Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Was There Really An Oyo Empire? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was There Really An Oyo Empire? (5109 Views)

Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful / An Oyo Successor State. / Oyo Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by christistruth01: 10:10am On Oct 01, 2021
cool

BKayy:

Shameless lie

BKayy:

If your ancestors took part is such honorable expedition, you must have some horses with your family to signify that accomplishment.
So could you go to your stables and snap one of your magnificent Horse for us?

Liar

More

Thank Jesus Christ for the Ijebus love of Over Show Off

What would we Yorubas have done Without them

Where are those who accused the Yoruba of lying about their Culture of Horsemanship so they can be shut up Soundly or have they fled the thread already ?

Cc Tao11, Bkayy, Abohboy,theTranscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDHeKStYHs

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by TAO11(f): 11:20am On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:
[s]You want to be smart by half but ended up making a comedy of an excuse.

You intend to use difference in adjacent biome as an excuse forgetting that according to your Oyo empire story, those places were part of the empire and the imaginary calvary sometimes or most times troop into those places staying days without anything happening to the imaginary horses.

So please come dumber than you already did.
I really want to see how dumb you can be than your initial form.[/s]
What manner of crap is this?

How come an adult is ready to defend the inane idea that horses have equal chances of survival in savannah-cum-desert regions and in the rain forest?

How come an adult ignores independent eyewitness writings from the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s about the Oyo cavalry?

Isn’t something terribly wrong?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by TAO11(f): 11:22am On Oct 01, 2021
Abohboy:
It is a cow tail
Cow tail ke?

It’s horse tail o. Have you seen a cow tail before and compare it what Yoruba kings hold?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 11:31am On Oct 01, 2021
TAO11:
What manner of crap is this?

How come an adult is ready to defend the inane idea that horses have equal chances of survival in savannah-cum-desert regions and in the rain forest?

How come an adult ignores independent eyewitness writings from the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s about the Oyo cavalry?

Isn’t something terribly wrong?
You forgot the part where the first adult insinuated that the disappearance of something as remarkable as a full calvary with Horsemanship was a result of mere movement out of the "original savannah"
The same adult failed to put into consideration that no reasonable organism moves to where its major mode of defense/offense will be neutralised or at worst forever blown into the abyss.
For example, when the Huns terrorised Europe, they tend to avoid places their horses can't survive.

But here we are were a full "adult" wants to make us believe that a reasonable empire somehow manage to lose not just the calvary (a mobile force) but the act of horsemanship due to mere migration. Like when they migrated or forced to move, the horses started dying, they stayed put and watched all die.
Mtcheww... You can do better than this

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 11:54am On Oct 01, 2021
christistruth01:
cool

More

Thank Jesus Christ for the Ijebus love of Over Show Off

What would we Yorubas have done Without them

Where are those who accused the Yoruba of lying about their Culture of Horsemanship so they can be shut up Soundly or have they fled the thread already ?

Cc Tao11, Bkayy, Abohboy,theTranscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDHeKStYHs
There is a very big difference between "riding a Horse" and "struggling with a horse"
If you know much about Horsemanship, you'll know the difference. An average Sokoto man can tell that those people are not riding those horses but are being "Carried" by them talkless of someone with a knowledge on Horsemanship.
By the way, all I see there is a breed Northern Nigeria is known for.

Now that brings the question of "which breed was used by the imaginary Oyo calvary?"

The picture below is an illustration of Kanuri Horsemanship. Only picture tells the difference between real and fake. Compare it with what you people have been posting since

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Christistruth00: 11:59am On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

There is a very big difference between "riding a Horse" and "struggling with a horse"
If you know much about Horsemanship, you'll know the difference. An average Sokoto man can tell that those people are not riding those horses but are being "Carried" by them talkless of someone with a knowledge on Horsemanship.
By the way, all I see there is a breed Northern Nigeria is known for.

Now that brings the question of "which breed was used by the imaginary Oyo calvary?"

