Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,767 members, 7,851,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:39 AM

Naija Woman~way Of Life - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Naija Woman~way Of Life (1061 Views)

Anything Wrong With This Way Of Life / Dated White Women All My Life, Will I Be Able To Go Home And Marry A Naija Woman / Naija Woman: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Woman~way Of Life by iyawo1005(f): 2:24am On Jul 23, 2007
Hello Ladies,

I am a white girl who is dating a nigerian. I have met his family and am going to naija in November but his mum told me to try and get to know the nigerian way of life. So ladies I am asking your help on this.  smiley
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by myssfyne(f): 5:24am On Jul 23, 2007
nigerians are humble,hardworking,respectful and every good thing you can think of,so to round it up,just be good.
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 23, 2007
As a Nigerian woman I can tell you that once you have his mothers approval, you are good to go. You have to be resourceful and hardworking.
1. Try to wake up early and do some sanitation
2. You may be required to cook a Nigerian meal for the whole family
3. You may need to dress a bit more conservative, I.e no belly open tops and Super short skirts and easy on the make up.
4. Dont try to show them you know to much or you are better than they are, just try to relax and be nice and humble to them.
It could be frightening even for a Nigerian girl to meet her potential mother in-law but just try to be nice and humble, it could help
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by Bolarge(m): 10:56am On Jul 23, 2007
In addition to what aisha2 just said, realise that there may be a few rough edges in associating with
your in-laws. Interracial marriages though getting commoner now are still an issue in a lot of circles n'
a few of your in-laws may still belong to the not-so-approving crew. As has been said your major ally has to be your mother-in-law, once she's on your side; u got no probs girl. Did I forget to say u really need to be humble, respectful and learn to prepare a few sumptuous Nigerian meals? That way they'd prolly love u more than they'd love their
own and I say this with a whole lot of conviction.
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by iyawo1005(f): 7:56pm On Feb 25, 2008
Hi All

I just wanted to give an update on this post.

I have since learned how to cook some nigerian dishes and get along very well with my boysfriends mum. We gist and shop together when she is here. I am looking forward to going to Naija to visit and see how I like it there. Thanks for all of your input on this post. grin
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by adeboo(f): 9:52pm On Feb 25, 2008
You NEVER refer to ur mother in law by her first name call her mama or mummy.

Make sure u greet her in the mornings on ur knees - cause thats how we do it.

When she is doing any kinda house work etc - offer to do it.

Its gonna be real hot but try as much as possible not to expose ur skin by wearing skimpy clothes (save that for the bedroom).

Be respectful - make sure u try and cook for ur husband, clear and wash his plates etc.

Its gonna be hard cause u may think its slave labour but girl bear with it - its only till after the trip sha.
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by kellyjoe3(m): 11:24am On Feb 26, 2008
i love naija gorls smiley
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by Lolabbey: 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2008
good advice for u dere poster,

keep 2 them and u are good wth ur guy and his pple
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by choco4life(m): 7:19pm On Feb 26, 2008
@post
How i am sure u r not Nigerian
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by kalmebad(f): 1:27pm On Feb 27, 2008
A good mother in-law should also put culture/and orientation background differences into cogniscance and thus should not expect that the lady blend automatically,things tks time to fall into place, to much to be concern with is d love/understanding dat exist between son/daughter in-law.

All the same girl,be nice,accommodating and loving to all, be urself and be real
Re: Naija Woman~way Of Life by hollandis(f): 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2008
have you started pounding yam?just kidding o
grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Is He Not Interested Or What? / Forgiveness In Marriage: 5 Biblical Aspects You Should Know / Friendship In Marriage!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.