Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

My Name Is Almajiri: A Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Name Is Almajiri: A Story (7273 Views)

Pictures : See What They Teach In President Jonathan Almajiri Schools / No Gains For Almajiri Schools’ Graduates – Fashola / Jonathan- I Built 9 Universities, 50 Almajiri Schools In 20 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by silami(m): 10:44pm On May 25, 2011
from The Truth Hurts! by Abdulmumini Abdullahi

My name is Almajiri, I was born in one village far northern Nigeria. I am 15 years old now. I was brought to this city when I was just 7 years old by my father to learn and memorize the holy Qur'an. Since when I was brought here my father only came to visit me three times. And I have never seen my mother since when I left home. The last time my father came visit two years back, I told him I wanted to go back home to see my mother, but he said I could not do that until I memorize the whole Qur'an. I remember when we were leaving my village to come to this city, my father only told me that I was going to the town to stay with his uncle for a while. When my father was going back to the village he gave me some money to be spending and I cried like I was going to die when finally he was to leave. Immediately my teacher came back from seeing my father off, he asked me to bring that money my father gave to me. I have never seen kobo from that money again.

When it was time for dinner that day, my teacher gave me a small bowl and asked me to join a small army of other students in the school to go beg for food that we were to eat as dinner that night. We roamed the streets entering  one house after another begging for food, and when I finally found something, some of the students we were together, who were a little older than I was and who were not entering houses to beg as we were doing, confiscated my food and ate it and threw the bowl at me and asked me to go get the one I would eat again. When we finally came back and after the evening class, when it was time to sleep, that is when I realized there was in fact no where for me to sleep. We are close to hundred in the school and everybody just scattered in search of a place to sleep, I managed to get a little place beside one gutter by our teacher's house and slept there, that has become my sleeping place ever since. And it does not matter if it is raining or its during harmattan period as there is no where to go and sleep apart from there.

That was the routine everyday, until finally I was able to get one house where I begged the house wife to be coming and be helping her with the day to day chores and in turn she would be giving me food so that I wouldn't have to be begging for food everyday. This was far better for me than having had to go scavenging for food three times every single day. Lest I forget, perhaps I should tell you that it took me four good years to finally get new clothing! Yeah shocking, right? My few cloths that I was brought here with had become dirty and tattered. It was this hajiya that finally noticed the situation of my cloths, and how it took her that long, I don't know, and gave me some few sets used by one of her children to be wearing. You can imagine how happy I was I got "new" cloths finally. Unfortunately, they never lasted, partly because I could go the whole month without taking a bath or washing my cloths and partly as there were not much to be rotating. It is hajiya when she noticed this sometimes that would give me some soap and detergent to bath and wash my torn cloths.

When I started growing up I realized my fellow almajiris used to have money on them for which they buy some things they like or need. I asked one of them where they were getting the money and he told me at the roads junctions. That was how I left hajiya's house and started going to junctions and roundabouts begging for money from the motorists. Some will give us, some will refuse, some will even harass us for touching their cars or leaning on them. I stopped going to school completely, I only go back to school when it was time for me to sleep and immediately it is morning, I will carry my bowl and head to a junction and I will be there till evening. Did I hear you say: 'what about prayers?' No, who has time to pray? If you go for prayer, you don't know what you will be missing for that time you go to pray. I pray all the prayers I missed in a day when I came back from the junction and if I am tired on that day, then I just ignore them. As for what I was brought here to do, that is to memorize the holy Qur'an, as I said earlier on, I already stopped going to school since when I started coming to junctions, and the little I memorized has already vanished as I don't quite read it.

As for my future, I really don't know about that, not that I care anyway. I heard that they said there are more than 9 millions of us roaming the streets in this country. I believe there is no future for us in this country where they say there are equally over 12 million youth who had gone to school and graduated but can not get job to do. What more of an almajiri? Begging is what I know for now and it is my future as I don't know what else I should do. perhaps when I grow a little bit I will think of becoming a water vendor or become okada rider or better again, start selling fuel by the road side. As you can see plenty of options for me there. It seems like I have a future after all!

