Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts (56671 Views)

Bamboo, Nairabet, Abokifx: CBN Unfreezes Bank Accounts Of 440 Persons, Companies / AbokiFX: Emefiele To Oniwinde Adedotun “Come Let's Fight” (Video) / CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by hosemujica: 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
Before I do any $ transaction I check their site first these guys are awesome.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by 2fast4u: 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

Whether the world accepts naira or not, shouldnt be what bothers us, we should produce what we are importing.

Easy to say, impossible to implement.. Nigeria is so far behind that we need 100's of years to be like India or China.

Manufacturing takes billions of dollars in Research and development, stable electricity, Good universities, etc...

You think Nigeria will be able to manufacturer a computer chip, or a camera, or a phone anytime soon? nah fam.. we are 100 years behind at least..

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by mex22: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
Useless govt.Trying to muscle everyone as if even the blind man on the street doesn't know it's the worst performing in the history of nigeria's existence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Buckeyemedia1: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

Do I need one?

I have one here but do not need it. I do not spend dollars in Nigeria. I have an account in the USA for my business there.
Bruv I get BOA account, doesn’t stop the need of operating a domiciliary account in Nigeria, when you need to withdraw & convert dollars to Naira when in Nigeria how do you do it?
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by 2fast4u: 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

Do I need one?

I have one here but do not need it. I do not spend dollars in Nigeria. I have an account in the USA for my business there.

You're earning dollars in USA and paying people via same.. You don't count amigo..

Now imagine your real estate company is in Nigeria, and people paid you NAIRA, but you had to settle suppliers in USA WITH USD.. This is the problem facing 99% of Nigerian companies and importers

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by hosemujica: 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2021
CooKeed:

With due respect, you're beginning to embarrass yourself. I don't think you know enough about this topic. Please.
Stop talking to this guy , he will make you look ignorant like him.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by quadraheem(m): 6:50pm On Sep 16, 2021
Local manufacturing and production should be enhanced for great exportation across Africa and the world. This is what will strengthen our Naira.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Solatium(m): 6:50pm On Sep 16, 2021
CooKeed:

Good evening.

I do not have anything to add to what jjman2322 and philip0906 have said so far. But I'll summarise:

When businesses approach Nigerian banks for dollars to import stuff (via letters of credit etc), the transactions still need to be settled in dollars i.e Nigerian banks will have to remit dollars to the correspondent banks, who will then remit to the suppliers abroad.

We earn dollars from exports. When we buy imported goods we pay in dollars (or some other prominent foreign currency).

The dollars we earn is far below what we need to import stuff, because we don't export a lot of stuff. So, Emzor,for instance , would need lots of dollars to buy raw materials, but sells their products locally in Naira.

Our major source of dollars is crude but
unfortunately crude prices have gone down. Secondly, we still spend a lot of the dollars buying back refined petroleum since we dont have functioning refineries. Which is why everyone has been waiting for Dangote to finish his refinery (but that is a story for another day)

So we dont have enough dollars. Therefore CBN rations what we have. If you walk into a bank and request for dollars to import stuff, the bank will 'bid' on your behalf. You may not get your full required amount in 6 months. So many businesses take the little that cbn gives them and source for the rest in the black market. Demand and supply. Demand goes up while supply remains unchanged. Therefore price goes up.

I have full understanding of everything you stated even before you itemized them.
i was only looking for something that i don't know unfortunately you did not state anything new sir,i am not being arrogant here.
but let me make few corrections to some of the things you said.

Oil prices is not falling, it's actually going up,it was around $75 PB about 24hrs ago.

2... i agree we don't earn enough to balance our trading sheet and we can never earn enough,do you know why?
Remittance from abroad are routed through black market because you get a higher exchange figure when you do sell to them,that singular act alone has wiped off about 40% of your forex from the system,the remaining ones have to come from what is declared legally and whatever most people get from the legal means are divided into 2 and a part sold for profit at the black market while the rest is used for intending purpose,what do you think will happen when we do such? where will the replacement comes from if we all go to the black market to sell? of course you will go to the same black market to buy at any rate when you need them. we are all involved in these .

