Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? (739 Views)

Loan App Send A Fraud Message To My Hr Over Loan Default. Any Implication? / Sterling Bank Staff Open Accounts Using Customers Names Linked With BVN For Loan / Court Seals Shoprite In Umuahia Over Loan Default (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? by winningwinner(m): 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2021
Hi Nairalanders,
I want you to help me with a good advice on what to do concerning a message I received from a shark loan outfit. This afternoon I received a message urging me to act on their behalf concerning a purported friend or relation of mine whom the sender claimed was owing their loan company.
They claimed that the person made me one of his emergency contacts. This company did not inform me when the person was borrowing the money using me as one of his emergency contacts, how come they remembered me now that he/she has failed to pay?
Again, is it possible for one to borrow money using someone he does not know as emergency contact? Are there no background checks before such loans are given?
Back to my story. As soon as this message came, I took my time to run a background check. I discovered that the guy in question was a plumber I engaged to fix some pipes in my house a week ago. He told me how he stumbled into an advertisement by a loan company known as 9Credit who promised him instant loans. He applied and was credited with N3000 for 7days. That after 3days they started disturbing him with live calls and recorded messages to pay up the loan and receive a higher loan offer and an extended loan period.
He told me that he paid in the evening of the third day believing to receive a higher loan offer with loan period extension as they promised, but they did not live true to their promises. What they did was to increase the loan offer without extending the period. The period was still 7days. He was falling for their gimmicks until his loan offer increased to N35,000 to pay back N43,330 in 7days. Though there were days he couldn't pay within the 7days limit and was surcharged N875 every day until he paid up along with the surcharges. The days he paid back 3days ahead nobody compensated him with even a little reduction for paying before the due date. Note: He was being scammed here with nice tricks...
That even this one that made me to reach out to him was not that he refused to pay back but that he was expecting some money that will help him complete the amount for payment. Also to avoid being seen as a defaulter, he paid N20,330 out of the N43,330 and later N12,000 remaining N11,000. That 9Credit called him in respect to that but he told them he will make the payment in the next three days. They never wanted to hear that even though they are adding to him N875 every day as surcharges.
That they now threatened him that they will be calling his contacts. As a result, I happen to be among those on his contact without first verifying if I actually qualified to act on his behalf. And the guy denied ever using my name as a contact person. I believed him because he has been collecting loans from these people before he was introduced to me as a plumber. The message:
"Good day Sir/Ma,
We are sorry for any inconveniences these may cause you. This is in regard of _________ with phone number 0******** who has failed to pay back the loan he took from NINE CREDIT, we want you to help us reach him and urge him to make payment today to avoid us taking LEGAL ACTIONS against him. Finally, be informed that you are one of his EMERGENCY CONTACTS, we have your information, you can as well tell him to exclude you if you do not know about this loan. ... 9Credit Team".

Please my dear people, does this sound like a responsible loan company or a scamming outfit? Who are those behind 9Credit Online Loans? If these people are truly not criminals, why should they involve me using such lies as weighty as they are? Do they know the implications of lying with someone's details online?
Right now, I am annoyed and would love to hear from people like you on Nairaland before I do what is in mind to avoid making a bigger mistake. Lawyers among us here can as well help to interpret the above message and let us know what are the legal implications of it. Also, help me find out if these online loaning outfits are established by law and are duly registered and covered by CBN. Where can one report them in case of rights infringement? Thank you.

1 Share

Re: What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? by MMempire(m): 7:20pm On Sep 29, 2021
I no be lawyer, but them no get right to dey disturb you to call the loan defaulter cos dem no let you know before dem give am the loan. Abi you authorize dem to give the guy the loan ni?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? by winningwinner(m): 9:31pm On Sep 29, 2021
MMempire:
I no be lawyer, but them no get right to dey disturb you to call the loan defaulter cos dem no let you know before dem give am the loan. Abi you authorize dem to give the guy the loan ni?

