Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,681 members, 7,831,109 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF (12200 Views)

Anyim Pius Anyim Seeks Buhari's Protection: 'They Are After Me' / Anyim Pius Under Investigation For Funding Pro-Biafra Activities - Sahara Report / Letter From Anyim Pius Anyim To Jonathan, Former President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by sayso: 10:17am On May 31, 2011
can't we ever have a complete change?The same people recycling the power.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by stormm: 10:28am On May 31, 2011
For GEJ, a very dumb move;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyim_Pius_Anyim
Anyim took office in the Senate in May 1999, and was appointed President of the Senate in August 2000, after Chuba Okadigbo had been impeached, holding office until May 2003.[2]

In May 2001, Anyim declared that the upper legislative house was justified in probing the activities of the Mines and Power Ministry during the tenure of Chief Bola Ige.[3] In June 2002, an attempt led by Anyim to impeach President Olusegun Obasanjo collapsed.[4] Speaking a year later, Anyim said President Olusegun Obasanjo misunderstood him on certain issues but there was no conflict between them.[5] In August 2002 he said he was opposed to all the present office holders - including himself - going for a second term.[6]

In November 2002 Anyim indefinitely suspended Senator Arthur Nzeribe of Imo State due to an allegation of a N22 million fraud. Nzeribe was said to be planning an impeachment motion against Anyim.[7] The same month, after Anyim had complained about the Independent Corruption Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), the Senate set up a committee to examine the continued relevance of the commission.[8] In May 2003, Anyim warned an Abuja High Court judge, Justice Egbo Egbo, that the parliament had the power to order his arrest over his opposition to the passage of the anti-graft ICPC law by the Senate.[9]
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by stormm: 10:48am On May 31, 2011
Following complaints by Senate President Anyim Pius Anyim against the Independent Corruption Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), the Senate yesterday set up a committee to examine the continued relevance of the commission.

However, the chairman of the ICPC, Justice Mustapha Akanbi, yesterday vowed that the commission will not succumb to blackmail aimed at forcing it to halt the probe of Anyim's asset following a petition to that effect by Senator Arthur Nzeribe.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200211200141.html
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by 2bosun: 12:16pm On May 31, 2011
I think it is a fine appoint by G.E.J and would finally enable the South-easterners to showcase their talent. The SGF is a very demanding and sensitive position from the looks of it- it requires lots of experience, which he's obviously got. I think he was probably the "most scandal-free" candidate out of the other options which must have played a role in his appointment. I'm putting my money on him to deliver just as Chieft Ufot-Ekaette did in the Obasanjo era.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Charlesook(m): 12:22pm On May 31, 2011
We believe so much in GEJ and the choice of Ayim is highly welcome. Chosing Ojo Maduekwe would have been a doom to the Igbos.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Sagamite(m): 1:03pm On May 31, 2011
lagbaja:

a government is as strong as its weakest link. Anyim  is fat, clumsy and slow. the SGF office is very demanding and should be occupied by an able bodied person.

Utter fcking moooronic rubbish!

Did you pull that from the deepest part of the labyrinth in your arse that hosts your brain?
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by sley4life(m): 1:07pm On May 31, 2011
congrats Anyim. I hope he performs. He has enuff portfolio. Y not giv me 1 of them 2 handle cheesy
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by ideylaff: 1:59pm On May 31, 2011
The most important thing to know about Anyim Pius Anyim is that he is not an Obasanjo crony. Infact he was the first Senate President to stare down Obasanjo.
He can be credited with freeing the Nigerian senate from Obasanjo's dictatorship. He is fiercely independent and young. He is not a spent force.
He is one of the few PDP folks that believe in real democracy. With him as SGF, Nigerians can be sure that the wheel of democracy would be allowed to run freely.
Quote me on these.

@ Onlytruth I begiiiii leave story please,

, we dey Senate when Anyim dey there in terms of inner caucus issues, the only reason he fought OBJ was because the demanded money was not enough, simple as.

