Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,881 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit (18340 Views)

Rising Cost Of Food Items In Nigeria (See Photos) / Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick / Abacha Food: How To Prepare Abacha|african Salad Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by aluyapreston: 1:57pm On Sep 17, 2021
BigSarah:
1k to 1.3k per week? So you can survive on 5k per month in 2021? Even in 2015 sef impossible

That's a lie, even in a day how's that possible
hello ma. I survived on 1k per week in 2018 and 2019 when in school. my dad sends me 2k then weekly. in a month that is 8k. i will divide it into 2 and use just 4k and save the remaining 4k. oh my God, i drank garri then like mad. big bowl of garri consistently for two years with beans, and some oil rice. Nothing like stew rice. then i come still sell PPRH bread small in UNIBEN . i did not change my eating habit. within the two years i saved 95k out of my small small 1k weekly savings, and Delta state bursary i received once.

After school, i no go house. just carry my 95k go start life. Now it is 2021. those suffer don end. I no dey earn in milions now but i dey earn enough to send money go house and stil have savings in hundred of thousands monthly.

so i think a determined nigga can survive in 2021 with N1.5k. The human mind can do impossible things if you will it to.

the secret is just to know why you are suffering and why you must end it in a few years time

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

6 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Calibrator: 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2021
Depends on your diet, for people like me that don't eat meat and have special dietary needs.

Come and spend 1,300 in a week na.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2021
olioxx:
Those of you saying, "Cooking at home is cheaper." You are getting it wrong ooo. How wuna dey do am, una nor dey buy gas or kerosine? abi nah firewood una dey use.
I cook at home, but it is not cheap again ooo.

I took N7500 to market to do my fortnight shopping, I was frustrated when I got to the market.
4 derica beans is N2200 #2.8k, 4 derica rice is N2300 #1.8k, quarter kg of gas is N850, dozen of spaghetti is N1700 #3.36k. I was asking the woman to pity me, and then she told me that egusi don cost, egusi I used to buy for N300 before is now N500. 1 paint of Garri is N950, nah so I just respect myself and buy half paint.

Price of food is jumping at a geometric progression. Nah 1 0 1 I dey do now.

Take note of the editing.
That's how costly things are over here. As for the rice, maybe na me dey chop low-quality rice. Where do you live, bro?

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Limassol(m): 2:06pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
i dont have 10k to spend in a week ma

secondly i dont eat only rice and garri. read the post again

as a student there are food stuffs you take from home which you dont count as expenses like yam, beans, garri, potato, plantain, etc. i have those.

so my expenses comes primarily from buying ingredients
Dude,if what you write here is anything to go by,then you are very much likely to be malnourished,in fact, you are basically surviving. My hope is things get better for you.

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Mummiesboy: 2:08pm On Sep 17, 2021
Craze na em full nairala i swear grin

2 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Mummiesboy: 2:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
Craze na em full nairaland i swear grin
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Davash222(m): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
UndauntedYOCA:

Lol, Tiv people can eat without soup or stew as long as there's fish or meat, there's even a name for that but I have forgotten it.
A family I took like mine when I was in the Barrack in Benue state would sometimes offer me meals like that but as per my tribe, I no fit try am. Me wey like soup and stew like say tomorrow now dey. grin grin grin
I'm interested in your tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Lighthammer(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2021
Am forced to eat once now.with the way things are,infact am just eating since morning now..the rest na tomorrow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Bekind123: 2:22pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
people here are sensible enough to know that fufu and soup goes together so they dont sell them separately. so if you buy fufu, you are also entitled to the soup.

sorry if they are not so bright in your area. no insult intended
You have not seen people who eat fufu and this their meat and kpomo garnished with pepper. That means, you've not seen things in Lagos. You go nearly vommit.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by AuroraB(f): 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
BigSarah:
1k to 1.3k per week? So you can survive on 5k per month in 2021? Even in 2015 sef impossible

He knows he's lying but he can kontinu cheesy grin
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by eedimo(m): 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
people here are sensible enough to know that fufu and soup goes together so they dont sell them separately. so if you buy fufu, you are also entitled to the soup.

Lie from the pit of hell.
I have lived in Gboko and Makurdi, the Tiv poeple usually don't eat fufu with soup. They buy fufu and #50 fish and the rest is to whom it may concern.

The soup they sell at the road side is usually okra boiled in water and nothing more.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by AuroraB(f): 2:30pm On Sep 17, 2021
BigSarah:

He knows he's lying but he can kontinu cheesy grin
Meat 250 undecided
Inukwa irĂ³ ojukoroju sad
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by PearlFid(f): 2:50pm On Sep 17, 2021
BigSarah:

Is very possible, when I was in school I even used 1000naira for soup and stew, bag of water and Sunday offering.
I have the basic things in bulk

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by PearlFid(f): 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
i dont have 10k to spend in a week ma

secondly i dont eat only rice and garri. read the post again

as a student there are food stuffs you take from home which you dont count as expenses like yam, beans, garri, potato, plantain, etc. i have those.

so my expenses comes primarily from buying ingredients
you're a good child, I was once like you before things get better.

