Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? (1249 Views)

Atiku Vs Buhari, Who Is Likely To Win South West? / Between Jonathan And Buhari, Who Introduced BVN? / Results From Buhari's Daura Polling Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2021
With the current stance of the Southern Governors' Forum on who should succeed the present Nigerian President, a brand new political climate has been ushered in. The Forum's position is that the next Nigerian President MUST come from the South.

From my past observation of the Northern politicians, this is how I expect they are going to respond to this position of the Southern governors:

1. Using the money made from Southern oil fields, they will try to buy over the Southern governors. They will not like to go far with a confrontational approach because this can easily lead the Southern governors to go secessionist, possibly pushing for a Republic of Southern Nigeria. Of course, that is the last thing the North ever wants.

2. If they fail to buy over a good number of the Southern governors, they will support one of them (or some other Southern politician) who dances to the Northern tune to succeed the current President. In that case, fellows like Hope Uzodinma, Bola Tinubu, Kayode Fayemi, and Rochas Okorocha will feature prominently. The problem is that, with any of such candidates, the interests of the North may even be better represented than those of the South.

After all, what the Southern governors asked for is only for a Southerner to succeed the current President. As Governor Akeredolu put it bluntly recently...

“ If my president, Muhammadu Buhari has ruled for eight years, then it cannot be from the North again. The next president must come from the South. We have not gotten to the stage where we will say let us give it to somebody who is competent”.

But, I tell you my people that, if we're to accept that bolded part out of desperation, we are going to regret it as many of us are now regretting to have supported a Buhari Presidency. No, we shouldn't want just ANY Southerner to represent the South this time.

SOUTHERN YOUTHS ARISE!!!

Thus, after the Southern governors have said their minds on the issue, the people should say their minds too. Otherwise, we'd soon be going through another 8-year cycle of suffering-and-complaining.

Are we ready for that? Surely no. Therefore, let the position of the Nairaland community on this issue be made known through individual viewpoints here. We Nigerian youths (especially from the South) should stop being politically lazy. Instead, we should be politically up and doing. We should be making our political position clear. We should also be participating in the political process.

So, who is that Southern Nigerian YOU personally want to succeed President Buhari and why?

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2021
Below is my own list. While you give your own opinions, I will also be commenting individually on these candidates and why I think they should be considered.

At last, I will mention just ONE of them who is my pick of all picks and why. I urge y'all to take this thread seriously enough because "our mumu don do" and we should be tired of suffering and of our destinies being used for endless political experiments.

1. Prof. Yemi Osinbajo
2. Mrs. Aisha Yesufu
3. Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu
4. Mr. Donald Duke
5. Mr. Femi Falana, SAN
6. Mr. Peter Obi
7. Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN
8. Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
9. Professor Pat Utomi
10. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
11. Mr. Akinwunmi Adesina
12. Hon. Ike Ekweremmadu
13. Barr. Reno Omokri

NOTE: Remember that I haven't listed these people because any of them is PERFECT. There's no such a thing as a perfect person. Instead, I have listed these people because I think that each of them has enough conscience and competence to take Nigeria some steps forward rather than backwards as we've had it these last 6 years plus.

3 Likes

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by Tissaia(f): 5:16pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lol. Besides
Yemi Osinbajo, Fashola, and Okonjo-Iweala the rest can't be local government chairman

2 Likes

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2021
1. PROF. YEMI OSINBAJO
Prof. Yemi Osinbajo is far from being my first choice. But I have listed him first to avoid jolting the readers. At least, it doesn't sound too radical to advocate for the current VP to take over from his principal. Otherwise, what I would suggest is a system overhaul where it's not the usual kind of succession that gets thrown up.

That being said, as a professor of law and someone who has been in government from the state levels for a long time, there is no doubt that Professor Osinbajo is quite competent to lead our embattled country at these trying times.

Also, as a pastor of a well-known church, I want to believe that Professor Osinbajo would be conscious of not messing up his name and the name of his church - if not for any other reason. We've seen him pilot the country a few times that his principal handed over to him while traveling.

In terms of image-marketing (which is a very important issue in international politics), the average Nigerian would be proud to have someone like Professor Osinbajo to represent him. His grasp on issues, his ability at expressing them, and his overall stature can foot the bill of a President anywhere in the world.

