Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,434 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? (3269 Views)

Two Ladies In Tears, After Iphone 13 They Bought Boots As Android Phones (video) / Google Ditches Dessert Names, Officially Name Android Q As Android 10 / Android P Name Revealed As Android Pistachio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 2:38pm On Sep 26, 2021
What is the Android Open Sourced Project (AOSP)?

Some years back, I came across two guys arguing online. One said that the Android Open Sourced Project (AOSP) was the same as the regular Android on our phones and the other guy said it was not. Personally, I had no idea what they were talking about and had to go do some serious research before I could get the gist of the conversation.

Recently, I was giving a talk and I mentioned the Android Open Sourced Project (AOSP) in passing. Someone called my attention to it and asked for some explanation. Turns out that, not a lot of people knew about it either.

So then, what is the Android Open Sourced Project (AOSP) and is it different from the android on your phone?

Read: History of Android

Android Open Sourced Project (AOSP)

The AOSP is an initiative created to guide the development of the Android mobile platform. It is overseen by the Open Handset Alliance (OHA). The OHA is a group of companies that use Android and are headed by Google.

Android is owned and developed by Google. AOSP is the “raw” or unfinished version of Android. Google provides it and uploads it online for free. As such, anyone with the technical know-how, from entire companies to individuals, is free to download the AOSP. They can then edit, recompile and modify it as they choose. They are also free to review it and contribute new codes or features to it as well.

AOSP by itself is not very useful. Think of AOSP like raw ingredients for cooking food. Lets say rice, tomatoes, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, chicken etc. Technically, they are food but we cannot eat them in their raw state. They are going to have to be “cooked“. The same thing can be said about the AOSP.

AOSP is a very basic software and it is not the complete Android experience. Apart from the basic Android code and features, it contains nothing else. Therefore, anyone who wants to use the AOSP has to download this “raw” version and “cook” it.

Read: iOS (Apple) vs Android (Google)

Stock Android
On Google’s own Pixel devices, they use the pure AOSP software but have to add in a user interface (UI), device drivers, as well as their own suit of apps like Chrome, GMail, YouTube etc. (GApps) and services known as GMS. Google’s finished version of AOSP is known as Stock Android.

Other companies who use AOSP like Samsung, Xiaomi or Tecno each have to download AOSP and modify it as they deem fit. They could add in new features, device drivers, software, apps and UIs. Some of which may not be found on Stock Android. This is why even though Samsung and Xiaomi are both android phones, they do not feel the same.

Android skins
Android phones from different companies feel different. A great part of this is due to the different approaches each company takes towards modifying AOSP. This can especially be seen in the UIs. Just as the skin covers our bodies, so does the UI cover the Android software. So as a result, these different AOSP modifications are known as Android Skins. Examples include MIUI, Poco UI, One UI, Oxygen OS, XoS etc.

Unlike Stock android that has very few apps besides GMS and runs light, Android Skins on the other hand are packed full with a lot of software from their respective companies. These extra software are known as BLOATWARE. They make Android skins heavier and run slower than Stock Android.

Custom ROM
Individual developers/programmers can also download AOSP and modify it for particular devices. Most of them would then put it up online for free. This is especially important if your parent company has stopped supporting your phone. These AOSP modifications done by independent programmers are known as CUSTOM ROMS. The very popular ones include Pixel experience, Lineage OS, Evolution X, Havoc, Corvus, Revenge etc. To use a custom ROM, you will have to root your phone.

Conclusion
As you can see, AOSP and Android are not exactly the same thing. AOSP is the unfinished product whilst the Android on your phone is the finished version. AOSP does not contain device drivers, apps or anything of the sort. It also does not contain Google apps (GApps) and services (GMS). The Android on your phone comes loaded with these apps.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/09/25/what-is-the-android-open-sourced-project-aosp/

If you liked the article, there are more on my blog. So you could check it out sometime.

You could also check out the YouTube channel. There are videos there as well.

If you're interested in seeing a topic, just leave me a comment and I'll check it up for you. It's that simple.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Manq(m): 2:57pm On Sep 26, 2021
And someone will argue that iOS is fun! It's just like comparing Amala made in ikoyi with the one made in Ikeja na only the plate matter
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by ncpat(m): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2021
Android OS is from AOSP , the AOSP is from Google and any company to individuals can customized and edit the source code of AOSP to suit their need and complete it to become Android OS. Therefore AOSP is unfinished for anyone to tweak and finish it into Android OS so as to run on smart phones as well as other smart devices.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2021
ncpat:
Android OS is from AOSP , the AOSP is from Google and any company to individuals can customized and edit the source code of AOSP to suit their need and complete it to become Android OS. Therefore AOSP is unfinished for anyone to tweak and finish it into Android OS so as to run on smart phones as well as other smart devices.

You just summarized it in one paragraph.

Well done grin

12 Likes

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2021
Manq:
And someone will argue that iOS is fun! It's just like comparing Amala made in ikoyi with the one made in Ikeja na only the plate matter

That's the beauty of Android

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Manq(m): 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2021
atheistandproud:

That's the beauty of Android

I tell you.. so much fun to play around with
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2021
Manq:

I tell you.. so much fun to play around with

Most of the features we enjoy on Android sef, na individuals dey run am for Custom ROMs first.

If the thing make brain, before Google come add am join AOSP officially for companies to take update their phones.

See stuff like the Freezer on HiOS or Second space for MIUI... E no dey stock android or AOSP for that matter.

This is why android will continually be ahead of iOS in terms of features.

