Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience (18416 Views)

Growing Menace Of Poison Among Friends At Beer Parlours / Delta Quack Doctor Bursted While Performing Illegal Abortion (Video) / Shocking! Nigerian Mega Church Trains Quack Nurses In Three Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 5:51pm On Oct 02, 2021
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

236 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by TarOrfeeek: 5:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
Honestly the drug abuse issue is another pointer to the endemic poverty - of both mind and material.

Rather than spend N5,000 to buy registration card and get a consultation with Doctors. A Nigerian will rather buy cocktail of tablets from Aboki that carries drugs in suitcase.

When you ask them, they'll say - this one no strong or I need something way go 'flush' my body.

If you try to advise, they'll obviously respond with indifference.

Our parents had a crucial role to play, because majority of us grew up with trial and error medications parents.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 6:10pm On Oct 02, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
Honestly the drug abuse issue is another pointer to the endemic poverty - of both mind and material.

Rather than spend N5,000 to buy registration card and get a consultation with Doctors. A Nigerian will rather buy cocktail of tablets from Aboki that carries drugs in suitcase.

When you ask them, they'll say - this one no strong or I need something way go 'flush' my body.

If you try to advise, they'll obviously respond with indifference.

Our parents had a crucial role to play, because majority of us grew up with trial and error medications parents.
You got it right, poverty and illiteracy mostly, the government also has a big role to play, drugs should never be in the hands of those that are not meant to handle them.

https://naijapharmacist./?m=1
Please click on the link above to visit my blog, drop a comment or question and I will answer with the speed of light

10 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Sewasaunt(f): 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
Trying to educate Nigerians is tiring, very, very tiring.

I also noticed that many people have this disdain for Medical practitioners, they would rather patronize their 'common folk'.

I wonder what can be done, how did we get here?

Is it education? An educated person on Nairaland met a charlatan for toothache and bragged about how the toothache went after the man bathed his tooth with a substance he later realized was acid. Like you saw a man, opened your mouth wah and he put something into your mouth A man you don't know from Adam, no permanent location to get him if anything goes wrong!

Is it poverty? Many of them pay very high rates to charlatans, e.g Nairaland's dr Wale charges 25,000 to treat staphylococcus and people pay.

How can a normal person take the words of a random 'aunty nurse' over a Pharmacist?

Then when things go south, they come crying to the hospitals, claim bills are expensive despite spending more on Charlatans and later open threads like a lady did about how Nigerian dentists only extract teeth and never treat. Aunty, did you go early enough?

Why?

Why?

A child will have appendicitis and next thing it is 'aporo epa ijebu', what is wrong with us?

How do we get better?

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 9:21pm On Oct 02, 2021
Sewasaunt:
Trying to educate Nigerians is tiring, very, very tiring.

I also noticed that many people have this disdain for Medical practitioners, they would rather patronize their 'common folk'.

I wonder what can be done, how did we get here?

Is it education? An educated person on Nairaland met a charlatan for toothache and bragged about how the toothache went after the man bathed his tooth with a substance he later realized was acid. Like you saw a man, opened your mouth wah and he put something into your mouth A man you don't know from Adam, no permanent location to get him if anything goes wrong!

Is it poverty? Many of them pay very high rates to charlatans, e.g Nairaland's dr Wale charges 25,000 to treat staphylococcus and people pay.

How can a normal person take the words of a random 'aunty nurse' over a Pharmacist?

Then when things go south, they come crying to the hospitals, claim bills are expensive despite spending more on Charlatans and later open threads like a lady did about how Nigerian dentists only extract teeth and never treat. Aunty, did you go early enough?

Why?

Why?

A child will have appendicitis and next thing it is 'aporo epa ijebu', what is wrong with us?

How do we get better?

It is baffling, they would rather believe fairytales than believe a professional, like you rightly said, when it's rather too late that's when they start running to hospitals.
I will do my best to educate and enlighten, he who has ears should hear.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Meel: 9:43pm On Oct 02, 2021
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by MrPresent(m): 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2021
We see cases like this everyday. Most patients keep having reoccurring health challenges month after month due to "He or she came highly recommended".

You tell them the truth. The patients call you be bad.
You tell them the truth, they tell you their so called medical practitioner told them to ignore you and follow their own.

I gave a Mother with a Sickle Cell Child something that will greatly help your sickly child 100%. She called me next day and said her doctor told her to ignore my own and keep taking his own.

Mind you. She has been taking the doctor's own since the child was born yet the child has become a regular customer at his hospital month after month since he was born.

