Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' (20184 Views)

Taiwan And Japan's Joy At AUKUS Submarine Pact To Take On China(Pictures) / Boris Johnson And Girlfriend, Carrie Symonds Move Into Downing Street / Boris Johnson Is The New Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by achillesfoot(m): 9:54am On Sep 19, 2021
Meninmen:

Get rid of your colonial mentality! This is the 21sf century and in this 21st century, the UK is mostly subservient to the US. If you really want to have an idea, read about the Suez canal crisis. When Britian (together with Isreal and France) invaded the Sinai, the US threatened to destroy the British financial system. That was how Britian shamefully backed off. Many Historians would tell you that incident marked the death of Britian as a major world power!

You see the UK flexing Naval might in the South China Sea. it is because the US has done it and continues to do it and supports the UK doing it. If the US was not there, UK wouldn't dare venture into that area!
. Normally I wouldn't respond but look at it well. It's not a matter of colonial mentality cos if it's so, then we are all part of it including you cos you replied me in English language.. 21st century or not, What I'm saying is the UK and US are one, not two, one.. It's like the case of elder and younger brother.. So if the UK backs off for the US to fix it doesn't mean they are weak.. If you read properly I said they have perfected the art of camouflage... You see those British people, boss free them oh, their own witchcraft is on another level. Them come carry our own add join their own..

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Wrecxman(m): 10:17am On Sep 19, 2021
diplomat058:
Yes, The British have always been American lapdogs. Right from days of Woodrow Wilson when the US saved their parasitic ass from the fierce and furious Germans, the rest has been a case of an home boy tiptoeing his master. Even British Foreign Policy is essentially applied Anglo-American interests.

Some days ago when I read in the news that the UK is showing some muscles to China along the Taiwan straits, I laugh in Gibraltar. Surely, they dare not dare the Russians. It wont take Putin some days to remind Boris that, without the Americans, Britain and it's land amassing Queen are just an upgraded Morocco

And by the time the dumb and gullible French-speaking African countries wake up from their slumber and reject France, they'd be no more than a remodeled Benin Republic. undecided
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by JuanDeDios: 10:37am On Sep 19, 2021
Buliwyf:

See the kind of childish clowns on Nairaland. I just made a comment on how contracts work based on the complains France themselves made. You yourself were telling them to let it go and I was pointing out to you that no country has ever done that. Some even go as far as seeking arbitration in world courts. Now you have resorted to insults because you can't even defend your claims with logic. I don't blame you. It should have been clear you are a king of morons from your claims about them forgetting the contract. What a joke. A man cannot think beyond the abilities of his mental faculties. What a clown cheesy
If they have a case, I think they should do that. Better than these tantrums.
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 10:40am On Sep 19, 2021
JuanDeDios:

If they have a case, I think they should do that. Better than these tantrums.

I think they don't want to drag the case in court. They are just looking for other forms of compensation so they are trying to be as loud as possible so they still get something out of it. Also remember that if they just keep quiet about it, they will be sending the wrong signals to everyone that they can take any nonsense without protest. That's the point of this whole tantrum you are seeing.

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Cousin9999: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2021
Wrecxman:

And by the time the dumb and gullible French-speaking African countries wake up from their slumber and reject France, they'd be no more than a remodeled Benin Republic. undecided

Why are you so mad at Francophone Africans? Did some Congolese take your girl?

Mind you, Ivory Coast and Senegal welcome Nigerians while Ghana doesn't.

Enjoy this Congolese music and relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgW637A4BU
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 19, 2021
achillesfoot:
. Normally I wouldn't respond but look at it well. It's not a matter of colonial mentality cos if it's so, then we are all part of it including you cos you replied me in English language.. 21st century or not, What I'm saying is the UK and US are one, not two, one.. It's like the case of elder and younger brother.. So if the UK backs off for the US to fix it doesn't mean they are weak.. If you read properly I said they have perfected the art of camouflage... You see those British people, boss free them oh, their own witchcraft is on another level. Them come carry our own add join their own..

