Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom (15892 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by DisGuy: 5:42am On Jun 01, 2011
Every country is just looking after its own, the recession has taken its toll, even before the recession the graduate labour market is fiercely competitive
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 8:09am On Jun 01, 2011
Dis Guy:

Every country is just looking after its own, the recession has taken its toll, even before the recession the graduate labour market is fiercely competitive

This post nicely summarized the whole debate.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by debosky(m): 8:39am On Jun 01, 2011
Lots of good advice here; I'll just say this.

Don't make this type of decision in haste - weigh your current circumstances clearly and examine the good and bad stories others have experienced abroad. Make sure you don't go under any illusions - get all the information you can and digest it properly.

In the end, your 'gut' or your 'mind' gives you a certain direction - don't ignore it, but don't depend on it in isolation. Weigh your gut feeling against the evidence you have and take a decision.

Never get too proud to admit you've made a mistake and change direction. Many people out of 'shame' waste their productive years instead of realising things aren't working abroad and moving back home.

Most important of all, don't lean on your own understanding alone and seek divine direction.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ono(m): 9:11am On Jun 01, 2011
@debosky,
Ol boy, where have you been all these years?
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ok2(m): 9:32am On Jun 01, 2011
I feel compelled to make a contribution here. My advice would be to keep your options open. If the UK has become too difficult “to penetrate”, what about elsewhere?

I, for instance, studied in Europe. I could not have afforded to study my course in the UK – plainly too expensive and I lacked the means. It meant I had to learn an European language (when I got there), but after which I was almost treated like a king and completed my studies on scholarship. The advantage of not having many blacks in Europe means that the few who are there and who are doing well (not chasing quick bucks) end up being seen as kings (you know what they say about one eyed person in a land of the blind). Can you imagine the Nigerian ambassador coming to my graduation without invitation, because such occasions were so rare and he was so proud?

So I’ve got to the UK through the “back door”, because they did not have an option but to accept my qualification, since I studied in an EU country (and along the way acquired EU kpali – but that’s another story).

So I would say, also have the courage to consider the less trodden path – it has potential to pay off big time! Good luck
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ono(m): 9:59am On Jun 01, 2011
ok.:

I feel compelled to make a contribution here. My advice would be to keep your options open. If the UK has become too difficult “to penetrate”, what about elsewhere?

I, for instance, studied in Europe. I could not have afforded to study my course in the UK – plainly too expensive and I lacked the means. It meant I had to learn an European language (when I got there), but after which I was almost treated like a king and completed my studies on scholarship. The advantage of not having many blacks in Europe means that the few who are there and who are doing well (not chasing quick bucks) end up being seen as kings (you know what they say about one eyed person in a land of the blind). Can you imagine the Nigerian ambassador coming to my graduation without invitation, because such occasions were so rare and he was so proud?

So I’ve got to the UK through the “back door”, because they did not have an option but to accept my qualification, since I studied in an EU country (and along the way acquired EU kpali – but that’s another story).

So I would say, also have the courage to consider the less trodden path – it has potential to pay off big time! Good luck

Interesting!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ololufemi: 11:42am On Jun 01, 2011
Good Topic

I just think that nothing beats getting a good sound qualitative education. It stands you out globally.

I do not mean the polytechnics that have just become universities especially in the UK.

Consider schools within the top range of the business community globally (Bloomberg, Financial Times, Business week, Forbes etc)

A lot of the universities in the top range amongst the group such as Imperial, Manchester Warwick, Aston, LSE, LBS-UK, Cambridge, Birmingham etc have affiliation and are recognised globally via AACSB.

Also you need to consider the Alumni of the schools. This will aid you in your future careers. I believe this plays a strong part in your career.

Imagine a scenario where you meet with students who attended your pry or secondary school. You either come across as a mentor or mentee and naturally have a preferance relating to them (this is evident amongst kings College Old boys and glaringly visible in most organisations).

I also believe the norm that events around the world will always revolve and repeat themselves again.

There was a time when our forefathers who had foresight travelled to study abroad. Even some of our parents who had the opportunity did the same and it surely did pay off.

I also consider the argument that if you've got a job, you should hold on to it. But for how long?

