Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,157 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever (1261 Views)

Death And Living Forever / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by newmi(m): 11:04am On May 28, 2011
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

many people have translated "everlasting or eternal life" to mean living forever with God but you see such narrow understanding of the concept of eternal life is greatly misleading. Everlasting or eternal life is not merely a life to be lived with God forever and ever no otherwise what are we still doing here since giving our hearts to Christ?
Eternal life is the quality of the God-kind of life, it is the "living standard" of the manner of life that can only be associated with God.
The scripture in John 17:3 is one of my most inspiring scritures because it clearly provides one of the simplest definitions of what eternalife is.
John 17:3
"And this is life eternal, that they might KNOW thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent"

these were the very words of Jesus Christ and He ties eternal life to KNOWLEDGE, not just any knowledge becuase there are many "knowledge" in the world today but the knowledge of "the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He hast sent"
When a man gets born again, he receives eternal life but the question now boils down to the measure of the quality of that life you will or are living, that explains the reason why sadly many christians are suffering and bartling with certain things that they are not suppose to be suffering from.

Hosea 4:6
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge . . ."

Knowledge is key

2 Peter 1:2
"Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, and of Jesus our Lord"

you see almost the same retoric as we read read in John 17:3 and in the mouth of two or more witnesses a matter is established
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Nobody: 11:31am On May 28, 2011
So you're saying, your "soul" is not going to live forever and "eternal life" is just accepting jesus as your lord and "massa"?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by mazaje(m): 12:02pm On May 28, 2011
Everybody with his own interpretation of "the word of God". . . . . . .Everything boils down to prosperity to all these prosperity gospel advocates. . . . . .
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Joagbaje(m): 1:27pm On May 28, 2011
@Newmi
Thanks ,its true, You don't have to be born again to live forever. Everyone will live forever. So longevity is not. eternal life.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by 2buff4Mods(m): 3:29am On May 29, 2011
folks have "eternal life" in hell too. The devil's ultimate promise for anyone who seeks such from him.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by thehomer: 7:22am On May 29, 2011
Joagbaje:

@Newmi
Thanks ,its true, You don't have to be born again to live forever. Everyone will live forever. So longevity is not. eternal life.

2buff4Mods:

folks have "eternal life" in hell too. The devil's ultimate promise for anyone who seeks such from him.

Well, tell that to Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh-day Adventists they read the Bible and came to another conclusion.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Nobody: 8:03am On May 29, 2011
thehomer:

Well, tell that to Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh-day Adventists they read the Bible and came to another conclusion.

Well they are not "true" christians. It should be clear to everyone that God has been using humans to fight a proxy war against Satan just like modern superpowers do. 

Its like the Soviet- Afghan war. The soviets are like the devil, the US is god and Osama bin laden and the rest of the afghan freedom fighters are the humans. 

And that's the reason for the wanton bloodshed in the old testament. We are special soldiers of god, that's why the sun stood still while Joshua killed all the people in that city. They were serving the devil afterall, so they deserved to die. Yes, the Kids deserved to die too, who are you to question God? angry
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Joagbaje(m): 3:44pm On May 29, 2011
thehomer:

What is their conclusion
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by thehomer: 4:37pm On May 29, 2011
Joagbaje:

What is their conclusion

That there is no hell in Christianity.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by thehomer: 4:38pm On May 29, 2011
Martian:

Well they are not "true" christians. It should be clear to everyone that God has been using humans to fight a proxy war against Satan just like modern superpowers do. 

Its like the Soviet- Afghan war. The soviets are like the devil, the US is god and Osama bin laden and the rest of the afghan freedom fighters are the humans. 

And that's the reason for the wanton bloodshed in the old testament. We are special soldiers of god, that's why the sun stood still while Joshua killed all the people in that city. They were serving the devil afterall, so they deserved to die. Yes, the Kids deserved to die too, who are you to question God? angry

Of course. This is why we must wait for the "True Christians" to tell us what God says.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by newmi(m): 5:15pm On May 30, 2011
thehomer:

Of what consequence will it make when they are not Christians for most and important reason being that they deny the Person of the Holy Spirit Who is the Foundation and platform on which the gospel was giving birth to and still today remains the propelling and sustaining singular factor for the Church and the gospel
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by thehomer: 5:30pm On May 30, 2011
newmi:

Of what consequence will it make when they are not Christians for most and important reason being that they deny the Person of the Holy Spirit Who is the Foundation and platform on which the gospel was giving birth to and still today remains the propelling and sustaining singular factor for the Church and the gospel

They're not Christians because they do not view the holy spirit the way you do? Please tell me, do you think Christians are free to pray to God via Pope John Paul II?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by newmi(m): 7:03pm On May 30, 2011
^^^^^
are telling me that people pray to God "via" Pope John Paul ll
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by thehomer: 7:06pm On May 30, 2011
newmi:

^^^^^
are telling me that people pray to God "via" Pope John Paul ll

That is one of the things saints are for. They're there to intercede on your behalf.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by plappville(f): 10:04pm On Nov 05, 2011
thehomer:

That is one of the things saints are for. They're there to intercede on your behalf.

