Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom (15893 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by tunnytox(m): 4:27pm On May 31, 2011
snowdrops:

Oh boy you wicked o cheesy

He's more than wicked! grin grin
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by olapluto(m): 4:45pm On May 31, 2011
Like someone already said, no matter how hard it is, those who will make it here will make it big. I am another hustling student here in UK. It is hard, but I believe if you're on the right course and you keep your heads down, you will succeed here and break through to the top. UK is not like Yankee or any other place. Here, they pride hard work. In UK, you hardly hit it big instantly. You have to start from the begining. The UK awards excellence, and you can quote me on this anywhere. What happens to many Nigerians is that we lose our steam on getting here and we blow average. The crux of the matter is that you have to be extra-ordinary to break into the proper UK job market. I will like to know how many people here on NL got 1st class in a proper course and didnt get an offer on graduation. I'm just curious. 4 of my friends got job offers from big construstion firms on the day they came to sign off from the uni. I think being in a top uni also helps. If you do not get a job, at least you're likely to get a research offer especially those in science and engineering. The prospects are big if you're on the right course, in the right place, with the right atitude and self discipline. For two years in a row, I can say 80% of Nigerians who finished from my uni are doing great. A good proportion are on paid PHD, while a few have been 'snapped' up by top UK companies. Perhaps we need to stop going to the South Banks and the UELs and actually work harder to get into the LSEs and Imperials if Ox-Bridge wont take us.

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 31, 2011
ASUU is always on strike
Our universities dont have enough facilities
Lecturers force themselves on female students
etc and u say we are nigerians going abroad to study?
Weigh your questions again
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by OmoTier1(m): 5:08pm On May 31, 2011
I think  most Nigerians that come to the UK for MSc/MEng often fail to take into consideration the fact that they have a 20% chance of getting a job after graduation simply 'cos they would not be able to pass security clearance/vetting which often accompany MEng/MSc job offers in the UK. Those that often get job offers in MSc/MEng usually are placed on security probation for almost 2years without thier knowledge and very few companies are willing to go the extra mile to do that unless they know you have what they are looking for.

The recession has further made it worse as waivers for SC/vetting is seldomly granted to these companies these days, hence the reason they are not so keen on recruiting them.

Another aspect is most nigerians coming to study MSc in UK go for 'mini-skirt' MSc which most home student also go for. Hence thier chances of getting a job becomes very slim.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by adconline(m): 5:37pm On May 31, 2011
[b]Like someone already said, no matter how hard it is, those who will make it here will make it big. I am another hustling student here in UK. It is hard, but I believe if you're on the right course and you keep your heads down, you will succeed here and break through to the top. UK is not like Yankee or any other place. Here, they pride hard work. In UK, you hardly hit it big instantly. You have to start from the begining. The UK awards excellence, and you can quote me on this anywhere. What happens to many Nigerians is that we lose our steam on getting here and we blow average. The crux of the matter is that you have to be extra-ordinary to break into the proper UK job market. I will like to know how many people here on NL got 1st class in a proper course and didnt get an offer on graduation. I'm just curious. 4 of my friends got job offers from big construstion firms on the day they came to sign off from the uni. I think being in a top uni also helps. If you do not get a job, at least you're likely to get a research offer especially those in science and engineering. The prospects are big if you're on the right course, in the right place, with the right atitude and self discipline. For two years in a row, I can say 80% of Nigerians who finished from my uni are doing great. A good proportion are on paid PHD, while a few have been 'snapped' up by top UK companies. Perhaps we need to stop going to the South Banks and the UELs and actually work harder to get into the LSEs and Imperials if Ox-Bridge wont take us. [/b]

