Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,651 members, 7,851,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:21 PM

Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep (433 Views)

Trigger-Happy Policeman Kills Father Of 1 Over Okada Accident In Abuja / Trigger-Happy Policeman Kills Corps Member, Injures LAUTECH Graduate In Oyo / Trigger-Happy Policeman Kills Man In Kogi Over Sachet Water (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by divinehand2003(m): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2021
.I felt bullet hit me; I remember saying ‘Oga, you don kill person’ 

•I thought I was dead until I opened my eyes in the hospital- victim

• Another victim narrates what led to the shooting

By Evelyn Usman

Her  line  rang out at the first dial. By the time she picked it at the second try,  she spoke in a raspy whisper , causing this reporter to strain her ears to hear her.

Twenty-six-year-old Dignity Etukudo , an upcoming  artist , was shot by a trigger-happy policeman on August 21,2021, at Golden Tulip/Shoprite parking lot in Amuwo Odofin  area of Lagos.

The Akwa-ibom state born had left Abuja for Lagos, to perform at one of her friend’s wedding reception, only to get more than she bargained for,  as  a bullet fired by a policeman who was engaged in a verbal confrontation with the celebrant’s relative, hit her . She passed out!

Near death experience

Digi, as she is fondly called, narrated how she was almost killed for attempting to pacify some policemen who were quarrelling with the celebrant’s  brother.

Hear her: “  The bride is a family friend and I was also  one of  the  bridesmaids.  The reception started very late . We decided to stay back to allow the traffic in that axis to pine down.  While we were at the after party, I performed .  As I was coming out to get a cab to  go home at about 9pm or  10pm, I heard a policeman arguing  with the bride’s brother and his friend at the car park.

“ I  saw one of the policemen hit the bride’s brother with his gun . The policeman was so angry that he threatened to shoot .  He positioned his rifle to shoot  and I  became nervous and started shouting ‘please don’t shoot. He is the bride’s brother ‘.

READ ALSO: Kwara most peaceful State, says IGP

”My plea fell on deaf ears . He fired a shot . It happened in a flash. I felt the bullet hit me. The only thing I remembered   saying was ‘oga you don kill person. You don kill’…

At this point, she paused to take a breath.  It was a long wait.

Continuing, she said, “ I thought I was dead. The next time I opened my eyes was at the Navy Reference Hospital, Ojo.  The bullet hit me in the shoulder and pierced  out of my back, just four centimeters away from my heart. I had several blood transfusions .  I fought to stay alive from the day I was rushed to the hospital. I did a debrimo surgery .

“I can’t move my hand at the moment because  it happened around my shoulder “, said Dignity who has been in the entertainment industry for one year.

Another injured victim

When Crime Guard contacted   Ozoemena  Ebuka, the bride’s brother who was having an altercation with the policeman  that prompted  Dignity to intervene,  he revealed that the policeman broke his skull with the butt of his gun.

Explaining what  led to the verbal confrontation that degenerated into bloodbath, 24-year-old Ebuka, an entertainment  artist , said, “ Immediately the Disk Jogger DJ stopped the music that night, I left the hall for the car park, ready to leave. The artist I invited to play for my sister as my surprise gift to her, sat behind.  He left the car to urinate, only for me to see him being harassed by a policeman. He was even running away from the policeman.

“ I rushed  there and saw three policemen.  I introduced myself as the bride’s brother and also told them that the man they were quarrelling with was our guest.  In response, one of the policemen asked ” who are you ?’ Then he held me on my shirt and  I was wearing a tie. He started  dragging my tie to choke me. All  I asked was why he was  rough-handling me.

“By the way, the cause of the ugly show was that our  guest was accused of urinating where he was not supposed to.

“People came to beg the policeman to leave me alone but he refused. Dignity came too. His colleague  brought out his gun and hit me on the head while the first one still held on to my neck.  The one that hit me with the butt of the gun, moved away from me and fired a shot into the air. He fired another shot. It was after the second shot that I heard someone say, “ them don kill me’

Hospital denial

“ By the time I turned, I saw Dignity on the floor . Immediately, the man holding my shirt left me .The policeman that opened fire was still threatening to shoot anyone that would come close to him. He fired two warning shots again .

“ I rushed to where Didi was , carried  her into the car and drove to two different hospitals where we were told they could not treat her. They outrightly denied us access in the first hospital. But at the second hospital, they gave her a drip to resuscitate her and referred us to the Navy Reference Hospital, Ojo.  Since then , I have been with Didi at the hospital”.

Crime Guard gathered that one of the guests who attempted to video the scene was almost shot by the policeman , who later left the scene with his colleagues.

Policemen from Area ‘E’ Festac have reportedly visited the hospital to visit Dignity and have also taken her statement on what transpired that night.

Information  at crime Guard’s disposal further revealed that the policemen were deployed to Golden Tulip to secure the hotel. Their identities were yet to be revealed officially as at the time of writing this report. But the one that fired the shot was identified by eye witnesses who gave out his name.

When contacted, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Ade Ajisebutu, said he was not aware of the incident.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/09/trigger-happy-policeman-shoots-upcoming-artist-after-performing-in-wedding-reception-2/
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by tydi(m): 8:01am On Sep 18, 2021
Scrap the entire Nigeria police force.
Reorientation wouldn’t do nada to their already damaged brains
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by divinehand2003(m): 8:07am On Sep 18, 2021
This is sad.
I remember when youths like this upcoming artiste were strongly campaigning for the improvement in the welfare of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) during the End SARS protest. If only they knew that the problem of our forces is systemic and stems way back from the mode of employment and training of these officers.

End SARS was a waste of time.
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by seandurse(m): 8:11am On Sep 18, 2021
sad
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by divinehand2003(m): 8:14am On Sep 18, 2021
If you call the police to inform them about armed bandits, robbers or unknown gunmen, the NAF will be nowhere to be found. But when it has to do with unarmed harmless citizens, the NAF will quickly move to the site to cause more problems and sometimes even kill someone in the process.

What kind of forces are these?
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by Kayberg: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2021
angry
And just like that, a life could have been cut short.
A career could have been ended.
A mother could have been bereaved.
A father could have been bereaved.
A family could have been thrown into mourning.
A nation's population could have been reduced by one.
Nigeria, a nation that values nothing but cows, crude and loans.
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by xpressionx(m): 8:32am On Sep 18, 2021
wicked Nigeria Police
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by Paulplayy: 8:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Re: Trigger-happy Policeman Shoots Upcoming Artist After Performing In Wedding Recep by Auxtin85(m): 8:38am On Sep 18, 2021
Police didn’t learn any lesson from the #endsars protest

(1) (Reply)

Some Rare Photos Of Nigerian Policemen Drinking And Gambling While In Duty. / Bamise Ayanwola: Missing Lady Who Boarded BRT Found Dead / Full Video Of Popular Money RITUALIST Confess How Plus Up And Money Ritual Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.