Thanks for this. I salute your courage to stand for the truth. More grace...!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? by webtutorr: 11:19pm On Sep 29, 2021
winningwinner:
Hi Nairalanders,
I want you to help me with a good advice on what to do concerning a message I received from a shark loan outfit. This afternoon I received a message urging me to act on their behalf concerning a purported friend or relation of mine whom the sender claimed was owing their loan company.
They claimed that the person made me one of his emergency contacts. This company did not inform me when the person was borrowing the money using me as one of his emergency contacts, how come they remembered me now that he/she has failed to pay?
Again, is it possible for one to borrow money using someone he does not know as emergency contact? Are there no background checks before such loans are given?
Back to my story. As soon as this message came, I took my time to run a background check. I discovered that the guy in question was a plumber I engaged to fix some pipes in my house a week ago. He told me how he stumbled into an advertisement by a loan company known as 9Credit who promised him instant loans. He applied and was credited with N3000 for 7days. That after 3days they started disturbing him with live calls and recorded messages to pay up the loan and receive a higher loan offer and an extended loan period.
He told me that he paid in the evening of the third day believing to receive a higher loan offer with loan period extension as they promised, but they did not live true to their promises. What they did was to increase the loan offer without extending the period. The period was still 7days. He was falling for their gimmicks until his loan offer increased to N35,000 to pay back N43,330 in 7days. Though there were days he couldn't pay within the 7days limit and was surcharged N875 every day until he paid up along with the surcharges. The days he paid back 3days ahead nobody compensated him with even a little reduction for paying before the due date. Note: He was being scammed here with nice tricks...
That even this one that made me to reach out to him was not that he refused to pay back but that he was expecting some money that will help him complete the amount for payment. Also to avoid being seen as a defaulter, he paid N20,330 out of the N43,330 and later N12,000 remaining N11,000. That 9Credit called him in respect to that but he told them he will make the payment in the next three days. They never wanted to hear that even though they are adding to him N875 every day as surcharges.
That they now threatened him that they will be calling his contacts. As a result, I happen to be among those on his contact without first verifying if I actually qualified to act on his behalf. And the guy denied ever using my name as a contact person. I believed him because he has been collecting loans from these people before he was introduced to me as a plumber. The message:
"Good day Sir/Ma,
We are sorry for any inconveniences these may cause you. This is in regard of _________ with phone number 0******** who has failed to pay back the loan he took from NINE CREDIT, we want you to help us reach him and urge him to make payment today to avoid us taking LEGAL ACTIONS against him. Finally, be informed that you are one of his EMERGENCY CONTACTS, we have your information, you can as well tell him to exclude you if you do not know about this loan. ... 9Credit Team".

Please my dear people, does this sound like a responsible loan company or a scamming outfit? Who are those behind 9Credit Online Loans? If these people are truly not criminals, why should they involve me using such lies as weighty as they are? Do they know the implications of lying with someone's details online?
Right now, I am annoyed and would love to hear from people like you on Nairaland before I do what is in mind to avoid making a bigger mistake. Lawyers among us here can as well help to interpret the above message and let us know what are the legal implications of it. Also, help me find out if these online loaning outfits are established by law and are duly registered and covered by CBN. Where can one report them in case of rights infringement? Thank you.

Ignore them.
I have recieved such sms b4 and i ignored them because thats not my concern.
they use system to track phone numbers stored in the persons sim and be sending those messages.
Those loan people needs to be sued 4 all these useless act about messaging someone about what he knows not.
But its unfortunate we are in a lawless country.
Re: What Are The Implications Of Calling One's Contacts For Loan Default? by winningwinner(m): 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2021
webtutorr:

Ignore them.
I have recieved such sms b4 and i ignored them because thats not my concern.
they use system to track phone numbers stored in the persons sim and be sending those messages.
Those loan people needs to be sued 4 all these useless act about messaging someone about what he knows not.
But its unfortunate we are in a lawless country.

Thanks so much. It's really childish for a loan company to descend so low as this, what are they trying to achieve with this? They are the ones that entered into business deal why are they trying to tarnish people's image, especially in this type of period? Even at that, the people they are disturbing with these messages were not parties to the agreement. They need to be taught the lesson of their life... Imaging blackmailing someone with falsehood in the name of trying to recover their loan...!

(1) (Reply)

30 Tonnes Trucks For Sale / Help! Paypal Keep Declining my Zenith Bank Card / Paxful.com Shuts Down Operations World Wide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.