Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs (8083 Views)

Women In Tech: How To Stand Out In A Male Dominated Industry / How Women Can Get Ahead In Male-dominated Sectors / 10 Male-dominated Careers/skills Where Women Will Also Shine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by tolguy(m): 11:08am On Sep 15, 2021
what happened to WHEEL BARROW PUSHING?
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by Zeegold12(f): 11:20am On Sep 15, 2021
hmm
its not as easy as you think anyways
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by ImaIma1(f): 11:23am On Sep 15, 2021
truthsayer009:

Same thing happens in professional organizations too. Women are giving less daunting activities. That's why most people in the BULK room in banks are men because the work is very tedious while the customer care in the banks are more of women.

I don't know why some people don't want to be honest about this and focus on negatives.

I disagree, especially with your example. Women also do tedious jobs. I worked in a bank for years and we usually had mostly ladies in our bulk room and as tellers.

The way they count money with expertise was very impressive. Even all the cash officers that worked there were ladies. The branch operations managers that worked in that branch while I was there were 4 ladies and 2 guys.

Don't underestimate women. Out of 4 female branch ops managers, 3 were spectacular while one was nothing to write home about.

If it's banks, gender doesn't count. From Account Officers to DSAs to tellers, everyone is expected meet their target without concession.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by BRATISLAVA: 11:38am On Sep 15, 2021
mrdharkchild:
Women talks.
All they do is make noise.
Women should never be taken seriously.
The other day I wanted to teach a girl how to play chess, she laughed.
I asked for the reason behind her laughter, she responded that it's too stressful.

If you ever take a WOMAN seriously and hark into her words, you'd want to strangle her. They always never make sense.

Funny. I've met a man that didn't want to learn chess because he said it is hard. And not just him. Some men can't even handle elementary A-level mathematics.

What do we say to that? Can we conclude that men shouldn't be taken seriously?

The way some men conclude on some stereotypes is amazing. Is it that you didn't go to school with girls that you think they can't play chess? Or that you feel they can't just because they are girls? Or that the few you met that have interests other than chess are the standard?

Level the playing field, i.e. remove your stereotypes and unrealistic expectations, and see if females won't meet up if they aren't saddled with gender roles and stereotypes.

Too many kids on this forum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 15, 2021
ImaIma1:

I disagree, especially with your example. Women also do tedious jobs. I worked in a bank for years and we usually had mostly ladies in our bulk room and as tellers.

The way they count money with expertise was very impressive. Even all the cash officers that worked there were ladies. The branch operations managers that worked in that branch while I was there were 4 ladies and 2 guys.

Don't underestimate women. Out of 4 female branch ops managers, 3 were spectacular while one was nothing to write home about.

If it's banks, gender doesn't count. From Account Officers to DSAs to tellers, everyone is expected meet their target without concession.

Wow really, i can't remember seeing a woman inside Bulk room. Maybe once or twice but it has never been common for me. Anyway, it's only Zenith bulk room i have been to.

I'm not underestimating women, i was referring to jobs that are physically tedious.

Being brainy is not the same as doing tedious jobs. Branch Manager's work is brains, not necessarily physically tedious. It's more of mental work.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by ImaIma1(f): 12:37pm On Sep 15, 2021
truthsayer009:

Wow really, i can't remember seeing a woman inside Bulk room. Maybe once or twice but it has never been common for me. Anyway, it's only Zenith bulk room i have been to.

I'm not underestimating women, i was referring to jobs that are physically tedious.

Being brainy is not the same as doing tedious jobs. Branch Manager's work is brains, not necessarily physically tedious. It's more of mental work.

Former Diamond bank had mostly ladies in their bulk room in my branches.

Branch Manager is not just mental. It's physical too. You have to visit customers around to try and seal deals. You go with your account officers and DSAs for storms (mass.marketing). Even the mental aspect is tasking.

There are so many jobs that women take up these days and compete with their male counterparts.

I have a friend that is into renting out and selling of generators. She's called the generator girl. She handles all those industrial gens so well. Women are not sitting back at all these days.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by VTJN(m): 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Funny. I've met a man that didn't want to learn chess because he said it is hard. And not just him. Some men can't even handle elementary A-level mathematics.