3.... You can not even have enough dollar in circulation even if our legal tender is American Dollar,it's simple economic term,the more currency you have in circulation the higher your inflammation,we do not even have enough naira to spend at every giving time.
Your o level economic subject an answer that when you flip to that page that talks about how you control excess liquidity which part of (a) OMO open market operations (b) Stock trading (c) withdrawal of cash from circulation and what have you.

I can tell you for free that their is no way your forex needs will keep jumping exponentially every week when the population remain almost the same within the same period.

Speculators which Black market and Abokifx belongs to that category are the major problem
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 16, 2021
2fast4u:

You're earning dollars in USA and paying people via same.. You don't count amigo..

Now imagine your real estate company is in Nigeria, and people paid you NAIRA, but you had to settle suppliers in USA WITH USD.. This is the problem facing 99% of Nigerian companies and importers

I supposed they are caught up in a level of ignorance that allowed them operate locally even though they think I am the ignorant one. My business in the USA was bought by the Nigeria business, and I also have an EXIM company here that handles all corporate communications with suppliers but the bills are paid by the US company on behalf of its Nigeria subsidiary.

So the complexities associated with the Nigeria fx system is strange to me.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

I keep saying it that Godwin Emefiele is the worst CBN governor in Nigeria's history.

All his policies and actions have not helped the country in any way. Imagine a very useful platform like Abokifx getting shut down just because he doesn't want people to be aware of the steady, constant fall of the Naira under his administration...

Na wa! sad

Completely clueless as Buhari.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by CooKeed(m): 6:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
Solatium:

I have full understanding of everything you stated even before you itemized them.
i was only looking for something that i don't know unfortunately you did not state anything new sir,i am not being arrogant here.
but let me make few corrections to some of the things you said.

Oil prices is not falling, it's actually going up,it was around $75 PB about 24hrs ago.

2... i agree we don't earn enough to balance our trading sheet and we can never earn enough,do you know why?
Remittance from abroad are routed through black market because you get a higher exchange figure when you do sell to them,that singular act alone has wiped off about 40% of your forex from the system,the remaining ones have to come from what is declared legally and whatever most people get from the legal means are divided into 2 and a part sold for profit at the black market while the rest is used for intending purpose,what do you think will happen when we do such? where will the replacement comes from if we all go to the black market to sell? of course you will go to the same black market to buy at any rate when you need them. we are all involved in these .

3.... You can not even have enough dollar in circulation even if our legal tender is American Dollar,it's simple economic term,the more currency you have in circulation the higher your inflammation,we do not even have enough naira to spend at every giving time.
Your o level economic subject an answer that when you flip to that page that talks about how you control excess liquidity which part of (a) OMO open market operations (b) Stock trading (c) withdrawal of cash from circulation and what have you.

I can tell you for free that their is no way your forex needs will keep jumping exponentially every week when the population remain almost the same within the same period.

Speculators which Black market and Abokifx belongs to that category are the major problem

It is OK if you don't learn anything new from my post. Hopefully, a few others will.

Your 3 'corrections' are incorrect. And I hope you're arguing in good faith, not just for argument's sake. I will address them:

1. Please plot a chart of crude prices over the last 2 years (pre-covid to date) when the Naira was trading at 360 to the dollar and let's see. You cannot claim higher prices based on little fluctuations that happened in 24 hrs or a week.

2. The only question you need to ask yourself is this: what makes the black market to attractive? Why do people prefer to sell their remittances at the black market? Why is there a demand for dollars in the black market? You may please refer to my previous post for the answer.

3. This is simply not true. What do you mean by 'you cannot have enough dollars in circulation'? Both the Pound and Euro are worth more than the dollar. Surely, this means the UK and EU have more than enough dollars (relative to their respective currencies).

Finally, your fx needs can jump exponentially. It is not about population. It is about demand and supply. It happened in Zimbabwe. It happened in Venezuela. It happens in all countries where imports continue to outstrip exports while government depletes foreign reserves.

Are we saying that we don't have speculators? Of course we do. But they are not THE major problem. In fact, I'd say they are merely a symptom of the problem. If we had enough dollars, speculators would be out of jobs.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by benjijosh(m): 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

You do not need bdc to import anything. You do not nerd dorm account to import anything. As a matter of fact I am sending a memo to CBN today to consider converting all dorm reserves to naira at CBN rate and closure of all bdc.