All of them are the same they share a common denominator and speak the same language " MONEY, POWER + GREED"

This is NOt Fresh Air,  It stinks,
sad sad sad
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by youngmonie: 2:10pm On May 31, 2011
Must e always RE-CYCLE leaders in this country!!!!?
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by daroz(m): 2:20pm On May 31, 2011
youngmonie:

Must e always RE-CYCLE leaders in this country!!!!?
The position of SGF requires experience, and Pius Anyim is the right man for it.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Muslcar: 3:45pm On May 31, 2011
Anyim Pius Anyim is just the type of Strong Politician that GEJ needs at the heart of affairs. He is the best ally GEJ can wish for with all the madness in the north and unrest. I am confident that he will deliver.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Reference(m): 4:20pm On May 31, 2011
This is a very good stand and I respect Senator Pius Anyim for accepting to serve this government. He has a wealth of experience, a good consensus builder and great for the east. Senator Ken may have been better but I only feel he should be reserved for the very top.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by olabodefa: 5:05pm On May 31, 2011
dis is rubish sad shocked embarassed
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Rastamann: 5:33pm On May 31, 2011
This is a case of an old wine in a new bottle!
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by apache77(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2011
Anyim is a very poor choice for the SGF. If the position was zoned to the south east, do the Igbos want to tell us that there is no technocrat or career civil servant who shd have been given this job? Anyim has impecabble credentials when it comes to principle maybe, but giving him the number 1 civil service job in the country Hell no. Asides from a very junior position in, is it refugees commission sometime in the 90's. he has no experience in the civil service. How does he co-ordinate perm secs? Ministers? Heads of extra ministerial parastatals.

Like a poster noted above, all the 16 Nigerians who have been the SGF, starting from Mr. S.O.Wey (1961-66), through M.A. Ejueyitchie ((1966-70), A.A. Atta (1970-72), C.O. Lawson (1972-75), Alison Ayida (1975 -77), Ali Ciroma (1977-79), Shehu Musa (1979-1983), G.A. Longe (1984-86), Chief Olu Falae (1986-89),  Aliyu Mohammed (1990-93), Mustapha Umara (1993), Aminu Saleh (1993-95), Gidado Idris (1995-99), U.J. Ekaette (1999-2007), Babagana Kingibe(2007-08), to the current Alhaji Mahmud Yayale Ahmed, had been core and competent career public servants.

How does Anyim compare to these people? How does he compare to people like Shehu Musa, Olu Falae,Allison Ayida, astute men of timbre and calibre who were referred to, in their day as super permannet secretaries How? The SGF is not a political appoitment, and Anyim is a politician through and through. He will only politicize the civil service and ruin it. Junior directors who are card carrying memebers of PDP will be made perm secs above their superiors who are apolitical, politically minded civil servants will be made MD's, Executive Secretaries, Directors-General, and heads of extra ministerial parastattals and MDA's.

This is bad news for the Federal Civil service and i guess, in 4years, I will be vindicated
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by congoshine(m): 6:22pm On May 31, 2011
Anyim is cool IMO,but he needs to lose weight o !

His neck is a wide as the diameter of a minibus extra tyre  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 31, 2011
apache77:

Anyim is a very poor choice for the SGF. If the position was zoned to the south east, do the Igbos want to tell us that there is no technocrat or career civil servant who shd have been given this job? Anyim has impecabble credentials when it comes to principle maybe, but giving him the number 1 civil service job in the country Hell no. Asides from a very junior position in, is it refugees commission sometime in the 90's. he has no experience in the civil service. How does he co-ordinate perm secs? Ministers? Heads of extra ministerial parastatals.

Like a poster noted above, all the 16 Nigerians who have been the SGF, starting from Mr. S.O.Wey (1961-66), through M.A. Ejueyitchie ((1966-70), A.A. Atta (1970-72), C.O. Lawson (1972-75), Alison Ayida (1975 -77), Ali Ciroma (1977-79), Shehu Musa (1979-1983), G.A. Longe (1984-86), Chief Olu Falae (1986-89),  Aliyu Mohammed (1990-93), Mustapha Umara (1993), Aminu Saleh (1993-95), Gidado Idris (1995-99), U.J. Ekaette (1999-2007), Babagana Kingibe(2007-08), to the current Alhaji Mahmud Yayale Ahmed, had been core and competent career public servants.