The way some men conclude on some stereotypes is amazing. Is it that you didn't go to school with girls that you think they can't play chess? Or that you feel they can't just because they are girls? Or that the few you met that have interests other than chess are the standard?

Level the playing field, i.e. remove your stereotypes and unrealistic expectations, and see if females won't meet up if they aren't saddled with gender roles and stereotypes.

Don't be surprised some of them might not be kids, they are just being dumb looking down on women

I don't seems to believe all guys saying jargons on this forum about women are kids. Some are grown up guys whose sense of reasoning is woke

They are best described as baby adult smiley
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by VTJN(m): 1:00pm On Sep 15, 2021
ImaIma1:

Former Diamond bank had mostly ladies in their bulk room in my branches.

Branch Manager is not just mental. It's physical too. You have to visit customers around to try and seal deals. You go with your account officers and DSAs for storms (mass.marketing). Even the mental aspect is tasking.

There are so many jobs that women take up these days and compete with their male counterparts.

I have a friend that is into renting out and selling of generators. She's called the generator girl. She handles all those industrial gens so well. Women are not sitting back at all these days.

well said

Women are absolutely pushing lately. They ain't leaving any stone unturned. I'm always happy seeing them in all sectors putting their own quota
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by cococandy(f): 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2021
truthsayer009:

You only focus on the negatives.

You are painting an incomplete picture, what you are saying is just one aspect of it which is how people perceive you at first glance.

This is only an issue because the medical field is customer facing, once you prove yourself once, that is all you need. You become a super star amongst your male colleagues.

Being a lady in a male dominated field or vice versa makes you unique and you move up the ladder faster.

In tech for example, we have what we call diversity hire, a lot of women are giving higher priority in hiring. If they are more than average they become super stars. Shopify Canada is one company that does this 100% because i have witnessed it from them.

Once you prove yourself once, that's all you need. You earn your respect!

But you have to prove yourself first. So no free pass then.

Diversity hire by definition means that the organization is made to hire QUALIFIED people of that group because traditionally they would not hire them even though they are very qualified. So it’s not a free pass either. It’s just a system to curb oppression.
I’m not seeing only the negatives. Just the way it is

2 Likes

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by cococandy(f): 1:09pm On Sep 15, 2021
As expected. Tell me what I’m seeing because my eyes don’t work..
At least I’m glad you recognize that you guys are prejudiced against women.
Only problem is that you keep all the smoke for those you think are fighting prejudice but not the prejudiced themselves.
Diet misogynist
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Stop reading nonsense feminazi posts that purposely create their own narrative.

I have read this narrative a thousand times from a thousand feminists and I'm sure you have too. Make Una try form another story abeg.

It's these narratives that is holding you back. Your lenses have been skewed so much so that, if someone simply coughs around, you are forced to assume it is an attack on your gender.

In fighting prejudice, you yourself become prejudiced.

But then again you can keep wallowing in your victim-hood mentality. And the world will always do what it does—we will give you our pity.

1 Like

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 15, 2021
cococandy:
As expected. Tell me what I’m seeing because my eyes don’t work..
At least I’m glad you recognize that you guys are prejudiced against women.
Only problem is that you keep all the smoke for those you think are fighting prejudice but not the prejudiced themselves.
Diet misogynist
Strong independent woman
Self-made
grin cheesy grin

So in the hospitals you've been to here in Nigeria, you've seen patients ask nurses to "get them coffee with ice" or are you mixing up the narrative here? Haba! You don't even know which lie to roll with. Whether it's the doctor-mistakened-for-nurse or ceo-mistakened-for-desk-receptionist.
God!
African feminists suffer from big time inferiority complex. Taking fake narratives from the western world and rubbing it all over as their own story.
At least make Una dey try tailor the story to the Nigerian setting now. It will make it more believable
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by BRATISLAVA: 2:26pm On Sep 15, 2021
VTJN:
Don't be surprised some of them might not be kids, they are just being dumb looking down on women

I don't seems to believe all guys saying jargons on this forum about women are kids. Some are grown up guys whose sense of reasoning is woke

They are best described as baby adult smiley

But it's only kids that could reason like that, because they lack life experience. Right? I refuse to believe that a man of 25 or 30 will engage in such thinking. At least a man that is well-balanced.