My brother, as things stand today, the UK is not a major world power, whether militarily or financially. The US and UK are the closest allies in the world. We all know. But the US is like the elder brother and UK the younger brother. The US can start a war on it's own, even against a strong country. The UK can't. It must be sure the US is with it on going to war before it decides to go to war.

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 19, 2021
cyrilamx:
Do you know that not even the US could hv built the first atomic bomb without the British? At the height of WWII, the British Security Coordination hearded Churchill trusted aid-Stephenson, the man Churchill code-named the Intrepid, helped extracted the then world most famous atomic scientist-Niels Bohr out of Nazi Denmark with a twin engine moon plane to the UK, from where he was flown to Manhattan desert to build the atomic bomb. Originally, the British were even racing ahead to build it before the Nazis, but the prosecution of the war in which they now stood alone after France fell to the Nazis, made them to seek the financial aid of the US who were still observing the doctrine of isolationism. Even when Churchill intimated the US, very few Americans--the president and even few of his trusted aides, not even vice president Truman knew of what was going on in Manhattan desert. It was all a British projects until funds were needed, hence they shipped the projects to the US. In otherworld, the Brits sold the secret of atomic bombs to the US, not other way round.

Lol. What is this one saying? How does this your comment contribute meaningfully to the discussion on ground?

As things stand today, Britian is not a major world power; whether militarily or financially. This is a fact that is not debatable!

Do you know France helped the US fight the American revolution war against Britain that resulted in British loss and America gaining independence? Does that make France a world power today? No!
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by themanderon: 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2021
Look at the hypocritical France pointing fingers at others. They are the reason most francophone African countries are dirt poor today.
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by JuanDeDios: 6:40pm On Sep 19, 2021
Buliwyf:

I think they don't want to drag the case in court. They are just looking for other forms of compensation so they are trying to be as loud as possible so they still get something out of it. Also remember that if they just keep quiet about it, they will be sending the wrong signals to everyone that they can take any nonsense without protest. That's the point of this whole tantrum you are seeing.
Fair point.
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by nervorum: 1:23am On Sep 20, 2021
Buliwyf:

So what do you think France and Germany should do? Cancel their trade partnerships with all those countries because of the US? You mean Germany should leave cheap gas from Russia and import expensive gas from the US? I will like to hear your suggestion because it seems you are an expert on what is best for those countries. As if the US doesn't build fighter jets for China.

You people just talk based on sentiments and not one modicum of reality.

Oga, im not a foreign policy expert neither are you. We are just sharing our views in a public forum respectfully, as civilized ppl do, no need for the insolent tone.

Energy is both a political and economic tool. There is a reason it was blocked by the Trump administration (reasonably so). You cannot be asking the US to defend you against an enemy (via NATO) , yet find it okay to have a crucial trade partnership (with a huge implication on your economy) with your supposed rival. When Germany becomes the chief financier of NATO, they can choose to 'dine' with Russia all they want. THAT GAS PIPELINE WOULD BE WEAPONIZED BY PUTIN'S Russia. Pls bookmark this comment.

Every country wants to have a tactical advantage in the global power play. Putin excels at this.

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by nervorum: 2:12am On Sep 20, 2021
kjhova:

Ok, I'd fill you in on the basics.

Australia needed a strategic response to Chinese expansion in the Asia-Pacific region. In the Trump America first era, they had no one else to turn to except France who agreed to supply them diesel powered submarines + maintenance, training etc.

Contract is underway, the french has gone on to invest heavily in prep to production, the returns has been factored into future plans, only for the US & UK to secretly hijack the deal and announce the AUKUS (Australia-UK-US) security pact which includes supply of nuclear powered subs to Australia! Australia immediately cancelled the existing contract with France.

The french are angered because:
a) They are supposed to be best friends with the UK & US. Real friend's don't treat each other like that.
b) If it's nuclear powered subs the Aussies want, France make those too. It could have renegotiated the deal.
c) If indeed the fear is for China's rise, won't AUKUS be stronger as FAUKUS? why leave France out of it only to cheat her off a £65B deal?

