Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) (58096 Views)

The Elephant Spotted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Pictures & Video) / My First Time Seeing Elephants Fight. No Wonder They Say Grass Stuffers (Video) / Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by mrkings84(m): 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Nah. Same old use for decades. They extract it at the cost of the life of the elephant.

But that's pure wickedness.....
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by MuteMute(m): 6:30pm On Sep 22, 2021
#Futazoo
Save this elephant
So sad
All eisz well
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by smasher1(m): 7:01pm On Sep 22, 2021
OnlyDeCapPlease:

Amazing stuff. But how come the locals did not know that they had elephants? These are massive animals and they make a massive trumpet noise. How come nobody knew that they were in a certain area. What else is out there that we don't know?

I think human activities may be intruding to their habitat namely farming, housing, road project making them come more in contact with humans as they would normally stay in there jungle.
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by smasher1(m): 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2021
SlayerForever:
The forest is very very think in that geographical area. Probably aided in hiding the existence of these elephants all these while.

I just reviewed the picture. The people in the picture looks like those who go into the thick forest looking for oil. That seems to explain it.

2 Likes

Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by BRATISLAVA: 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2021
mrkings84:

But that's pure wickedness.....

Yes and that is why poaching is a crime. Even if they are animals, they don't deserve that. They aren't even the type of animals that eat people.
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 22, 2021
PerfectlyPerfect:

They're more likely to find leopards than lions
Really.. I just said it oo I dont know for a fact
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:49pm On Sep 22, 2021
omoharry:
if they take off the tusk, it will be over for the elephant. Especially if it's a male. They need that tusk for fighting & to attract female elephant for mating . I believe it's a male, that is why he is alone.Female don't live alone

its a very hard decision to make.... because you cant really expect people to focus on conservation when they are broke/hungry and desperate all over the land.
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by Obakovicho: 5:15am On Sep 23, 2021
smasher1:

I just reviewed the picture. The people in the picture looks like those who go into the thick forest looking for oil. That seems to explain it.
Sesmic workers, they also die ooo cause they just enter the forest to search for crude oil sites. A friend died in this same Andoni from .......... Elephant attack, they saw an elephant and it attacked them he was crushed

1 Like

Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by Obakovicho: 5:16am On Sep 23, 2021
Godwin25king:
Heard those tusk are worth $60,000 in the black market.
From the size it's worth over $150,000 each

1 Like

Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by omoharry(f): 6:32am On Sep 23, 2021
MrBrownJay1:

its a very hard decision to make.... because you cant really expect people to focus on conservation when they are broke/hungry and desperate all over the land.
ya. You are right . Our Elephant are depleting and soon, they will go into estinction .I wish there can be a conservation for elephant, so as to protect them from poachers .
Re: African Elephants Sighted In Ikuru, Rivers State (Photos) by Godwin25king: 10:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
Obakovicho:

From the size it's worth over $150,000 each
shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gangs Of Wild Monkeys Kidnapping Cats And Dogs In Malaysia (Pics) / 4-Year-Old Girl Finds 220-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Print On UK Beach (Photos) / Snakes And Scorpions On Project Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.