Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? (34691 Views)

What's The Best Bank For Opening A Domiciliary Account? / Can I Open A Bank Account With An Expired International Passport? / Domiciliary Account Opening: Which Bank Has Best To Offer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by armadeo(m): 8:26am On Sep 17, 2021
BadNews:

GTBANK IS THE BEST FOR DOLLAR ACCOUNT

This dom.account sem dey pay interest sef?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by iykepromotions: 8:37am On Sep 17, 2021
FabulousAutos:

I tried opening dorm account with GTB but they asked for two guarantors who has current account despite the fact that I already have salary account (savings) with them. Is there any bank that where I can open domiciliary account without going to search/beg for such current account holders to be my guarantors?
I don't think so. The two referees are compulsory. And they must be current or domiciliary account holders.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by pocohantas(f): 8:54am On Sep 17, 2021
folake4u:

Please can you expatiate more on the GTbank Dom account? Thank you.

Expatiate what? Lol

Dom acct is akin to a current account. Only difference is that its transactions are in foreign currencies. If you have a current acct already, they can just use it to open a Dom acct in minutes. If you don’t, then you have to get 2 referees (current acct holders in same bank or other banks) in addition to your acct opening requirements. You would also need $100 as what do they call it again? Anyway, the account would definitely be opened first.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by folake4u(f): 9:34am On Sep 17, 2021
pocohantas:

Expatiate what? Lol

Dom acct is akin to a current account. Only difference is that its transactions are in foreign currencies. If you have a current acct already, they can just use it to open a Dom acct in minutes. If you don’t, then you have to get 2 referees (current acct holders in same bank or other banks) in addition to your acct opening requirements. You would also need $100 as what do they call it again? Anyway, the account would definitely be opened first.

Thank youuuuuuuuuu.
But if someone wants to open the Dom account, the two referees must also have a Dom account also?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by olyrayy(m): 9:38am On Sep 17, 2021
GreaterFuture:

Can't I just buy dollars Cash and keep at home
I know it's against the law (technically),but to avoid the long story or Stress of Opening Dorm account, I can buy a few hundreds, keep and sell when dollars is high, Abi?

Is it against the law to hold dollars in cash? Didn't know about that. You could do as you stated sha.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by pocohantas(f): 9:40am On Sep 17, 2021
folake4u:

Thank youuuuuuuuuu.
But if someone wants to open the Dom account, the two referees must also have a Dom account also?

No, but they must have a normal current account. A Dom account is a current account that runs in foreign currency. It is just nomenclature.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by folake4u(f): 10:06am On Sep 17, 2021
pocohantas:

No, but they must have a normal current account. A Dom account is a current account that runs in foreign currency. It is just nomenclature.

Thank you very much, Poco.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by noruwasman(m): 11:10am On Sep 17, 2021
pocohantas:

Expatiate what? Lol

How about First bank?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by cutieme(m): 11:26am On Sep 17, 2021
BadNews:

GTBANK IS THE BEST FOR DOLLAR ACCOUNT
Really,tell me more please
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by LisaAnneMia: 12:23pm On Sep 17, 2021
Truth234:
First, given the Nigeria's unstable economic situation and policymakers' fire brigade approach to foreign exchange and other economic matters. It is important to have a more stable savings account that can help curtail, manage and even profit from their recklessness or cluelessness.

Nigeria is a petrol-dollar economy. This simply means that Nigeria, Africa's largest economy with population of 200 million, have to sell crude oil to generate the US dollar needed to service her economy. Suggesting that any time OPEC or OPEC+ capped Nigeria's production or Millitants strike, the economy will suffer as the healthiness of the economy is directly tied to her foreign reserves (an account where all foreign revenues are kept for use).

However, the reason we suffer so much or why we have high forex volatility is because Nigeria is an import dependent economy. We import over 90 percent of what we consume due to our weak manufacturing sector. This, also explains the high unemployment rate of 33.33 percent since we export all of our jobs.

Now, here is how to mitigate the risk associated with this unpredictable nature of the Nigerian economy. Read one of my articles titled How to Save, Invest and Earn in US Dollar in Nigeria https://investorsking.com/2021/06/28/how-to-save-invest-and-earn-in-us-dollar-in-nigeria/

OPEN a Domiciliary Account

Recently, I discovered a better and economically viable Domicilary Savings Account (FCMB, pls note this is purely for information purposes and not paid ads).

This account can be opened with just $10, Euro or Pound depending on your type of account.

Here is why I think this is better for people looking to start saving in USD, especially the youth.

