Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future (4035 Views)

SENATE PRESIDENCY PDP Positions Mark, Ekweremadu, Akpabio / Akpabio Commissions Four Points By Sheraton Ikot Ekpene / Fast Tracking Nigeria’s Electricity Needs For Industrialisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 3:50am On May 27, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/27/national-27-05-2011-011.html

Akpabio: Fast-tracking Akwa Ibom’s  future
By Uduak Edward
Friday, May 27, 2011

More Stories on This Section

A few weeks leading to the just concluded governorship election, Governor Godswill  Akpabio was summoned before a tough court by his kids.  “Daddy”, the last girl was the prosecuting counsel. “Is it true you are seeking a second term?” Shocked by the direct question, the ever articulate leader momentarily lost his oratory. Eventually, he said, “yes!”. “But I put it to you that you have built the airport; the e-library; first-in-Africa drainage system”, the little girl continued.

“You have instituted free-and-compulsory education; pregnant women, children and the elderly receive free medicare. Mr Governor, you have built 205 roads; three flyovers; Ibom Power Plant; brand new Government House; completed Le’meridien Hotel; built Banquet Hall; Ibom Tropicana and 1,400 communities are now linked to national grid. Currently, you have done over 3000 live-changing projects across the 31 local government areas. So, Daddy, if you go back, what else would you do?”

It wasn’t really the question but the thoughtfulness of the questioner. Coming from a little girl barely seven years old, it demanded a deeper introspection. For the governor, it must have been rewarding because his children acknowledged his industry. Despite attempts to demonise his sincere efforts at transforming the state, even the babies have internalized the truth. Yet, it must also have been a moment to firm up his programmes so that like he did in 2007, on reelection, he could hit the ground running.

Akpabio’s focus as a leader, even his opponents have admitted, has been on one unwavering course. No wonder he has been able to achieve so much despite despicable attempts to derail his vision. Indeed, Akpabio has done much in four years; but he still has much more to do. That realization, perhaps, informed his election-winning blueprint, which he enunciated throughout the campaign period.

According to Socrates, after the storm comes the rain. For Akwa Ibom, the campaign and election periods were much like a stormy weather. But now that the storm is over, according Akpabio, development and democracy dividends would pour like rain on the people. Those who have tasted his promise-keeping feat know that his words can be taken to any bank worldwide!

To start with, he has repeatedly talked about industrialization of all the local government areas as a key tool to job creation and empowerment. “One of the main problems of the Niger Delta is unemployment, we have a lot of graduates roaming the streets without jobs. We have to provide jobs for our children”, he said, in a recent interview. Those industries are expected to be private sector driven. And with their flourish would come stable security, peace and growth.

With the power infrastructure in place, which Akpabio intends to expand from 191 mega watts to 685 mega watts of electricity; even the hitherto moribund industries like Qua Steel, Battery Industry, etc are to be revamped! Gladly, the absence of necessary facilities like roads, which made access to the industries impossible are now a thing of the past. Already, the governor has attracted an International group from the United Arab Emirate with a one billion dollars investment to the state.  

One of Akpabio’s pet plans for optimum economic transformation of his state is the Deep Sea Port   at Ibaka; in partnership with the Federal Government. The Ibaka deep sea port has one of the best water draught in the country and it will compliment the port in Apapa, which is always congested. Combine that with the MRO facility at the airport, and the state shall be ever on the economic rise!

Similarly, with a Strategic Food Reserves in Abak , Akpabio’s blueprints include a robust plan to encourage farmers to produce excess. “We will buy food stuff and store them away to avoid glut and stabilize prices; then we will release them intermittently into the market. Where there’s need, some of these will be used as  raw materials in the new emerging industries”, he said. In fact, following shortly, some consumables are to be assembled and produced in the state.
In the words of President Goodluck Jonathan, Akpabio is one governor who doesn’t play politics with development. In fact, he derives pleasure in beautifying the landscape with futuristic but enduring and sustainable infrastructure.

In his second term, therefore, it is not envisaged that the governor intends to slack on his widely acclaimed massive infrastructural development, particularly the construction of urban and access roads. Of this, he said: “We are particularly interested in those roads that link local government areas. We have done a lot in urban roads and we will still do a lot to intervene in Federal roads.