My small addition, China is rising and China will rise. Every nation has the right to rise. It is not a criminal ambition to rise. UK once ruled the world and the US is currently rulling it. Why all these shenanigans to stop China's rise?

Hence AUKUS is a criminal gang up, IMVHO, against an innocent China. It will therefore fail and it's failure has heralded it's begining.

I like the perspective expressed in your penultimate paragraph. Indeed every nation has a right to rise. While the rise of other nations would bring checks and balances, I personally have concerns about how China and Russia would become if they have enormous power, looking at how they support and prop up irresponsible and rogue govts.

Like every nation has a right to rise, every nation reserves the right to form strategic alliances with whoever they choose, to protect their interest. China's assertion and irresponsible (in my view) land grabbing recently (in the south China Sea) is deeply concerning
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 7:14am On Sep 20, 2021
nervorum:

Oga, im not a foreign policy expert neither are you. We are just sharing our views in a public forum respectfully, as civilized ppl do, no need for the insolent tune.

Energy is both a political and economic tool. There is a reason it was blocked by the Trump administration (reasonably so). You cannot be asking the US to defend you against an enemy (via NATO) , yet find it okay to have a crucial trade partnership (with a huge implication on your economy) with your supposed rival. When Germany becomes the chief financier of NATO, they can choose to 'dine' with Russia all they want. THAT GAS PIPELINE WOULD BE WEAPONIZED BY PUTIN'S Russia. Pls bookmark this comment.

Every country wants to have a tactical advantage in the global power play. Putin excels at this.

I am sorry if you perceived my tune as insolent. Unfortunately when communicating in text the actual tune is sometimes lost and it's usually left to the reader to interpret the tune however he wants. And with the combative environment that Nairaland is I can see why it's easy to assume the other party is deriding you. Trust me, I am truly interested in what you propose for them to do that is better than what those countries are doing now.

Even at the height of the cold war, the US was trading with the USSR and so were part of Europe not under the Eastern bloc. Even right now most US consumer tech is imported and made partly or wholly in China. America has been the one propping China up for their own gain. Yet you don't want Germans to import Natural gas for their own energy and industrial needs at a cheap rate from Russia. And you don't want France to build nuclear power plants for them either considering that that's one of France's area of expertise.

So I am really curious to know if you have a better proposal for how those countries should handle their trade or if you just want them to be totally reliant on the US for everything.

On the matter of Russia weaponizing the pipeline, it won't. At least not so easily unless there is war between Germany and Russia. Russia will not want to anger the few trading partners it has by doing that. The only reason that the pipeline is a concern is that Russia can then bypass countries like Ukraine and Poland who are collecting a certain amount from the older pipeline. I only feel sorry for Ukraine. I hope they find a way to mend their relationship with Russia or get their own gas from elsewhere. But I don't feel a bit sorry for Poland. Those guys are currently doing everything against EU plans for their own interests and even threatening democratic reforms in the EU. But they don't want Germany to buy gas in its own interests? undecided

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 7:23am On Sep 20, 2021
nervorum:

I like the perspective expressed in your penultimate paragraph. Indeed every nation has a right to rise. While the rise of other nations would bring checks and balances, I personally have concerns about how China and Russia would become if they have enormous power, looking at how they support and prop up irresponsible and rogue govts.

Like every nation has a right to rise, every nation reserves the right to form strategic alliances with whoever they choose, to protect their interest. China's assertion and irresponsible (in my view) land grabbing recently (in the south China Sea) is deeply concerning

You realise the US is guilty of this too right? We can't even count how many coup they have masterminded for their own gain and how many dictators they kept propping up. The only difference is that China and Russia don't make movies that we watch that can paint them as the good guys always.
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by kjhova(m): 7:37am On Sep 20, 2021
nervorum:

You would mostly be victim of an information bubble and never realize.

Talking about "...support and prop up irresponsible and rogue govts...", if we live on the same planet, that description fit the US, UK & France more than any other nation on Earth. You may not be familiar with why the apartheid govt in S/Africa lasted so long. Also read up on Guatemala, Haiti, Zaire/Congo, Iran, Algeria, Afghanistan, Panama, Vietnam, Israel/Palestine etc on other classic cases of using US might to force the wrong govt on innocent people while fleecing their lands.