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by GeneralKoko(m): 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
Hello Nlders

Its no longer news that things are mightily expensive in the market especially food stuffs.

It is even harder for me and i believe a lot of other students included.

this has led me to changing my eating habit and surprisingly i seem to love it now more than ever before. dont get me wrong. ..i still detest the rising cost of living.

the part i love is that i now eat healthier now than before.

before now, bread and coke was a major part of my daily meal. sometimes i eat that for lunch and then dinner.

most times, i'd spent #150 on bread and #150 on coke making it #300.

or i'd eat outside. most times i buy fufu of #100 and then meat of #50 and i'll be okay. its benue state so the food was quite okay.

coming to the present, bread of #150 can no longer satisfy me as it is now so small. Nowadays, i'll need around #300 just for bread.

it seems like the sellers these days dont even know how much to sell the bread again. ..sometimes its #250 sometimes its #350.

and fufu nowadays cost #200 (300 if you really want to be satisfied) and meat is 100.

one day i sat down and thought it would be much more cost effective if i start cooking more and buying less.

well it turns out to be so. nowadays i spend only about 1k-1.3k per week on feeding. i use the money to prepare both soup and stew for the week. since i already have rice and garri i do not factor those in.

my market list often goes like this:

stew:

tomato #500
pepper #100
onion #100 or #50
meat #200 or #250 (those mallam recognize us as student...they call it student meat)
crayfish #50

and for soup:

ogbono #150
kpomo #200
crayfish #100
leaf #100

I buy palm oil and groundnut oil with maggi in bulk. so its once in a way.

i'm not the best cook but i found out i recently love cooking and have experimenting. I'm always watching youtube cook videos even when i'm cooking.

my friends dey laff me sometimes sha but me no send o. btw, nowadays i de cook stew die! still perfecting my soup skills sha.

1.5k in a week

I'm not surprised! You live in "The food basket of the nation"

Spits!
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by GeneralKoko(m): 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:

So you were buying fufu and soup that would satisfy you for #100?

Port Harcourt is cursed!
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by WaffenSS(m): 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2021
The things that make front page these days undecided
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by MNDY(m): 3:43pm On Sep 17, 2021
bmdmix11:
I eat out, I don't cook any more.

just rotate the eating

200 to 350 per meal

better than buying food stuff n buying kero just to eat it ones n wash pot b looking @ how much u don spend

Thought I've been f*cking up since. Indecisive about getting a gas and pots in the new place I just resumed work.

If I eat out nack swallow twice a day, nothing do me throughout dat day again. I love EBA and egusi ehn. I no kuku sabi cook.

The struggle to find who will cook for me and the pain of the crazy price of foodstuffs in Nigeria.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Premiumwriter2: 3:46pm On Sep 17, 2021
Limassol:
Dude,if what you write here is anything to go by,then you are very much likely to be malnourished,in fact, you are basically surviving. My hope is things get better for you.
grin

Malnourished ke. I can 200% guarantee you that I'm not the slightest bit malnourished.

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Premiumwriter2: 3:48pm On Sep 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:

So you were buying fufu and soup that would satisfy you for #100?

Port Harcourt is cursed!
not cursed bro.

Benue produce most of its foods so we tend to buy only when necessary.

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Premiumwriter2: 3:51pm On Sep 17, 2021
eedimo:

Lie from the pit of hell.
I have lived in Gboko and Makurdi, the Tiv poeple usually don't eat fufu with soup. They buy fufu and #50 fish and the rest is to whom it may concern.

The soup they sell at the road side is usually okra boiled in water and nothing more.
first off,

I'm not tiv. Tiv are not the only one in benue state.

Secondly, a lot of tiv people I see eating in restaurants do eat their fufu with soup. They eat with a lot of meat in it... More than I ever thought possible.

I have never seen any of them eating only fufu with meat and no soup. Though we tend to mock them that they do it but I've never seen anyone doing that.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by suffering: 3:54pm On Sep 17, 2021
Lol. Nairaland millionaires on the beat. I pity una.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Premiumwriter2: 3:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
aluyapreston:

hello ma. I survived on 1k per week in 2018 and 2019 when in school. my dad sends me 2k then weekly. in a month that is 8k. i will divide it into 2 and use just 4k and save the remaining 4k. oh my God, i drank garri then like mad. big bowl of garri consistently for two years with beans, and some oil rice. Nothing like stew rice. then i come still sell PPRH bread small in UNIBEN . i did not change my eating habit. within the two years i saved 95k out of my small small 1k weekly savings, and Delta state bursary i received once.

