Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation (2793 Views)

Canadian Police Find Missing Nigerian Girl Amina Lawal(pics) / American Woman Accuses Reno Omokri Of Identity Theft / Security Forces Burst Boko Haram Intelligence Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by playmode(m): 8:36am On May 28, 2011
Peel Regional police in southern Ontario Canada, say they've cracked a crime network that allegedly used the faces of real people to make fake identity cards used to open phony bank and credit accounts.

The accounts were used to cash stolen checks and defraud several companies of more than $500,000, Inspector Colleen Fawcett said Wednesday.

Proceeds of the illicit scheme were used to make land purchases in the African nation of Ghana, she said.

Six people, including a Brampton couple accused of being the ringleaders of the operation, have been arrested following a seven-month investigation. A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a seventh.

After stealing mail from their victims, the suspects would create fraudulent identification in the forms of; Ontario Driver’s licenses, Ontario Master Business licenses and Government of Canada Social Insurance cards. They would then attend financial institutions and use the fraudulent identification to collect money from the stolen cheques.

The stolen checks ranged from $4000.00 to $130,000.00 and the collective total value of the frauds exceeded $500,000.00. This remains an active investigation and this number is expected to increase.

The criminal organization is also believed to be responsible for obtaining personal credit profiles form citizens in Canada and the United States of America.

The following people have been charged in relation to this investigation;

[B]1)      [B]Adedayo OSHIYEMI[/B] – a 38 year-old male resident of Brampton

Leader of a Criminal Organization

Conspiracy to Commit Fraud Over $5000.00

Conspiracy to Commit the Offense of Possessing Stolen Property

Conspiracy to Uttering Forged Documents

Laundering Proceeds of Crime

Uttering Forged Documents (11 counts)

Fraud Under $5000.00 (3 counts)

[B] [/B]

[B]2)      [/B][B]Franca ALABI – [/B]a 28 year-old female resident of Brampton

Participant in a Criminal Organization

Fraud Under $5000.00

[B]3)      [/B][B]Christopher MCGEE – [/B]a 27 year-old male resident of Brampton

Conspiracy to Uttering a Forged Document

Uttering a Forged Document (5 counts)

[B]4)      [/B][B]Victoria BOUCHER[/B] – a 25 year-old female resident of Brampton

Uttering a Forged Document

Possessing a Counterfeit Mark (2 counts)

[B]5)      [/B][B]Earl ADANVOR[/B]  - a 22 year-old male resident of Brampton

Fraud Under $5000.00

Possession of Stolen Property

[B]6)      [/B][B]Bolanle OBALAJA[/B] – a 35 year-old male from Toronto

Possession of Stolen Property

Possession of Counterfeit Mark

All suspects were arrested on May 5, 2011 and held for bail hearings.

A warrant of arrest has been issued for;

A 28 year-old male from Brampton. He is described as a white male, 5’10” feet tall, 140lbs., thin build with either a shaved head or short brown hair. A picture of DUDA has been posted on the Peel Regional police website.

Detectives released few details about how the scam organizers found people willing to let their photos be used on fake cards and then go into financial institutions to create the false accounts.

Const. Mike Plante would say only that the alleged “runners” were “down and out” people who were paid a fee for their faces.

“They're the ones who actually go into the financial institutions, carry all the fraudulent documents and open the bank accounts and deposit the checks,” he explained.

The alleged ringleaders would then withdraw all the money and manage the accounts, Plante said.  He said high-tech copying and printing make it easy for criminals to produce phony documents, putting police at a disadvantage.

“We always seem to be behind the eight ball, we're always trying to play catch up in our investigations,” Plante said. “Fraud is one of the fastest growing crimes in Canada, especially in the identity theft side of it.”

Once a fake identity card is made, it can be used to get credit, to vote, “free reign to be whoever we want to be, instead of who we really are.”

Plante urged people to monitor their mail for bills and documents that may be delayed.

"Be very diligent,” he said. “With the theft of mail, these documents can fall into the wrong hands.”

He also warned of sophisticated “phishing scams,” calls from criminals pretending to be from reputable companies asking for personal information, which lead to identity theft.

Source: http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1890:canadian-police-arrest-six-in-identity-theft-operation-allegedly-linked-to-ghana&catid=99:outlookscrollerhttp://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1890:canadian-police-arrest-six-in-identity-theft-operation-allegedly-linked-to-ghana&catid=99:outlookscroller
Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by tunnytox(m): 9:03am On May 28, 2011
I pray they arrest many more very soon, it seems many fraudsters who find the USA and Europe getting too hot for them are not moving enmasse to Canada.
Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by musiwa46: 3:55pm On May 28, 2011
that is bad they do that. are you sure. they are not been set up. I remember when some people try to set me up in a company i use to work.  company do not want rival. and they do everything and anything to shut a would be rival.  even one of them was so bold to tell me, i was going to jail. I laugh, but later discovered , he was serious. 
People set up people and tell lies.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by henry101(m): 4:12pm On May 28, 2011
Musiwa, Aare Kankanfo, Do you know any of the Nigerians involved?
Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by musiwa46: 9:52pm On May 28, 2011
i have no business with criminal.

I dont deal with criminal . So i dont know any of them.

the thing is, I know people abroad set up themself. That why many avoid them. If you have no business with them. you have no business with the police.

The Yoruba people would say. Know the child, which you are. That a child from a good home does not walk in the darkness.  I have no business with criminal. And will never have business with them.  I dont do crime and would never do crime.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by Ngodigha: 10:10pm On May 28, 2011
This Igbo boys again.
Seanet, Bluetooth etc, this iGBO BOYS ARE AT IT AGAIN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by alex101(m): 11:02pm On May 28, 2011
Chei! These Yoruba people with fraud grin As a non-one nigerianist, I hereby propose that nigeria should be run by yorobes, they are the only people that can loot nigeria to disintegration,,,,it's in their gene to steal public funds. The yoroboas gave us people like OBJ, Tinumbu, bode george, thief mko, olubumi etteh, adedibu, and numerous criminals.

GUYS, LETS US ELECT BODE GEORGE FOR PRESIDENT COME 2015, AND THE MINISTERS OF FINANCE AND PETROLEUM SHOULD BE YOROBEAS ALSO! cool

1 Like

Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by Adejoro74: 1:52am On May 29, 2011
wow! What can I say.
Re: Canadian Police Burst Nigerians In Identity Theft Operation by identitytheft: 3:30am On Dec 21, 2014
hm

(1) (Reply)

Chude Jideonwo Blasts Senate On Anti-man-lover Law, Why I Am Ashamed To Be A Nigerian / Who Is The Shortest Gov. In Nigeria? / U.S Threatens Sanctions Against Nigeria Over Pardon For Ex-convict Alamieyeseigh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.