Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:24 PM

The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience (18781 Views)

Quack Medical Doctor Arrested For Killing A Patient In Nasarawa / Growing Menace Of Poison Among Friends At Beer Parlours / Delta Quack Doctor Bursted While Performing Illegal Abortion (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by 9jajoseph: 4:58pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

OP thanks for educating we the non-Medical experts. About 2 months ago, I have been having some marks all over my body, the marks comes and go over some mins. It doesn't cause pains, just itching. I went to one nurse and she was giving me some anti infection injection and drugs. But that didn't work. I explained my condition to one chemist a week ago and he prescribed some drugs for me. Yesterday I got the drugs. But I checked the works of the drugs he gave me and all of them almost work the same thing.

1. Nefixime 400
2. Surelife Doxycycline
3. Metrozol
4. Loratadine

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by cococandy(f): 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
I’m sorry what’s your argument with me?
I said nurses shouldn’t be prescribing drugs.

Is that what you’re arguing against?
Because my post didn’t say anything else or in any way imply that quack nurses are okay.

If you’re referring to prior conversation, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me that you were having that conversation with.

yunqdady:

You people not in Nigeria just don't get it. The type of nurses the OP was talking about are the quacks. No formal training but apprenticeship form of training which is illegal but those quacks are everywhere and the doctors use them for cheap labour barring the consequences. No trained RN would perform such blunder the op talked about.
It's this u same abroadians that would be supporting the quacks and call them auxiliary cos of CNA that's available in abroad. CNA program is legal and recognised abroad but nothing like that in Nigeria. Those calling themselves auxiliary perform exactly like OP has depicted. They learnt like apprentice in roadside clinics and do "freedom" and go about killing people.
If you haven't studied in a recognised accredited school of nursing or university in Nigeria, you are a quack. Nothing like auxiliary, they are all quacks just like the person in OP
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
cococandy:

You’re wrong about this.
I’ve been reading your post and many of them are spot on but this bit is wrong
I maintain my stand please!!!
Stop the dichotomous statements. It impedes the growth of the profession. Everyone attends university to become health professional but nursing isn't meant to be so because "SONs are better". Nurses do all the work and are paid peanuts cause "they spent just 3years and shouldn't earn anything like others". Yet some stupid nurses would go on talking trash on university trained nurse as if they won't eventually get their degrees. They go get the degree and see that they can benefit fully, why? They had earlier bad mouthed what they just got and no one would respect anything you talked down.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by jumpmasta(m): 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2021
truthCoder:
Adequate health care is missing in this country for the common folk.

Most real doctors and nurses have moved to UK and Saudi Arabia. If you are a good doctor and you are still in Nigeria, it is either you so much love this country or you have family commitments here. Most of the incompetents are the ones remaining.
Are you ok in the head at all ? So the Surgeons , gynaecologists , ENT Surgeons and others doing wonders here in Nigeria are all incompetent ? No wonder you will likely patronize quacks in ur street
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2021
Ok, I don't really know much about it. If those school of nursing don't have professors or experienced lectures, then they are producing quacks. I saw the way nursing students who we went to the same university suffered, that course is not an easy one at all. They never had holidays. During hols we would be flexing, while they were in the hospital or having classes. Then someone who learnt by the corner would come and be dragging nurse title with those who earned it. Worst still putting people's lives in danger.

yunqdady:

In Nigeria there are two pathways to being a Registered Nurse. One is through university(5years) and another through accredited schools of nursing(3years), just like college of education.
If not for greed and lack of foresight, the schools of nursing should not be in existence anymore but this is Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2021
cococandy:
I’m sorry what’s your argument with me?
I said nurses shouldn’t be prescribing drugs.

Is that what you’re arguing against?
Because my post didn’t say anything else or in any way imply that quack nurses are okay.

If you’re referring to prior conversation, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me that you were having that conversation with.

The post was about quackery, you talking about RNs seems as though you implied the OP was referring to RN.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by RockhouseCafe: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2021
Just last Sunday, a neighborhood lost a grandson to quack nurse.