Your employers will expect you to develop yourself professionally to be able to add value to the organisation.

Keep in mind that some younger dude who was fortunate to attend LSE or Harvard may get a juicer position and dictate to you.

China used to be a domesticated economy but has now become a global force to reckon with. Even Harvard Business School has a regional study centre in China considering the integration going on in the world.

The need for qualitative education is important. The benefits may not be immediate but it surely will pay off.

I want to believe that a foreign degree at a qualitative school will ultimately be of benefit though it may not be immediate.

nigeria will not remain the same in the next few years (at least five years).

Once power and infrastructure improves, opportunity will definitely be created.

Any contrary views, I am open to learn from other.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 12:12pm On Jun 01, 2011
ololufemi:

Good Topic

I just think that nothing beats getting a good sound qualitative education. It stands you out globally.

I do not mean the polytechnics that have just become universities especially in the UK.

[b]Consider schools within the top range of the business community globally (Bloomberg, Financial Times, Business week, Forbes etc)

A lot of the universities in the top range amongst the group such as Imperial, Manchester Warwick, Aston, LSE, LBS-UK, Cambridge, Birmingham etc have affiliation and are recognised globally via AACSB.[/b]Also you need to consider the Alumni of the schools. This will aid you in your future careers. I believe this plays a strong part in your career.

Imagine a scenario where you meet with students who attended your pry or secondary school. You either come across as a mentor or mentee and naturally have a preferance relating to them (this is evident amongst kings College Old boys and glaringly visible in most organisations).

I also believe the norm that events around the world will always revolve and repeat themselves again.

There was a time when our forefathers who had foresight travelled to study abroad. Even some of our parents who had the opportunity did the same and it surely did pay off.

I also consider the argument that if you've got a job, you should hold on to it. But for how long?

Your employers will expect you to develop yourself professionally to be able to add value to the organisation.

Keep in mind that some younger dude who was fortunate to attend LSE or Harvard may get a juicer position and dictate to you.

China used to be a domesticated economy but has now become a global force to reckon with. Even Harvard Business School has a regional study centre in China considering the integration going on in the world.

The need for qualitative education is important. The benefits may not be immediate but it surely will pay off.

I want to believe that a foreign degree at a qualitative school will ultimately be of benefit though it may not be immediate.

nigeria will not remain the same in the next few years (at least five years).

Once power and infrastructure improves, opportunity will definitely be created.

Any contrary views, I am open to learn from other.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
How many of us can afford to study in those top universities u mentioned?
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by skfa1: 12:18pm On Jun 01, 2011
You read am, you hear am. Do not leave your job to travel to UK.  In 2004 I knew Lawyers,Accountant and Doctors that work in cake factory in the UK.

I as a student, I went through alot for so many years, I can tell you that is not easy at all. I work very hard from 7pm to 7am,straight to school from work then back to work.I did this throughout my undergraduate.My thanks to God, at the end, I graduated. My brother no be small thing o.

My advise is that, make sure that you have your full school fee before you travel out of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ololufemi: 12:55pm On Jun 01, 2011
@ justwise

I used to think that way until I got enlightened by a friend's personal experience.

He started working at a one of the telcos in about 2003.

Every month he saved a minimum of N50,000.00 (start up).

As he progressed in his career, he was able to save more. This dude got to the point were he was able to save at least a N800,000.00 to N1,200,000.00 a year (2006). Remember as he progressed in his career, he continued to save more.

The funds were kept in a totally fixed income investment that yielded on the average 6% to10%.

Also did some Nospecto investment in 2006 with his interest from previous years but kept his principal in the fixed income investments which he was lucky with grin grin grin

He is from an average Nigerian family but he determined in his mind that he would study at one of the best universities in the world.

He devoted his time to study for the GRE/GMAT examination. He kept up with this preparation since 2006.

Sat for the GMAT (Blasted it) Score was 700 and 760. In 2008, he had close to N6,000,000.00 in his account. Folks helped him out with some cash too to boost it up.

Applied to those schools I mentioned earlier and got part scholarship from some.

Went to Harvard and finished his programme. Graduation is this week.

