Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,844 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Why Do Nigerian Politicians Always Announce The Cost Of Projects? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerian Politicians Always Announce The Cost Of Projects? (244 Views)

How Come Our Politicians always look unkempt and malnourished. / Christians Politicians Always Celebrating Sallah With Muslim But Muslims. / Loan Default: DMO Says China Won’t Take Possession Of Projects In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Politicians Always Announce The Cost Of Projects? by Ofodirinwa: 9:36pm On Sep 21, 2021
In most societies, government will brag about how it achieves great things at little or no cost. If they are going to use cost as an achievement, it will be based on how little they spent. 'I built a bridge at half the estimated cost' 'I build a road without spending tax payer money' etc.

or brag about time
"I finished the road project in half the estimated time" "I finished the airport 6 months early"

But in Nigeria, governors and the president will tell you how much they spent as an achievement. As if the inflated budget alone is worth of praise. They will give you these inflated cost numbers and in their mentality the more they spend doing something, the better that thing is. The Nigerian media will now add maggi by clapping for them using terms that imply gluttony, waste, and hedonism

"Rivers project GULPS N60 Billion"
"MASSIVE road project to GULP 'at least' N170 Billion"
"N90 Estimated for Borehole MEGA project"

All of these costs announced to communicate achievement. Worst than corruption, this mentality comes off as very backwards and has led to a situation where you can inflate projects well beyond the reasonable cost, underpay contractors and steal the remainder.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Politicians Always Announce The Cost Of Projects? by BKayy: 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2021
They are simply telling the masses how much they stole

(1) (Reply)

Has The Remnant Pdp Degenerated From Being An Opposition Party To Wailers? / #nigeriaAt61: Independence Day Ceremony, 1st October,1960. (throwback) / National Youth Conference: Over 6,000 Youth Register To Participate virtually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.