Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,413 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Women Deserve Better - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Deserve Better (739 Views)

Honestly Nigerian Men Deserve Better. / Our Women Deserve Better / This Woman Doesn’t Deserve To Be Cheated On” – Man Shares How He Stopped Himself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 10:48am On Sep 14, 2021
You know, I am someone who believes and advocates that women should be treated right and accorded maximum respect. If you call me a FEMINIST, you might not be economical with truth.

Two days ago, I was having a discussion with wifey when I suddenly asked her what her long term goal is, as a mother and a wife. And as expected, she was smitten by my question and had to take a long breath to respond. Yet, her response was vague and illusive.

It's not entirely her fault, neither is it the fault of "most" women out there who believe that their priority when single is, to get married, and when married, to make babies for their husbands and relax while their husband's take care of them and probably dies from suffocation of excess bills to cater for.

As someone (feminist) who believes that women deserve more than they are accorded, I deemed it fit to start from my home. I will be the biggest hypocrite if I preach equality and fairness for women whereas my wife lives in bondage and cannot speak up or have a say in her own life, hence, I popped that question to wifey, in anticipation that it would stir up the awareness in her to demand and acknowledge that she worth better, by striving to have things going for her.

I have always taught my daughters that they can do anything/everything. In fact, I have stylishly eliminated "I can't" from their dictionary and I have been elated to see them struggle to make the right decisions even at their tender age.

Our parents had made the mistake of telling our sisters and wives that their focus should be on getting married, and after marriage, making babies and looking up to their husbands for change (little money they can make for/by themselves). And in turn, this has rendered so many women incapacitated immediately they lose their husbands as well as the male factors (providers) in their lives.

The above reason is why women are wrongly perceived as liabilities and people who only bring sex to the table in exchange for what their husband/boyfriend provides.
This is totally wrong and unacceptable as women are worth more and can do better.

"Most" men can do little without the assistance of their girlfriend, woman or wife, as regards taking care of themselves (washing their clothes, dishes and grooming). Whereas, a woman can do these and more by herself without depending on a man.

Let's help increase the worth of our women by encouraging them to do better, by empowering them, teaching them and supporting them to chase and build their dreams. They are not in competition with us (men), neither are they less of a human.

Never trade what you desire most for what you want at the moment!!!

4 Likes

Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2021
AFONAMARO:
Our parents had made the mistake of telling our sisters and wives that their focus should be on getting married, and after marriage, making babies and looking up to their husbands for change (little money they can make for/by themselves). And in turn, this has rendered so many women incapacitated immediately they lose their husbands as well as the male factors (providers) in their lives.

The above reason is why women are wrongly perceived as liabilities and people who only bring sex to the table in exchange for what their husband/boyfriend provides.
This is totally wrong and unacceptable as women are worth more and can do better.

"Most" men can do little without the assistance of their girlfriend, woman or wife, as regards taking care of themselves (washing their clothes, dishes and grooming). Whereas, a woman can do these and more by herself without depending on a man.

Let's help increase the worth of our women by encouraging them to do better, by empowering them, teaching them and supporting them to chase and build their dreams. They are not in competition with us (men), neither are they less of a human.

Never trade what you desire most for what you want at the moment!!!
Our parents and those before them did it wrong but are we doing it right today? undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by Klass99(f): 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2021
smiley
Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Our parents and those before them did it wrong but are we doing it right today? undecided

I personalised it by stating how I am raising my daughters as well as my resolve to ensuring that wifey is on the right path.

So, the question is, are you doing it right, today?

2 Likes

Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 2:07pm On Sep 14, 2021
Klass99:

kiss kiss kiss

Seven blessings to you for this entire post and 21 kisses in particular for the bolded part.

Hehehe!

Many thanks
Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2021
AFONAMARO:

I personalised it by stating how I am raising my daughters as well as my resolve to ensuring that wifey is on the right path.

So, the question is, are you doing it right, today?
Your story is that you are doing it. undecided

But is your wife and other mothers out there doing it? Or are they sitting back in the delusion expecting things to magically change, as our mothers and their mothers before them also did? undecided

Unless mothers wake up to change the way they live their lives and raise their gals and boys, the cycle is bound to continue. undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by JovialJune(f): 2:31pm On Sep 14, 2021
Nice one Op.

1 Like

Re: Women Deserve Better by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 14, 2021
Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Your story is that you are doing it. undecided

But is your wife and other mothers out there doing it? Or are they sitting back in the delusion expecting things to magically change, as our mothers and their mothers before them also did? undecided

Unless mothers wake up to change the way they live their lives and raise their gals and boys, the cycle is bound to continue. undecided

Your assertion is why we are having this problem in the first place. Why are you putting the blame on women alone? What is the work of the man (father/husband) who claim to be superior over women and an alpha male?