How does Anyim compare to these people? How does he compare to people like Shehu Musa, Olu Falae,Allison Ayida, astute men of timbre and calibre who were referred to, in their day as super permannet secretaries How? The SGF is not a political appoitment, and Anyim is a politician through and through. He will only politicize the civil service and ruin it. Junior directors who are card carrying memebers of PDP will be made perm secs above their superiors who are apolitical, politically minded civil servants will be made MD's, Executive Secretaries, Directors-General, and heads of extra ministerial parastattals and MDA's.

This is bad news for the Federal Civil service and i guess, in 4years, I will be vindicated

another ridiculous comment, when did the Igbos have a referendum to produce the SGF?

The President chose who he thinks he can work with and should solely be held responsible for the success or failure of this SGF.

Leave the Igbos for this matter abeg!!!!!!!!
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 31, 2011
Section 171 of the Nigerian Constitution quoted below clearly vests responsibility to appoint the SGF on the President. If he has chosen to behind the scene sublate this responsibility, it counts for nothing under the law and the success or failure of the individual so appointed is the sole responsibility of the President.

So those who talk about how Igbos did not make a good choice in choosing Anyim or those who talk about how Governors from SE asked to nominate an SGF nominated their cronies must recognise how ignorant they sound when they come up with these postulations. It is up to the President to appoint who he likes as SGF and nobody else or group can be held responsible for who gets appointed.

That is the position of the law.

171. (1) Power to appoint persons to hold or act in the offices to which this section applies and to remove persons so appointed from any such office shall vest in the President.

(2) The offices to which this section applies are, namely -

(a) Secretary to the Government of the Federation;

(b) Head of the Civil Service of the Federation;

(c) Ambassador, High Commissioner or other Principal Representative of Nigeria abroad;

(d) Permanent Secretary in any Ministry or Head of any Extra-Ministerial Department of the Government of the Federation howsoever designated; and

(e) any office on the personal staff of the President.

(3) An appointment to the office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation shall not be made except from among Permanent Secretaries or equivalent rank in the civil service of the Federation or of a State.

(4) An appointment to the office of Ambassador, High Commissioner or other Principal Representative of Nigeria abroad shall not have effect unless the appointment is confirmed by the Senate.

(5) In exercising his powers of appointment under this section, the President shall have regard to the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity.

(6) Any appointment made pursuant to paragraphs (a) and (e) of subsection (2) of this section shall be at the pleasure of the President and shall cease when the President ceases to hold office;

Provided that where a person has been appointed from a public service of the Federation or a State, he shall be entitled to return to the public service of the Federation or of the State when the President ceases to hold office.

Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Rhea(f): 7:12pm On May 31, 2011
This appointment should delight the one who made it. When you surround yourself with mumus, you will end up either shining like a star or blending with the mumus.

But then, what does a secretary do besides writing minutes of meeting?? grin cheesy

Anyim can handle that even if the meeting was held in Swahili cheesy
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by KnowAll(m): 7:13pm On May 31, 2011
The man looks like a man who is about to have a heart attack, I hope he would not be carried out of Aso Rock in a box.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by stormm: 10:03pm On May 31, 2011
'Xcuse me peeps, what about his baggage? The guy never had a successful tenure as the Senate President. Senator Nzeribe wrote a petition against him for embezzling N22b. It got so bad Anyim canvassed the repudiation and subsequent nullification of the statutes setting up the ICPC. It is in recognition of the shortcomings of the ICPC, following Anyim's fightback, that Obasanjo established the EFCC with wide ranging powers. Anyim did not re-contest the senate, to obviously pre-empt further exposure of his very dirty linen.

Who evr proposed Anyim as SGF does not mean well for the nation. Some of us can easily recant Anyim's clueless tenure, his struggle for/against the English language and a penchant for always smiling at the executive.

