Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience (18408 Views)

Growing Menace Of Poison Among Friends At Beer Parlours / Delta Quack Doctor Bursted While Performing Illegal Abortion (Video) / Shocking! Nigerian Mega Church Trains Quack Nurses In Three Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by ghettochild(m): 5:48am On Oct 17, 2021
We shd ban buying drugs without a prescription..
The other I needed tramadol..
I had to go get a doctor's prescription plus the annoying thing b say na 50ml dem dey produce...
This is a deliberate act by the pharmaceuticals in South Africa.
And if u come across the 100mg which I do see my naija brother sell...
Its either it was smuggled into the country or it's been produced specially n some folks have access to it...
Thank God say SAns dont know it usage for negative things or it can be abused otherwise...e for don cast as we all know drug abuse is a problem here in SA
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 5:56am On Oct 17, 2021
Lol, why are you resting your case? You asked a question and I responded, we were never arguing.
ukaface:
lmao
You really don't know much about school of nursing.
I rest my case
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by armyofone(m): 6:15am On Oct 17, 2021
Dozis:
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

Bless you !! Keep doing your watch dog for those who are sensible enough to understand.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 8:26am On Oct 17, 2021
HitlerGaddafi:

That's the bitter truth.. getting a degree just gives an edge over the RN and even auxiliary nurses coz fact is they do basically the same thing. A nursing degree holder has the license to open a hospital or clinic while a RN or auxiliary cannot. Anything asides that, I feel they just went to university to spend unnecessary five years studying things that just require a few weeks of training and you're good to go.
The fact that you equate auxiliary to RN shows how unintelligent you are.
RN holders only and universities graduates are all RN holder. We all wrote same qualifying exam.
Those you called auxiliaries are quacks. You don't learn nursing in few weeks.
You must either be one of those doctors hating on the progress of the nursing profession or just some random uneducated literate littering this country. In any case, get educated. You sound too dumb.
Don't ever place any RN and quack(d ones u called auxiliary) in same sentence again. I can't help your stupid.
If you haven't attended a university or school of nursing, you aren't a nurse but a cheap quack
Don't cry foul if you get killed by those "auxiliary" you so worship.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 8:37am On Oct 17, 2021
NonnyDot:

Most times pple bring in patient that are half dead by these quack nurses to these hospital and expect Miracle to happen. If you are diagnosed of any issue. Go straight to the hospital before it gets worse.
You doctors should stop training those secondary school dropouts in ur private hospital to become quacks by the advanced name of auxiliary
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by ElValiente(m): 9:13am On Oct 17, 2021
Ojikutumomiage:
Ha, one dey come treat me tomorrow sef. What do we do bayi embarassed

grin grin grin grin grin cheesy Your Monica, your soggy, your comment made my morning. grin grin grin you will be fine done worry. See a competent pharmacy. Good morning fella.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Acesexcell(m): 9:57am On Oct 17, 2021
Acesexcell:
how can someone go to hospital to be trained as an auxiliary nurse. I think our government should wake up and do something about this issue of people going to hospital to trained. It baffles me when I saw them in my village, but when I saw the same thing at fct hospitals I was shocked.
missidy:
Honestly this is a big problem in this country, one of the reasons I'm scared of having a child in this country cos most hospitals are filled with quack nurses. My grandma was one of such nurses that didn't go to school but learnt in the hospital, she is very lucky no child died in her care as she was a delivery nurse. Ask her anything about drugs or child development, she will give wrong answers. I saw a thread where a doctor said his family didn't want him to marry his illiterate fiance, people were advising him to send her to a hospital to train as an auxiliary nurse. I was shocked, I weep for this country. If she kills someone now, they will be the same people to cry.

Nobody should be called a nurse except the person went to the university and acquired a bsc nursing degree. No wonder the health care system is a mess.
how can someone go to hospital to be trained as an auxiliary nurse. I think our government should wake up and do something about this issue of people going to hospital to trained. It baffles me when I saw them in my village, but when I saw the same thing at fct hospitals I was shocked.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 10:00am On Oct 17, 2021
HitlerGaddafi:

That's the bitter truth.. getting a degree just gives an edge over the RN and even auxiliary nurses coz fact is they do basically the same thing. A nursing degree holder has the license to open a hospital or clinic while a RN or auxiliary cannot. Anything asides that, I feel they just went to university to spend unnecessary five years studying things that just require a few weeks of training and you're good to go.