Interest bearing account but forfeited once there are more than 3 withdrawals in a month.
A serialized non-clearing cheque-type withdrawal booklet used for withdrawal by account holder only.
Allows for Foreign Currency Salary payments and cash lodgement.
Account can be operated either as an individual or a joint account
NO charge on cash withdrawal.
Offers Issuance of foreign currency denominated drafts
Free E-mail transaction notifications
Free monthly electronic statements

Requirements for Opening FCMB Domiciliary Savings Account - the most straightforward I have seen

Completed account opening form
1 passport photograph
Minimum of 18 years-old and provide the following:
International passport or Driver’s License or National ID card or Voters Card or Resident Permit (for immigrants)
Address verification e.g. Utility bill, recent bank statement or local authority tax bill etc.

To read more on FCMB Domiciliary Savings Account click https://www.fcmb.com/domiciliary-savings-account

Any more question? Ask me.

Hello, thanks for this info but I have 2 questions:
1. The 3-time withdrawals you mentioned, are they personal withdrawals or withdrawals that were made through online transactions? If the withdrawals are from online transactions, it means I can only buy things 3 times online per month?
2. And for the recent bank statement, I currently do not have an account with FCMB. Can the bank statement be from another bank?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by Truth234(m): 12:30pm On Sep 17, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
Hello, thanks for this info but I have 2 questions:
1. The 3-time withdrawals you mentioned, are they personal withdrawals or withdrawals that were made through online transactions? If the withdrawals are from online transactions, it means I can only buy things 3 times online per month?
2. And for the recent bank statement, I currently do not have an account with FCMB. Can the bank statement be from another bank?

This is a Domiciliary Savings Account, note the savings. So withdrawing will limit some benefits. However, they have the regular domiciliary account, contact the bank for more details. No need for bank statement and note that you can withdraw as much as your want, just that you will lose your ability to earn interest on your dollar savings for that month if withdrawa is more than three times.

You can look into Zenith Bank, I heard (from Nairaland, therefore, not verified) its free to open Domiciliary.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by LisaAnneMia: 12:41pm On Sep 17, 2021
Truth234:

This is a Domiciliary Savings Account, note the savings. So withdrawing will limit some benefits. However, they have the regular domiciliary account, contact the bank for more details. No need for bank statement and note that you can withdraw as much as your want, just that you will lose your ability to earn interest on your dollar savings for that month if withdrawa is more than three times.

You can look into Zenith Bank, I heard (from Nairaland, therefore, not verified) its free to open Domiciliary.
Okay thank you!
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by Yaks02(m): 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2021
Truth234:
First, given the Nigeria's unstable economic situation and policymakers' fire brigade approach to foreign exchange and other economic matters. It is important to have a more stable savings account that can help curtail, manage and even profit from their recklessness or cluelessness.

Nigeria is a petrol-dollar economy. This simply means that Nigeria, Africa's largest economy with population of 200 million, have to sell crude oil to generate the US dollar needed to service her economy. Suggesting that any time OPEC or OPEC+ capped Nigeria's production or Millitants strike, the economy will suffer as the healthiness of the economy is directly tied to her foreign reserves (an account where all foreign revenues are kept for use).

However, the reason we suffer so much or why we have high forex volatility is because Nigeria is an import dependent economy. We import over 90 percent of what we consume due to our weak manufacturing sector. This, also explains the high unemployment rate of 33.33 percent since we export all of our jobs.

Now, here is how to mitigate the risk associated with this unpredictable nature of the Nigerian economy. Read one of my articles titled How to Save, Invest and Earn in US Dollar in Nigeria https://investorsking.com/2021/06/28/how-to-save-invest-and-earn-in-us-dollar-in-nigeria/

OPEN a Domiciliary Account

Recently, I discovered a better and economically viable Domicilary Savings Account (FCMB, pls note this is purely for information purposes and not paid ads).

This account can be opened with just $10, Euro or Pound depending on your type of account.

Here is why I think this is better for people looking to start saving in USD, especially the youth.

Interest bearing account but forfeited once there are more than 3 withdrawals in a month.
A serialized non-clearing cheque-type withdrawal booklet used for withdrawal by account holder only.
Allows for Foreign Currency Salary payments and cash lodgement.
Account can be operated either as an individual or a joint account
NO charge on cash withdrawal.
Offers Issuance of foreign currency denominated drafts
Free E-mail transaction notifications
Free monthly electronic statements

Requirements for Opening FCMB Domiciliary Savings Account - the most straightforward I have seen

Completed account opening form
1 passport photograph
Minimum of 18 years-old and provide the following:
International passport or Driver’s License or National ID card or Voters Card or Resident Permit (for immigrants)
Address verification e.g. Utility bill, recent bank statement or local authority tax bill etc.

To read more on FCMB Domiciliary Savings Account click https://www.fcmb.com/domiciliary-savings-account

How do I qualify to get a loan?