A clueless move from GEJ. Fresh FOUL AIR!
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Guyman02: 10:37pm On May 31, 2011
Dont bother, Ndigbo are not celebrating this appointment because it is not included in the order of protocol. All we want from GEJ just like Gov Obi said is improvement of infrastructure; federal roads rehabilitation, second nier bridge, dredging of river niger to onitsha port etc.
SGF is completely at the discretion of Mr President, so if he fails we blame GEJ.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by chelseabmw(m): 1:54am On Jun 01, 2011
I use to like this man. . . .He is ok
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by juman(m): 2:18am On Jun 01, 2011
Good choice.

The country is in crisis. Mr. President need people like Mr. Anyim Pius Anyim to drag the country to the right path.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by apache77(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2011
mikeansy:

another ridiculous comment, when did the Igbos have a referendum to produce the SGF?

The President chose who he thinks he can work with and should solely be held responsible for the success or failure of this SGF.

Leave the Igbos for this matter abeg!!!!!!!!

Dont you follow current affairs? Is it now you are knowing that the SGF was zoned to the south east? or that the Senate Presidency to the North Central If you you no knw, go sit don, you shdnt be here
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Badesh(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2011
I sincrely want to congratulate Pius Anyim on his appointment as the SGF. Personally, I have always loved his style of leadership and mien. He strikes me like one of the few Igbo men that will steer the Ndigbo's course on the national front. With this appointment, one can see that Goodluck Jonathan himself is quite ready to settle down to work, at least he has not made a mistake of appointing someone like Ojo Maduekwe (mediocre). Albeit, he is a card-carrying member of the party, I heard in the news this morning when he admitted that his appointment came to him as a surprise.

He should brace up for the challenges to come as he was quite versatile and matured in handling the Obasanjo tenure without the usual rancour of the office of the senate president. He had since gone underground after his exit without any allegations of corruption and also remained in the grass-root of politics of the nation. I see a visionary leader emerging in him and the youth of this country can ony pray for his likes and Fashola of Lagos state.

Once again, congratulations to him and I want to wish him all the best on the job.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by zoraro(m): 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2011
mikeansy:

Section 171 of the Nigerian Constitution quoted below clearly vests responsibility to appoint the SGF on the President.

(6) Any appointment made pursuant to paragraphs (a) and (e) of subsection (2) of this section shall be at the pleasure of the President and shall cease when the President ceases to hold office;

Provided that where a person has been appointed from a public service of the Federation or a State, he shall be entitled to return to the public service of the Federation or of the State when the President ceases to hold office.

From the above, it is crystal clear that a President can appoint somebody who was/is not a civil servant to be SGF. So those who are showing their ignorance by telling us how the past 16 SGFs were civil servants should please educate themselves.

Sen. Anyim has never ever occupied any government appointed position before (he was a senator which any intelligent person should know is not a government appointment). So why the silly talk of recycling?.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Sagamite(m): 3:10pm On Jun 03, 2011
zoraro:

From the above, it is crystal clear that a President can appoint somebody who was/is not a civil servant to be SGF. So those who are showing their ignorance by telling us how the past 16 SGFs were civil servants should please educate themselves.

Sen. Anyim has never ever occupied any government appointed position before (he was a senator which any intelligent person should know is not a government appointment). So why the silly talk of recycling?.   

Don't mind them. What a dumb thing to assert.

They think appointment to a post should not be about competence and credibility but about some narrow-minded criteria of theirs.

Rubbish!
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by congoshine(m): 9:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
Sagamite:

Don't mind them. What a dumb thing to assert.

They think appointment to a post should not be about competence and credibility but about some narrow-minded criteria of theirs.

Rubbish!
But the guy really needs to watch it o !

Or else na triple heart bypass be that.

He should commence 7 day fasting immediately.
Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by Sagamite(m): 10:36pm On Jun 03, 2011
congoshine:

But the guy really needs to watch it o !

Or else na triple heart bypass be that.

He should commence 7 day fasting immediately.

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Probe Report : House Of Reps Debate - Live / Wike: Amaechi Tried To Truncate My Political Career / Gov Ugwuanyi Declares Curfew In Two Council Areas In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.