Government? Well, I just hope its not me you are asking that question, as I don't know if we ever have government in this country. I heard its election time, so may be they are trying to get re-elected so that they continue steeling our country money, and for us - almajiri family - we will continue been pauperized, ragged, torn and hopeless!

This is my story, thank you for your time and God bless you.

Long live my country Nigeria.

Yours faithfully,

http://abdulmuminiabdullahi..com/2011/04/my-story.html
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by aloyemeka1: 10:58pm On May 25, 2011
Only if an amajiri can read and write.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Mynd44: 12:23am On May 26, 2011
Very nice piece there so i take it that it was translated right? So this means that this guys are jobless and would do anything for a couple of naira notes i am more intrested in hearing about his father being tried or jailed
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by silami(m): 11:04pm On May 26, 2011
^^^^ Yea this typically what almajiris go through in the North! No food, no shelter no clothes couple with illiteracy. They can easily be bought to cause havocs.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nobody: 12:27am On May 27, 2011
Honestly, I sympathize with these young dudes whose been unfortunate to be descendants of a very lazy, disgustingly fraudulent and morally bankrupt generation.

Surprisingly. . . or not, thats where my sympathy stops. Cos its so hard to believe that a 15 years old kid will derive so much joy in slitting a harmless neighbor's throat simply because we thought he didnt have the opportunity to get proper education, abandoned by his parents or was hungry.

Long story short, one or two of these three factors are the reasons for the massive mess:

1. The interpretation of what they are being taught in their early school.
2. What they are being taught in school.
3. Race.

At what age does an uneducated and hungry human being begin to understand that hacking a harmless mother and her 6 months old baby to death with a sickle doesn't add up?
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nattlil(m): 1:11am On May 27, 2011
@poster capital RUBBISH if u know what i passed through just to get secondary school education? U will stop giving sily excusses for diz wicked souls that kills innocent people @will. The country is hard YES but that is no reason to kill and destroy peoples property how can dey understand diz when they fight "western education" itself? Am in kaduna i know what am talking about. Diz una people lazy die and am sure even quraan support laziness. One nigeria
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nobody: 2:16am On May 27, 2011
damn
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by pleep(m): 2:37am On May 27, 2011
I think these people would make excellent unskilled workers if they were given job opportunities.  Something like making shoes, assembling cell phones, or making clothing. They problem is lack of jobs, and the solution to that is simple. 