As I speak to you, the dude has an offer from Boston Consulting Group (did his internship there). He intends to work there for a few years to pay off his loan and come back home to Naija.

From his story, I realised that things do not come easily for people but if you stirve for it with patience and perseverence, it will surely turn out good.

The key thing was that he sacrificed a lot of luxuries for his current state which I think comes with being disciplined (at some point, his friends thought he was being a nerd and stupid).

Even though he bought a car, he used occasionally during workdays and only during weekends to get him libraries and during the rainy days.

He sold the car in a good condition for almost the price he bought it.

No matter how you currently are, you can always make things better by being focused or disciplined.

One thing he told me was that he got an advice from someone that there is nobody that secures an admission to Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Strern, Stanford and will not get funding for it.

Let's learn from such success stories begin to believe in them.

God lead us aright as we help ourselves.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by AjanleKoko: 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2011
ololufemi:

@ justwise

I used to think that way until I got enlightened by a friend's personal experience.

He started working at a one of the telcos in about 2003.

Every month he saved a minimum of N50,000.00 (start up).

As he progressed in his career, he was able to save more. This dude got to the point were he was able to save at least a N800,000.00 to N1,200,000.00 a year (2006). Remember as he progressed in his career, he continued to save more.

The funds were kept in a totally fixed income investment that yielded on the average 6% to10%.

Also did some Nospecto investment in 2006 with his interest from previous years but kept his principal in the fixed income investments which he was lucky with grin grin grin

He is from an average Nigerian family but he determined in his mind that he would study at one of the best universities in the world.

He devoted his time to study for the GRE/GMAT examination. He kept up with this preparation since 2006.

Sat for the GMAT (Blasted it) Score was 700 and 760. In 2008, he had close to N6,000,000.00 in his account. Folks helped him out with some cash too to boost it up.

Applied to those schools I mentioned earlier and got part scholarship from some.

Went to Harvard and finished his programme. Graduation is this week.

As I speak to you, the dude has an offer from Boston Consulting Group (did his internship there). He intends to work there for a few years to pay off his loan and come back home to Naija.

From his story, I realised that things do not come easily for people but if you stirve for it with patience and perseverence, it will surely turn out good.

The key thing was that he sacrificed a lot of luxuries for his current state which I think comes with being disciplined (at some point, his friends thought he was being a nerd and silly).

Even though he bought a car, he used occasionally during workdays and only during weekends to get him libraries and during the rainy days.

He sold the car in a good condition for almost the price he bought it.

No matter how you currently are, you can always make things better by being focused or disciplined.

One thing he told me was that he got an advice from someone that there is nobody that secures an admission to Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Strern, Stanford and will not get funding for it.

Let's learn from such success stories begin to believe in them.

God lead us aright as we help ourselves.

Cheers

Good story.
That's how life should be. Give it 100%, or as my father would say, choose when to fast and when to eat sahul. One must surely follow the other.
These days, Nigerians mostly play life like a lottery, and expect to turn up winning numbers every time.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by glowithdan(m): 7:52pm On Jun 01, 2011
97% of MSc graduates in the UK still finds it difficult to cope with the economic situation here, while some hit at it once and gain stability! It has always been a story of different folks and different stories, I would love to offer a simple way out, or rather, call it an advice!

The Nigerian Haulage Business, is my next escape route now.
permit my personal story. Before now, as a master's student in the UK, I have utilized every single opportunity that comes my way, in that, I have involved myself in the electronics business which has given me an insight into other areas of making use of the post-study visa (which has eventually met it's Waterloo, come April next year).

The transport business in Nigeria is another option- If one can gather enough cash, get a bus or truck and lease it out. While it makes returns for you every month, you can still run around, looking for a career job, thus, removing the boarding, stress and tension of survival!!

On a personal note, there is no need staying back for those "gradual life killing jobs" which are not easily available, thus wasting your time, instead of facing reality.
It's a pity things has turn out this bad (UK), with the present economic brouhaha, but that should not keep one back, neither the shame of facing the reality of life back home- It's batter now, than letter.

On a personal note once more, It's better to leave now, which makes it easier in case a return in the future is required, because the system takes record of your productiveness while in the UK (for post study visa holders).