The picture below is an illustration of Kanuri Horsemanship. Only picture tells the difference between real and fake. Compare it with what you people have been posting since

The fact that your Ancestors never rode Horses into Battle, not to talk of fighting on Horseback

Doesn’t mean that nobody else did

If they had come the Yorubas would gladly have given them riding lessons free of Charge

There is the Story of an early Missionary that took a Horse gifted from Yorubaland with him to the East

It was Eaten in the Middle of the Night while he was fast asleep

If he had not put the Surviving 2 Horses under 24 hour Surveillance they would have ended up as a Festival of Ogbona and Ugu Soup as well

The Horse breed that they ate was the same as the breed used by the Oyo Calvary to fight Wars

Get over it

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Christistruth00: 3:26pm On Oct 01, 2021
cool
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by samuk: 4:19pm On Oct 01, 2021
TAO11:

I was going to express shock that an ?adult is asking this, but I would be kind to simply answer your question without judging your education background:

In the days of Oyo empire, Oyo-Ile wasn’t far from the Niger River in the savanna — NOT forest.

Since circa 1835, this capital was abandoned and the city moved down south into the forests of the central Yorùbáland in where Oyo is today.

Let me know if you’re able to see the answer in this reply. If not, I will dumb it down further.

It’s a pity.

—————
In addition to answering your question, is there any reason why the European accounts of the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s are not sufficient for you as regards how the Oyo calavlry was ferocious, top notch in Africa, and strikes terror into the hearts of neighboring negros?

Cc: theTranscriber

Na Wao grin
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by TAO11(f): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:
[s]You forgot the part where the first adult insinuated that the disappearance of something as remarkable as a full calvary with Horsemanship was a result of mere movement out of the "original savannah"
The same adult failed to put into consideration that no reasonable organism moves to where its major mode of defense/offense will be neutralised or at worst forever blown into the abyss.
For example, when the Huns terrorised Europe, they tend to avoid places their horses can't survive.

But here we are were a full "adult" wants to make us believe that a reasonable empire somehow manage to lose not just the calvary (a mobile force) but the act of horsemanship due to mere migration. Like when they migrated or forced to move, the horses started dying, they stayed put and watched all die.
Mtcheww... You can do better than this[/s]
This one that you’re fighting yourself. Lol.

Anyways, I’m kinda glad that bitterness/envy pushed you into making a mess & fool of yourself in full public glare.

———————
(1) Oyo-Ile was abandoned NOT because residents were bored of savanna region and the not too far Niger River.

It was abandoned because the empire disintegrated and people migrated in all directions. The empire ended but the kingdom continued at Ago-Oja in the forest.

Your imagination that a new place for horses should be prioritized is a welcome imagination. But history is not to be imagined.

In any case, your laughable imagination does not fly because the migration was not due to boredom and similar reasons.

It wasn’t a migration rooted in exploration/pleasure. It was out of necessity, and survival was what was key at such a point when the empire was just lost.

(2) This question again:
Is there any reason why the eyewitness writings about the fierceness of Oyo’s cavalry and its top notch use of bowmen in Africa (writings from 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s) doesn’t suffice as evidence of its powerful cavalry? Lol.

You’ve been avoiding this question. I would love to read your gymnastics in this regard.

Cheers.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by samuk: 5:28pm On Oct 01, 2021
TAO11:
This one that you’re fighting yourself. Lol.

Anyways, I’m kinda glad that bitterness/envy pushed you into making a mess & fool of yourself in full public glare.

———————
(1) Oyo-Ile was abandoned not NOT because residents were bored of savanna region and the not too far Niger River.

It was abandoned because the empire disintegrated and people migrated in all directions. The empire ended but the kingdom continued at Ago-Oja in the forest.

Your imagination that a new place for horses should be prioritized is a welcome imagination. But history is not to be imagined.

In any case, your laughable imagination does not fly because the migration was not due to boredom and similar reasons.

It wasn’t a migration rooted in exploration/pleasure. It was out of necessity, and survival was what was key at such a point when the empire was just lost.

(2) This question again:
Is there any reason why the eyewitness writings about the fierceness of Oyo’s cavalry and its top notch use of bowmen in Africa (writings from 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s) doesn’t suffice as evidence of its powerful cavalry? Lol.

You’ve been avoiding this question. I would love to read your gymnastics in this regard.

Cheers.
Are you really serious right now
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Abohboy: 9:16am On Oct 02, 2021
BKayy:

You forgot the part where the first adult insinuated that the disappearance of something as remarkable as a full calvary with Horsemanship was a result of mere movement out of the "original savannah"

Mtcheww... You can do better than this

It's like you don't know about the fall of the Oyo empire? What happened was Ilorin was where the cavalry was from as in all of Ilorin simply served the purpose of keeping the cavalry and horseman it was even where they were trained so when the place where 90% of your cavalry is based is taken over by a foreign empire and your army depended on that place for all thier cavalry what do you think happens? They were left destitute their horsemen either assimilated with the conquerors, died fighting them or killed themselves because they lost in battle and that is the truth as to why the cavalry was basically dead after the yoruba civil wars.