2 Likes

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by SqueezedPant: 3:18pm On Sep 26, 2021
Arrow OS is my favourite custom ROM
less customizations unlike other roms but it's very very stable

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by OneKinGuy(m): 3:28pm On Sep 26, 2021
SqueezedPant:
Arrow os is good. But try LinageOS

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by constance500: 4:54pm On Sep 26, 2021
OneKinGuy:

Arrow os is good. But try LinageOS

I think LineageOS takes 1st position for now
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by DONFRANSKID(m): 5:12pm On Sep 26, 2021
Thank you boss
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2021
DONFRANSKID:
Thank you boss

You're welcome.

Thank you for reading too grin

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2021
constance500:

I second this
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by SunshineHQ(m): 6:56pm On Sep 26, 2021
athiest with a long range assistgrin
thanks boss

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 7:21pm On Sep 26, 2021
SunshineHQ:
athiest with a long range assistgrin

thanks boss

No hype me to much oh.

I no know when last my leg touch ball. I forget my boot for Sokoto sef embarassed
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by SunshineHQ(m): 7:31pm On Sep 26, 2021
atheistandproud:

No hype me to much oh.

I no know when last my leg touch ball. I forget my boot for Sokoto sef embarassed
come arsenal, we go manage ugrin
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 7:34pm On Sep 26, 2021
Thanks for this info

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 7:35pm On Sep 26, 2021
SunshineHQ:
come arsenal, we go manage ugrin

I dey come

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by SunshineHQ(m): 7:36pm On Sep 26, 2021
atheistandproud:

I dey come
SHOWOFF! grin
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 7:38pm On Sep 26, 2021
SqueezedPant:
which device uses this
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 7:41pm On Sep 26, 2021
constance500:

where can one get this OS and can it work on any phone?
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 7:56pm On Sep 26, 2021
Theanyanwu:

They have a website lol.

Just Google lineage OS download

But don't go there if you don't know how to root phones. It only works for supported devices.
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2021
SunshineHQ:
SHOWOFF! grin

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2021
atheistandproud:

They have a website lol.

Just Google lineage OS download

But don't go there if you don't know how to root phones. It only works for supported devices.
oh! Okay then. I'll just stick with my HiOS then

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2021
Theanyanwu:
oh! Okay then. I'll just stick with my HiOS then

Great Choice
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 8:44pm On Sep 26, 2021
atheistandproud:

Great Choice
yea, I believe so.
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by constance500: 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2021
Theanyanwu:

Yes but you need to walk through the bootloader unlocking and twrp porting process and trust me it's not as easy as you think
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by Theanyanwu: 9:49pm On Sep 26, 2021
constance500:

Yes but you need to walk through the bootloader unlocking and twrp porting process and trust me it's not as easy as you think
i can sense that, I don't think I'll wanna go through that process
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by CreepyBlackpool: 11:30am On Sep 27, 2021
Oga Atheist, sorry to derail your thread.

Between the new Redmi 10 and the Redmi note 9, which would you advice someone to go for? Taking general performance as the most important thing to consider, disregarding camera performance sha.
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 11:52am On Sep 27, 2021
CreepyBlackpool:
Oga Atheist, sorry to derail your thread.

Between the new Redmi 10 and the Redmi note 9, which would you advice someone to go for? Taking general performance as the most important thing to consider, disregarding camera performance sha.

Speaking about performance, that is down to:
1. SoC
2. GPU
3. RAM
4. Software

Now both phones use Mediatek SoCs. The RN9 uses the older Helio G85 while the newer R10 uses the Helio G88.

Don't let the numbers fool you. Both SoCs are virtually the same in terms of performance. The processor cores in both of them are identical (A75 + A55) and have the same clockspeeds (2GHz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGxA-21QK0

The only thing to point out is that the newer Helio G88 has an improved HyperTek engine. A type of firmware code that overclocks the SoC during heavy tasks.

In terms of raw performance...both are identical. No difference.

What I'll say is, the only benefit of going for Redmi 10 is the software support and possible android 12 update.

If not, the Redmi Note 9 is just fine and a cheaper option. If you can still find it on the market.
Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by CreepyBlackpool: 4:39pm On Sep 27, 2021
atheistandproud:

Speaking about performance, that is down to:
1. SoC
2. GPU
3. RAM
4. Software

Now both phones use Mediatek SoCs. The RN9 uses the older Helio G85 while the newer R10 uses the Helio G88.

Don't let the numbers fool you. Both SoCs are virtually the same in terms of performance. The processor cores in both of them are identical (A75 + A55) and have the same clockspeeds (2GHz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGxA-21QK0

The only thing to point out is that the newer Helio G88 has an improved HyperTek engine. A type of firmware code that overclocks the SoC during heavy tasks.

In terms of raw performance...both are identical. No difference.

What I'll say is, the only benefit of going for Redmi 10 is the software support and possible android 12 update.

If not, the Redmi Note 9 is just fine and a cheaper option. If you can still find it on the market.

all right boss, thanks.

actually it's the note 9s I want to get, it ticks all the boxes for me, but I can't find it so I'm checking if I do see the note 10 whether I should go for it or just go for the Redmi 10 that's plenty available.

Anyway thanks for the answer.

1 Like

Re: What Does AOSP Mean And Is It The Same Thing As Android? by atheistandproud(m): 7:02pm On Sep 27, 2021
CreepyBlackpool:

all right boss, thanks.

actually it's the note 9s I want to get, it ticks all the boxes for me, but I can't find it so I'm checking if I do see the note 10 whether I should go for it or just go for the Redmi 10 that's plenty available.

Anyway thanks for the answer.

You're welcome

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Aware Of This Feature On Your Android Phone??? / Nokia Maps For Nigeria / D Days Of Blackberry Are Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.