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by Johnnonye(m): 3:51pm On Sep 17, 2021
inoki247:
open it and start saving in foreign currency cause saving in Naira is so useless...
Getting Dollar is difficult in Nigeria talk more of saving it. Except you have siblings that are over sea that will send it to you and buying crypto with naira is like buying dollar in black market

if you keep 100k in Naira in your account for just 30days if u take it to market to buy the same thing u priced the day u save the money u will discover say he don add extra 10k I don't know if Nigeria inflation na per seconds...

At least if you can't take any Cryptoo Risk I believe putting ur savings in Dorm account is ok cause iz risk free...
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by inoki247: 4:01pm On Sep 17, 2021
[quote author=Johnnonye post=105910074][/quote]

Lol Dollars is so difficult to people wey b novice last 3 month or so I remember I still bought some dollar from doz aboki den for 500 wen I gt a trip wey I wan go wey i no lata go i had to go keep all d funds den so if I decide to goan sell dem all now I know aw much intrest wey don dey untop.

So getting Dollar from abokki no hard if u can pay dere rate if u need 100k Usd dem go find am come out for u if u can afford dere rate...
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by FENZYCOUTURE2(f): 5:04pm On Sep 17, 2021
prezee1:
All is well
nn
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by zizzley(m): 6:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
PerfectlyPerfect:

It'll be more beneficial to you to open a binance account and save your funds in USDT than putting it into any Nigerian bank
Mind If I ask, How'd I liquidate funds in crypto quick?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by donsheva: 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
UBA has a savings domicillary account that you can open without referees,
FabulousAutos:

I tried opening dorm account with GTB but they asked for two guarantors who has current account despite the fact that I already have salary account (savings) with them. Is there any bank that where I can open domiciliary account without going to search/beg for such current account holders to be my guarantors?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by GreaterFuture(m): 7:50pm On Sep 17, 2021
kelvinovie25:
Waste of time, get binance buy your usdt/busd or any currency you which send to your private wallet and watch wailers wail
Recent research is showing that this is ain't safe either
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by GreaterFuture(m): 7:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
olyrayy:

Is it against the law to hold dollars in cash? Didn't know about that. You could do as you stated sha.
Yes it is. It is illegal to keep dollars in Cash Privately, except you have a BDC licence

1 Like

Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:41pm On Sep 17, 2021
zizzley:

Mind If I ask, How'd I liquidate funds in crypto quick?
Simply use P2P. You'll send the crypto to them and they'll send you the naira equivalent to your bank account.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by zizzley(m): 8:44pm On Sep 17, 2021
PerfectlyPerfect:

Simply use P2P. You'll send the crypto to them and they'll send you the naira equivalent to your bank account.
Can you do p2p with level 1 verification? Had issues with intermediary. And what's the rate?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2021
zizzley:

Can you do p2p with level 1 verification? Had issues with intermediary. And what's the rate?
Yes you can. The rate depends on the forex rate at that time. I would advise you convert your assets to USDT so you'll know the exact amout to expect. The rate depends on the rate set by the seller. You can select a seller with lower rates
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by UncleSnr(m): 11:30pm On Sep 17, 2021
parkervero:

How do you even deposit naira on binance since CBN has restricted banks on crypto ?
P2P, they match you with someone willing to sell at the moment, you approve/release funds when you confirm funds in your account, vice versa.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by charlsecy(m): 8:58am On Sep 18, 2021
Xeedorf:
20,000*496=11,400,000
20,000*570= 9,920,000
Different=1,480,000 within 2month
Check your calculations.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by charlsecy(m): 9:02am On Sep 18, 2021
tunde4top:
The same government through their banks will still determine the conversion rate of the saved dollar back to Naira which definitely will be lesser than the black market price.
Even if you withdraw and sell at the black market?
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by zizzley(m): 10:19am On Sep 18, 2021
PerfectlyPerfect:

Yes you can. The rate depends on the forex rate at that time. I would advise you convert your assets to USDT so you'll know the exact amout to expect. The rate depends on the rate set by the seller. You can select a seller with lower rates
Okay thanks very much
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:53am On Sep 18, 2021
zizzley:

Okay thanks very much
You're welcome.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by martiscore: 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2021
I'm the kind who doesn't always pay for the cheapest. Yes, it seems reasonable and expensive. I better put more money on something more quality and know that I will trust what I give that money. A friend suggested I take cheap VPS hosting, and I don't charge much, especially when it comes to internet security and my bank accounts and all that is personal better. I give the money on a more expensive VPS, but I know that I will be well-secured and that no one will be able to break my account so quickly.
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by crazyABO(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2021
Truth234:

Yes, try FCMB, Zenith, Fidelity etc
do you have like a link or web
Re: Should I Open A Domiciliary Account? Why? by gremp(m): 10:20am On Sep 21, 2021
Truth234:

Does FCMB require referrals like other banks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? / MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking / Top Ten Foolish Ways Nigerians Loose Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.