Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,574 members, 7,816,412 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? (2113 Views)

List Of Africa's Most Visited Countries In 2023 / Have You Ever Been Denied Visa To A Country Before? Share Your Experience / Top Ten Places No Nigerian Has Ever Visited - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Idamond: 11:38am On Sep 26, 2021
A Facebook User Shared His bittered Experience The Day He Visited A Morgue

I'm a Rosarian. Normally we visit patients in different hospitals. So on this very day. We visit NAUTH Nnewi. Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi. I was the leader. We entered the children emergency ward and I led them in prayers. To be honest I started sweating profusely and my legs became weary I couldn't stand anymore. How I was able to finish the prayer was still a mystery to me. So after praying I had to regain my strength. My little colleagues were seriously looking at me wondering what could be wrong. After a while I dismissed them. It was a bit awkward because we normally visit at least three wards before dismissal. So on our exit route we had to pass through the mortuary. A voice suddenly whispered to me " Why not go see some dead bodies?

We had to cross the mortuary segment enroute our exit. So we made for the door. Upon arrival it happens that the door was locked and we went to the attendant office. He was really surprised when we made our intentions known to him. Meanwhile I dismissed the little kids and I was just with another grown brother.
The attendant took us into his office and after his shock he requested for some money from us which we told him that we don't have (But I have some money with me).
He also warned us never to disclose our visit to any of the hospital staffs lest he lands in big trouble.
We agreed.
He took us to the morgue and unlocked the door we entered.
The first door consists of dried corpses leaning on the wall.
With a heavy stench of stockfish. They were criminals shot by the SARS operatives during shootout and execution.

Students normally come every now and then to carry one the corpses for the endless practicals and experiments. That's according to the attendant

After the stockfish segment the attendant took us further into the morgue to a door marked "Main Morgue" Immediately I saw this door. My heart started beating faster. Fear gripped me. I started walking slowly as If I'm about fainting. I saw a lean dead man lying on a stretchet with wool in one of his eyes and a wrapper covering his genitals. I noticed a coffin awkwardly lying carelessly with APAMS printed on both sides. I looked away immediately. The man took a pair of gloves from a kit box.
He moved further away from us to a set of chillers.
This is where dead bodies are kept till they became like stockfish.
He pressed one button and a box came forth.

A huge dead man was inside the chiller. His color was the mixture of mud and potash.
The attendant tapped him twice on the shoulder. And returned the chiller.
He pressed another button and forth came a box containing a huge woman. Her head was laid on a pillow and her hands were crossed over her chest.
Her greasy hairs laid in crumbs around her thick shoulder.
There was a zig zag laceration marks beneath her chest down to her lower abdomen. I looked away immediately.
Maybe she died of surgical causes or so. Then came another box. The attendant seems to be enjoying himself.
He was speaking to us. But my mind was already at home. I was scared silly already.

The third chiller contained a youth. It was an accident case. Fatal bike accident according to the attendant. Goosebumps enveloped my while body.

I remember my bike carefully parked under the shade of parking lot belonging to one of the hospital HOD.
I wanted to turn and leave but my courage couldn't carry me.
He pulled another chiller and I saw little babies numbering up to 15 or thereabout. Aborted babies and infant that died during or after births. They were so tiny with their umbilical cords. I couldn't take it anymore.
I told him we are okay for today.
He laughed small in a nasty way.
My head started swelling and felt a little faintness erupting from within my system. He opened another door and I saw countless dead bodies lying on beds. The type we use in boarding schools.
Most of the corpses were stacked against the wall with wrappers dangling around the lower bodies.
These ones have been dried in the chiller.
Some are forgotten corpses awaiting mass burial or practicals.
I quickly walked towards the exit. The attendant sensed this and he quickly came towards the door and unlocked it. I found myself outside.

I spat into a nearby drainage. I couldn't swallow saliva.
I didn't even look back even the guy that came with me doesn't exist in my head anymore.
The damage has already been done to my mind.
The attendant called us into his office again.
Asking about our experience. I kept mute.
My only thought was to get home.. Get a shower and then let's see what happens next.
He asked us to come again next time for the mortuary tour. I didn't respond.

Suddenly there was noise just outside his office. We came outside. And I saw a group of crying mob.
They just lost their mother. They came for the mortuary service. The attendant excused us and took them into his tiny office. I walked towards my little Honda Cube bike. Unlocked it and mounted it.. The other guy mounted as well. I rode off towards home..

Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Bola146(f): 11:40am On Sep 26, 2021
There was one of my father's best friends ( he is late now) his wife was sick, he and his wife went to normal check up in the hospital that day, his wife went home and the husband went back to his base in another state, he called his wife number to inform her he has landed but she didn't pick her calls, he called one of his children to go check her at home. The son met his mother laying on the floor died! He called my father to help him take her to the hospital but she was died before arrival. My father, my mother and myself went to meet the husband at home because he came late, the husband insisted he want to see his wife at the mortuary in the morning. My mother said I shouldn't follow them because it's public mortuary (OAUTHC Ile Ife) which always look scary but my father said I shouldn't mind her that it's just normal human lying down sleeping, so we got there, omo see the smell was so bad! My mother warned me not to move near her if we get inside, I laughed. On getting inside, the attendant took us to where they dropped her ( mere floor, nothing was done on her, no AC, no wool shocked shocked) Na so my father started small craze, see grammar grin grin he was mad because they couldn't take care of the woman well ( i thought one dead spirit entered him) I was shocked when I saw the dead woman too!!! She was so dark and swollen! You could hardly know her again, I nearly collapsed, i wanted to hold my mother at the back, omo see dirty slap on my face, I thought I was died seeing stars, until I saw myself inside the car weeping ( I was told one attendant took me out) See everyone in the car was making jest of me when we were going home. Since that day, God forbid bad thing, I can't move near any morgue again never!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Idamond: 11:49am On Sep 26, 2021

Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Idamond: 11:57am On Sep 26, 2021

@seun
lalasticlala

Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by illicit(m): 2:54pm On Sep 26, 2021
When I saw my late mum at the morgue, I felt his I have never felt before....
Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by otokx(m): 2:57pm On Sep 26, 2021
Nice Sunday sermon.
Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Joelobioha(m): 4:03pm On Sep 26, 2021
Our pastor asked several of us to visit a morgue after service I included..when I got in..saw a huge guy with several bullet holes in his chest and another guy maybe a robber with a bullet hole in his head..I came across bodies stashed so closed like a deck of cards..they were pale looking..in the children section I saw kids ages ranging from at least 9-12 or so..I can't fully explain all i saw but when I left the morgue the world seemed blank.I felt like so after all this life person go end for here it was just pitiful..
Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by greenie77: 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2021
Very, very humbling experience.
Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Tinyemeka(m): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2021
Visiting the morgue is always a humbling experience.

One gets to understand the futility of life's "hustles" and how vulnerable the flesh is.

A dead body stacked in a particular position will remain that way and can never move on it's own, except by an external force.

This world is just a stage of which we are all acting our parts. We'll all get to leave the stage eventually.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Resurgent2016: 5:59pm On Sep 26, 2021
Never really toured a morgue, but I have visited the casualty ward of a gov hospital in lagos. It seem like an alternate universe filled with hopelessness and raw human misery. I saw them cover someone who just died before my presence, endless wailing from visitors and patients begging God and man to survive. The doctors there looked liked robots who had lost all sense of human emotion. I wonder how they live outisde the hospital walls because some key human emotions in them seem dead

Dont think I will ever set foot there again. I pray to die in my house. Never will I want to see such to depressing environment. Would probably have been a better experience if it were a private hospital. Unfortunately private hospitals shun and pass on the responsibility for the most serious cases
Re: Have You Ever Visited Any Morgue Before Share Your Experience? by Faithymatt(f): 3:06am On Sep 27, 2021
Resurgent2016:
Never really toured a morgue, but I have visited the casualty ward of a gov hospital in lagos. It seem like an alternate universe filled with hopelessness and raw human misery. I saw them cover someone who just died before my presence, endless wailing from visitors and patients begging God and man to survive. The doctors there looked liked robots who had lost all sense of human emotion. I wonder how they live outisde the hospital walls because some key human emotions in them seem dead

Dont think I will ever set foot there again. I pray to die in my house. Never will I want to see such to depressing environment. Would probably have been a better experience if it were a private hospital. Unfortunately private hospitals shun and pass on the responsibility for the most serious cases

I'm a medical student so let me explain why the doctors looked like emotionless robots. This is stuff most people don't know but beginning from the second year in medical school, we're asked to dissect dead bodies which we call cadavers to observe the human body and what it's made of.
At some point we get used to seeing lifeless bodies because we spent a lot of time in medical school cutting them open to see what's inside.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Confuse... Need Help / I Need Information On Hotels In Ibadan Nigeria / Why Do So Many Skilled Immigrants Complain That They Do Not Get Jobs In Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.