Well noted, but how many of your friends were self-sponsored? Most Naija folks would love to be in LSEs and Ofords of the world, but who is going to pay for that? Dont tell me our parents, because over 80% of Naija students in UK got moral and spiritual support from their parents not financial; cos their parents could not afford it.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by kunlaxo: 5:53pm On May 31, 2011
Thanks to you guys for pouring out your mind on the reality and the truth about this UK Schooling,this came at the right time i was actually considering the same idea of MBA in UK but  seeing all these disadvantages and some personal inquiry made by myself, i have to choose the alternatives as i have only this life to live cant kill myself,the huzzling and buzzling of students in London is hell and no job guarantee is killing, i just cant risk my job and later be regretting, no way thanks to u guys love u and i wish u the best in your UK.

further more, those who are in uk who may be thinking of coming home,home is SWEET as you will become king,people will like your YOU AND RESPECT U base on your exposure and brain, please ensure you have secured a job in Nigeria before coming,offcourse employers here (gbadun) love MBA, msc, from uk and are ready to pay you HUGE CASH, just search the best company related your field and u will be called.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by 1soul(m): 6:00pm On May 31, 2011
Wow! You guys have all been great, thanks for the priceless advice given me, i'm seriously enriched, Reading in between your lines I see hope for a hard & smart working individual who is focussed on his/her goal, I think i'm ready to take the step forward, I'm ready to take the chance, nothing good comes easy and like somebody said here "opportunity and chances varies". please can anyone help give an insight about student life in aberdeen as regards cost of living and casual employment. Once again thank you all for the wonderful contribution.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by newdeal(m): 6:05pm On May 31, 2011
With the recently announced school fees regime, I wonder why someone will want to leave naija to come here without carefully weighing all the pros and cons.

Ultimately, the choice in this matter lies with the individual involved, but I think there is need for a lot of orientation for our people who want to come over for one thing or the other, because the reality is far from the juicy tales being bandied about by fantacists and the various 'visa agents'. Such tales have lured so many to fly out of the country, without proper planning through all kinds of illegitimate routes to come and reduce themselves to subhhumans in jand.

Last Friday [27th] around 8pm, a young man [of African descent, going by his complexion]got knocked down by a reckless driver in Lewisham, he was badly injured and bleeding but when passers-by made attempt to call ambulance, the guy got up and ran away into the night, with all the pains and bruises. The only explanation for that kind of strange behaviour will be that 'his legs are not fully on ground here'.

Its so sad and painful the things we put ourselves into in the name of going abroad!!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by 9ja4eva: 6:26pm On May 31, 2011
Nice post @ poster

Many people don't know the truth about coming abroad.When they come and see it becomes hard to swallow.
The sad truth is that no where is Rosy
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by AjanleKoko: 6:54pm On May 31, 2011
ola_pluto:

Like someone already said, no matter how hard it is, those who will make it here will make it big. I am another hustling student here in UK. It is hard, but I believe if you're on the right course and you keep your heads down, you will succeed here and break through to the top. UK is not like Yankee or any other place. Here, they pride hard work. In UK, you hardly hit it big instantly. You have to start from the begining. The UK awards excellence, and you can quote me on this anywhere. What happens to many Nigerians is that we lose our steam on getting here and we blow average. The crux of the matter is that you have to be extra-ordinary to break into the proper UK job market. I will like to know how many people here on NL got 1st class in a proper course and didnt get an offer on graduation. I'm just curious. 4 of my friends got job offers from big construstion firms on the day they came to sign off from the uni. I think being in a top uni also helps. If you do not get a job, at least you're likely to get a research offer especially those in science and engineering. The prospects are big if you're on the right course, in the right place, with the right atitude and self discipline. For two years in a row, I can say 80% of Nigerians who finished from my uni are doing great. A good proportion are on paid PHD, while a few have been 'snapped' up by top UK companies. Perhaps we need to stop going to the South Banks and the UELs and actually work harder to get into the LSEs and Imperials if Ox-Bridge wont take us.

Reasonable comments.
One thing though. In my view, it's usually not the brilliant chaps from Nigeria that have an opportunity to try for UK education opportunities.
I.e. people whose parents can afford to pay for education abroad are not necessarily smart enough, so they end up average in the UK. That's like half of the market.  The other half are the guys who went abroad to do a masters after a mediocre or average first degree. Usually this is MBA, and an MBA from South Bank or RGU might not guarantee you anything really.