My over riding vision in the construction of urban roads is to get to a point when the state capital will only be at least 30 minutes away from each local government area, this will arrest the current rural urban migration and decongest the federal capital”. Thus, even before his inauguration, construction on the 3rd ring road, expected to consist 12 lanes in Uyo, has started. “We will dualize from Ekom Iman, all the way to Etinan and Eket. Then we will dualize from Uyo all the way to Ikot Ekpene; and then we are going to attempt to dualize from the Airport all the way to Ibaka’, he added.  

On housing, Akpabio has started the construction of 2,000 units of houses; just after the completion of 31 security villages in each of the local government areas. Now, helmsmen in each Local government area - the Chairman, the deputy Chairman, the DPO,  and the SSS official  are to be accommodated in one location. Still, with careful planning and management of the lean resources, he also focuses on building an international stadium. “When you have an International Airport and a Deep Sea Port , you also have to think of leisure”, he said. Hence, the second phase of Ibom Tropicana is to be tackled to conclusion. When completed, tourism, which has started flourishing in the state since the commissioning of the six viewing centres at the Cineplex in Uyo,  is expected to reach its zenith.

Before Akpabio’s advent, many communities never witnessed electricity. Today, over 1,400 villages have been linked to national grid and the benefits are unquantifiable. “In the next one year we are looking at electrifying all the villages in Akwa Ibom. At the moment we only have 201 villages to complete. I want to believe that within one year, Akwa ibom will be the first state in Nigeria to have 100% electricity coverage. That is why a lot people call it uncommon transformation!”. True, until now, nobody believed that it was possible to move a state from 39% to 85% of electricity coverage.

Political analysts have opined that Akpabio achieved so much because he is never  afraid of opposition. “I cannot be afraid,  as long as I focus on why I came; which was to change the life of the people”, he said. Yet, with the level of negative criticisms from propagandists, some other persons would have been discouraged. For instance,  you build a dualized road and put in a flyover and all they are interested in is the cost. Akpabio is aware that they are not interested in development; it doesn’t bother them that these things were absent in our infrastructure. All they want to do is criticize. So, not wanting to be distracted, he doesn’t  waste time listening to them. “I want to focus on what I came to do, knowing that there is no permanent Governor. I want to be able to hit my chest at the end of the day and say I did my best with the available resources”, he said.

Contrary to expectation, he believes opposition is important in a democracy. “The Bible tells us woe to that leader that does not have opposition. Opposition strengthens and deepens democracy, it also helps to test the will of the people and at the end of the elections the people are able to distinguish between propaganda and achievement”.
Akpabio’s  reelection and margin of victory, therefore, many believe, was a payback from a grateful people - the direct beneficiaries of the people-focused leadership. It was just their way of ensuring the continuation of the current massive infrastructural development in the State. When they supported him in 2007 with about 98% votes, he kept the promise that their lives can never be the same again.

And, because Akpabio is receptive to ideas, even from the opposition elements, God grants him wisdom in the management of human and material resources. One other attribute that helps Akpabio in fast-tracking the state to the future, is his humility even in victory.  Moreover, he’s accommodating and welcomes partnership in development. “If anybody has good ideas then this is the time for the person to come and join the government and work with us. I have extended a hand of friendship”, he submitted.

*Miss Edward, a journalist, teacher and public affairs commentator lives in Lagos .
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 3:54am On May 27, 2011
This is one great achiever of a governor.I am not too suprise at this article because I saw it myself when I was in the country last year and my plan is to come with pix when I visit the country this year again since Nairalanders believe so much in pix.The only sin of Akpabio is making ACN look ordinary. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by ektbear: 4:38am On May 27, 2011
Interesting. I'd definitely love to see some pictures posted, when you get on the ground
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by KnowAll(m): 5:57am On May 27, 2011
To link all LG's within 30 minutes of d capital is commendable, that would stem rural - urban migration. Dualising roads other than d capital is also a welcome development so is his one industry per LG. I hope over-hype Fashola can borrow a leaf from this gentleman about rural development. I caught a glimpse of Epe Town on NTA News yesterday & to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Epe, Ikorodu & Badagry should be used as a springboard to stall d over-population in Lagos.