On the lighter side, even Trump in his second coming would be afraid to describe Osinbajo as "lifeless" or else, he'd bamboozle him with legal terms grin

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by TheRareGem1(f): 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2021
Osinbajo is the real deal. What he did during his acting days alone is a convincing enough for Nigerians to make him the President.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by Deputy1111(m): 5:52pm On Sep 18, 2021
Osinbajo will be the best candidate , he has proved his capability when he the acting president

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by seunmsg(m): 5:53pm On Sep 18, 2021
Aisha Yesufu and Reno Omokry? You probably think wining the presidency is a kind of joke, right?
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 5:54pm On Sep 18, 2021
2. MRS. AISHA SOMTOCHUKWU YESUFU
I believe that the ideal candidate for the position of the Nigerian President should be someone who is so dogged and so selfless that he/she would be ready to die for the country. Currently, there's hardly any Nigerian who fits into this description better than the BBOG amazon Aisha Yesufu.

Many times, the woman has put her life on the line even when she didn't seem to have any political clout backing her up. Such a person would go to any length to make any sacrifice needed to push the country forward.

Moreover, as an Edo woman raised in the North, and married to an Igbo man, as a Muslim who has lived among Christians, Aisha's kind of socio-political balance can hardly be matched by anyone else. Being a woman also and originally from a minority tribe, this would be a great opportunity to show the world that we're not all about terrorism. Instead, we're a country that treasures justice, equity and fairness. Of course, these are the very values that Aisha represents.

seunmsg:
Aisha Yesufu and Reno Omokry? You probably think wining the presidency is a kind of joke, right?
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by okefranci: 5:58pm On Sep 18, 2021
kiss
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 6:35pm On Sep 18, 2021
3. DR. OGBONNAYA ONU
The first Executive Governor of Abia State, the immediate past Minister of Science and Technology, and the current Secretary to the Government of the Federation is a gentleman who hardly talks. So, many people may have written him off or even failed to notice him as a good candidate to take over the mantle of the Nigerian Presidency.

But, my reason for nominating him is due to his past records, intelligence, and personal stability. In case you don't know it, this is one of the few Nigerians who stuck with the opposition through out the PDP years. In a country where most politicians are prostitutes who keep switching sides based on what is convenient, this is a very commendable background to have.

A first-class graduate of chemical engineering from the University of Lagos who also holds a PhD in chemical engineering from the prestigious University of California in Berkeley, Onu is notably intelligent. And, he has maintained this intelligence all these years.

On the lighter side, as a chemical engineer who knows how to mix different chemicals, expect that Onu would be particularly good at administering a mixed country like Nigeria. There is truth in this joke though. You just need to see how cordially Onu is able to relate with people from different parts of the country to know that his PhD in chemical engineering also has a social twist to it. I also know him as a 'silent philanthropist'. He helps people without making noise about it.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by pointstores(m): 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2021
Well well
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by fergie001: 6:50pm On Sep 18, 2021
Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Mr. Peter Obi (in no order).

The reality is they do not have enough political base but when fully backed, any of them will do very well.

Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN (a good pick but he wouldn't have the backing from the homefront).

Our Politics is too toxic for this two (Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala & Mr. Akinwunmi Adesina), otherwise they will be top on my list.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 7:22pm On Sep 18, 2021
4. MR. DONALD DUKE
If you remember many innovative economic steps taken by Mr. Donald Duke in his days as the Governor of Cross River, you may not need anyone to tell you that he has what it takes to make a grand positive difference if he ever gets an opportunity to lead the country as a President. One area he stood out was in his creative IGR strategies whereby he created big revenue streams for the state out of nowhere.

For instance, with his famous Calabar Carnival, Mr. Duke instantly turned Calabar into an international tourist destination. He also did more in tourism by upgrading Obudu Cattle Ranch to an international standard (although I wonder why cattle is not ranched at the cattle ranch). The sheer cleanliness of the city of Calabar in Duke's days was enough tourist asset.

Then, Tinapa also comes to mind.

Donald Duke's extraordinary simplicity also speaks eloquently. He kept a low profile in his days as a governor. He continued with the title of 'Mr' even when he was doing better than professors. He never allowed his photo to be hung in public offices. And, he has never used his position as an ex-governor to gain political advantage over anyone. It's the reason he never went to the Senate like most other ex-governors.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by 10mobile: 7:44pm On Sep 18, 2021
Look at how this thread is deserted and you realize why Nigeria is the way it is. The corrupt elders are not our number 1 problem. The political apathy of our youths is. Well done op. I nominate Donald Duke.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by 10mobile: 7:51pm On Sep 18, 2021
fergie001:

The reality is they do not have enough political base but when fully backed, any of them will do very well.

Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN (a good pick but he wouldn't have the backing from the homefront).