Life is all about planing, and planing, we as humans will continue doing.
Sharing your fears, ideas and goals with like minded people is another way of reducing the stress and boarding of the economic situation here in the UK!!

Enough of the talking, it's time for my planing back home for my wedding, and my staying back only to return for personal business again!

The post study visa of two years is just like two months, make use of it!!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by phraoh(m): 11:43am On Jun 02, 2011
Please Nairalanders,i love this topic.Am due to start my Masters in the University of Portsmouth Business school,i will like to ask those in UK,if its a good school.Also i will be applying for my visa in June,some people are mentioning something about English requirements and am confused as i was before,cos i asked the school and they said that i have an unconditional offer,so require no other academic requirements.It will be pertinent to note that i have paid my full tuition and also have an accommodation over there.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by KennyG6(m): 12:19pm On Jun 02, 2011
phraoh:

Please Nairalanders,i love this topic.Am due to start my Masters in the University of Portsmouth Business school,i will like to ask those in UK,if its a good school.Also i will be applying for my visa in June,some people are mentioning something about English requirements and am confused as i was before,cos i asked the school and they said that i have an unconditional offer,so require no other academic requirements.It will be pertinent to note that i have paid my full tuition and also have an accommodation over there.

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/portsmouthbusinessschool/research/raeresults/filetodownload,93382,en.pdf
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by tyough: 12:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
I have read through many peoples comments and I must say this

1. In life, you make your choices, it is neither easy in Nigeria nor UK
whether you stay in Nigeria or you go to the UK, you will have to hustle to succeed.
It is about your mindset. Yes ofcourse things are not easy in the UK, but I can say the process is rewarding as it builds you mentally for more difficult things you might face later in life. (same way the hustle in nigeria builds you as well)

2. When people make statements like "your mates in Nigeria have gone ahead of you" to me that makes no sense (is it the car they are driving, the house they bought or what?) because it just takes one day for your circumstances to change (e.g Goodluck Jonathan). It just take one day for the opportunity to come and if you are prepared to grab it, your life can turn around 180 degrees and all of a sudden you will overtake all those "so called mates", bottom line we are all on different tracks/paths in life, while some are on a slope now others are on a flat road and other at a bend. so there is no basis for comparing yourselves, it is not about UK or Nigeria.

3. If your dream is to get quality education and add value to your country in the future, GO AHEAD, just have it at the back of your mind that the difference with Nigeria and UK is that there are more black people in Nigeria and Smoother roads or more sophisticated technology in the UK.

4. In terms of Jobs, it is not by location but by grace, there are still a lot of people in Nigeria that graduated many years ago and they are still looking for jobs, same in the UK, while others had a job in Nigeria, resigned and went to the UK and still got one there. It is simply by grace not power nor intelligence nor planning nor wisdom.

All that matters is that we all reach our destinations at the end, irrespective of which route you find yourself on now, no matter how difficult it seems, whether you are in Nigeria, UK or Honolulu, just keep your eyes on God and your dreams will be fulfilled. One day you will tell the story.

Ty
http://me2igetblog.
www.standnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by phraoh(m): 12:43pm On Jun 02, 2011
Kenny_G:

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/portsmouthbusinessschool/research/raeresults/filetodownload,93382,en.pdf
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php

Kenny,am impressed but what do you think and what about the English for visa application.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by candylips(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2011
ololufemi:

6 million naira to Havard. thats a lie . Havard MBA tution is about $100,000 excluding boarding for ur info
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by AjanleKoko: 4:32pm On Jun 03, 2011
candylips:

6 million naira to Havard. thats a lie . Havard MBA tution is about $100,000 excluding boarding for your info

You know, i actually didn't notice that.
Ivy League US schools is usually between $120k-200k. For an MBA, 6 mil is definitely not right if we are talking HBS.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by debosky(m): 4:59pm On Jun 03, 2011
candylips:

6 million naira to Havard. thats a lie . Havard MBA tution is about $100,000 excluding boarding for your info

The poster mentioned he got some scholarships in addition.

ono:

@debosky,
Ol boy, where have you been all these years?