Until fathers/husbands (men) learn to play their role in raising the home (family), things will keep going south in the family.

A man's job is not limited to provision, but protecting and leading by example

1 Like

Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2021
Iyaebe:
All I sha know is that my husband will be the one to be doing everything financially,its a taboo where I come from for a woman to contribute financially.

And what happens in case of eventuality? You'd start putting the burden of your kid's on another innocent man, whereas you failed to plan your life.

Marriage is not a poverty alleviation scheme, neither is it a skill acquisition program. Build and improve yourself for a better tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 2:44pm On Sep 14, 2021
JovialJune:
Nice one Op.

Thank you
Re: Women Deserve Better by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 14, 2021
AFONAMARO:

And what happens in case of eventuality? You'd start putting the burden of your kid's on another innocent man, whereas you failed to plan your life.

Marriage is not a poverty alleviation scheme, neither is it a skill acquisition program. Build and improve yourself for a better tomorrow
Just joking,everything you wrote is seconded and thirded
Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2021
AFONAMARO:

Your assertion is why we are having this problem in the first place. 1. Why are you putting the blame on women alone? 2. What is the work of the man (father/husband) who claims to be superior over women and an alpha male?

Until fathers/husbands (men) learn to play their role in raising the home (family), things will keep going south in the family.

A man's job is not limited to provision, but protecting and leading by example
1. The blame does not lie only on the men folk since our society is not made up of just men but also of women. I daresay that women are the majority even. And the vast majority of these women raised by women and not the men. undecided

2. A man has no real power except the power he obtains from those around him. A man who claims to be superior only appears to have power because because women around him submit to him being so over them. The moment women wake up to see themselves as equals in whatever relationship exist, that power claimed by men disappears. undecided

There is no such thing as a "man's job"... even a woman can do what a man can do in a marriage ... what you call a "man's job", and we have seen this proven to us , even right there in Nigeria, many times before us to know this by now. undecided

This here is a link to a story of how one particular woman did what you call a "man's job" and did it very well too.
https://www.nairaland.com/6748029/familys-story-mum-won-time#105721336
Nigeria is littered with many stories such as these, of women doing a "man's job" ... I dare say it has become the norm in that country by now. undecided

However many of the same women, never border to teach their children, particularly the female children, that they are equal to men in all wise. They refuse to inform their children that men and women should be equal shareholders in whatever relationship they find themselves in. Women need to wake up to the truth that has been ever before them. undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by bukatyne(f): 3:34pm On Sep 14, 2021
@AFONAMARO:

Interesting convo with your wife/family.

Where I start losing interest in these types of threads fast is when I begin to read 'women were trained/taught not to aspire to anything' bla bla because the reality around me (not even my extended family) (for two generations and counting) and counting is different.

Maybe this is a cultural thing because housewifery is very discouraged (infact, the word for wife is Iyawo Ile (housewife) and husband is baale Ile (head of house/home).

Alluding that stay at home wives (wives who do not earn) are liabilities mean the individual has no grasp of what marriage and family life is all about. Women need to learn about their identities so they stop comparing themselves in relation to men. A fish will think himself stupid all his life if he is compared to a bird.

I have also realized that some women do not have dreams of earning or becoming the next Dangote or Alakija or Awosika which is fine. Some men do not have dreams either and work just because they need to feed their families. I have a colleague who has to use the continuity of their marriage to make his wife work. She did not see the reason to because her husband is the provider culturally.

It is so funny that we do not see that men still enjoy these comparison with them. On traditional roles, A man cannot cook nor clean and he gets a wife with his full chest; nobody calls him a domestic liability grin A woman wants a provider and suddenly she is called a liability.

According to Collins dictionary, a liability is someone who causes a lot of problems or embarrassment. Also burden, inconvenience, drawback, impediment etc.
How is God's name does a wife who is doing every other thing than bringing in money accept the tag above all because her husband provides the money?

My point is that this discussion is much more complex than we make it seem and there are a lot of moving parts.

Kudos to you encouraging your girls to be whatever they want to be (If the opposite is a thing around you). LoL @ 'they can do everything': no human being can do everything grin

@women deserving more than they are accorded: please explain further.