Also read up historical records of the South China Sea. It's called "South China" sea for a reason. Until the hated communists came to power in 1946 & reclaimed it for China from British control, it was always regarded as belonging to China & nobody ever argued against this.

You have to realize that almost all your sources of news is Western. Your views and scope are likely to be well shaped by their argument and their point of view. You have to consciously get above that bubble and seek out the other side of the argument.

Let me riddle you this. China has NEVER invaded any other nation in our living memory. However, in the last few decades, UK & US have invaded or funded insurgency in; Vietnam, Korea, Yoguslavia, Argentina, Panama, Guatemala, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Somalia, Libya, Nicaragua, Ireland, Sudan, Somalia, Angola, Mocambique, Afghanistan etc al!

Who should we really be scared of? China with her loan deals or the US with their military boots?!

1 Like

Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 8:10am On Sep 20, 2021
kjhova:

You would mostly be victim of an information bubble and never realize.

Talking about "...support and prop up irresponsible and rogue govts...", if we live on the same planet, that description fit the US, UK & France more than any other nation on Earth. You may not be familiar with why the apartheid govt in S/Africa lasted so long. Also read up on Guatemala, Haiti, Zaire/Congo, Iran, Algeria, Afghanistan, Panama, Vietnam, Israel/Palestine etc on other classic cases of using US might to force the wrong govt on innocent people while fleecing their lands.

Also read up historical records of the South China Sea. It's called "South China" sea for a reason. Until the hated communists came to power in 1946 & reclaimed it for China from British control, it was always regarded as belonging to China & nobody ever argued against this.

You have to realize that almost all your sources of news is Western. Your views and scope are likely to be well shaped by their argument and their point of view. You have to consciously get above that bubble and seek out the other side of the argument.

Let me riddle you this. China has NEVER invaded any other nation in our living memory. However, in the last few decades, UK & US have invaded or funded insurgency in; Vietnam, Korea, Yoguslavia, Argentina, Panama, Guatemala, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Somalia, Libya, Nicaragua, Ireland, Sudan, Somalia, Angola, Mocambique, Afghanistan etc al!

Who should we really be scared of? China with her loan deals or the US with their military boots?!

I couldn't have put it this eloquently cool
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by nervorum: 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2022
Buliwyf:

So what do you think France and Germany should do? Cancel their trade partnerships with all those countries because of the US? You mean Germany should leave cheap gas from Russia and import expensive gas from the US? I will like to hear your suggestion because it seems you are an expert on what is best for those countries. As if the US doesn't build fighter jets for China.

You people just talk based on sentiments and not one modicum of reality.

BBC News - Why Germany isn't sending weapons to Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60155002

Isn't it becoming clear nordstrom 2 is working in favour of Putin's long nursed ambition?
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2022
nervorum:

BBC News - Why Germany isn't sending weapons to Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60155002

Isn't it becoming clear nordstrom 2 is working in favour of Putin's long nursed ambition?

cheesy cheesy

BBC Article: ...the reasons why Europe's most powerful country is standing back are historical and complex. [Goes on to explain historical reasons among others]

Nervorum: Look! Look!! It's Nordstream 2!!!
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by nervorum: 6:39pm On Jan 29, 2022
Buliwyf:

cheesy cheesy

BBC Article: ...the reasons why Europe's most powerful country is standing back are historical and complex. [Goes on to explain historical reasons among others]

Nervorum: Look! Look!! It's Nordstream 2!!!

This my guy sef. Lol
Re: AUKUS: France Calls Boris Johnson An Opportunist 'fifth Wheel On The Carriage' by Buliwyf: 7:49pm On Jan 29, 2022
nervorum:

This my guy sef. Lol

wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obama Vs Romney : US Presidential Debate On October 4 2012 / Your Mouth Is Meant For Eating, Not MouthAction – Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni / Cameroon Opposition Candidate Declares Self President-elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.