Putting infrastructures in these towns and building housing units would justify d demolishing of eye-sores like Makoko which have become a butt of jokes and a photo-journalist delight of portraying " a Nigerian street scene".

Kudos to Apkabio, I criticised him in d past but it seems d guy is focus. I just hope he would be tolerant of opposition. He strikes me as someone who cannot fathom why anyone in d state would dear oppose his development stride, what else does he have to do to appease d opposition. What he should not forget is democracy has a way of throwing up " suprises " Winston Churchill d British war time Prime Minister lost d election in 1946 after winning d war for Britain.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by hercules07: 6:02am On May 27, 2011
Where do people get this nonsense about Akpabio being one development crazy governor, most of the stuff he is credited with were done by his predecessor who just got greedy and tried to put his son in law as the governor, the roads Akpabio built are of no use as those are not the pressing needs of the people, please tell me of what use is a road that passes close by a village where no activity occurs, you can not compare an Akpabio to Fashola lai lai, the guy is a gangster who happens to "rule" a state that is very rich, heck, you can not compare Akpabio to even Donald Duke.
I know Knowall hates Fashola, but, if you are going to bring up someone that Fashola should learn from, please do not bring up Akpabio.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 6:24am On May 27, 2011
hercules07:

Where do people get this nonsense about Akpabio being one development crazy governor, most of the stuff he is credited with were done by his predecessor who just got greedy and tried to put his son in law as the governor, the roads Akpabio built are of no use as those are not the pressing needs of the people, please tell me of what use is a road that passes close by a village where no activity occurs, you can not compare an Akpabio to Fashola lai lai, the guy is a gangster who happens to "rule" a state that is very rich, heck, you can not compare Akpabio to even Donald Duke.
I know Knowall hates Fashola, but, if you are going to bring up someone that Fashola should learn from, please do not bring up Akpabio.

My Brother I am from the state and what is stated by the article is an understatement.I travel home to Akwa-Ibom whenever I come to the country and I want you to know Akpabio has indeed perform beyond Fashola.I say this because I stay in Lagos,Akwa-Ibom and Abuja each time I come visiting Naija.The only thing his critics would come up with is perharps the cost of such infrastructural development and that Akwa-Ibom receive so much from the Government which is not different from what is going on in Lagos.The difference is that while Akpabio try to develop the whole local government areas(rural areas inclusive) Fashola basically concentrates on the elites and does what his Godfather(Tinubu) dictates.

1 Like

Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 6:26am On May 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Interesting. I'd definitely love to see some pictures posted, when you get on the ground

Will be on ground by his grace on the 30th of August.I will makesure I do a detail coverage in terms of Pictures and videos!!!
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 6:31am On May 27, 2011
This is Bull Shi.t story

You need to first ask yourself "Who is Uduak Edward?" the writer?

This is a con job write up by Akpabio himself.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by hercules07: 6:32am On May 27, 2011
You might be from the state but I have probably been in the state more than you, I have travelled round Akwa Ibom from IK to Uyo, to Eket, I stayed in Ewet Housing Estate few months ago, was at the hotel built by Attah also, bros forget Akapbio, he can not dream of standing near where Fashola stands, Attah would have gone down in glory if not for his avarice, nobody was ready to support Akpabio in 2007 if not for Attah's stubborness.
The airport project was started by Attah and was intended to be a place where planes are repaired, the University of tech initiative by Attah was discontinued by Akpabio due to jealousy, abeg, forget Akpabio jare, tarring some roads without improving the economic lives of people is nothing,  when you go to Uyo and look at the circumstances of the people, you will see that they have not felt any dividends from Akpabio's administration.
A lot of the projects undertaken by Lagos state government is concentrated on the mainland, have you been to Ogunlana drive recently?
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 6:44am On May 27, 2011
hercules07:

You might be from the state but I have probably been in the state more than you, I have travelled round Akwa Ibom from IK to Uyo, to Eket, I stayed in Ewet Housing Estate few months ago, was at the hotel built by Attah also, bros forget Akapbio, he can not dream of standing near where Fashola stands, Attah would have gone down in glory if not for his avarice, nobody was ready to support Akpabio in 2007 if not for Attah's stubborness.
The airport project was started by Attah and was intended to be a place where planes are repaired, the University of tech initiative by Attah was discontinued by Akpabio due to jealousy, abeg, forget Akpabio jare, tarring some roads without improving the economic lives of people is nothing,  when you go to Uyo and look at the circumstances of the people, you will see that they have not felt any dividends from Akpabio's administration.
A lot of the projects undertaken by Lagos state government is concentrated on the mainland, have you been to Ogunlana drive recently?

Good example,

Ibom Science Park contractor seeks amicable resolution

For him, "SBT Juul carried out the Project diligently but experienced difficulty due to repeated failures on the part of the State to make payments as and when due. Specifically, in May 2007, after the change in the political administration of the State. The attitude of the State was such that it ceased to show commitment towards the Project and stopped making payments entirely"

"Upon the assumption of office in 2007, the new administration of Gov. Godswill Akpabio, at various times between 2007 and 2009, appointed in-house Consultants and different audit firms, to review the Project and SBT Juul co-operated with these Consultants and audit firms despite the reservations it had about the independence of some of these entities. Juul however provided them with all documentation in its possession relating to the Project and never received any report in respect of the exercise".

According to Ekwochi, the dispute and abandonment of the project due to lack of commitment by the State, had caused extensive damage, leaving both the building and IT components of the project in danger of collapsing. He however believed that it can also be salvaged if an urgent step was taken to redress the situation. This is even as he confirmed that the contractor was also willing to amicably resolve the differences relating to the execution of the Project with the state despite what it considers the State's reluctance towards any attempt at settlement.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/apr/20/309.html

Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 6:45am On May 27, 2011
With the power infrastructure in place, which Akpabio intends to expand from 191 mega watts to 685 mega watts of electricity; even the hitherto moribund industries like Qua Steel, Battery Industry, etc are to be revamped! Gladly, the absence of necessary facilities like roads, which made access to the

It is obvious here that Akwa-Ibom has already surpass the 114 mega watts the Lagos state governor is targeting in 2 years time and instead aiming for 685 mega watss.This does not mean Fashola my guy is not performing.Fashola is indeed  one of the performing governors in Nigeria today,but of course not the best as we are being made to believe by some who have not visited other state.Akpabio politically may be called all sort of names,and I am sure that is the only way to deal with somebody like Akpan Udoehedehen(the ACN) candidates in the last election who is a tout himself.But nobody who knows Akwa-Ibom some 4 years back would disagree with his performance in office.His strenght is also in the fact that he never stopped any of the project started by Obong Victor Attah,instead while starting a new one,he ensures the completion of his Predecessor's
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by KnowAll(m): 6:52am On May 27, 2011
Epe Town still have narrow street just like any Yoruba Town of d 60's. To think Lagos State is 45 years old & her provincial towns still look like when they were governed by Western State, it is shame to all who have being at d helms of affairs of the  state most especially the cartel of " Tinubu/ Fashola" I thought this guys were suppose to be enlightened.

Same cannot be said of Akwa Ibom state whether it is Attah or Akapbio d state has definately moved on leaps & bounds from a backward backwater to one of d front runner states. If this stride continues unabated especially d promise of 24 hours electricity, I as a Yoruba man would invest there, I would put my money where my mouth is, If Nigerians can open Night Clubs & eatries in London, Canada, dublin & SA why not Ak Ibom State if all d ingredients of growth have been sorted out.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 6:53am On May 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is Bull Shi.t story

You need to first ask yourself "Who is Uduak Edward?" the writer?

This is a con job write up by Akpabio himself.