After school, i no go house. just carry my 95k go start life. Now it is 2021. those suffer don end. I no dey earn in milions now but i dey earn enough to send money go house and stil have savings in hundred of thousands monthly.

so i think a determined nigga can survive in 2021 with N1.5k. The human mind can do impossible things if you will it to.

the secret is just to know why you are suffering and why you must end it in a few years time

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
surprises me that a lot of people thinks it's impossible but sha I just de share my experience

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by eedimo(m): 3:58pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
first off,

Secondly, a lot of tiv people I see eating in restaurants do eat their fufu with soup. They eat with a lot of meat in it... More than I ever thought possible.

I have never seen any of them eating only fufu with meat and no soup. Though we tend to mock them that they do it but I've never seen anyone doing that.
At least I worked in Gboko and Makurdi for 7 years, I mingled, I ate. You are only there for educational reasons.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by eedimo(m): 3:59pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
first off,

At least I worked in Gboko and Makurdi for 7 years, I mingled, I ate. You are only there for educational reasons.
Isn't that enough reason to believe me?
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Reference(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
Hello Nlders

Its no longer news that things are mightily expensive in the market especially food stuffs.

It is even harder for me and i believe a lot of other students included.

this has led me to changing my eating habit and surprisingly i seem to love it now more than ever before. dont get me wrong. ..i still detest the rising cost of living.

the part i love is that i now eat healthier now than before.

before now, bread and coke was a major part of my daily meal. sometimes i eat that for lunch and then dinner.

most times, i'd spent #150 on bread and #150 on coke making it #300.

or i'd eat outside. most times i buy fufu of #100 and then meat of #50 and i'll be okay. its benue state so the food was quite okay.

coming to the present, bread of #150 can no longer satisfy me as it is now so small. Nowadays, i'll need around #300 just for bread.

it seems like the sellers these days dont even know how much to sell the bread again. ..sometimes its #250 sometimes its #350.

and fufu nowadays cost #200 (300 if you really want to be satisfied) and meat is 100.

one day i sat down and thought it would be much more cost effective if i start cooking more and buying less.

well it turns out to be so. nowadays i spend only about 1k-1.3k per week on feeding. i use the money to prepare both soup and stew for the week. since i already have rice and garri i do not factor those in.

my market list often goes like this:

stew:

tomato #500
pepper #100
onion #100 or #50
meat #200 or #250 (those mallam recognize us as student...they call it student meat)
crayfish #50

and for soup:

ogbono #150
kpomo #200
crayfish #100
leaf #100

I buy palm oil and groundnut oil with maggi in bulk. so its once in a way.

i'm not the best cook but i found out i recently love cooking and have experimenting. I'm always watching youtube cook videos even when i'm cooking.

my friends dey laff me sometimes sha but me no send o. btw, nowadays i de cook stew die! still perfecting my soup skills sha.

Hmmmm.....naso.... but the mystery surrounding all these is that after all said and done, next elections you will still queue up to empower your oppressors and even fight those trying to ask in pity if the long term malnutrition has not affected the faculty upstairs....

You will soon hear stories about how desperate Nigerians are trying to squeeze water from stone but just to say 'enough is enough' to their so called leaders, mba. He is my tribesman..... it is our turn....
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by drLammy(m): 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2021
I started cooking on Tuesday since October last year when I last went to the market to get foodstuffs.
Mehn things don cost, we just be like money disappear but right now I'm not considering going back to eating outside.
I eat a meal a day and now rat to my satisfaction
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by wildikeman(m): 5:02pm On Sep 17, 2021
I eat twice a day. The same food twice daily. Rice....rice... Rice... Rice...
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Limassol(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
grin

Malnourished ke. I can 200% guarantee you that I'm not the slightest bit malnourished.
My brother, everybody is a millonaire on social media. Have a nice day.
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Angelacruz: 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2021
Chisos!guy u wicked ooo
BeardedMeat:
Still expensive.

Are there no grasses in Benue?

Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by MissEfe(f): 7:00pm On Sep 17, 2021
UndauntedYOCA:

Yes!!! That's the word! Thank you sis! I always found it funny sha.
I no ever try am till I left o. I love soup like kilode.
And you people too like pork ehn, dem fit use am do Una. grin grin grin grin
You're Tiv, aren't you?
I'm not tiv oh...
I only came for work here
I do learn fast though
I've been here for 5months now
Re: Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit by Tonyx5(m): 7:25pm On Sep 17, 2021
Davash222:

You can't eat soup and fufu for N100 and still have sense.
I swear grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maggi Family Menu: / Why Do I Purge After Eating Nkwobi Or Goat Head? / How Much Is Cooked Egg Sold In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.