Most very bright Nigerians who go to the UK probably get some sort of scholarship at postgraduate level, after graduating first class or second upper from a Naija school. They usually go to top schools like Imperial, LSE, Manchester, or even oxbridge. And they do well there as well, and have little problem getting something. There may or may not be exceptions.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by moremi2008(m): 6:58pm On May 31, 2011
A word is enough for the wise. Don't leave your job to get a master's in the UK unless you have a scholarship or have saved up enough money to pay for the degree and pay for your living expenses. I have friends  from well-to-do families that were sponsored by their parents to attend top unis in the UK and they could not find jobs there and had to come back home. These are people who didn't work for one second while studying and attended top schools. If you think you're going to find a job with your 2:1 degree from Open University, then you're just asking for trouble. You're better off trying to get into a better school in South Africa than wasting your money on diploma mills in the UK.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Laughter1(m): 8:06pm On May 31, 2011
Just to correct the OP. PSW VISA will be phased out in April 2012 and not April 2011.

Now to my 2 cents. With Tier 1 General (formerly Highly skilled Migrant programme) being closed in April 11 and PSW Visa phasing out in Aril 12, the chance of a prospective student getting into the UK labour market after graduation is just too slim. You can only get a company to file for a work permit for you and except you possess extra ordinary personal and intellectual talents mehn no chance, If you're not prepared to return to Nigeria straight after your studies. Then go somewhere else. US/Canada/NZ
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by aieromon(m): 8:07pm On May 31, 2011
Inasmuch as i appreciate the advice placed in this thread,i will still support anybody who is determined to make something out of his life by getting a MSc in the U.K.I see it as a stepping stone and not a road to riches and am strictly an advocate for fulfilment of career.Get your MSc and get out,period!
However,for those who see the postgraduate degree as an escape route for unemployment and poverty of mind,goodluck in your endeavor.

N.B I have never liked the U.K for any reason but i'm pleased that the education system has been able to empower three close friends of mine who got the kpali and moved on to conquer the world.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by likeithot(f): 8:35pm On May 31, 2011
My MSC experience so far has been wonderful, i have learnt a lot and met lots of intelligent people.

Its really been challenging and you have to work really hard.

Its not really easy to say you wanna fund your studies by looking for a part- time job in this country, its almost impossible. Make sure you have all your funds available before coming.

no matter how well things work in this country, no place like home o, i miss Naija plenty
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Marinah(f): 9:48pm On May 31, 2011
To be candid, it's quite difficult especially when you are self-sponsored.
I would advice those aiming for foreign certificates to try other European universities,few are still tuition-free but majority of them are not, at least
that's alot better than UK universities especially with the upsurge in tuition fees and visa factor, even the high cost of living.
Sometimes, I pity my Nigerian friends in uni,, they have to work to the limit to pay their rent, to feed themselves, etc , 'm talking about those who are sponsoring themselves and at the end of the day,, they end up dozing during lectures cos they are tired and can't help it.
Other peeps from high-profile backgrounds don't really stress much afterall there parents are money bag !
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by candylips(m): 10:06pm On May 31, 2011
e no easy to be student for uk these days o
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by olawonder(m): 10:07pm On May 31, 2011
Go it 'my way' you might be lucky...
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by graciousme(f): 10:09pm On May 31, 2011
some applicants to uk schools do not really intend to go for academic purpose,they just use the student visa as a means to get to uk, some courses are better studied in the uk for postgraduate levels,doing an msc here in nigeria without having equiped laboratories is just adding to the bandwagon of unskilled science graduates. if you have a job in naija,u can take a study leave for for msc and come back to your job while waiting for your new msc to fetch u a better job or promotion. the educational system needs to be improved and the economy greatly improved so that 10,000pounds will not run into 2.5millions in nigeria money. if the value of our money was good enough the fees in schools abroad wont be neck breaking! and u get good quality of education and exposure in your career.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by muami(m): 10:29pm On May 31, 2011
ola_pluto:

Thanks for such informed comment. The problem with most Nigerians who complain about how the UK has bad prospects for students is that they are below average and deliberately so. To make it in the UK, you have to work hard, real hard and hardwork is not something you find in the dictionaries of most Nigerian students. My advice is: if you are just looking at studying in the UK simply as a way of escaping Nigeria, then you better think twice. However, if you want to study because you have a clear idea of where the studies would take you to and you are ready to work hard at getting there, then a UK education can give you the edge.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 31, 2011
I think u are right but what can we do ? Many Nigerians are just tired of staying here.

You can look up this post and reply if you have interest
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=419575.msg8411883#msg8411883
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by osajojo(m): 11:16pm On May 31, 2011
Am a fresh graduate preparing for nysc by june while in school I started a small computer and satellite business gradually with the help of the internet I started doing importation business with an electronic company in china. Before now my desire to study abroad was unaltered but now I have realized that I can make enuf money doing business in nigeria and even spend holidays abroad it have that amount pple pay for sch fee abroad I can tripple it in business in 12month. So now I don't see why I right thinking young graduate would save 2 to 3 million just to make a start in another country for me its planlessness. Look around ur community that amount can start a viable thing to help u and you community. For me I would only go abroad when am confused and don't want to ashamed. Nigeria is a great country now and always discover it inward
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 01, 2011
I know if not for the Language barrier, there are other countries one can consider to study at besides UK and US. The situation for foreign students in the US is eQUALLY BAD. Sweden for example has good universities. Germany also, South Africa is there too! Nigerian tertiary educational institutions are in a bad state to be honest!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:02am On Jun 01, 2011
i don't encourage any nigerian to go to study in the uk or us if your goal is to get a job over there after graduating, cause the odds are more than against u!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by notmyname: 1:14am On Jun 01, 2011
Everyone has a different story when they come to the UK, majority might not get a good job after paying thousands of pounds for tuition, accommodation and feeding for one year.
I loved my Msc experience, met so many people around the world, got my dream job few weeks after i graduated, saved up for a house, got a car and am getting married to my dream partner in some few weeks all happened in just 2yrs. I love naija and will always go back but i am leaving my dream snd am not sure i will personally would have accomplished a lot without the Msc (and ofcourse God)

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by pharuk: 1:21am On Jun 01, 2011
notmyname:

Everyone has a different story when they come to the UK, majority might not get a good job after paying thousands of pounds for tuition, accommodation and feeding for one year.
I loved my Msc experience, met so many people around the world, got my dream job few weeks after i graduated, saved up for a house, got a car and am getting married to my dream partner in some few weeks all happened in just 2yrs. I love naija and will always go back but i am leaving my dream snd am not sure i will personally would have accomplished a lot without the Msc (and ofcourse God)

Seconded!!

In as much as it is good to seek opinion, follow whats in your heart, people will always discourage you and tell you it cant be done simply because it dint work for them
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ono(m): 1:22am On Jun 01, 2011
Alright. How about folks who go over there for a kind of education ''highgrade''. Their company can give them study leave up to some 18 months - without pay, and then they come back to their work back at home.

The other day, a technician friend of mine at my workplace said he ''will not mind going to the UK to do both undergraduate/postgraduate courses/programme'' - could take some 4 years, and then come back home and be better recognised by the company. He's in his late 30s. The only snag here is that the company ''cannot guaranty'' his employment (after staying away for so long) when he gets back. His wife works as an engineer in an oil coy in Port Harcourt. We're not sure if she's willing to help my guy actualise his dream. What will you advise such a person who desires UK (obodo oyibo) education and who seemingly have some capacity to pay?
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by DisGuy: 1:55am On Jun 01, 2011
ono:

Alright. How about folks who go over there for a kind of education ''highgrade''. Their company can give them study leave up to some 18 months - without pay, and then they come back to their work back at home.

