Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,452 members, 7,850,577 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:35 AM

NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents (7379 Views)

Kankara Schoolboys Reunite With Their Parents (Pix) / Dickson Consoles Buratai, Bichi And Modu-Sheriff Over Death Of Their Parents / Names Of 23 New Political Parties Registered By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Picker28: 12:08pm On Oct 07, 2021
Beer is written from 18
Some movies 18
Cigarettes 18
Bet9ja 18

Not in Nigeria
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by 0m0nnakoda: 12:12pm On Oct 07, 2021
This is the case in many countries in the world
In many cases getting a SIM card implies entering a contract and under-18s cannot enter contracts without parental consent or supervision whether it be opening a bank account, renting a house or even hotel room

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Nickisindigo:

18 years can't work cuz it would render some other policy null and void

1. Waiting till you turn 18 years in order to go to a higher institution
2. In other to open a bank account
3. In other to get a passport

To do this three things you need a nin, and to a get nin you need a phone number
Nigeria is using the English law system, you might have to find out provision for contractual capacity of a minor
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by budaatum: 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

It's like you don't get it.
Using of a communication gadget is a necessity, contract under such circumstances can be entered into by a minor without the parents consent.
You might have to check for the legal basis under contract law of various jurisdiction.
If there should be a SIM loss while the child is in school, who retrieves the SIM?
If the parents are residing in another country but wants their children to imbibe the Nigerian culture, hence sending such child to a Nigerian institution, who registers the SIM?

You are asserting boldly without any evidence and then telling us to accept it.

Where did you get "Using of a communication gadget is a necessity"? And, under what "circumstances" please?
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 2:15pm On Oct 07, 2021
budaatum:

You are asserting boldly without any evidence and then telling us to accept it.

Where did you get "Using of a communication gadget is a necessity"? And, under what "circumstances" please?
You might have to lookup what constitutes a necessity under a Contract of Necessity and tell how communication gadget isn't one.
NB: not talking about luxury gadgets which might be exempted in certain circumstances.
The question you should ask yourself is why communication, including wire communication which telephone falls under is protected by the constitution as a fundamental right.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2021
For those quoting me without bordering to find out if their opinion is a fact or not, you can look up this screenshot. A strong opinion doesn't negate a fact, someone even mentioned earlier that a minor can't enter into a contract of employment.
Source is Wikipedia.

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by budaatum: 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

You might have to lookup what constitutes a necessity under a Contract of Necessity and tell how communication gadget isn't one.

Lawyer telling counsel to go and find evidence to prove lawyer's case?!?

Smh!
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by budaatum: 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:
For those quoting me without bordering to find out if their opinion is a fact or not, you can look up this screenshot. A strong opinion doesn't negate a fact, someone even mentioned earlier that a minor can't enter into a contract of employment.
Source is Wikipedia.

How can a mentally incapacitated person enter contract of any sort?
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 2:45pm On Oct 07, 2021
budaatum:

How can a mentally incapacitated person enter contract of any sort?
Is that your understanding of the word *mentally incapacitated* as put in that article? Is the mentally incapacitated referring to an insane being?
In law, minors are seen as generally mentally incapacitated, however, there are exemptions. That is the meaning of what is written there, if you are a counsel as claimed, you should know that.
Now as a counsel, tell us what meets up to be classified as a necessity in regards to a minor under contract, or you want to claim such is not in existence or in existence but not in existence in Nigeria?
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by budaatum: 2:53pm On Oct 07, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

Is that your understanding of the word *mentally incapacitated* as put in that article? Is the mentally incapacitated referring to an insane being?
In law, minors are seen as generally mentally incapacitated, however, there are exemptions. That is the meaning of what is written there, if you are a counsel as claimed, you should know that.
Now as a counsel, tell us what meets up to be classified as a necessity in regards to a minor under contract, or you want to claim such is not in existence or in existence but not in existence in Nigeria?

I hope you read my question.

budaatum:

You seem to be asking me what you've been asked and failed to answer yourself!
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2021
budaatum:

I hope you read my question.

You seem to be asking me what you've been asked and failed to answer yourself!
You never saw an answer because you picked up a response in the middle of a conversation. There was a prior response before to that which answers your question.
We are just dragging what is not necessary. Are you saying owning a SIM card can't be classified as a necessity or it's not applicable in Nigeria?
What would you have defined as a necessity that is covered by a contract law in respect to a minor?
Kindly state your argument

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by budaatum: 4:26pm On Oct 07, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

Are you saying owning a SIM card can't be classified as a necessity or it's not applicable in Nigeria?

No. I have not said, "owning a SIM card can't be classified as a necessity or it's not applicable in Nigeria".

You will note I asked, 'what "circumstances" please'?

OlujobaSamuel:
What would you have defined as a necessity that is covered by a contract law in respect to a minor?
Kindly state your argument
I have not made claim to any argument OlujobaSamuel. I have merely asked questions to acquire more information to determine further course of discussion if any were required.

You must forgive me. If you can not show enough courtesy to answer my questions I do not understand why you'd expect any in return.

Please note that I am at, "Using of a communication gadget is a necessity". I am not fast at all.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by cmecproblem(m): 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2021
So NCC had to make this clarification? Nigerians sha ah ah. Are we dull? This is what they meant all along.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by OlujobaSamuel: 5:30pm On Oct 07, 2021
budaatum:

No. I have not said, "owning a SIM card can't be classified as a necessity or it's not applicable in Nigeria".

You will note I asked, 'what "circumstances" please'?

I have not made claim to any argument OlujobaSamuel. I have merely asked questions to acquire more information to determine further course of discussion if any were required.

You must forgive me. If you can not show enough courtesy to answer my questions I do not understand why you'd expect any in return.

Please note that I am at, "Using of a communication gadget is a necessity". I am not fast at all.
Then you should have looked at my response which prompted your question in relation to the context I was speaking from. There was an initial answer of mine that answered that. You only came in midway through the discussion.
Anyway, thanks for your time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2021
Imaginary division grin grin grin what did you smoke? You better stop it cause even a blind man can tell Nigeria is already a divided country all thanks to those dumb mallams up north who are taking our money to fund terrorism and develop Niger republic abi that one too na lie? undecided
Okoroawusa:

Must everything be seen from imaginary divisions for you people? I weak for una o!
Are there no under 18 youth from the south born, brought up and living in the north? Or are there no under 18 youth from the north living and working in the South?

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE??

AAAAH!!!.... THIS IS SO FUCKINGGG! GETTING ON MY NERVES!!!
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by mfm04622: 5:28am On Oct 08, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

It's like you don't get it.
Using of a communication gadget is a necessity, contract under such circumstances can be entered into by a minor without the parents consent.
You might have to check for the legal basis under contract law of various jurisdiction.
If there should be a SIM loss while the child is in school, who retrieves the SIM?
If the parents are residing in another country but wants their children to imbibe the Nigerian culture, hence sending such child to a Nigerian institution, who registers the SIM?

Do Nigerians abroad just send their children to Nigeria without a guardian to look after the children in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? / FG Plans Five Million Solar-powered Households, 250,000 Jobs / Niger Military Versus Nigeria Military (Equipment)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.