Eko-Ile we know charity begins at home.let us try to find out who all the PR of the Fashola governement are and also investigate those who are over-hyping his performance,then can we do the same with this writer.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 6:58am On May 27, 2011
Ozin:

With the power infrastructure in place, which Akpabio intends to expand from 191 mega watts to 685 mega watts of electricity; even the hitherto moribund industries like Qua Steel, Battery Industry, etc are to be revamped! Gladly, the absence of necessary facilities like roads, which made access to the

It is obvious here that Akwa-Ibom has already surpass the 114 mega watts the Lagos state governor is targeting in 2 years time and instead aiming for 685 mega watss.This does not mean Fashola my guy is not performing.Fashola is indeed  one of the performing governors in Nigeria today,but of course not the best as we are being made to believe by some who have not visited other state.Akpabio politically may be called all sort of names,and I am sure that is the only way to deal with somebody like Akpan Udoehedehen(the ACN) candidates in the last election who is a tout himself.But nobody who knows Akwa-Ibom some 4 years back would disagree with his performance in office.His strenght is also in the fact that he never stopped any of the project started by Obong Victor Attah,instead while starting a new one,he ensures the completion of his Predecessor's

Slow your roll, Lagos state built the first Private Power Plant (270MW which we still have) plant in Nigeria when akpabio was still a boys scout.

Educate yourself a little abeg,
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 6:59am On May 27, 2011
KnowAll:

Epe Town still have narrow street just like any Yoruba Town of d 60's. To think Lagos State is 45 years old & her provincial towns still look like when they were governed by Western State, it is shame to all who have being at d helms of affairs of the  state most especially the cartel of " Tinubu/ Fashola" I thought this guys were suppose to be enlightened.

Same cannot be said of Akwa Ibom state whether it is Attah or Akapbio d state has definately moved on leaps & bounds from a backward backwater to one of d front runner states. If this stride continues unabated especially d promise of 24 hours electricity, I as a Yoruba man would invest there, I would put my money where my mouth is, If Nigerians can open Night Clubs & eatries in London, Canada, dublin & SA why not Ak Ibom State if all d ingredients of growth have been sorted out.

My brother as if you know my mission there this August,I plan to set -up a night club from this state I never thought of having any investment even though I am from there.And you are very correct,I dont care who the governor is,whether Obong Victor Attah,Akpabio or the next in 2015,the most important thing is for every Governor who comes in to leave the state better than they met it
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:00am On May 27, 2011
Ozin:

Eko-Ile we know charity begins at home.let us try to find out who all the PR of the Fashola governement are and also investigate those who are over-hyping his performance,then can we do the same with this writer.

Of what benefit is your PR if you don't have anything to show for it or to back it up with? At least even a blind man can see what Fashola is doing.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 7:01am On May 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Slow your roll, Lagos state built the first Private Power Plant (270MW which we still have) plant in Nigeria when akpabio was still a boys scout.

Educate yourself a little abeg,

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/27/national-27-05-2011-003.html

Fashola to raise Lagos Island Power Plant from 10 to 114 megawatts
•Says IPP’ll reduce cost of governance
By OLUWOLE FAROTIMI
Friday, May 27, 2011

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has said that he will raise the power output of the Lagos Island Power plant from 10 to 114 megawatts in the next two years.
Fashola who made the disclosure on Wednesday while flagging off the 10 megawatts power station in Lagos said, when fully installed, it would supply power to all businesses located on the island and residential premises. The Governor said the process would eliminate generators and noise from the island unlike the 10 megawatts which was limited to government installations and 20 streets.
The Governor explained that the Independent Power Project being built in the state would not only bring succour to the people, it would reduce the cost of governance and government expenditure.

He revealed that the state had completed power audit for Shomolu which he described as the printing capital of Nigeria and currently shopping for a 4000 square metres space to establish the Shomolu Power Station that would supply all the power needs of the printing presses and residents.
Fashola hinted that the state is currently carrying out a power audit of Matori Industrial Estate to determine the power need of businesses in the area.
Speaking on the capacity of the power station, the Governor said commissioning it would automatically put out of use in the minimum, 30 diesel generating sets and in the process eliminate noise and carbon monoxide.
He said the facility built to the highest thermal operating plant standard would provide 24-hour power supply to government facilities within the Island and 20 streets.

