Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,183 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army (62801 Views)

Nigerian Army Begins 2018 Recruitment Of 77 Regular Recruits: How To Apply / I Want To Join The Nigerian Army ,but I have questions / All You Need To Know Before Joining The Nigerian Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by DMCY: 11:16am On Sep 26, 2021
jelel6:
I wonder why you were so afraid?

Begging, trowing yourself on the floor without being charged is pathetic. At least, wait till your accuser is being unreasonable before you start trading whatever is left of your dignity.

I can only imagine what positives, if any, your interviewers can see in your handling of the situation.
Lol, waiting to be charged by the soldier?
I went to a school close to the barrack, the op should be familiar with st.Gabriel sec school close by back then. The day we were told to sweep the helicopter Abhi na airplane ground Ni, I almost meet my ancestors that day cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by IbileIfe: 11:20am On Sep 26, 2021
Lindner:
Long story!!

In an interview, I was asked to narrate a really tensed sitiation and how I navigated it.

I remembered my NYSC days, I lived inside Letmauck Cantonement, Mokola Barracks, Ibadan. Year was 2008.

The wife of an Army Officer( a Major) hired me to tutor their three young kids after school. Unknown to me, it was the woman that needed tutoring on how to read English(she couldn't read nor write). She spoke only pidgin.

We agreed the fees (weekly), and I started. She would later open up to me that she needed tutoring as well. For a relatively long time, I didnt meet the Major himself. I would have left before he returned from work. I was a teacher at St Luis Grammar school just behind the barracks.

Long story short, I started teaching the woman too after she increased my weekly fee. But I noticed the woman would rather gist with me than learn. Being a student of emotional intelligence myself, I reckoned she needed someone to gist with in that ghostly environment like the Officer's Quaters. A full time house wife and in that environment. The other end of the barrack where soldiers ans corpers live was more fun and populated . As long as I was paid, we would gist all afternoon. We soon became friends. I even stopped teaching the kids. They were super sharp, intelligent, restless and troublesome. But every Friday, she never missed my payment.

One faithful Friday afternoon, the Major came home early, that was the first time I ever saw his face. I rightly assumed all the money I was being handsomely paid came from him since the wife was a full house wife.

I stood up to greet him but I couldn't tell if he was angry, sad or just being his military self. He didn't bother to respond, he just went upstairs. His wife followed him immediately.

After about 15 minutes, he came back to join me. He asked how much I was being paid, I told him. He asked if his wife mentioned why she needed to learn how to read, I told him I assumed it was for self improvement. Meanwhile, I had been collecting money weekly for several weeks and this woman could not read jack. We would rather chat, gist and laugh.

The Major went to the TV area and gave me a card, it was their wedding invitation card in 2 weeks time. He mentioned that they never got married before the kids. In short, at the wedding, the woman would be required to read a long vow or something like that. It was a Methodist or Anglican church along Bodija.

He said, given his status both in the church and in the army, he must not be embarrassed by his wife's inability to read. That was the whole reason for the lesson that we turned into chatting sessions. He said it was mandatory that I attended to witness the result of my tutoring. The whole conversion lasted for about 10 minutes and it sounded more like subtle threats and one man trying to dominate another man.

How did the woman not mention her wedding and the real reason she was learning how to read? How could I make her read in two weeks? Should we just memorize the whole text of the program? My mind started racing. I lived at the other end of the barracks, the Major knows where I worked as well. No way I could escape. I had collected a lot of money already and I was 100% certain he would be embarrassed on that day.

I did what I could in two weeks. Attending the wedding for me was like a cow going to the slaughter. My heart was pounding and was literally in my mouth. I knew the woman could not still read even after practicing the texts many times.

It was a beautiful military wedding. I sat at the back, then two guys came and said something like "O boy, oga say make we sit beside you". Which oga? They said "Major". I knew I was in deep shit. Prior to that time, a corper colleague had to be locked up in the guard room for dating a soldier's sister. Ordinary soldier. This was a Major about to be embarrassed in front of his friends, colleagues, juniors and church members. Of course, he wouldn't beat his wife, I figured I would carry all the blame and possibly return every penny I collected.