Will the Priest intercede on ur behalf on the day of judgement too? Is this what Jesus said?
So why did Jesus taught us how to pray?

@Op, this is ur own interpretation, so what happens to ur soul there after?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by plappville(f): 9:57am On Nov 06, 2011
After physical death, believers gain eternal life. I dont get Ur qoute about eternal life.

(John 11:25-26 NIV)
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

This verse also proved that As Believers, we will dwell with God forever/eternal
(Psalm 23:6)
Surely goodness and merci will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
What is our hope if we are not to be God in life eternal?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by alaper: 11:04am On Nov 06, 2011
This eternal life business sef!!
Wouldn't people get bored after thousands and thousands of years of singing and whatever they are supposed to be doing there! undecided undecided It doesn't sound like an attractive place even if it exists!!! Very booooooring!! No beer! no sex!! ( or will there be sex in heaven?)
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Joagbaje(m): 4:15am On Nov 09, 2011
alaper:

This eternal life business sef!!
Wouldn't people get bored after thousands and thousands of years of singing and whatever they are supposed to be doing there! undecided undecided

Eternal life in christ is not longevity. It's only a part. We are not going to be in heaven forever, we will only be in heaven for 7 years, we are coming back to earth , it is in the new earth we will live forever .

alaper:

It doesn't sound like an attractive place even if it exists!!! Very booooooring!! No beer! no sex!! ( or will there be sex in heaven?)
Heaven is more beautiful and sophisticated than this planet, what do you expect from a God who is brain behind all scientific inventions? When you receive christ life,you will see the beauty of heaven.
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by alaper: 6:22am On Nov 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

Eternal life in christ is not longevity. It's only a part. We are not going to be in heaven forever, we will only be in heaven for 7 years, we are coming back to earth , it is in the new earth we will live forever .
Heaven is more beautiful and sophisticated than this planet, what do you expect from a God who is brain behind all scientific inventions? When you receive christ life,you will see the beauty of heaven.

Chei!!! That is a new one to me!!!! Please according to your christian understanding, what really happens after a person dies?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Joagbaje(m): 8:12am On Nov 09, 2011
If a christian dies,he gies to heaven. But if a man who rejected salvation dies, he goes to Hell. Hell is not the final end ,it's a temporary abode of the wicked Until the final judgement whic will take place 1000 years after the rapture. That's what the bible teaches
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by alaper: 9:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

If a christian dies,he gies to heaven. But if a man who rejected salvation dies, he goes to Hell. Hell is not the final end ,it's a temporary abode of the wicked Until the final judgement whic will take place 1000 years after the rapture. That's what the bible teaches

I think you lost me there!!! What you mean then is that there are two (2) judgements? The first to decide who goes to heaven or hell. Then the one you call the final judgement which is is 1000 years after the rapture shocked Am I on track?? This is getting interesting! What happens if you pass judgement one and fail judgement two? Or vice versa? Or fail one subject, fail all!! tongue tongue like WASC of old! grin grin grin
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by plappville(f): 4:14pm On Nov 10, 2011
Joagbaje:

(1 Corinthians 15:52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

(1 Thessalonians 4:15-16) 15: According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.

16:For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians, was that when the Lord descends from heaven, "the dead in Christ will rise first", he didtnt tell them they are already in heaven. Like u see in verse 15 They asleep.
Hell is not the final end

So which/what is the final end for the dead sinners if not hall?
Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by Joagbaje(m): 6:11pm On Nov 10, 2011
plappville:

Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians, was that when the Lord descends from heaven, "the dead in Christ will rise first", he didtnt tell them they are already in heaven.

They are in heaven in spiritual bodies. When a christian dies, his spirit goes to heaven. While waiting for bodily resurrection.

Philippians 1:23
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 7 (For we walk by faith, not by sightsmiley 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

When we leave the body, we will be with the lord

Like u see in verse 15 They asleep.

Sleep refers to the body in death

Re: Eternal Life Is Not Just Living Forever by alaper: 10:59pm On Nov 10, 2011
Joagbaje:

They are in heaven in spiritual bodies. When a christian dies, his spirit goes to heaven. While waiting for bodily resurrection.

Philippians 1:23
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 7 (For we walk by faith, not by sightsmiley 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

When we leave the body, we will be with the lord

Sleep refers to the body in death

Hurrah!!!! We unrepentant sinners have an opportunity to appeal if the "first judgement" finds me guilty. By the "final judgement" we can do plea bargaining!!!! grin grin grin The whole idea is laughable. The fact is that nobody knows. The writers of the bible don't know either

(1) (Reply)

Pastors And Their Vision About Mr/mrs "right".whats Ur Take? / Can You Believe In God And Evolution? / 991

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.