Big bros I dey around oh, na you we no see even your brake lights around. How things with you?
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by debosky(m): 5:02pm On Jun 03, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I think  most Nigerians that come to the UK for MSc/MEng often fail to take into consideration the fact that they have a 20% chance of getting a job after graduation simply[b] 'cos they would not be able to pass security clearance/vetting which often accompany MEng/MSc job offers in the UK.[/b] Those that often get job offers in MSc/MEng usually are placed on security probation for almost 2years without thier knowledge and very few companies are willing to go the extra mile to do that unless they know you have what they are looking for.

The recession has further made it worse as waivers for SC/vetting is seldomly granted to these companies these days, hence the reason they are not so keen on recruiting them.

Another aspect is most nigerians coming to study MSc in UK go for 'mini-skirt' MSc which most home student also go for. Hence thier chances of getting a job becomes very slim.

Can you clarify this statement that Nigerians won't be able to pass security clearance and why you think so?

I know a few individuals in the UK and none mentioned having issues with the security clearance - it's getting past the selection process and any visa constraints that are the main obstacles.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by LongOne1(m): 8:17pm On Jun 10, 2011
tyough:

I have read through many peoples comments and I must say this

1. In life, you make your choices, it is neither easy in Nigeria nor UK
whether you stay in Nigeria or you go to the UK, you will have to hustle to succeed.
It is about your mindset. Yes ofcourse things are not easy in the UK, but I can say the process is rewarding as it builds you mentally for more difficult things you might face later in life. (same way the hustle in nigeria builds you as well)

2. When people make statements like "your mates in Nigeria have gone ahead of you" to me that makes no sense (is it the car they are driving, the house they bought or what?) because it just takes one day for your circumstances to change (e.g Goodluck Jonathan). It just take one day for the opportunity to come and if you are prepared to grab it, your life can turn around 180 degrees and all of a sudden you will overtake all those "so called mates", bottom line we are all on different tracks/paths in life, while some are on a slope now others are on a flat road and other at a bend. so there is no basis for comparing yourselves, it is not about UK or Nigeria.

3. If your dream is to get quality education and add value to your country in the future, GO AHEAD, just have it at the back of your mind that the difference with Nigeria and UK is that there are more black people in Nigeria and Smoother roads or more sophisticated technology in the UK.

4. In terms of Jobs, it is not by location but by grace, there are still a lot of people in Nigeria that graduated many years ago and they are still looking for jobs, same in the UK, while others had a job in Nigeria, resigned and went to the UK and still got one there. It is simply by grace not power nor intelligence nor planning nor wisdom.

All that matters is that we all reach our destinations at the end, irrespective of which route you find yourself on now, no matter how difficult it seems, whether you are in Nigeria, UK or Honolulu, just keep your eyes on God and your dreams will be fulfilled. One day you will tell the story.

Ty
http://me2igetblog.
www.standnetwork.com

Busted: Ain't no guy like TY
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by HIPROFILE(m): 10:58am On Jun 27, 2013
duduspace: In the midst of superflous abundance some people do hunger while in the midst of intense drought, some folk do exceedingly prosper. All we can do as humans is to strive to manifest the latter and not the former and hope that god/favour/luck/time and chance favour us. Whichever of them you choose to believe in. None of them offer any iron clad guarantees and that is why I find life interesting.  grin grin
My brother may God bless you like never before u must be an inspirational speaker I jast keep wondering why people comment as if they are nat nigerians again jast tell me the kind suffer a nigerian can now face in a more organised country like UK dat will now kill him, after facing more life threatening stress and hardship in this country nig. moreover I see that some people don't like to think or take upon a project that goes beyond their capability in the normal sense.Atimes leave above normal though its nat gona be easy but you can do it.conquer ur fears and become great.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by worry359(m): 12:41pm On Jun 27, 2013
Mrs HI-PROFILE
Have you not noticed that this thread is TWO YEARS OLD!!!!!
Try applying your small brain to up to date threads! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

41 Nigerians Deported From Germany, Switzerland, Four Others / FG Moves To Avert Looming Shutdown Of Airline Operations / U.S.A And CANADA, Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.