You do not need to source for usd to import, it is only in Nigeria you get all these parallel fx system. Simply pay your naira and get the dollars from bank at CBN rate to be paid out.

Having bdc and dorm accts destroyed Nigeria fx sector and must be stopped.

Now everyone is just scamming their way to glory under the pretext of affiliate marketing and importation and manufacturing. I am manufacture 3 products and I have businesses offshore too.

I am not a novice

And CBN is printing dollars that everytime you go to them, they will give you just enough right?

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Bruv I get BOA account, doesn’t stop the need of operating a domiciliary account in Nigeria, when you need to withdraw & convert dollars to Naira when in Nigeria how do you do it?

You did not read me well, I said I do not need one but I have one. The reason I have one is because the banks made it easier to receive funds directly here in USD.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 16, 2021
benjijosh:

And CBN is printing dollars that everytime you go to them, they will give you just enough right?

What do you need dollars for?
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by stedmark(m): 7:03pm On Sep 16, 2021
They prefer our tailor police officer
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Arda1000(m): 7:07pm On Sep 16, 2021
lwisee:

Ni baba e
grin
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by chloride6: 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2021
henryobinna:
do you guys even know the root cause of Naira having low value? You think converting all domiciliary account to naira would solve your problems? People are chasing shadows while ignoring the real problem.

Once again, nobody buys the naira. Nigeria doesn't export products to foreign countries that would require them to exchange their currencies to naira to buy. Nobody buys the naira oga.

Doing what you suggested would only create serious tension than the CBN can handle. E be like you and the CBN guy dey smoke same weed

This isn't true..
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by chloride6: 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2021
henryobinna:
as a publisher that receives payment from foreign companines in dollars I deserve to know what it's traded at so as to not be swindled by folks like you

Na you dey reply na

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by RodgersAkpafu: 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2021
2fast4u:

Easy to say, impossible to implement.. Nigeria is so far behind that we need 100's of years to be like India or China.

Manufacturing takes billions of dollars in Research and development, stable electricity, Good universities, etc...

You think Nigeria will be able to manufacturer a computer chip, or a camera, or a phone anytime soon? nah fam.. we are 100 years behind at least..

Sad truth
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by justmondris: 7:23pm On Sep 16, 2021
And what will stop them from relocating to Ghana and making the website still available to Nigerians?
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by alizma: 7:24pm On Sep 16, 2021
Newboss:

Actually, BDC was not stopped. CBN only stopped selling currencies to BDC.

If BDC source for their own dollars, then they decide how much they sell and buy the dollars based on demand and supply.

CBN has greatly limited the amount of dollars that banks should sell, hence BDC are the ones offering unlimited and unconditional supply of dollars. Hence, BDC solves a problem CBN created. Hence, BDC controls the market.

You want to buy dollars from banks? Good luck getting the dollars!
Actually I personally kicked against the total suspension of sale of dollars to the BDC, the CBN should have suspended that partially while allowing banks to run the sale activities along side the BDCs, the will enable the CBN to properly assess the situation before taking final decision. From the look of things, it is obvious we are heading for a crash without sales of dollars to the BDCs
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by 989900: 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2021
I'm trying to reason why . . . can't come up with anything.

What fxckery!
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by 989900: 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
Emefiele is half part clueless, half part a thief.

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by CooKeed(m): 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Sad truth

We don't even need to make all these fancy things for a start. No country makes everything. Make the one you can make. But make a lot of it and export it.

Just make something. Produce stuff. Two years ago we were celebrating the opening of our first pencil factory. As sad as that sounds, I was able to stomach that.

But I was shocked to learn earlier this year that Nigeria imports maize. Lots of maize. As in, we don't have enough maize to meet the demand of our livestock farmers. Maize that our ancestors have been cultivating for how long?!!! Maize!!! Ah!

5 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by RodgersAkpafu: 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

To solve Nigeria's problem you must shut down bdc and convert all fx to local currency. Full stop.

Your fx need is not a cash call, it is handled by correspondence banks in the countries you are importing from.
This does not correlate with reality
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Bobxin: 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2021
DuduParaPara:
E don set.