2 Likes

Re: Women Deserve Better by bukatyne(f): 3:39pm On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. The blame does not lie only on the men folk since our society is not made up of just men but also of men. The vast majority of these women raised by women and not the men. undecided

2. A man has no real power except the power he obtains from those around him. A man who claims to be superior only appears to have power because because women around him submit to him being so over them. The moment women wake up to see themselves as equals in whatever relationship exist, that power claimed by men disappears. undecided

There is no such thing as a "man's job"... even a woman can do what a man can do in a marriage ... what you call a "man's job", and we have seen this proven to us , even right there in Nigeria, many times before us to know this by now. undecided

This here is a link to a story of how one particular woman did what you call a "man's job" and did it very well too.
https://www.nairaland.com/6748029/familys-story-mum-won-time#105721336
Nigeria is littered with many stories such as these, of women doing a "man's job" ... I dare say it has become the norm in that country by now. undecided

However many of the same women, never border to teach their children, particularly the female children, that they are equal to men in all wise. They refuse to inform their children that men and women should be equal shareholders in whatever relationship they find themselves in. Women need to wake up to the truth that has been ever before them. undecided

That very thread was in my mind when I was responding to the OP.

@bold: how can I like the bolded of your posts over and over again?

1 Like

Re: Women Deserve Better by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 14, 2021
bukatyne:

That very thread was in my mind when I was responding to the OP.
@bold: how can I like the bolded of your posts over and over again?

Irony of life,me I have problems with the bolded
Re: Women Deserve Better by bukatyne(f): 4:00pm On Sep 14, 2021
Iyaebe:
Irony of life,me I have problems with the bolded

Well we have different perspectives to life.

Can you highlight why you have issues with them though?
Re: Women Deserve Better by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 14, 2021
bukatyne:

Well we have different perspectives to life.

Can you highlight why you have issues with them though?

I really can't explain, but maybe it has to do with my upbringing.I don't ever want to be equal with my man,I want him to be richer and above me in all aspects. If giving my future husband all I have to get him way richer than I am,then I'll gladly do it.I don't think I can manage the situation of been equal or richer than my man.I want to be under him in all aspects. Maybe I'm weird and wrong but this is my true person,this is how I want it to be.
Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Sep 14, 2021
Iyaebe:
I really can't explain, but maybe it has to do with my upbringing.I don't ever want to be equal with my man,I want him to be richer and above me in all aspects. If giving my future husband all I have to get him way richer than I am,then I'll gladly do it.I don't think I can manage the situation of been equal or richer than my man.I want to be under him in all aspects. Maybe I'm weird and wrong but this is my true person,this is how I want it to be.
What exactly is your understanding of what it means to say man and woman were created equal? undecided

What of your upbringing convinces you not to ever want to be "equal" to your man? undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by bukatyne(f): 4:16pm On Sep 14, 2021
Iyaebe:

When we are referring to 'equality' here, it is in worth and value.

What you have highlighted is roles in marriage.

You want your husband to be the sole provider while you handle the domestics, good for the both of you.

@bold: if this is not sarcasm, it is good you have highlighted what you want in your marriage. I pray you meet a man that is the right fit.

Tomorrow, when freedom fighters start blaming your husband, please be kind enough to say 'this is what I want'.

And you are not alone, a number of women actually WANT (not trained, indoctrinated or forced) that.
Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2021
bukatyne:
@AFONAMARO:

Interesting convo with your wife/family.

Where I start losing interest in these types of threads fast is when I begin to read 'women were trained/taught not to aspire to anything' bla bla because the reality around me (not even my extended family) (for two generations and counting) and counting is different.

Maybe this is a cultural thing because housewifery is very discouraged (infact, the word for wife is Iyawo Ile (housewife) and husband is baale Ile (head of house/home).

Alluding that stay at home wives (wives who do not earn) are liabilities mean the individual has no grasp of what marriage and family life is all about. Women need to learn about their identities so they stop comparing themselves in relation to men. A fish will think himself stupid all his life if he is compared to a bird.

I have also realized that some women do not have dreams of earning or becoming the next Dangote or Alakija or Awosika which is fine. Some men do not have dreams either and work just because they need to feed their families. I have a colleague who has to use the continuity of their marriage to make his wife work. She did not see the reason to because her husband is the provider culturally.

It is so funny that we do not see that men still enjoy these comparison with them. On traditional roles, A man cannot cook nor clean and he gets a wife with his full chest; nobody calls him a domestic liability grin A woman wants a provider and suddenly she is called a liability.

According to Collins dictionary, a liability is someone who causes a lot of problems or embarrassment. Also burden, inconvenience, drawback, impediment etc.
How is God's name does a wife who is doing every other thing than bringing in money accept the tag above all because her husband provides the money?

My point is that this discussion is much more complex than we make it seem and there are a lot of moving parts.

Kudos to you encouraging your girls to be whatever they want to be (If the opposite is a thing around you). LoL @ 'they can do everything': no human being can do everything grin

@women deserving more than they are accorded: please explain further.

The average Nigerian man thinks/believes that a woman's priority should be laced around marriage and child rearing, and that a woman's dream is subjected to the wish of her husband once married. And this has been one of the biggest issues facing single ladies as their parents in most cases, have already given them the orientation that the goal is to attract a man, get married and start making babies.