I don't think they have the license to open a hospital o

But they can open a clinic, and maternity if they are double qualified

A clinic to treat only the basic illnesses, give safe mother/child counselling, family planning services, etc
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 10:03am On Oct 17, 2021
yunqdady:

The fact that you equate auxiliary to RN shows how unintelligent you are.
RN holders only and universities graduates are all RN holder. We all wrote same qualifying exam.
Those you called auxiliaries are quacks. You don't learn nursing in few weeks.
You must either be one of those doctors hating on the progress of the nursing profession or just some random uneducated literate littering this country. In any case, get educated. You sound too dumb.
Don't ever place any RN and quack(d ones u called auxiliary) in same sentence again. I can't help your stupid.
If you haven't attended a university or school of nursing, you aren't a nurse but a cheap quack
Don't cry foul if you get killed by those "auxiliary" you so worship.

Take it easy na, omo Nigerians dey provoke o cheesy cheesy

Correct with love, not with insults
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 10:09am On Oct 17, 2021
Lagusta:

Take it easy na, omo Nigerians dey provoke o cheesy cheesy

Correct with love, not with insults
I still haven't forgiven you for the badmouth of my profession in your nairaland diary
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Lagusta(m): 10:16am On Oct 17, 2021
yunqdady:

I still haven't forgiven you for the badmouth of my profession in your nairaland diary

É ma pele kee cheesy cheesy
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2021
Rexymania:
Please can you give me your number, to call in case some crazy nurses are prescribing yeye drugs to a family member of a friend. Na so them almost killed their sister and not mine early this month with crazy prescription. Dele Hospital in Ikorodu! Run away from that hospital! Na quack Nurses dey there!

I always advice people to go to hospital
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 11:05am On Oct 17, 2021
Greystone:

From my experience, I can bet that the person who wrote that prescription is not a real registered nurse.

Na Community health practitioners and lab assistants dey form nurse pass
The person was not a nurse, a quack

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 11:22am On Oct 17, 2021
9jajoseph:
OP thanks for educating we the non-Medical experts. About 2 months ago, I have been having some marks all over my body, the marks comes and go over some mins. It doesn't cause pains, just itching. I went to one nurse and she was giving me some anti infection injection and drugs. But that didn't work. I explained my condition to one chemist a week ago and he prescribed some drugs for me. Yesterday I got the drugs. But I checked the works of the drugs he gave me and all of them almost work the same thing.

1. Nefixime 400
2. Surelife Doxycycline
3. Metrozol
4. Loratadine
The first three are antibiotics, the last one is an antihistamine, that helps reduce itching.
Please visit a hospital for a proper diagnosis.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Greatzeus(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2021
BuddhaPalm:
I dey fear doctor sef, e come be nurse.

By some accounts, doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer.

They kill between 250,000 and 440,000 people in the US alone, yearly, by mistake: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

Now imagine what nurses with limited training (and less stringent admission and academic performance criteria) could do, especially in a dabo dabo country like Nigeria.
Wow shocked,are you serious? A whole US. Does it they're not properly trained or lack of equipment. This is a very strange fact. Same US the rich and powerful Nigerians run to whenever they have medical emergencies? I think your figures are exaggerated.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by alphaNomega: 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2021
Greatzeus:

Wow shocked,are you serious? A whole US. Does it they're not properly trained or lack of equipment. This is a very strange fact. Same US the rich and powerful Nigerians run to whenever they have medical emergencies? I think your figures are exaggerated.
How many Nigerians do you hear run to the US for healthcare? Nigeria medical tourism is more towards European and Indian hospitals
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by blueghost(m): 10:07am On Oct 18, 2021
Dozis:
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

God bless you.
Please don't get weary in doing good for in due time you will get your reward.

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Nozino: 3:24pm On Oct 18, 2021
HitlerGaddafi:

Where did you get this from? There’s nothing a Nurse with BNsc can do that an RN can’t in Nigeria. Besides, Nurses can not manage hospitals, they can own, anyone with money can own hospitals, but you need a Dr to carry out medical activities. Nurses irrespective of degree or diploma aren’t suppose to consult, diagnose or prescription medication in this country.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by seborrhic: 4:37pm On Oct 18, 2021
RockhouseCafe:
Just last Sunday, a neighborhood lost a grandson to quack nurse.