The boy had convulsion apparently due to unattended high fiver, hadn't eaten nada. Aunty Nurse arrived and gave injection on an empty stomach and the boy died in less than 10 mins.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by yunqdady: 5:08pm On Oct 16, 2021
missidy:
Ok, I don't really know much about it. If those school of nursing don't have professors or experienced lectures, then they are producing quacks. I saw the way nursing students who we went to the same university suffered, that course is not an easy one at all. They never had holidays. During hols we would be flexing, while they were in the hospital or having classes. Then someone who learnt by the corner would come and be dragging nurse title with who earned it. Worst still putting people's lives in danger.

Seems you aren't in Nigeria.
In Nigeria SONs are legal. That was how nursing education started world over. In UK and USA, SONs still abound. University programs for nursing started much later.

SONs graduates aren't quacks.
The quacks are those who went the apprenticeship way, enroll in abattoirs called hospitals to 'learn' nursing. Sadly the law isn't active against them in Nigeria. The perpetrators (doctors) get away with it. Not minding that these people Re danger to the society.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by adaperry25: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
So today in the Pharmacy, a lady came in with a written note to buy the following antibiotics.
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

On seeing the note I wasn't comfortable, I asked her who the drugs were meant for, she said it's for herself, I then asked her who prescribed it and she said a nurse, I asked her to call the nurse that I want to speak with her to know why she wants to give all these antibiotics to one person, maybe all the bacteria in the world are having a conference in the lady's body.

Not that the the one she wrote "Ciproxin" is ciprofloxacin and Cipro infusion is also ciprofloxacin but meant for intravenous use (these nurses usually call it Ciproxin or Cipro), Ciprofloxacin and Perfloxacin are the same class of drugs with similar mechanism of action, (same Pharmacology) just some differences in their chemical structures,

so basically this "nurse" wants to give one drug in two different forms (Ciproxin tablets and Cipro infusion) with another similar drug (Perfloxacin) to one person and don't forget Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) which is another powerful antibiotic.

So the nurse was called, I introduced myself as the pharmacist that wants to sell the drugs she wrote down for a patient and that I'm not comfortable with the patient taking all these at the same time, that it could cause more harm than good, she told me that the patient ran some infection tests and that those drugs she wrote are the ones that was recommended by the lab results.

Now let me explain what happened here, the lady ran some infection tests and the laboratory scientist also ran what is called antibiotic sensitivity tests to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to use for treatment, this helps doctors to go straight and prescribe the suitable antibiotic, just like hitting the bull's eye without beating about the bush.

So this nurse told me that according to the lab results, that the lady is supposed to use all the antibiotics that showed sensitivity, at this point my jaw dropped, I tried to let her know that she's making a mistake,she now told me to give the lady only "Ciproxin" I sold only a pack of Ciprofloxacin to the lady and told her this pack will suffice for whatever treatment she wants and that has needs further evaluation, she should go to a clinic and see a proper doctor.

She said she was directed to the woman because she has a good reputation of treating people of infections and they get pregnant afterwards, so it was a case of child bearing.
She left with the drugs and came back about thirty minutes later, that the "nurse" said that what I gave her was not Ciproxin, I collected my drugs back and refunded her appropriately. God knows I tried.

Her case was not the first and it definitely would not be the last, I see it everyday, nothing stops me from selling all those drugs and pocketing the money, but I have a duty which i also swore to, to protect and educate people on the dangers of drug misuse, that "Aunty Nurse" that learnt "nursing" on the roadside instead of going to school, that did freedom instead of graduation is who people prefer to patronise instead of going to hospital to get a proper care.

As men of Honour

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by truthCoder: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
jumpmasta:

Are you ok in the head at all ? So the Surgeons , gynaecologists , ENT Surgeons and others doing wonders here in Nigeria are all incompetent ? No wonder you will likely patronize quacks in ur street

no be me go teach you how to dey read to comprehend.

How many of those don't own their private hospitals here in Nigeria?
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
I am in nigeria but I didn't school here that is why I don't really know much about the school of nursing. The government is to blame for all this nonsense, if only they would pay surprise visits to the hospital and check their certificates the same way ministry of education does to private school teachers. Those quack nurses won't exist as hospitals would be scared to hire them.
yunqdady:

Seems you aren't in Nigeria.
In Nigeria SONs are legal. That was how nursing education started world over. In UK and USA, SONs still abound. University programs for nursing started much later.