Our Politics is too toxic for this two (Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala & Mr. Akinwunmi Adesina), otherwise they will be top on my list.
I differ with you on why Akinwunmi and Okonjo-Iweala shouldn't be considered. After all, both of them have functioned well as ministers in the 'toxic' system. They were born, bread, and buttered here, not overseas. If your house is burning, you bring in the best fire fighters. You don't say, "oh, the situation is too toxic for the best hands". These two are even the ones who understand international economics and have the relevant connections to connect Nigeria to the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 7:57pm On Sep 18, 2021
10mobile:
Look at how this thread is deserted and you realize why Nigeria is the way it is. The corrupt elders are not our number 1 problem. The political apathy of our youths is. Well done op. I nominate Donald Duke.

fergie001:

I need you guys to also think beyond my list in making your suggestions. May be there are great candidates that I left out. My aim here is to make us brainstorm on the way forward. We need to think deep.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by spy24(m): 7:57pm On Sep 18, 2021
Peter Obi, Ifeanyi Okowa

The only Westerner I can support is fashola the rest can go and sleep

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by Welcum: 8:09pm On Sep 18, 2021
President Rotimi Akeredolu would be wonderful. He's the Southern politician with the biggest balls.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by Welcum: 8:11pm On Sep 18, 2021
spy24:
Peter Obi, Ifeanyi Okowa

The only Westerner I can support is fashola the rest can go and sleep

Why Okowa? What remarkable difference has he made?
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by HelloWriter: 8:18pm On Sep 18, 2021
5. FEMI FALANA, SAN
I am nominating Falana based on his consistent timely interventions in local political issues. Although he hasn't handled a public political office to prove what he can do as a President, he has enough professional and leadership experience to compensate for that. Falana's track records also portray him as a conscientious Nigerian.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by spy24(m): 8:20pm On Sep 18, 2021
Welcum:

Why Okowa? What remarkable difference has he made?

To say the truth eh . I don't have a cogent reason

But I just have this feeling that he'll do well
In his 8 years in Delta the state have been relatively stable
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by EILTD(m): 8:21pm On Sep 18, 2021
Nice one op. Unbiased and factual. You made your point. Even though I prefer an Igbo for equity sake below is my list. Everyone below are technocrats.

1. Emeka Nwajiuba - 1st Choice
2. Babatunde Fashola - 2nd Choice
3. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala - 3rd Choice
4. Yemi Osinbajo
5. Dave Umahi
6. Rotimi Akeredolu
7. Peter Obi
8. Ogbonnaya Onu
9. Donald Duke
10. Omoyele Sowore
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:21pm On Sep 18, 2021
HelloWriter:
1. PROF. YEMI OSINBAJO
Prof. Yemi Osinbajo is far from being my first choice. But I have listed him first to avoid jolting the readers. At least, it doesn't sound too radical to advocate for the current VP to take over from his principal. Otherwise, what I would suggest is a system overhaul where it's not the usual kind of succession that gets thrown up.

That being said, as a professor of law and someone who has been in government from the state levels for a long time, there is no doubt that Professor Osinbajo is quite competent to lead our embattled country at these trying times.

Also, as a pastor of a well-known church, I want to believe that Professor Osinbajo would be conscious of not messing up his name and the name of his church - if not for any other reason. We've seen him pilot the country a few times that his principal handed over to him while traveling.

In terms of image-marketing (which is a very important issue in international politics), the average Nigerian would be proud to have someone like Professor Osinbajo to represent him. His grasp on issues, his ability at expressing them, and his overall stature can foot the bill of a President anywhere in the world.

On the lighter side, even Trump in his second coming would be afraid to describe Osinbajo as "lifeless" or else, he'd bamboozle him with legal terms grin

This is just Sad and disappointing
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:22pm On Sep 18, 2021
HelloWriter:
2. MRS. AISHA SOMTOCHUKWU YESUFU
I believe that the ideal candidate for the position of the Nigerian President should be someone who is so dogged and so selfless that he/she would be ready to die for the country. Currently, there's hardly any Nigerian who fits into this description better than the BBOG amazon Aisha Yesufu.

Many times, the woman has put her life on the line even when she didn't seem to have any political clout backing her up. Such a person would go to any length to make any sacrifice needed to push the country forward.

Moreover, as an Edo woman raised in the North, and married to an Igbo man, as a Muslim who has lived among Christians, Aisha's kind of socio-political balance can hardly be matched by anyone else. Being a woman also and originally from a minority tribe, this would be a great opportunity to show the world that we're not all about terrorism. Instead, we're a country that treasures justice, equity and fairness. Of course, these are the very values that Aisha represents.