“The project which includes an 18 kilometre dedicated underground distribution network will supply power to the General Hospital, the High Court, High Court Annex TBS, JIC Taylor Court House, Igbosere, Island Maternity Hospital and State House Marina. The power plant will also provide electricity for street lights on Broad Street, Tinubu Square, Bamgbose Street, Igbosere Road, Lawson Street, Catholic Mission Street, Ganiyu Smith Street, Glover Street, Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Street, Brook Street, Joseph Street, Campos Street, Campbell Street, Ajele Street, Odunlami and Kakawa Street,” he said.

He said Lagos State require an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 megawatts of power, unlike the 1000 megawatts allocated to it by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria., He tasked members of the committee set up by the Federal Government on Power Reform to find the courage to do the needful that would take Nigeria out of her current power crisis.
Earlier Group Managing Director of First Bank, Mr. Bisi Onosanya said that lack of dependable power has made the task of making profit a Herculean task for banks and manufacturing firms in the country ,urging the Lagos State governor to roll out plans for the second phase which will raise output to 114 megawatts.

While tracing the origin of the project, Group Managing Director, Fidelity Bank, Mr. Reginald Ikejiahi thanked God that what started like a gist has become a reality.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 7:03am On May 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Of what benefit is your PR if you don't have anything to show for it or to back it up with? At least even a blind man can see what Fashola is doing.

Will be on ground by his grace on the 30th of August.I will makesure I do a detail coverage in terms of Pictures and videos!!!
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by joecrack(m): 7:03am On May 27, 2011
Anybody saying godswill has done nothing in akwa ibom state is really being economical with the truth,i'm a cross'varian,2006 when i was in akwa ibom,the place was a sham,uyo was a glorified town,interestingly when the whole media hype started,i quite did not want to believe it,ofcourse we know nigerian politicians,but a friend of mine from akwa ibom gracefully invited me on a 3days trip there and believe you me i was very much impressed with akpabio,the roads,schools,beautification of uyo,electricity,i mean lets give kudos.
@hercules
i really dont see the basis for comparison btw lag and akwa ibom,they are two states far apart and on economic,population and what have you indexes,the bottomline is a man is doing his best in transforming a rural state and i think he must be commended,he's got more 4years and believe me akwaibomites would be better for it.
In my view akpabio has done far much in 4 yrs compared to attah's 8years.obviously,they fell out cuz godswill did not want to play ball with state funds,attah is known to be a very notorious looter
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:04am On May 27, 2011
Ozin:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/27/national-27-05-2011-003.html

Fashola to raise Lagos Island Power Plant from 10 to 114 megawatts
•Says IPP’ll reduce cost of governance
By OLUWOLE FAROTIMI
Friday, May 27, 2011

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has said that he will raise the power output of the Lagos Island Power plant from 10 to 114 megawatts in the next two years.
Fashola who made the disclosure on Wednesday while flagging off the 10 megawatts power station in Lagos said, when fully installed, it would supply power to all businesses located on the island and residential premises. The Governor said the process would eliminate generators and noise from the island unlike the 10 megawatts which was limited to government installations and 20 streets.
The Governor explained that the Independent Power Project being built in the state would not only bring succour to the people, it would reduce the cost of governance and government expenditure.

He revealed that the state had completed power audit for Shomolu which he described as the printing capital of Nigeria and currently shopping for a 4000 square metres space to establish the Shomolu Power Station that would supply all the power needs of the printing presses and residents.
Fashola hinted that the state is currently carrying out a power audit of Matori Industrial Estate to determine the power need of businesses in the area.
Speaking on the capacity of the power station, the Governor said commissioning it would automatically put out of use in the minimum, 30 diesel generating sets and in the process eliminate noise and carbon monoxide.
He said the facility built to the highest thermal operating plant standard would provide 24-hour power supply to government facilities within the Island and 20 streets.

“The project which includes an 18 kilometre dedicated underground distribution network will supply power to the General Hospital, the High Court, High Court Annex TBS, JIC Taylor Court House, Igbosere, Island Maternity Hospital and State House Marina. The power plant will also provide electricity for street lights on Broad Street, Tinubu Square, Bamgbose Street, Igbosere Road, Lawson Street, Catholic Mission Street, Ganiyu Smith Street, Glover Street, Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Street, Brook Street, Joseph Street, Campos Street, Campbell Street, Ajele Street, Odunlami and Kakawa Street,” he said.