The other day, a technician friend of mine at my workplace said he ''will not mind going to the UK to do both undergraduate/postgraduate courses/programme'' - could take some 4 years, and then come back home and be better recognised by the company. He's in his late 30s. The only snag here is that the company ''cannot guaranty'' his employment (after staying away for so long) when he gets back. His wife works as an engineer in an oil coy in Port Harcourt. We're not sure if she's willing to help my guy actualise his dream. What will you advise such a person who desires UK (obodo oyibo) education and who seemingly have some capacity to pay?

it will be great for him, though not too sure why need needs undergraduate education again, if he is experienced and has HND or some
The most challenging aspect apart from the funding (tuition, accommodation and living expenses) is the very competitive job market

But if he can pay and he has a fair chance of getting a role with his previous employer upon his then better for him really. He might even discussed the option of doing a work placement at his previous company that why he'll still be visible to them

but 4 years no be beans o- Buckingham does 2 year fast track undergraduate
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Redman44(m): 4:53am On Jun 01, 2011
I've read all the posts on this thread and I've come to one conclusion. We all have different destinies. Some Nigerians are destined to live in the UK after completing their studies while others have to return to Nigeria. It is true that that the immigration rules have been toughened by the current British Government but we all need to realize that another Government will come into power one day. The only thing that is constant in this world is change. I won't advice people not to come and study in the UK or to hustle. People are dynamic and what works for someone might not work for you. It is all about using what we have to get what we want in a society where discrimination against non whites still exists. There are still opportunities in the UK for those who search for them. There are people that came to the UK to hustle. They started out as cleaners and did all kinds of odd jobs but they're company owners today. They didnt come to study initially but after securing their papers, they now went to study. There is a danger in looking at this topic from one angle. Dele Momodu ( OVATION) actually started his Magazine in England when he was here as an Asylum Seeker. He was trying to escape Abacha's government and he was granted Asylum in Britain. The first editions of OVATION were sold on the streets of South East London. So what am I saying? We all have different destinies.

If you want to study in Britain with the intention of going back home, it is a nice idea. If you want to remain in England and hustle it out, it is also cool. There are lot of opportunities for business in England which we Nigerians ignore. The Asians are doing well because they're operating from the business angle in Europe. They're not interested in vying for office jobs with the Brits ( They know their chances are slim ), so they level things up by doing business. They've taken over the Post Offices and are also buying into the phone companies gradually. They have numerous restaurants etc. Africans are still blind and not seeing that entrepreneurship is the way out for them. Cater for your community and in the long run, you'll cater for the world. Cheers.

www.twitter.com/ariyatoday
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by DisGuy: 5:40am On Jun 01, 2011
Redman44:

If you want to study in Britain with the intention of going back home, it is a nice idea. If you want to remain in England and hustle it out, it is also cool. There are lot of opportunities for business in England which we Nigerians ignore. The Asians are doing well because they're operating from the business angle in Europe. They're not interested in vying for office jobs with the Brits ( They know their chances are slim ), so they level things up by doing business. They've taken over the Post Offices and are also buying into the phone companies gradually. They have numerous restaurants etc. Africans are still blind and not seeing that entrepreneurship is the way out for them. Cater for your community and in the long run, you'll cater for the world. Cheers.

www.twitter.com/ariyatoday

It is not cool if you haven't got your papers to hustle, the stress and money used in dodging the system better spent looking for a job in Nigeria,
You also have to remember most immigrant specifically African immigrants are not coming with cash, just about half pay their full fess upon entry hence they immediate focus is on education or work. the Asians are established, have better networks, good knowledge of the 'system' and they actually manufacture things in their home country that is in demand in the UK

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

41 Nigerians Deported From Germany, Switzerland, Four Others / FG Moves To Avert Looming Shutdown Of Airline Operations / U.S.A And CANADA, Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.