Somebody should help me tell that woman that her doctor is a good business man Incase she doesn't know.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by DonroxyII: 8:23pm On Oct 15, 2021
Dozis:
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.
On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.
Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures, so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.
So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.
Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush, so this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor. She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

Even If you want to report Aunty Nurse .. you might be the one to be jailed by Nigerian Police.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 10:09am On Oct 16, 2021
Honestly this is a big problem in this country, one of the reasons I'm scared of having a child in this country cos most hospitals are filled with quack nurses. My grandma was one of such nurses that didn't go to school but learnt in the hospital, she is very lucky no child died in her care as she was a delivery nurse. Ask her anything about drugs or child development, she will give wrong answers. I saw a thread where a doctor said his family didn't want him to marry his illiterate fiance, people were advising him to send her to a hospital to train as an auxiliary nurse. I was shocked, I weep for this country. If she kills someone now, they will be the same people to cry.

Nobody should be called a nurse except the person went to the university and acquired a bsc nursing degree. No wonder the health care system is a mess.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by absingle(m): 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
There lot of quack doctors in lasuth I lost my mom due to quack doctor three month ago am still in pain

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Factfinder1(m): 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
Nigerians abuse drugs with reckless abandon and still won't take advice from a professional

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Omicron007: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
shocked
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2021

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Ojikutumomiage(m): 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
Ha, one dey come treat me tomorrow sef. What do we do bayi embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by truthCoder: 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
Adequate health care is missing in this country for the common folk.

Most real doctors and nurses have moved to UK and Saudi Arabia. If you are a good doctor and you are still in Nigeria, it is either you so much love this country or you have family commitments here. Most of the incompetents are the ones remaining.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.

Only if we had more pharmacists like you, health care in Nigeria would improve

Quacks are just out and about, you will see male J-CHEW claiming to be a doctor, auxiliary nurses performing D&C with dirty instruments

In fact ehhnnnn

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Skillsnigeria: 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
Hmmm
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by deepdeep(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
I contracted scabies not long ago; unfortunately for me, I resorted to one of this so called nurses, she placed me on a three days treatment

Throughout those periods of treatment, she was injecting me daily with drips also; whenever she inject me, it feels as if I was being plug to a direct electric, there will be this mild vibration in my entire body especially in my head cry

With all the vibrations, nothing changed, I later visit an hospital when the scabies is becoming embarrassing ( wetin my eyes see my mouth no fit explain grin) I spent 10k Sara!

So many quack medical practitioners out there endangering the life's of unsuspecting ignorant citizens!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by rukyboy(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
absingle:
There lot of quack doctors in lasuth I lost my mom due to quack doctor three month ago am still in pain

Sorry about that bro

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by ukaface(f): 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
missidy:
Honestly this is a big problem in this country, one of the reasons I'm scared of having a child in this country cos most hospitals are filled with quack nurses. My grandma was one of such nurses that didn't go to school but learnt in the hospital, she is very lucky no child died in her care as she was a delivery nurse. Ask her anything about drugs or child development, she will give wrong answers. I saw a thread where a doctor said his family didn't want him to marry his illiterate fiance, people were advising him to send her to a hospital to train as an auxiliary nurse. I was shocked, I weep for this country. If she kills someone now, they will be the same people to cry.

Nobody should be called a nurse except the person went to the university and acquired a bsc nursing degree. No wonder the health care system is a mess.
what of people that went to school of nursing

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by preciousMI1(f): 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
You'll be wasting your time trying to explain to the patient anything whatsoever as long as she has said the "nurse" has treated others and they conceived.
When it comes to conception a woman is ready to do anything, don't blame her. I hope she'll be fine

10 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by bigpicture001: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
The doctors especially caused all this happenings....

They chase patients away with too much profiteering in the hospital management..

Abeg what ever u folks in d field like say, the people have made thier choices...

5 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by clockwisereport: 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Na this kind thing dey tire me for all these private hospitals

A girl will serve you beer in a beer parlour today, tomorrow you will see her in a white gown in a hospital.

Next two weeks she don do freedom and is already treating people in her small kiosk. People will be calling her nurse.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Wick3:
You are a good man. Funny thing is these patients will still argue with you. They will be like "what does an ordinary pharmacist know?"

Those are more annoying

They don't know that even doctors make mistakes

4 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
bigpicture001:
The doctors especially caused all this happenings....

They chase patients away with too much profiteering in the hospital management..

Abeg what ever u folks in d field like say, the people have made thier choices...

A doctor must eat grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by bigdammyj: 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Okay
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Yankee101: 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Thank you very much for the work you do

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by olkin: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
While i was doing jobs for survival and the need to see my self through school, i worked in a microbiology lab and i think i understand what you mean by the sensitivity test.

Different antibiotics are tested on a cultured plate and we check which of them has more effect - and measure the clear area to calculate the effectiveness of the antibiotics.

So na all she wan give the poor lady? sad... you did your best, God knows.

5 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
missidy:

@bolded

Don't let registered nurses come for you o, getting a degree just gives an edge. There are many schools of nursing and midwifery in Nigeria and they train very lovely nurses

27 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rats, Mosquitoes Or Bed Bugs: Which Is The Most Annoying To Have In The Room? / FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines / Man Hangs Himself In Daura, Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.