Owing to the above, most young Nigerian women have been subjected to accept that their biggest achievement would be, getting a man and settling down, while fulfillment comes from being able to make babies for their respective husbands.

About me telling my daughters that they can do anything/everything; we all have different workable ways or measures (words of encouragement) we prefer to adopt in motivating our kids to do better, which they'd make better meaning of, when they are grown and start making decisions for themselves.
See the aforementioned phrase as my own approach towards ensuring that my kids do not see any ladder as too big for them to climb, towards attaining a set goal or target.
Re: Women Deserve Better by crackhaus: 6:26pm On Sep 14, 2021
Let's help increase the worth of our women by encouraging them to do better, by empowering them, teaching them and supporting them to chase and build their dreams.
Like adults do for children...

Noted. cool
Re: Women Deserve Better by crackhaus: 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2021
bukatyne:

Is this the new-age definition of liability?
Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Sep 14, 2021
AFONAMARO:

The average Nigerian man thinks/believes that a woman's priority should be laced around marriage and child rearing, and that a woman's dream is subjected to the wish of her husband once married. And this has been one of the biggest issues facing single ladies as their parents in most cases, have already given them the orientation that the goal is to attract a man, get married and start making babies.

Owing to the above, most young Nigerian women have been subjected to accept that their biggest achievement would be, getting a man and settling down, while fulfillment comes from being able to make babies for their respective husbands.
Subjected to accept by whom? undecided

You continue to make it appear as though the women need the men's permission to think or something. undecided

Regardless of how men think, women are free to believe as they please. They don't need to care or pay attention to what men think or how men see them. A man's opinion is not golden to a woman and shouldn't be treated as such. undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by Richy4(m): 1:41am On Sep 15, 2021
Is there a gender that ought to be treated wrongly?
There are many men out there who are docile.. nice to a fault whose wives were been treated badly..

U guys should try and balance some of your write ups sometimes...
Those men suffering under the hands of their wives, Who cannot voice out their problems to avoid being ridiculed by their fellow male counterparts, Who are their advocates?... Do you think it's only women that are suffering?

I guess some of u might be thinking..yea they are not man enough.. yea they should man up, etc... What if that's just their nature?

1 Like

Re: Women Deserve Better by Kobojunkie: 1:50am On Sep 15, 2021
Richy4:
Is there a gender that ought to be treated wrongly?
There are many men out there who are docile.. nice to a fault whose wives were been treated badly..

U guys should try and balance some of your write ups sometimes...
Those men suffering under the hands of their wives, Who cannot voice out their problems to avoid being ridiculed by their fellow male counterparts, Who are their advocates?... Do you think it's only women that are suffering?

I guess some of u might be thinking..yea they are not man enough.. yea they should man up, etc... What if that's just their nature?
Can you be a bit more specific about the kind of the suffering you claim these men endure under their wives? undecided
Re: Women Deserve Better by efficiencie(m): 2:09am On Sep 15, 2021
While exposing females to lofty ideas and opportunities that enables them widen their choices is great, we must understand that there are limits. Whatever made a male student opt to study history and not theoretical physics could very well be the reason some ladies prefer a life of servitude with a ton of perks to that of a financially successful CEO. We cannot deny that some endeavours, irrespective of gender, demand a lot of dedication, delayed gratification and endurance...to be a successful software engineer in a niche already dominated by daredevil software engineers you may need to pay price much greater than the price required to be a marketer and this has nothing to do with gender. Hence, let's be realistic for once and cut the motivational BS. You cannot be whatever you want if the price of being whatever you want is greater than you can afford. Last last oga OP, if you are not careful your daughters will be singing "this life I can't kee myself, I cant kee myself ohhh, I cant kee myself. Allow me to flex..." in response to all your hyper motivation. In my own opinion, teacher your daughters to reach deep within themselves and discover what makes them unique from every other person. Therein lies the key to their continued relevance.

2 Likes

Re: Women Deserve Better by Richy4(m): 2:30am On Sep 15, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Can you be a bit more specific about the kind of the suffering you claim these men endure under their wives? undecided

If U want a decent conversation with me buddy or any time you quote me to have a chat with you, please get rid of that emoji.. It's just irritating to me... As soon as u comply, then we can talk.
Re: Women Deserve Better by faithfull18(f): 9:13am On Sep 15, 2021
. Some will come here to start baseless arguments for argument sake.
Re: Women Deserve Better by AFONAMARO: 11:03am On Sep 15, 2021
faithfull18:
. Some will come here to start baseless arguments for argument sake.

I am already seeing them above, won't even indulge them

(1) (Reply)

Gas Cooker / Oven Repair/install Service In Lagos / Help, I'm Been Accused Of Bewitching My Husbands Second Wife. / I Am On The Verge Of Letting Go........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.