SONs graduates aren't quacks.
The quacks are those who went the apprenticeship way, enroll in abattoirs called hospitals to 'learn' nursing. Sadly the law isn't active against them in Nigeria. The perpetrators (doctors) get away with it. Not minding that these people Re danger to the society.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by highbee02: 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
A woman came for teaching practice in my school. She studied Biology and integrated Science at NCE level and has a degree certificate in Health Education (sandwich). She's working in a Dispensary & maternity center under one of the local governments in the state. I was surprised seeing this woman giving injection to a patient, I called her aside and asked "were u trained to give injection?" The reply she gave me was " she has learnt how to give injection from the nurse incharge.

The so called nurse is also a product of Health Tech.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Nsayorbung: 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
missidy:
I don't know much about school of nursing. I believe it should be under a university or even if it stands alone, then the nurses should be trained for 4 years and awarded a degree. Anything short of that is producing quacks.

You are wrong please.
The Nigerian Education System needs reforming to accommodate your claim.
School of Nursing is 3 years and you get awarded a Registered Nurse certificate after passing the board exams. Same one university Nursing students take in Yr 4 or so. They are not quacks.
I did that and then midwifery for 18 months.
I'm now enrolled in OAU's distance learning and there is a only a few new things I'm learning other than getting the certification.
The UK acknowledges the training gotten from the schools of Nursing in Nigeria.
You only have to write and pass some Nursing theory and practical examinations.

Quack nurses are those trained in the hospital by selfish doctors and in the local patent medicine stores.
Please don't call a Registered Nurse Quack.
Let the Nigerian Education System do the needful conversion which i wholly support, but till then, School of Nursing graduates ain't and will never be quacks.
Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by blazebaba(m): 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
Why be say na assasins dey end all the drug name sef...those drugs must have been a very strong drugs oh,no wonda the nurse prescribe am for am...
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by bepositive11: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

Hahahaha!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
Can you imagine, this is how they go about killing people. I don't advice people to take injections in this country especially children, if it is not drugs then I'm not taking. That was how a mother on the newborn babies thread almost lost her child after an injection.

highbee02:
A woman came for teaching practice in my school. She studied Biology and integrated Science at NCE level and has a degree certificate in Health Education (sandwich). She's working in a Dispensary & maternity center under one of the local governments in the state. I was surprised seeing this woman giving injection to a patient, I called her aside and asked "were u trained to give injection?" The reply she gave me was " she has learnt how to give injection from the nurse incharge.

The so called nurse is also a product of Health Tech.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by NonnyDot(m): 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
absingle:
There lot of quack doctors in lasuth I lost my mom due to quack doctor three month ago am still in pain

Most times pple bring in patient that are half dead by these quack nurses to these hospital and expect Miracle to happen. If you are diagnosed of any issue. Go straight to the hospital before it gets worse.
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Nozino: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
highbee02:
A woman came for teaching practice in my school. She studied Biology and integrated Science at NCE level and has a degree certificate in Health Education (sandwich). She's working in a Dispensary & maternity center under one of the local governments in the state. I was surprised seeing this woman giving injection to a patient, I called her aside and asked "were u trained to give injection?" The reply she gave me was " she has learnt how to give injection from the nurse incharge. The so called nurse is also a product of Health Tech.

This is a very common practice in Primary health centers. The lady I know of is an Anatomist. I’m not sure what she is employed as, but she wears a white and Grey uniform, calls herself a nurse, give medication and takes delivery. All in a government primary health center. Once I tried engaging her, she said she has learnt everything from the lady in charge, who is a CHEW not a nurse. No CHEW curriculum cover pregnancy and childbirth but across PHC’s all over the country, they carry out child deliveries.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by missidy: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
That is why I said I don't know much about the school of nursing, I didn't call them quacks except they are not trained by qualified lectures for a certain number of years.