The boy had convulsion apparently due to unattended high fiver, hadn't eaten nada. Aunty Nurse arrived and gave injection on an empty stomach and the boy died in less than 10 mins.
Na so!
So the nurse should have waited for a convulsing child to be given rice and plantain or even mineral first before she does anything or would have rather given him a tablet rather than an injection?
You have crucified an innocent person with your ignorance.
Besides that,I bet you it's the mum or parents that were telling the accused to give the child an "injection first to stop the convulsion".The child died,inspite whatever the woman gave.
She is just the unfortunate victim of an unfortunate child circumstances because assuming she didn't do anything or delayed,they would have also blamed his death on the inaction or delayed action.
She did something and she still gets blamed!
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by seborrhic: 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2021
Noblewealth:
Easy way to locate them is when they are asked to administer drip into someone body.. the quack nurse may inject a patient in 5 different places before the matron/doctor will intervene... Those guys have done more arm than good
Even doctors and nurses sometimes have to do several trials before they secure an IV line.
It's part of the reason in advanced countries there are phlebotomists,people trained specifically to secure IV access.They are very well paid,yet they also don't always have a one try 100% success rate.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by alphaNomega: 1:10pm On Oct 19, 2021
absingle:
There lot of quack doctors in lasuth I lost my mom due to quack doctor three month ago am still in pain
Quack doctor? In lasuth? As recent as three months ago? How?
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by NoToPile: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2021
missidy:
Ok, I don't really know much about it. If those school of nursing don't have professors or experienced lectures, then they are producing quacks. I saw the way nursing students who we went to the same university suffered, that course is not an easy one at all. They never had holidays. During hols we would be flexing, while they were in the hospital or having classes. Then someone who learnt by the corner would come and be dragging nurse title with those who earned it. Worst still putting people's lives in danger.

Do you live in Nigeria, do you have anyone that attended school of nursing in Nigeria?

Those who attend school of nursing are not quacks, they are trained by qualified lecturers, at least the schools I know in Lagos. Getting admission is like war, highly competitive.

The person the OP talked about is likely a quack, those that 'learn work' or are called auxiliary nurses. Quack Private hospitals seems to be the one training them. They now open one chemist shop and everyone calls them nurse.

The nursing profession should do something quickly to curb this menance. Same thing they did to pharmacists , its happening to nurses now. Fake people everywhete

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by RockhouseCafe: 2:21pm On Oct 20, 2021
seborrhic:

Na so!
So the nurse should have waited for a convulsing child to be given rice and plantain or even mineral first before she does anything or would have rather given him a tablet rather than an injection?
You have crucified an innocent person with your ignorance.
[b]Besides that,I bet you it's the mum or parents that were telling the accused to give the child an "injection first to stop the convulsion".[/b]The child died,inspite whatever the woman gave.
She is just the unfortunate victim of an unfortunate child circumstances because assuming she didn't do anything or delayed,they would have also blamed his death on the inaction or delayed action.
She did something and she still gets blamed!

Well l may be ignorant, as you chose to put. I am not into medics, however, I know doctors are wary of giving injection for convulsion. When my kid convulsed, the doctors at general hospital were reluctant to inject, the queried repeatedly to be absolutely sure we knew what we were saying. Something that l didn't see in anty nurse's instance.

You shot yourself on the foot with the bolded. Isn't that enough reason to deal with a professional who is trained to do the right thing and not buckle under pressure from loved ones. Loved ones in hysteria will always ask you to do this or that: that's where a doctor's training for best practices come in.

I believe things would have turned out differently had the woman heed our advice to take the boy to general hospital instead of wasting precious time waiting for anty nurse.

Are you in any way suggesting that 'anty nurse' should be preferred as opposed to seeing a qualified doc?
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by UCHIHAmask: 6:58pm On Oct 20, 2021
clockwisereport:
Na this kind thing dey tire me for all these private hospitals

A girl will serve you beer in a beer parlour today, tomorrow you will see her in a white gown in a hospital.

Next two weeks she don do freedom and is already treating people in her small kiosk. People will be calling her nurse.
Why does the nurse council in Nigeria not fight these things..
So many type of nurses.
From private hospital trained to 3 years health technology school graduate to teaching hospital trained,there are also those trained in universities,why is there so many differences
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by UCHIHAmask: 7:01pm On Oct 20, 2021
Lagusta:

@bolded

Don't let registered nurses come for you o, getting a degree just gives an edge. There are many schools of nursing and midwifery in Nigeria and they train very lovely nurses
Abeg differentiate for me.
Some go university.
Some go health technology school, midwifery
Some na private hospital trained
Some na teaching hospital trained

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rats, Mosquitoes Or Bed Bugs: Which Is The Most Annoying To Have In The Room? / FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines / Man Hangs Himself In Daura, Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.