And i'd like for you to explain how Yorubas would get the Europeans to create fake history for them when the Europeas quite literally thought all Africans were inferior or stupid why would they need to concoct a fake story for another inferior insignificant ethnic group and if they did why did they only do it for the Yorubas and not gor the Godlike hebrew Igbos?

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Abohboy: 9:19am On Oct 02, 2021
samuk:

Are you really serious right now

Serious about what? That's what happened after Ilorin was conquered the Fulani began to move south and Oyo Ile was ransacked several times so to survive the residents left and founded new cities like Ago D'Oyo the current seat of the old Oyo empire or they moved to Ife which was the start of the Modakeke conflict if you bothered to search you'd find the ruins of the walls found in the old oyo national park or the grinding sites and indigo pits for dying cloth or even the watering holes for the populace it is all there you just have to use your energy to find it

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by samuk: 10:21am On Oct 02, 2021
Abohboy:

Serious about what? That's what happened after Ilorin was conquered the Fulani began to move south and Oyo Ile was ransacked several times so to survive the residents left and founded new cities like Ago D'Oyo the current seat of the old Oyo empire or they moved to Ife which was the start of the Modakeke conflict if you bothered to search you'd find the ruins of the walls found in the old oyo national park or the grinding sites and indigo pits for dying cloth or even the watering holes for the populace it is all there you just have to use your energy to find it

In order to take what you have written seriously and not as some exaggeration from some story tellers, do you have any written eyewitness historical accounts to these events.

Secondly, I am not saying there wasn't an Oyo village whose Alaafin was regarded as the leader of the Yoruba people, this is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is there is no independent verifiable sources or eyewitness historical accounts to support the claim that Oyo was an empire or a kingdom. At best it was a Yoruba village that tried to control other Yoruba villages, sometimes calling on the Oba of Benin for help when he is unable to subdue his rebellious Yoruba neighbours.

Anybody can wake up and write anything as history, this is why I always request for eyewitness historical accounts to support such claims.

If Oyo was an empire in the 1600s and 1700s the way you guys are claiming, why are there no independent eyewitness accounts written by Europeans who documented all notable West Africa kingdoms and empires starting from the 1400s to the 1800s.

All that was written about Oyo until 1824 were all hearsay, not first hand accounts. Why are there no European eyewitness that visited this so called great Oyo empire or Kingdom until 1824, other great kingdoms and empires from Itsekiri, Benin to others were all visited and documented but not Oyo, why was the supposed great Alaafin of Oyo not visited until 1824?

When the Europeans finally visited Oyo in 1824 for the first time, all they saw was a small village struggling for survival from his Yoruba neighbours, they didn't see a kingdom or empire.

The ease at which the Fulani took over Ilorin and converted most Yoruba people and their Obas from Ilorin to Ibadan to Islam is enough evidence that Oyo wasn't an empire let alone a formidable one with great cavalry.

If you have an independent verifiable written eyewitness historical accounts about this supposed great Oyo empire, present them. Usually, when people make claims here and you request for evidence to support their claims, they resort to insults. Hope you are different.

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Abohboy: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2021
samuk:

In order to take what you have written seriously and not as some exaggeration from some story tellers, do you have any written eyewitness historical accounts to these events.

Secondly, I am not saying there wasn't an Oyo village whose Alaafin was regarded as the leader of the Yoruba people, this is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is there is no independent verifiable sources or eyewitness historical accounts to support the claim that Oyo was an empire or a kingdom. At best it was a Yoruba village that tried to control other Yoruba villages, sometimes calling on the Oba of Benin for help when he is unable to subdue his rebellious Yoruba neighbours.

Anybody can wake up and write anything as history, this is why I always request for eyewitness historical accounts to support such claims.

If Oyo was an empire in the 1600s and 1700s the way you guys are claiming, why are there no independent eyewitness accounts written by Europeans who documented all notable West Africa kingdoms and empires starting from the 1400s to the 1800s.

All that was written about Oyo until 1824 were all hearsay, not first hand accounts. Why are there no European eyewitness that visited this so called great Oyo empire or Kingdom until 1824, other great kingdoms and empires from Itsekiri, Benin to others were all visited and documented but not Oyo, why was the supposed great Alaafin of Oyo not visited until 1824?