Nsayorbung:

You are wrong please.
The Nigerian Education System needs reforming to accommodate your claim.
School of Nursing is 3 years and you get awarded a Registered Nurse certificate after passing the board exams. Same one university Nursing students take in Yr 4 or so. They are not quacks.
I did that and then midwifery for 18 months.
I'm now enrolled in OAU's distance learning and there is a only a few new things I'm learning other than getting the certification.
The UK acknowledges the training gotten from the schools of Nursing in Nigeria.
You only have to right and pass some Nursing theory and practical examinations.

Quack nurses are those trained in the hospital by selfish doctors and in the local patent medicine stores.
Please don't call a Registered Nurse Quack.
Let the Nigerian Education System do the needful conversion which i wholly support, but till then, School of Nursing graduates ain't and will never be quacks.
Thank you.

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Nozino: 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
missidy:
That is why I said I don't know much about the school of nursing, I didn't call them quacks except they are not trained by qualified lectures for a certain number of years.

Even in the US, nurses are trained for 2years in a community college. LVN and LPN takes even shorter time to complete and they are all nurses.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Qualer: 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
Perfloxacin 2
"Cipro infusion" 6
"Ciproxin tablets" 2
Rocephin 6.

You did well!!

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by arthurwillia(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
Well this story get as e be, the nurse might have just written all of them and asked the buyer to buy just one
Why Nigeria’s like this cipro sef, drug that we are already resistant to
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Dozis: 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2021
adaperry25:
As men of Honour
We join hands
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Niyexcity: 5:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
Most nurses are quack..
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by ayandee: 6:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
deepdeep:
I contracted scabies not long ago; unfortunately for me, I resorted to one of this so called nurses, she placed me on a three days treatment

Throughout those periods of treatment, she was injecting me daily with drips also; whenever she inject me, it feels as if I was being plug to a direct electric, there will be this mild vibration in my entire body especially in my head cry

With all the vibrations, nothing changed, I later visit an hospital when the scabies is becoming embarrassing ( wetin my eyes see my mouth no fit explain grin) I spent 10k Sara!

So many quack medical practitioners out there endangering the life's of unsuspecting ignorant citizens!
so sorry about this. For scabies, get sulphur cream from pharmacy. Rub it morning and night after bath. It will clear in one week
Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Sterope(f): 6:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Let's put the blame on some the useless doctors in Nigeria. They give them legitimacy by training them up and down. The body regulating nurses in Nigeria are not doing enough to fight the system.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by funshint(m): 6:21pm On Oct 16, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
Honestly the drug abuse issue is another pointer to the endemic poverty - of both mind and material.

Rather than spend N5,000 to buy registration card and get a consultation with Doctors. A Nigerian will rather buy cocktail of tablets from Aboki that carries drugs in suitcase.

When you ask them, they'll say - this one no strong or I need something way go 'flush' my body.

If you try to advise, they'll obviously respond with indifference.

Our parents had a crucial role to play, because majority of us grew up with trial and error medications parents.
Do you blame the people...why should people pay something as high as #5,000 as consultancy fee just to see a doctor. Let's be realistic here for once.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by mrkhaynoni: 6:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
MrPresent:
We see cases like this everyday. Most patients keep having reoccurring health challenges month after month due to "He or she came highly recommended".

You tell them the truth. The patients call you be bad.
You tell them the truth, they tell you their so called medical practitioner told them to ignore you and follow their own.

I gave a Mother with a Sickle Cell Child something that will greatly help your sickly child 100%. She called me next day and said her doctor told her to ignore my own and keep taking his own.

Mind you. She has been taking the doctor's own since the child was born yet the child has become a regular customer at his hospital month after month since he was born.

Somebody should help me tell that woman that her doctor is a good business man Incase she doesn't know.

If I may ask, what did you prescribe for the sickle cell patient?

Re: The Menace Of Quack Nurses, My Experience by Noblewealth(m): 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
Easy way to locate them is when they are asked to administer drip into someone body.. the quack nurse may inject a patient in 5 different places before the matron/doctor will intervene... Those guys have done more arm than good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Monkey Pox As Discussed Today By Doctors [video] / Important Health Benefits Of Cashew Nuts You Should Know / Lady Loses Friend At LUTH Because There Was No Bed Space And Consultants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.