Sitting through the wedding was the most tensed period of my entire adult life. Gruelling 3 hours!. Second was waiting for my HIV test result. Of course, she fumbled, woefully at that. It was a disaster. That moment you want to hide under the seat. The officiating minster had to take charge of the situation to save face. I'm sure he wasn't aware.

As they where matching out of the church through the guards or what do they call them. Those guys that carry sticks and couples pass under them. I was seriously looking at the Major's face. His facial expression would inform me of my likely fate. His face was always expressionless but today, it was important to read those expressions so as to know my next line of action. Either to pick the next available bus back to my state and never return or something like that. But again, there's the problem of the soldiers beside me.

Conclusion.

The Major didn't have my time on that day, I guess he was occupied with the guests and all. I got lost in the crowd but never returned home directly. I slept at a colleagues room like 10 blocks away from ours. I could remember, ours was block 36 Engineering block. The soldiers sent to sit next to me also probably didn't know the reason and we all dispersed. My room mate and other corper colleagues that knew the background were waiting for the full gist of what happened. That night, I was waiting for that "gulf 3" visit. Gulf car was reigning at the time. They used gulf to pick you up to treat unofficial f**k ups.

The next day, I received a call from the Major's wife to come down to the Officer's Quarters. She didn't thank me for attending the wedding or for my tutoring or say anything that I could draw conclusions on about the mood of the situation. I was too paralysed to even congratulate her. Why would she be the one to call me given what happened at the wedding? I had heard all sorts of stories about what happens in the guard room, true or untrue, I never wanted to experience any of it. I put myself in the Major's shoes. No man should experience what he passed though in those few minutes at the altar. The Church became very quiet. Some people could not even look up.

Approaching the building, I saw the Major and one of the soldiers from yesterday and behold, the Gulf car!!.

I went straight down on my knees and then on my chest, flat on the floor in public view. My colleague had told me that was the only way I could lessen my punishment. But the Officer's Quaters was too quiet and lonely to gain any public pity and possibly help. The Major looked confused. I started apologizing and promised to even refund him. His kids (2 boys, 1 girl) started laughing.

The wife came out laughing as well, but in her hands was what I would later find out to be cake wrapped in those aluminium foils for me. The Major and the soldier just looked at me as if I was less of a man, rolling on the floor without even being accused of anything yet. Apparently, the Gulf car belonged to the soldier. The poor man was not even angry at me. I died multiple times throughout the night thinking about what evil was about to befall me. But all was just in my mind.

The wife would later tell me that she warned her husband before the Wedding not to waste his money on tutoring her. She felt she was hopeless at education.

Don't waste this true life romantic comedy.
The story is enough treatment for the film adaptation.
Simply title it, "The Major's Wife".
N3 million is enough to produce the movie.
I will help you with the casting and production design.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by joyousever(f): 11:22am On Sep 26, 2021
You write intriguingly well and your story was a great read throughout, as I never got bored reading through. The only incorrect/informal term you used here was "corpers'' or "corper friends" it should have been written in quotes. Corp members or corp friends/ colleagues is much better. Nice and apt right - up!!

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by jelel6: 11:28am On Sep 26, 2021
ArticleBeast:

Until you live in barracks

Yes, done that. For decade plus years even.

And that's exactly why I said he can wait until they're being unreasonable.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Missionaire: 11:33am On Sep 26, 2021
SarkinYarki:

I grew up in the barrack the OP mentioned and I can tell you he is lying ..Nobody will give major Duplex in Mokola Barracks ...Even when my dad moved to Duplex , it was to a duplex in Eleyele estate owned by govt and because of his role in the state security council at the time and that time my papa na full colonel ooo

I haven't lived in that barracks before. I replied you because you didn't restrict your assertions to Mokola barracks but instead generalized.
Some barracks are like that sha...
Tor, whether the story is true or false, it was a good read.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by victorVIC1(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2021
Nice one @ OP. I don't understand why people are quoting the OP's full post in their comments