He said Lagos State require an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 megawatts of power, unlike the 1000 megawatts allocated to it by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria., He tasked members of the committee set up by the Federal Government on Power Reform to find the courage to do the needful that would take Nigeria out of her current power crisis.
Earlier Group Managing Director of First Bank, Mr. Bisi Onosanya said that lack of dependable power has made the task of making profit a Herculean task for banks and manufacturing firms in the country ,urging the Lagos State governor to roll out plans for the second phase which will raise output to 114 megawatts.

While tracing the origin of the project, Group Managing Director, Fidelity Bank, Mr. Reginald Ikejiahi thanked God that what started like a gist has become a reality.

What's your point here?

Akwa built 191 MW

Lagos state built 270MW + 12 + 10 = 290MW

Do the math and and quit posting that meaningless stuff
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 7:06am On May 27, 2011
joecrack:

Anybody saying godswill has done nothing in akwa ibom state is really being economical with the truth,i'm a cross'varian,2006 when i was in akwa ibom,the place was a sham,uyo was a glorified town,interestingly when the whole media hype started,i quite did not want to believe it,ofcourse we know nigerian politicians,but a friend of mine from akwa ibom gracefully invited me on a 3days trip there and believe you me i was very much impressed with akpabio,the roads,schools,beautification of uyo,electricity,i mean lets give kudos.
@hercules
i really dont see the basis for comparison btw lag and akwa ibom,they are two states far apart and on economic,population and what have you indexes,the bottomline is a man is doing his best in transforming a rural state and i think he must be commended,he's got more 4years and believe me akwaibomites would be better for it.
In my view akpabio has done far much in 4 yrs compared to attah's 8years.obviously,they fell out cuz godswill did not want to play ball with state funds,attah is known to be a very notorious looter

Thank you for this neutral assessment!
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:07am On May 27, 2011
Ozin:

Don't waste your time, it's all here and it ain't sh.it.

http://www.akwaibomnewsonline.com/photos/

Comparing this village headmaster development with Fashola is a sin
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by ektbear: 7:08am On May 27, 2011
The more performing governors in Nigeria, the better.

But definitely, we need to see some pictures
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:10am On May 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

The more performing governors in Nigeria, the better.

But definitely, we need to see some pictures

Click on the link in the post above yours.

It's the same village development.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 7:14am On May 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Don't waste your time, it's all here and it ain't sh.it.

http://www.akwaibomnewsonline.com/photos/

Comparing this village headmaster development with Fashola is a sin

I lived in lagos for 23 years before I left the country,I am from Akwa-Ibom and ensure I visit my home state yearly.Can you say the same? Have you been to akwa-Ibom or live there to know the difference, instead of believing in an online information?You can call him a boy scout, Headmaster or whatever comes to your mind while typing,that does not bother me.My concern is Akwa-Ibom where I am from,and I am very please with the infrastructural,economic,social and human development going on at the moment
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:17am On May 27, 2011
Now, let us examine this Uduak Edward character. According to all the write ups that I'm going to post, miss Edward, a journalist, teacher and public affairs commentator in Lagos .

#1. By Uduak Edward

IBOM POWER: VISIONS AND GAINS OF A DREAM PROJECT
Written by Prince General Jan 26, 2011

Ibom power: Visions and gains of a dream project
By Uduak Edward
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One of the mega projects that President Goodluck Jonathan witnessed during his visit to Akwa Ibom State, late last year was the Ibom Power Plant. It is located at Ikot Abasi, one of the early European settlements in the Niger Delta protectorates. Today, the switch-on of power there  makes Akwa Ibom one of the model states with a successful independent power project in Nigeria.

Initiated by the immediate past administration, it took Governor Godswill Akpabio’s strong will to bring it from 65 per cent level to completion. The end product is the emerging steady power supply to Akwa Ibom people, the south South states and Nigeria in general.

In the first phase, the project provides 190 mega watts to the nation. In The second phase would develops 550 mega watts capacity of electricity. Interstingly, Akwa Ibom needs only  about 70 mega watts for its socio-economic growth. Hence, the project is expected to contribute significantly to national development.