When the Europeans finally visited Oyo in 1824 for the first time, all they saw was a small village struggling for survival from his Yoruba neighbours, they didn't see a kingdom or empire.

The ease at which the Fulani took over Ilorin and converted most Yoruba people and their Obas from Ilorin to Ibadan to Islam is enough evidence that Oyo wasn't an empire let alone a formidable one with great cavalry.

If you have an independent verifiable written eyewitness historical accounts about this supposed great Oyo empire, present them. Usually, when people make claims here and you request for evidence to support their claims, they resort to insults. Hope you are different.

Tao11 provided dozens of sources if you simply bothered to read you'd find what you're looking for this is purposeful ignorance and i'm not going to entertain anyone who doesn't bother to do their own research

4 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by samuk: 11:12am On Oct 02, 2021
Abohboy:

Tao11 provided dozens of sources if you simply bothered to read you'd find what you're looking for this is purposeful ignorance and i'm not going to entertain anyone who doesn't bother to do their own research

Can you now see the problems with some of you guys, you come here to write fiction, when you are challenged to supply supporting evidence, you will claim it has been presented before, what is the problem of simply reposting the evidence.

You are happy to repeat your lies but not happy to repost your supposed evidence when challenged to do so.

You can't make a claim that is strange to me and when I request for evidence, you can't be bothered and ask me to go and do my own research if I am not ready to believe whatever it is you have claimed.

It's like me claiming to Ghanaians that Nigeria used to produce planes and when challenged to provide evidence, I will ask the them to go and research it for themselves.

If you go to court to make a claim, you are required to supply support evidences to back up your claims.

This is a court of public opinion. The only reason must of you run away from backing up your claims with evidence when requested to do so is because you know you are telling lies.
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Abohboy: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2021
samuk:

Can you now see the problems with some of you guys, you come here to write fiction, when you are challenged to supply supporting evidence, you will claim it has been presented before, what is the problem of simply reposting the evidence.

You are happy to repeat your lies but not happy to repost your supposed evidence when challenged to do so.

You can't make a claim that is strange to me and when I request for evidence, you can't be bothered and ask me to go and do my own research if I am not ready to believe whatever it is you have claimed.

It's like me claiming to Ghanaians that Nigeria used to produce planes and when challenged to provide evidence, I will ask the them to go and research it for themselves.

If you go to court to make a claim, you are required to supply support evidences to back up your claims.

This is a court of public opinion. The only reason must of you run away from backing up your claims with evidence when requested to do so is because you know you are telling lies.

I'm only asking you to do basic research if you're unable to do that then I have no time you'd notice with my threads I do my research first then make the pose like with the Oghane I don't jsut come onto the app completely ignorant and just saying random stuff if you actually wanted to learn google is a free application and you still haven't stated what you want to see as proof give me that and I will give you all the evdence you want

Whether it be their clothing, cavalry, architecture, city life etc. But still google is free and it is where most of us learnt what we know if you really cared then you'd be using it

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Inspirelove: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2021
BKayy:
Is this supposed to be a question?
There are many lies parading themselves as history in Nigeria.
One of them is that Anna Pepple was an Ijaw man.
Another is the imaginary Oyo calvary which mysteriously dissappeared and left no trace of horse or horsemanship in not just in Oyo but the entire Yoruba land.

There was never an Oyo empire. All those things are lies.

why do you people like to start battle u cannot win, even angelique kidjo sang and referred to Oyo Ile.. how do we have Yoruba in Togo and Benin republic ? even as far as Ghana... what made the Oyo language the central Yoruba language in Yoruba land ? Why is Alafin refer to as Political heads in Yoruba land ? Oga if u do not have history, leave us with our history.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Pearlyakin(m): 10:19pm On Oct 02, 2021
Inspirelove:

why do you people like to start battle u cannot win, even angelique kidjo sang and referred to Oyo Ile.. how do we have Yoruba in Togo and Benin republic ? even as far as Ghana... what made the Oyo language the central Yoruba language in Yoruba land ? Why is Alafin refer to as Political heads in Yoruba land ? Oga if u do not have history, leave us with our history.
Don't mind those omo irankiran,TAO11 already roasted them many times but they are sturbbon.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plz Help Me!!! Why Spiritual Soap Don't Work For Me / .............. / Happy Fathers Day Quotes And Messages 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.