These must be kids in their teens trying to appear cool by bashing the females.

Or adult babies.

1 Like

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by bukatyne(f): 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
dingbang:
her mum recently called her for money to subscribe for gotv, her dad barely gives her money and she finds it worrisome.

From her conversations with male friends on phone, she always asks for data or recharge card, i try to advise her against such as they would take advantage of her as she doesnt have to depend on men for her day to day needs.

I also find it worrisome that instead of her parents to fend for her, they are comfortable living off a child that has no visible source of income.

Keep up the good work and I hope she utilizes the opportunity you have given her.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by dingbang(m): 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2021
bukatyne:

I also find it worrisome that instead of her parents to fend for her, they are comfortable living off a child that has no visible source of income.

Keep up the good work and I hope she utilizes the opportunity you have given her.
yeah she is. Its day two of her training and she has gone to the barbing salon, by weekend I should be buying her barbing kits.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by ImaIma1(f): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2021
VTJN:
well said

Women are absolutely pushing lately. They ain't leaving any stone unturned. I'm always happy seeing them in all sectors putting their own quota

We will always have the ones who prefer to bury their brains and depend on men to fund their lives.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by efficiencie(m): 3:17pm On Sep 15, 2021
Calitoscassius:
What are you on about? Did you read the article atall? Or maybe you didn't understand it? This is how people fail common reading and comprehension tests. cheesy

I stated my opinion but unfortunately there are folks like you that have little or nothing to contribute but think themselves an umpire of reason...though they are actually bereft of any form reasoning.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by bukatyne(f): 3:18pm On Sep 15, 2021
ImaIma1:

You are right about the female keke drivers and minibus drivers. They are quite many around and seem to be doing well. The agberos don't stress them as much as they do the men.

Luckily, I am not the only that sees it, women win some, men win some.

Thank God it is not all gloom for women.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by apatheticme(f): 3:53pm On Sep 15, 2021
dingbang:
I've observed through life that a lot of ladies are dominating job roles meant for men and this is commendable. As a woman doing such, you get to find out that people encourage you to continue and never give up, while some who are kind hearted even bless you financially as a form of encouragement. When you hammer, people would be like, eh, she don go sleep with one Alhaji like that, na why she go buy venza, not knowing it was your hardwork and doggedness that paid off, or someone liked your work and gave you a mad ass contract running into millions.

Benefits

1. You get free pass as a woman

2. You get more customers

3. Customers could even encourage you by telling you to keep the change.

Businesses/jobs you can engage in as a woman

1. Keke driving business

2. Barbing business

3. Painting jobs

4. POP jobs

5. Stamped concrete fixing (juicy)

6. Auto engineer

7. Tiling

8. Electrical wiring

9. Carpentry design

10. Roofing.

Make that bold decision as a woman today and take up jobs that the society thinks are only meant for women.

Bless you.

I support women venturing out into fields that are male dominated and tasking, but bros that POP and roofing nor follow at all, haba!!!!

When I saw how POP ceiling is being made, omor that thing dey stressful oh! Even some men nor fit do that stuff.

Then roofing, like wtf!!

Make person climb woodwork of about 20ft or more come dey hang Gerrard or Step tiles, ha!!

Abeg oh, women nor go fit do that one oh!
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by dingbang(m): 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2021
apatheticme:

I support women venturing out into fields that are male dominated and tasking, but bros that POP and roofing nor follow at all, haba!!!!

When I saw how POP ceiling is being made, omor that thing dey stressful oh! Even some men nor fit do that stuff.

Then roofing, like wtf!!

Make person climb woodwork of about 20ft or more come dey hang Gerrard or Step tiles, ha!!

Abeg oh, women nor go fit do that one oh!
the same pop you are saying is stressful is the same pop a friend of mine who is a woman is doing and she is driving a mas ass benz as we chat. Pls do not limit yourself. This world is not for slackers.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by KillAlabi2021(m): 4:36pm On Sep 15, 2021
bukatyne:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Women enjoy more patronage and leeway in male dominated blue collar jobs if prospecting customers can get past the gender.