But will this stop the free fall of the naira?

So how then do we know the price to negotiate with aboki on the street?

Since CBN has decided to be unfortunate by refusing to be transparent?

Site is still functioning, doesn't change anything
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Abiodunstephen(m): 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
Go and shut it now, rubbish.
lwisee:
Good move, most people sit behind their laptops, check the exchange rate on abokifx before giving you quotations.
The next thing you hear is 'Oga everything is expensive now ooo
Even 1 dollar is now N560 I swear, you can check abokifx'

Government need to shutdown the website as well.
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by ken6488(m): 7:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

To solve Nigeria's problem you must shut down bdc and convert all fx to local currency. Full stop.

Your fx need is not a cash call, it is handled by correspondence banks in the countries you are importing from.
It will not change anything

That's the problem instead of fighting the problem, CBN is fighting the shadow

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by RodgersAkpafu: 7:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
CooKeed:

We don't even need to make all these fancy things for a start. No country makes everything. Make the one you can make. But make a lot of it and export it.

Just make something. Produce stuff. Two years ago we were celebrating the opening of our first pencil factory. As sad as that sounds, I was able to stomach that.

But I was shocked to learn earlier this year that Nigeria imports maize. Lots of maize. As in, we don't have enough maize to meet the demand of our livestock farmers. Maize that our ancestors have been cultivating for how long?!!! Maize!!! Ah!
Mental laziness is the bane of black people
That has always been the problem with us
He only want to enjoy himself
Carry women
No thinking for the future or value creation

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by Solatium(m): 7:52pm On Sep 16, 2021
CooKeed:

It is OK if you don't learn anything new from my post. Hopefully, a few others will.

Your 3 'corrections' are incorrect. And I hope you're arguing in good faith, not just for argument's sake. I will address them:

1. Please plot a chart of crude prices over the last 2 years (pre-covid to date) when the Naira was trading at 360 to the dollar and let's see. You cannot claim higher prices based on little fluctuations that happened in 24 hrs or a week.

2. The only question you need to ask yourself is this: what makes the black market to attractive? Why do people prefer to sell their remittances at the black market? Why is there a demand for dollars in the black market? You may please refer to my previous post for the answer.

3. This is simply not true. What do you mean by 'you cannot have enough dollars in circulation'? Both the Pound and Euro are worth more than the dollar. Surely, this means the UK and EU have more than enough dollars (relative to their respective currencies).

Finally, your fx needs can jump exponentially. It is not about population. It is about demand and supply. It happened in Zimbabwe. It happened in Venezuela. It happens in all countries where imports continue to outstrip exports while government depletes foreign reserves.

Are we saying that we don't have speculators? Of course we do. But they are not THE major problem. In fact, I'd say they are merely a symptom of the problem. If we had enough dollars, speculators would be out of job.

1... oil prices never stay static from time immemorial,it always fluctuate,even when it was been sold at $30pb the Naira was relatively stable,do you know why? the bad guy's were kept off.

2..The black market will continue to attract more patronage for as long as there humongous profit to make for both buyers and sellers,the black market don't make dollar's,they don't even sell anything seaside from forex and they sell whatever you brought to them,i just explained why it's so.
Dirty deals,money laundering and greed is what fuels the BDC.

3..Go back to your basic economy,all over the world you can never get enough currency to go round,
Europe and UK you cited as examples don't have that kind of arrangement,you only get forex from POST OFFICE in UK and some High street BDC who usually deals with remittance companies.
An average European do not even want currency of other nations not to talk of holding them,go to South Africa,they are cool with their local currency ditto Morocco,the local Arabs don't hold dollar's in UAE or Qatar at least these are the places i have visited or transited
Re: CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts by pfadom: 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
Brainless and the worst CBN chief in the history of Nigeria. I can only blame Buhari for retaining a man who has not evidence of performance since assuming office as Governor.

Shutting down accounts means nothing. All he needs to do is to work on the monetary economy.

That's the issue with appointing bankers as CBN governor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Pics Of Crying Emeka Offor Being Consoled By Dignitaries At His Father's Burial / Photos From Aliko Dangote's 60th Birthday Celebration / Implications Of Not Meeting The Deadline For Bvn Registration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.