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by alizma: 11:34am On Sep 26, 2021
Lindner:

This is absolutely no fiction. Thank God the interviewers didn't feel this way. They had my CV and saw where I served. I later went on to do my masters at the University of Ibadan. Anyway, I have no control over what you choose to believe. Just my little frightening experience.
Not everyone knows how to differentiate between true stories and fiction.
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by hahn(m): 11:36am On Sep 26, 2021
Lindner:

This is absolutely no fiction. Thank God the interviewers didn't feel this way. They had my CV and saw where I served. I later went on to do my masters at the University of Ibadan. Anyway, I have no control over what you choose to believe. Just my little frightening experience.

Beautiful read. grin

The most valuable lesson you should have learnt is this, "often to control a powerful person you need to find out who is controlling that powerful person and control them instead".

Obviously the soldier really loves his wife and since you got close to the wife there is no way she would allow anything bad happen to you.

You really had nothing to worry about grin

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Orlu15(m): 11:44am On Sep 26, 2021
Fiction or no fiction bros just finish the story!![font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by bravehost4u(m): 11:47am On Sep 26, 2021
I am sure I am not the only person waiting to hear of the seduction and an attempted attempt to...

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by henrimoto(m): 11:48am On Sep 26, 2021
22o62021:
You wrote this from your imaginations
... @lindner. You are a good descriptive writer. You make the readers feel as if it was a movie been watch. Bros! Abeg, start writing story books/novels. As i dey read your write up, i just dey laugh scatter here. ... You have similar writing style with "9ja singlegirl" . Keep it up. Welldone.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Iamagoodgirll: 11:50am On Sep 26, 2021
Wow this is interesting and funny

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by ugotaya: 11:56am On Sep 26, 2021
Port harcourt based Businessman would bury people he owed in a suckeraway pit behind his house. Police recovered 20 bodies. Thanks to Nigerian Police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rugWlLdYYao
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by southernbelle(f): 12:00pm On Sep 26, 2021
Thanks OP, this was so interesting. I started laughing when you said he asked commanded you to attend the wedding and then when the two soldiers informed you they were told to sit near you…from then on, I kept laughing till I hastily read to the end.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by lastchild: 12:05pm On Sep 26, 2021
engrfaruq:
Fiction
which area of this story made it look like a fiction?

is it that an army officer's wife can't be tutored?

or that a man of that caliber can't have kids before marriage?

or that they can't be any... Infact, I've come to realize that people who don't have life experiences thinks others too don't have

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Ramos16(m): 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2021
Lindner:
Long story!!

In an interview, I was asked to narrate a really tensed sitiation and how I navigated it.

I remembered my NYSC days, I lived inside Letmauck Cantonement, Mokola Barracks, Ibadan. Year was 2008.

The wife of an Army Officer( a Major) hired me to tutor their three young kids after school. Unknown to me, it was the woman that needed tutoring on how to read English(she couldn't read nor write). She spoke only pidgin.

We agreed the fees (weekly), and I started. She would later open up to me that she needed tutoring as well. For a relatively long time, I didnt meet the Major himself. I would have left before he returned from work. I was a teacher at St Luis Grammar school just behind the barracks.

Long story short, I started teaching the woman too after she increased my weekly fee. But I noticed the woman would rather gist with me than learn. Being a student of emotional intelligence myself, I reckoned she needed someone to gist with in that ghostly environment like the Officer's Quaters. A full time house wife and in that environment. The other end of the barrack where soldiers ans corpers live was more fun and populated . As long as I was paid, we would gist all afternoon. We soon became friends. I even stopped teaching the kids. They were super sharp, intelligent, restless and troublesome. But every Friday, she never missed my payment.

One faithful Friday afternoon, the Major came home early, that was the first time I ever saw his face. I rightly assumed all the money I was being handsomely paid came from him since the wife was a full house wife.

I stood up to greet him but I couldn't tell if he was angry, sad or just being his military self. He didn't bother to respond, he just went upstairs. His wife followed him immediately.