Hilarious and Unthinkable
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:24pm On Sep 18, 2021
HelloWriter:
3. DR. OGBONNAYA ONU
The first Executive Governor of Abia State, the immediate past Minister of Science and Technology, and the current Secretary to the Government of the Federation is a gentleman who hardly talks. So, many people may have written him off or even failed to notice him as a good candidate to take over the mantle of the Nigerian Presidency.

But, my reason for nominating him is due to his past records, intelligence, and personal stability. In case you don't know it, this is one of the few Nigerians who stuck with the opposition through out the PDP years. In a country where most politicians are prostitutes who keep switching sides based on what is convenient, this is a very commendable background to have.

A first-class graduate of chemical engineering from the University of Lagos who also holds a PhD in chemical engineering from the prestigious University of California in Berkeley, Onu is notably intelligent. And, he has maintained this intelligence all these years.

On the lighter side, as a chemical engineer who knows how to mix different chemicals, expect that Onu would be particularly good at administering a mixed country like Nigeria. There is truth in this joke though. You just need to see how cordially Onu is able to relate with people from different parts of the country to know that his PhD in chemical engineering also has a social twist to it. I also know him as a 'silent philanthropist'. He helps people without making noise about it.

Too Invincible, I honestly thought he was from Ebonyi state...
But a fresh hand so okay
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:25pm On Sep 18, 2021
HelloWriter:
4. MR. DONALD DUKE
If you remember many innovative economic steps taken by Mr. Donald Duke in his days as the Governor of Cross River, you may not need anyone to tell you that he has what it takes to make a grand positive difference if he ever gets an opportunity to lead the country as a President. One area he stood out was in his creative IGR strategies whereby he created big revenue streams for the state out of nowhere.

For instance, with his famous Calabar Carnival, Mr. Duke instantly turned Calabar into an international tourist destination. He also did more in tourism by upgrading Obudu Cattle Ranch to an international standard (although I wonder why cattle is not ranched at the cattle ranch). The sheer cleanliness of the city of Calabar in Duke's days was enough tourist asset.

Then, Tinapa also comes to mind.

Donald Duke's extraordinary simplicity also speaks eloquently. He kept a low profile in his days as a governor. He continued with the title of 'Mr' even when he was doing better than professors. He never allowed his photo to be hung in public offices. And, he has never used his position as an ex-governor to gain political advantage over anyone. It's the reason he never went to the Senate like most other ex-governors.

REASONABLE but also invincible
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:26pm On Sep 18, 2021
HelloWriter:
5. FEMI FALANA, SAN
I am nominating Falana based on his consistent timely interventions in local political issues. Although he hasn't handled a public political office to prove what he can do as a President, he has enough professional and leadership experience to compensate for that. Falana's track records also portray him as a conscientious Nigerian.

LOL highest bidder, hypocritical holier than thou .

Well I guess that's what a lawyer is post to be innit
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:28pm On Sep 18, 2021
fergie001:

Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 8:34pm On Sep 18, 2021
Peter Obi ( competent monster)

Dr Fayemi ( competent monster)

Tinubu, ( competent theiving monster)Yes I prefer Over Osinbanjo( Incompetent Hypocritical Pretensious condescending monster)...Osinbanjo and Buhari are equal.

Umahi ( competent asslicker)

Donald Duke ( competent monster)

All politicians are monsters
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by Corporate2020: 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2021
Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo the Solution is Southern Nigeria's current best brain in terms of managing the battered Economy. Unfortunately, he does not belong to the evil ruling cabal and cannot get there now.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by 10mobile: 9:27pm On Sep 18, 2021
BigSarah:

Hilarious and Unthinkable
You Vmales, you cry about marginalization but you always fight against one another not to rise. Why did you say this about Aisha? If you ask me, there is no Nigerian who is better qualified to be the President than her.
Re: Southern Nigerians Who Should Take Over From Buhari: Who Are They And Why? by BigSarah(f): 9:31pm On Sep 18, 2021
10mobile:

You Vmales, you cry about marginalization but you always fight against one another not to rise. Why did you say this about Aisha? If you ask me, there is no Nigerian who is better qualified to be the President than her.

You know she's a paid for her activism, like deji adeyanju

I look at the whole picture, not only what I like about the picture

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku May Become PDP Candidate, APC Must Field Northerner To Retain Power / Why Are ALL Peter Obi's Supporters Very Insultive, Intolerant, & Aggressive? / Nigeria Will Sink If Nigerians Vote In Tinubu. Yoruba Preacher Warn Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.