All this stuff we import from china, could easily be made locally.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by jmaine: 3:10am On May 27, 2011
SAD cry cry cry
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by aletheia(m): 3:21am On May 27, 2011
^The poster has aptly captured the predicament of the Almajiri. I used to interact with one of them while he was growing up. The last time I saw him, he was a rather unkempt teenager who was hanging around motor parks.
Their leaders lie to them and use them and teach them to hate other Nigerians. . .meanwhile they carry looted funds to London to shop to the extent that a shop in London will introduce Hausa as a language of communication!
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Blueray: 3:54am On May 27, 2011
This is a very seriuos national issue presented here as a story.  I have always see the almajiri issue as the criminal negligence of the Northern elite.  And as in all criminal intents, the personal benefit of the criminal(s) is the motivating factor.  In thier selfisness they have painted the Holy Quaran in very bad light.  Yes, the Holy Quaran commanded humanity to seek knowledge.  It never in any iota ask parents to abdicate thier parental responsibilities by hiding under the guise of fulfilling Holy injuctions.   What in the word will make a responsible and God fearing father take his son from Sokoto to Kaduna to a Mallam for Quaranic education without provision for feeding, lodging and clothing?  Lets not even talk of the age of the child-some as infantile as 5 years old.  No school fees and no obligation to the Mallam in any form.  The Arewa People's Forum have till this moment not find it expedient to address this urgly issue staring focusly at the souls of men and yet they could face God 5 times daily?  It is either they don't really beleive they approach God in those encounters or they are worst than the infidels.  Let the children study the Quaran from thier fathers houses-it is thier right for crying out loud.  Everywhere you look these charlatans are desecrating the the Holy Quaran.  They make the distant observer to believe the Holy book encourages divource.  Women are divorced at the slitest provocation on the mere pronouncement of "I divoiced you" 3 times and are send packing with immediate effect.  And what happen to the children?  Send them to some distant madrasa.  May the Lord have mercy on us.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by hunter121: 3:55am On May 27, 2011
They can easily be bought to cause havocs.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/buddyicons/62288409@N00.jpg[/img]
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nobody: 3:57am On May 27, 2011
this story didnt move an inch in my body talk more of soul.now he doesnt have a future nor even a hope for a future! why dnt he commit sucide than dirting the city,stealing(if he got the opportunity) and tout!!!! he is of no use to the society and himself!
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nobody: 3:58am On May 27, 2011
Any religion or lifestyle that does not please you, but makes life difficult/miserable for you instead, is not for you and you should change it if you truly are not comfortable with it -it's a fundamental right! If you're not convinced it's good for you or for anyone, and yet you continue with it regardless, you're by yourself an accomplice to evil and you should seek deliverance. You only have one life (that is known) and you should make it fulfilling, not waste it.

I care.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:12am On May 27, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
@post
sorry for that, thank God u realize that Majority of Northerner are not only beggars but butches of Killing Machine
let me ask you one question,
do u think that is only in your region is where they have poor people?
poverty is like a cloth that almost! all Nigeria, i mean all Nigeria are putting on everyday,yet they control their anger in terms of crisis. the problem you almajiri people are having is not poor,rather been allow yourself to be used by those politicians who doesn't know the different between the living and the death. IN SE/SS/SW, they still have poor people there,STOP deceiving us with this INFERIOR, RUBBISH and STUPID EXCUSES of yours for killing INNOCENT CORPERS and CHRISTIANS in the north
i manage to start something for myself when i don't have money to pay for my waec which i made alot of money from there,paid for my waec,jamb and entered university,in my second year in university, i lost my father. i faced a lot of challenges,but i got to put myself on the track by helping people to do some computer ,in which i manage till i graduate,
now l'm currently doing my NYSC (thank God i was killed)
you people should not blaming Government for your wicked killing,i believe there is better opportunity than begging and been used by those blood sucking vampires.
About your Father, well, is a normal thing,perhaps he wants to marry another wife and give birth to as many as possible ,so that there will be increase in number of BOKO HARAM
PATHETIC
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by aljharem3: 5:25am On May 27, 2011
IBB, CIROMA , EMIR, SULTAN, SHEHU etc shame on u all

see how a typical northern almajiri is suffering and yet this people have done nor said anything about it
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by ektbear: 5:28am On May 27, 2011
Nice post.

I don't see the value in these almajiri schools, if all they teach you is memorizing the Koran. That isn't a very useful education for today's world.

pleep:

I think these people would make excellent unskilled workers if they were given job opportunities.  Something like making shoes, assembling cell phones, or making clothing. They problem is lack of jobs, and the solution to that is simple. 