After about 15 minutes, he came back to join me. He asked how much I was being paid, I told him. He asked if his wife mentioned why she needed to learn how to read, I told him I assumed it was for self improvement. Meanwhile, I had been collecting money weekly for several weeks and this woman could not read jack. We would rather chat, gist and laugh.

The Major went to the TV area and gave me a card, it was their wedding invitation card in 2 weeks time. He mentioned that they never got married before the kids. In short, at the wedding, the woman would be required to read a long vow or something like that. It was a Methodist or Anglican church along Bodija.

He said, given his status both in the church and in the army, he must not be embarrassed by his wife's inability to read. That was the whole reason for the lesson that we turned into chatting sessions. He said it was mandatory that I attended to witness the result of my tutoring. The whole conversion lasted for about 10 minutes and it sounded more like subtle threats and one man trying to dominate another man.

How did the woman not mention her wedding and the real reason she was learning how to read? How could I make her read in two weeks? Should we just memorize the whole text of the program? My mind started racing. I lived at the other end of the barracks, the Major knows where I worked as well. No way I could escape. I had collected a lot of money already and I was 100% certain he would be embarrassed on that day.

I did what I could in two weeks. Attending the wedding for me was like a cow going to the slaughter. My heart was pounding and was literally in my mouth. I knew the woman could not still read even after practicing the texts many times.

It was a beautiful military wedding. I sat at the back, then two guys came and said something like "O boy, oga say make we sit beside you". Which oga? They said "Major". I knew I was in deep shit. Prior to that time, a corper colleague had to be locked up in the guard room for dating a soldier's sister. Ordinary soldier. This was a Major about to be embarrassed in front of his friends, colleagues, juniors and church members. Of course, he wouldn't beat his wife, I figured I would carry all the blame and possibly return every penny I collected.

Sitting through the wedding was the most tensed period of my entire adult life. Gruelling 3 hours!. Second was waiting for my HIV test result. Of course, she fumbled, woefully at that. It was a disaster. That moment you want to hide under the seat. The officiating minster had to take charge of the situation to save face. I'm sure he wasn't aware.

As they where matching out of the church through the guards or what do they call them. Those guys that carry sticks and couples pass under them. I was seriously looking at the Major's face. His facial expression would inform me of my likely fate. His face was always expressionless but today, it was important to read those expressions so as to know my next line of action. Either to pick the next available bus back to my state and never return or something like that. But again, there's the problem of the soldiers beside me.

Conclusion.

The Major didn't have my time on that day, I guess he was occupied with the guests and all. I got lost in the crowd but never returned home directly. I slept at a colleagues room like 10 blocks away from ours. I could remember, ours was block 36 Engineering block. The soldiers sent to sit next to me also probably didn't know the reason and we all dispersed. My room mate and other corper colleagues that knew the background were waiting for the full gist of what happened. That night, I was waiting for that "gulf 3" visit. Gulf car was reigning at the time. They used gulf to pick you up to treat unofficial f**k ups.

The next day, I received a call from the Major's wife to come down to the Officer's Quarters. She didn't thank me for attending the wedding or for my tutoring or say anything that I could draw conclusions on about the mood of the situation. I was too paralysed to even congratulate her. Why would she be the one to call me given what happened at the wedding? I had heard all sorts of stories about what happens in the guard room, true or untrue, I never wanted to experience any of it. I put myself in the Major's shoes. No man should experience what he passed though in those few minutes at the altar. The Church became very quiet. Some people could not even look up.

Approaching the building, I saw the Major and one of the soldiers from yesterday and behold, the Gulf car!!.

I went straight down on my knees and then on my chest, flat on the floor in public view. My colleague had told me that was the only way I could lessen my punishment. But the Officer's Quaters was too quiet and lonely to gain any public pity and possibly help. The Major looked confused. I started apologizing and promised to even refund him. His kids (2 boys, 1 girl) started laughing.

The wife came out laughing as well, but in her hands was what I would later find out to be cake wrapped in those aluminium foils for me. The Major and the soldier just looked at me as if I was less of a man, rolling on the floor without even being accused of anything yet. Apparently, the Gulf car belonged to the soldier. The poor man was not even angry at me. I died multiple times throughout the night thinking about what evil was about to befall me. But all was just in my mind.