Click on the link to read the rest of the con job

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/blog/?p=76213
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by chamber2(m): 7:17am On May 27, 2011
I need pictures
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Nobody: 7:19am On May 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

Click on the link in the post above yours.

It's the same village development.

Village development because you forget Lagos state was actually the Federal capital and was built by the fedral Government.What Fashola is doing is the same village development by the road construction which is not different from what Chime is doing in Enugu,Amaechi doing in Rivers etc
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by KnowAll(m): 7:19am On May 27, 2011
It would be foolhardy to compare a former national capital city with Akwa Ibom state but with d little d chap is doing in Ak, sooner rather than later it would be an " investors delight" because d start up capital in such places would be 100 times better than Lagos and if all economic & infrastrutral challenges have been met one would make money without spending mind blowing & obsene amount. So d future is looking good for d state.

Abuja & Lagos is a no go area to most investors whose looking at starting something small.
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by Afanna1: 7:20am On May 27, 2011
Ozin:

I lived in lagos for 23 years before I left the country,I am from Akwa-Ibom and ensure I visit my home state yearly.Can you say the same? Have you been to akwa-Ibom or live there to know the difference, instead of believing in an online information?You can call him a boy scout, Headmaster or whatever comes to your mind while typing,that does not bother me.My concern is Akwa-Ibom where I am from,and I am very please with the infrastructural,economic,social and human development going on at the moment

No serious slum in Akwa ibom.cleaner than that slum called eko. http://www.aksgonline.com/about.aspx
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:21am On May 27, 2011
#2. By Uduak Edward

Governor Godswill Akpabio, Emerging Tiger

Lagos — Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State has recently been named by Thisday Newspaper as a new “Tiger”! Ordinarily, this would not attract any attention but two major factors make the categorization difficult to ignore.

First, Thisday’s annual award has now become a yardstick for measuring national growth, personal distinctions, as well as quality private and public service delivery. So, in a country, where every leader’s best is like a drop of water in an ocean of negatives amassed by past managers of public offices, Akpabio’s recognition could offer some insight into the future of Nigeria.

A “tiger” is said to be the largest member of the cat family. It takes things by force and eats up other animals. Figuratively, a human tiger is somebody brave, or forceful. Indeed, Akpabio, a peaceful man by nature, may abhor the violence and forceful character of a tiger, but his approach to development qualifies him as one. He has been quoted often as saying that he approaches development with anger. Thus, even those who shy away from development have it ‘forced’ on them.

Soon, Nigeria would be 50 years after political independence from the colonial masters. But, just like the Thisday editors noted, many Nigerians see those years as enmeshed in a potpourri of corruption, ineptitude, epileptic power supply and parlous state of infrastructure. Yet, after “a painstaking debate” and an exhaustive sifting, the organisers of the 15th Annual Thisday Awards 2010, picked Akpabio as one of the leading lights among the 36 governors. In all, 50 prominent Nigerians were noted for their “landmark achievements” to the growth of Nigeria, so far!  .  .  .”

- Uduak Edward/Daily Champio

http://calabarsite.com/2010/01/25/governor-godswill-akpabio-emerging-tiger/
Re: Akpabio:fast-tracking Akwa Ibom's Future by EkoIle1: 7:23am On May 27, 2011
#3. By Uduak Edward

Education: Akpabio to the rescue By Uduak Edward

For Akpabio, while pessimists in government see impossibilities, he is always seeing opportunities to change the lives of the people.  Hence, he emergedin 2007 to challenge tradition and “show our people that what we were born to see is not what we were born to be”!  The Akwa Ibom style of free and compulsory education remains exemplary. Subventions are even paid to head of schools – 300 per student, per term ( secondary); and 100 per pupil, per term ( primary). In anticipation of the influx of children into the schools, the government has built over 500 classroom blocks and renovated 1500 others. In that sector, public primary schools are beginning to look like private schools and the lines between both are becoming blurred.

http://www.pointblanknews.com/Articles/artopn3260.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Out Of Curiosity: When Did Igbo Migration Begin? / The Best And Worst Places To Be Born In The World In 2013. / Biafraudexposed Of Nairaland Releases IPOD yoot film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.