All this stuff we import from china, could easily be made locally.
Good idea in theory. Bad in practice, since we don't have electricity. Provide electricity and then you can create manufacturing jobs.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Jaideyone(m): 5:38am On May 27, 2011
These northerners are animals. This is pathetic
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Nobody: 5:40am On May 27, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

@post
sorry for that, thank God u realize that Majority of Northerner are not only beggars but butches of Killing Machine
let me ask you one question,
do u think that is only in your region is where they have poor people?
poverty is like a cloth that almost! all Nigeria, i mean all Nigeria are putting on everyday,yet they control their anger in terms of crisis. the problem you almajiri people are having is not poor,rather been allow yourself to be used by those politicians who doesn't know the different between the living and the death. IN SE/SS/SW, they still have poor people there,STOP deceiving us with this INFERIOR, RUBBISH and silly EXCUSES of yours for killing INNOCENT CORPERS and CHRISTIANS in the north
i manage to start something for myself when i don't have money to pay for my waec which i made alot of money from there,paid for my waec,jamb and entered university,in my second year in university, i lost my father. i faced a lot of challenges,but i got to put myself on the track by helping people to do some computer ,in which i manage till i graduate,
now l'm currently doing my NYSC (thank God i was killed)
1.HOW DO U KNW THE POSTER IS FROM THE NORTH?
2.YOU MST BE A WALKING GHOST embarassed embarassed grin grin
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by joecrack(m): 6:02am On May 27, 2011
Quite sad,is the norm in the north,the elites and middle class who are suppose to be educated see all these and yet doesn't seem to be a problem to them,but its to their peril and that of their children,these almajiris would grow up without education~employment and by the time they are frustrated,the society would suffer for it.
People like buhari,ibb,gusau et al through out the years with their level of influence could not rally the north to put an end to this dehumanising menace<but no,they want to be presidents,so they drag other parts of nigeria backwards with their crude,conservative ideals.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Mynd44: 6:08am On May 27, 2011
Sad but still not a good enough excuse
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Muktar05(m): 6:24am On May 27, 2011
Pathetic but that is not an excuse. The blame is on You, cos not all almajiris engage in that nonsensical act of urs. Immagine, to the extend that u dont attend classes. You better change bro!
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by mail4gift2(m): 6:32am On May 27, 2011
grin they have not seen anything yet, the northern leaders take our oil and steal our money, and yet, their people continue to beg in the street, gademmm, them never see anything,
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by chamber2(m): 6:57am On May 27, 2011
@poster capital RUBBISH if u know what i passed through just to get secondary school education? U will stop giving sily excusses for diz wicked souls that kills innocent people @will. The country is hard YES but that is no reason to kill and destroy peoples property how can dey understand diz when they fight "western education" itself? Am in kaduna i know what am talking about. Diz una people lazy die and am sure even quraan support laziness. One nigeria 

Thank you.

whose fault? Government or the al majiris? We in the east and other parts of the country struggled both under the rain to ensure that we get little education to enable us stand tall among our mates.There is free and compulsory education in this country from pry sch to at least JSS 3.Why can't they embrace it?

The case of the al majiris is the bye-product of decayed parenthood, and  the greedy elite class.The northern elite have benefited immensely from the Nigerian society and yet there is no much to say about the quality of life of their people.The al majiris should start by executing all northern elite and political class for they are partly responsible for their current predicament.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by shagaman: 7:00am On May 27, 2011
The Almajiri issue is a very big one,i served in the north and i know atleast i tried i have visted Kano,Kaduna,Jos,Katsina while i stayed in Zaria,you only need to go and eat at a local buka to know how hungry this guys are,waiting for you to rinse your hands while they pounce on your left overs,Those guys only hear go when it turns to violence,
A particular incident happened at PZ in Zaria when i went to collect my corper allowee that there was this religious riot and Standard Bank now UBA locked us out of the premises, i never knew i could run as fast as i did,
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by OWOLAYEMO: 7:11am On May 27, 2011
The Almajiri will ultimately consume the North if they dont do anything. Good enough, the country would have divided so nobody cares.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by chamber2(m): 7:16am On May 27, 2011
The Almajiri will ultimately consume the North if they dont do anything. Good enough, the country would have divided so nobody cares.