The wife would later tell me that she warned her husband before the Wedding not to waste his money on tutoring her. She felt she was hopeless at education.

Good read
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Lindner: 12:10pm On Sep 26, 2021
hahn:

Beautiful read. grin

The most valuable lesson you should have learnt is this, "often to control a powerful person you need to find out who is controlling that powerful person and control them instead".

Obviously the soldier really loves his wife and since you got close to the wife there is no way she would allow anything bad happen to you.

You really had nothing to worry about grin

Absolutely.

It was just one beautiful family with lovely kids and a wife that loves and is proud of her husband. Although the Major acted like a saddist most times but you could tell she loves his wife.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by kponkedenge(m): 12:11pm On Sep 26, 2021
Nice write up.
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by McOluOmo: 12:14pm On Sep 26, 2021
It was a beautiful military wedding. I sat at the back, then two guys came and said something like "O boy, oga say make we sit beside you". Which oga? They said "Major" grin grin cheesy

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Ficeo(m): 12:21pm On Sep 26, 2021
Its so amazing. Lol! My senior brother is a captain so I know how the whole thing looks like. Well, one advice for you is '' Don't count your eggs before they are hatched. Happy Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Goldbw122(m): 12:21pm On Sep 26, 2021
You are a great writer, I hope you have a lot of story like this. I really enjoy it, you can post it on other website so that you will get paid. I know it is a true story. So keep it up. Thanks.
Lindner:
Long story!!

Conclusion.

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by EndBuhariNow(m): 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2021
Clap fot yourself.. story teller
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Frankwest77(m): 12:31pm On Sep 26, 2021
Wow, What a Story! Letmauck Cantonement happens to be my Barrack, I know the blocks and quarters so Much like the back of my palm! Sometimes, we worry so much about what might not even happen smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by jaxxy(m): 12:44pm On Sep 26, 2021
Very nice read.
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Coly2012(m): 12:46pm On Sep 26, 2021
This is the problem of our education system,we think everybody can teach and every graduate is a teacher.even all teachers are not qualified to teach every category of students/learner's...
The husband and you failed to do the first principal of adult Education, which is NEED ASSESSMENT, assessment of an adult learner's need is an half way of solving the learner's need. The womans need was not how to read so she can't go through that learning process which puts your little effort in frutility.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by emmanok24(m): 12:48pm On Sep 26, 2021
Manshot1:

Bros eee. Come and give me some barrack babe naa..

You wan buy job be dat ooo
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by emmanok24(m): 12:49pm On Sep 26, 2021
Lindner:

Many times, I would walk the whole length of that road just to clear my head. I loved the serenity and the shade provided by the many trees along that route made it enjoyable.

As for babes, barrack girls were too wild for me. Just too unrefined, the really good ones were borderline prostitutes. I hope to share some of the strangest experiences with barrack girls some of these days.

Your assessment is true! But for the chop and clean mouth guys, all these specs you’re mentioning are a waste of time.
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by ZooOga: 12:49pm On Sep 26, 2021
Bull-Bleeping-Sh*t !
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by seunlayi(m): 12:49pm On Sep 26, 2021
22o62021:
You wrote this from your imaginations

Wao! I actually heard about this about a decade ago when I went to the Div office. Although with some addition and some missing details. Obviously, it actually happened.
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by seunlayi(m): 12:51pm On Sep 26, 2021
Goldbw122:
You are a great writer, I hope you have a lot of story like this. I really enjoy it, you can post it on other website so that you will get paid. I know it is a true story. So keep it up. Thanks.
I actually heard about this
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Jesuschristus: 12:51pm On Sep 26, 2021
pek:
So you have to quote the whole stuff to make your comment?

Yes,how is that ur problem
Re: My Experience With The Wife Of A Major In The Nigerian Army by Michael662(m): 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2021
engrfaruq:
Fiction

The story is true..but around the ending..there was someone addition and minus..there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme P-YES: How To Register / This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism / Dpr Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.