I notice that agberos do not collect money from women drivers (buses/cars and Kekes).

If the woman's vehicle breaks down, the men quickly jump out to help her push it. Peeps are also willing to leave their change with them.

In retrospect, I think it goes both ways.

Male hairdressers also enjoy more patronage and leeway.

You're not intelligent
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by Calitoscassius(m): 4:37pm On Sep 15, 2021
efficiencie:

I stated my opinion but unfortunately there are folks like you that have little or nothing to contribute but think themselves an umpire of reason...though they are actually bereft of any form reasoning.
More rubbish!! undecided

You still made no sense!!
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by KillAlabi2021(m): 4:38pm On Sep 15, 2021
efficiencie:
Financial success almost always comes down to demand and supply...and has nothing to do with gender!

You're not intelligent
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by apatheticme(f): 5:03pm On Sep 15, 2021
dingbang:
the same pop you are saying is stressful is the same pop a friend of mine who is a woman is doing and she is driving a mas ass benz as we chat. Pls do not limit yourself. This world is not for slackers.

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by dingbang(m): 5:10pm On Sep 15, 2021
apatheticme:

I drive a 4Matic SUV Benz too, GLK at that. But I just felt ceiling POP is stressful!

Well, to each their own sha!

Shalom!
good. Now you talking, to each, their own.let us not judge them .

You didnt have to tell us what kind of benz you drive, keep it private, you do not know who is stalking.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by apatheticme(f): 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2021
dingbang:
good. Now you talking, to each, their own.let us not judge them .

You didnt have to tell us what kind of benz you drive, keep it private, you do not know who is stalking.

I didn't judge tho', more like I assumed women won't be able to do POP. My bad! Apparently there exist stronger women than me.

As for stalking, the stalker doesn't know the kinda person he's stalking too wink

Shalom
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by dingbang(m): 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2021
apatheticme:

I didn't judge tho', more like I assumed women won't be able to do POP. My bad! Apparently there exist stronger women than me.

As for stalking, the stalker doesn't know the kinda person he's stalking too wink

Shalom
better, because where your strength stop, na where another person own start.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by Majestybaba92(m): 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2021
Men in Edo state will not allow a woman to touch their head

dingbang:
true it does go both ways, it is a pity that many ladies do not really understand the vast opportunities that await them when they fit into such roles. I'm currently sponsoring a lady on barbing training and when she is done, i'll set up a barbing shop for her so she can fend for herself. I really don't like the way she asks men for little things like data or airtime.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by dingbang(m): 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
Majestybaba92:
Men in Edo state will not allow a woman to touch their head

africans though.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by mrdharkchild(m): 6:17pm On Sep 15, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Don't worry. U go soon feel am.
Leave all these analysis and English we de speak. Na reality de do d final talking cheesy
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by adexpa(m): 7:19pm On Sep 15, 2021
The entire ideal is ...... women should jettison the orientation of dependence under disguise of no jobs. Until women can totally embrace the idealogy of what man can do a woman can do so, they will remain a slave indirectly.
Seriously, many women would have become business owners if they could venture into some jobs they sees to be for men. With background knowledge in a particular field, it's easier to enter offices and convince directors to win contracts as a woman.
This thread is not critics but a wake up call

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by efficiencie(m): 12:44am On Sep 16, 2021
KillAlabi2021:

You're not intelligent

And you are the most intelligent person in the world...more intelligent than Terrance Tao! Congratulations.
Re: Why Women Should Get Into Male Dominated Jobs by midehill(m): 6:38am On Sep 16, 2021
adexpa:
The entire ideal is ...... women should jettison the orientation of dependence under disguise of no jobs. Until women can totally embrace the idealogy of what man can do a woman can do so, they will remain a slave indirectly.
Seriously, many women would have become business owners if they could venture into some jobs they sees to be for men. With background knowledge in a particular field, it's easier to enter offices and convince directors to win contracts as a woman.
This thread is not critics but a wake up call

You dey give dem advise of collecting all our jobs finish abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDLEA Sacks Female Staff For Marrying A Driver. / Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? / Teachers Recruitment Exercise : Akwa Ibom Recalls Sacked 5000 Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.