Exactly, the northern elites seem not to see anything wrong with this though.I pity them, when there are no corpers to kill am sure they will resort to killing the politicians.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by efisher(m): 7:22am On May 27, 2011
CNN is currently running a series on Ending Modern Day Slavery (The CNN Freedom Project). In one of the reports, it was mentioned that children are kidnapped and disfigured on purpose in India. This is done to make them into beggars. The proceeds from the beggars are collected by a powerful cartel and used to fund all sorts of political / terrorist activities.

The almajiri story is not far from this. The leaders of the north who adopt and control this system are enslaving these children. They not only use them to gather funds, they also use them to achieve political gains. I can describe these unfortunate children as an "army of slaves".

Just like any other retrogressive and selfish system, I believe the system will soon turn around and sting these "leaders of the north". The almajiri system is barbaric and has no justification whatsoever.

I also think the problem is not Islam as a religion but the practice and selfishness of the religious and political leaders. I have friends from Dubai (UAE), Saudi Arabia and Qatar who I have interacted with on this issue. I tried to find out why these countries have less political problems unlike others like Pakistan, Yemen and Iraq even if they all practice Islam. Two major points came to fore: Poverty and the Political system. These issues are strong drivers for the problems we witness in the north today. Until the leaders begin to "liberalize" the society and take up their responsibility of educating and providing for these kids, there will be no end in sight.

That reminds me, I may as well recommend the almajiri story to CNN. Let's put the spotlight on this issue. Let's raise some dust. I'm off to CNN website. . .
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by Thirst4Lif: 7:31am On May 27, 2011
This piece should have been entitled 'The Makings of a Jihadist.' Extremist groups

prey on poor and neglected young people such as this boy.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by chamber2(m): 7:32am On May 27, 2011
CNN is currently running a series on Ending Modern Day Slavery. In one of the reports, it was mentioned that children and youths are kidnapped and disfigured on purpose in India. This is done to make them into beggars. The proceeds from the beggars are collected by a powerful cartel and used to fund all sorts of political activities.

The almajiri story is not far from this. The leaders of the north who adopt and control this system are enslaving these children. They not only use them to gather funds, they also use them to achieve political gains. I can describe these unfortunate children as an "army of slaves".

Just like any other retrogressive and selfish system, I believe the system will soon turn around and sting these "leaders of the north". The almajiri system is barbaric and has no justification whatsoever.

I also think the problem is not Islam as a religion but the practice and selfishness of the religious and political leaders. I have friends from Dubai, Saudi Arabia and Qatar who I have interacted with on this issue. I tried to find out why these countries have less political problems unlike others like Pakistan, Yemen and Iraq even if they all practice Islam. Two major points came to fore: Poverty and the Political system. These issues are strong drivers for the problems we witness in the north today. Until the leaders begin to "liberalize" the society and take up their responsibility of educating and providing for these kids, there will be no end in sight.

That reminds me, I may as well recommend the almajiri story to CNN. Let's put the spotlight on this issue. Let's raise some dust. I'm off to CNN website,

Well said.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by maasoap(m): 7:38am On May 27, 2011
I've been saying it in this forum that the issue of violence and almajiris in the North has more to do with their Culture than Islam. The culture that put male children on the streets as early as age of 5yrs. If religion is the main cause, why the Southern muslims are not like them. A kid that no parents provide food, cloth , shelter and education for. A kid that no parents make frantic efforts to locate and protect during impending or actual crisis. A kid that no parents miss. Even if the Nigerian govt is not responsible, it is still the parents' duty to cater for and protect their children. And the only body that can correct this cultural deficiency is ACF because it represents their culture. Thanks.
Re: My Name Is Almajiri: A Story by charlisco(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2011
Thank God i was not born by a northern parent who might has sent me to almajiri school of system? i hate begging, to even ask from my parent i found it difficult let alone a stranger

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ezekwesili Lied Shamelessly – Doyin Okupe / BREAKING NEWS- Gov Fayose Defeated APC Again 26-0 / Possible Solution To Nigeria's Health Care Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.