Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,381 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents (7323 Views)

Kankara Schoolboys Reunite With Their Parents (Pix) / Dickson Consoles Buratai, Bichi And Modu-Sheriff Over Death Of Their Parents / Names Of 23 New Political Parties Registered By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by aminulive: 7:42am On Oct 07, 2021
POLITICSNIGERIA.COM

The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC has stated that a section of Nigerians are disqualified from owning Subscriber Identity Module, SIM.

This is contrary to a report by Punch on Wednesday. The commission made this clarification in a statement made available to POLITICS NIGERIA on Thursday morning signed by its Public Affairs Director, Ikechukwu Adinde.

"The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) would like to draw the attention of the public to a publication in a section of the media, purporting that the Commission is developing a regulation to disqualify Nigerians below 18 years of age from getting Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)."

"For the avoidance of doubt, the Commission wishes to categorically state that the said report is not only misleading and inaccurate; but a misinformation and mischaracterisation of the proceedings of the Public Inquiry on the Reviewed/Draft Registration of Telephone Subscribers Regulations, which took place on Tuesday, October 6, 2021."

"The Commission considers it necessary to set the record straight for the purpose of serving existing and potential telecom subscribers , investors and other stakeholders in the industry accurate information for making informed decisions."

"In accordance with sections 70 and 71 of the Nigerian Communications Act (NCA), 2003 and the Commission’s consultative engagement process, which define its rule-making process, the public inquiry was held for all relevant stakeholders to provide input on the draft regulatory instrument."

"The age of 18 years for SIM acquisition proposed in the draft regulation is contingent on the constitutional provision, which makes 18 years the age of consent in Nigeria. Also, SIM acquisition is a contract between service providers and their subscribers, which requires the subscriber to have proper legal status, be of matured mind and rational enough to bear certain responsibilities, obligations and liabilities imposed by a contract."

"The proposal is, therefore, to protect minors. Parents and guardians can acquire SIMs in their names on behalf of their children and wards in which case they assume whatever responsibilities or liabilities that arise from the usage of such SIMs, a measure expected to also strengthen national security."

"While the Commission is progressively pursuing digital inclusion for all, the draft proposal is intended to guarantee increased monitoring of children and shield the minors from undue liabilities in line with NCC’s Child Online Protection drive."

"However, the consultative engagement process is still ongoing, as the Commission is reviewing all input from relevant stakeholders in this regard and will consider and deliberate on all comments before issuing a final regulatory instrument."

"We appeal to our media stakeholders to always fact-check their stories pertaining to telecoms regulatory issues and seek necessary clarifications for informed and accurate reporting as the Commission runs an open-house system."

https://politicsnigeria.com/just-in-we-did-not-disqualify-nigerians-below-18-from-owning-sim-ncc/

3 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Felimax(m): 7:48am On Oct 07, 2021
"The age of 18 years for SIM acquisition proposed in the draft regulation is contingent on the constitutional provision, which makes 18 years the age of consent in Nigeria. Also, SIM acquisition is a contract between service providers and their subscribers, which requires the subscriber to have proper legal status, be of matured mind and rational enough to bear certain responsibilities, obligations and liabilities imposed by a contract."[b][/b]

They were saying 12 you are saying half dozen. Whether i am the one not understanding the two of you self i don't know.

7 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Illuminatiship(m): 7:50am On Oct 07, 2021
Nigeria criminals commission
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by alizma: 7:51am On Oct 07, 2021
I knew Nigerians were going to misunderstood the NCC on the matter.
Simple thing, they blow it out of proportion. If your child is below 18, get him/her a Sim card in your name. Simple as that, when he/she becomes of age to take full responsibility of his/her actions, the person can walk into any service provider office and get as many sim as possible within the law.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Lanretoye(m): 7:55am On Oct 07, 2021
Now so you are telling me that the NCC never sets the age for sim registrationat 18,they only said their parents can register for them...we just make things difficult for ourselvesin this country, expecially we youths.in both of your illustrations,how many youths died?, or the fact that they are armed robbers makes them less of youths.
alizma:

The difference is in the explanation.
Will you react differently to these two statements the same way?
1. The Nigerian police killed 18 youths
2. 18 Nigerian youths who engaged in armed robbery operations were killed by the Nigerian police along A B express road
Nigeria get problem,whats the difference between this and that...they killed 18 people is now different from 18 people were killed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Maxymilliano(m): 7:57am On Oct 07, 2021
But they are still saying the same thing naa or is there any difference between six and half a dozen

NCC wan use semantics confuse the people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by alizma: 8:05am On Oct 07, 2021
Lanretoye:
Nigeria get problem,whats the difference between this and that...they killed 18 people is now different from 18 people were killed.
Will you react differently to these statements or remain indifferent?
2. 18 Nigerian youths who engaged in armed robbery operations were killed by the Nigerian police along A B express road

7 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by AntiBMC(m): 8:29am On Oct 07, 2021
These people actually think they are talking to fools.. but then again, we've all been keeping quiet and overlooking all their shenanigans...so they are right to think we are.

After all the long talk and denial, they actually gave credence to the Punch's publication. So what gives?

1 Like

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Emmypure: 8:29am On Oct 07, 2021
T
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Bblam: 8:29am On Oct 07, 2021
alizma:
I knew Nigerians were going to misunderstood the NCC on the matter.
Simple thing, they blow it out of proportion. If your child is below 18, get him/her a Sim card in your name. Simple as that, when he/she becomes of age to take full responsibility of his/her actions, the person can walk into any service provider office and get as many sim as possible within the law.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by bigdammyj: 8:30am On Oct 07, 2021
Noted
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by bigcil2(m): 8:30am On Oct 07, 2021
Joint venture needed at Magodo
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by MrBanner(m): 8:31am On Oct 07, 2021
Modified
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by mfm04622: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2021
Felimax:
"The age of 18 years for SIM acquisition proposed in the draft regulation is contingent on the constitutional provision, which makes 18 years the age of consent in Nigeria. Also, SIM acquisition is a contract between service providers and their subscribers, which requires the subscriber to have proper legal status, be of matured mind and rational enough to bear certain responsibilities, obligations and liabilities imposed by a contract."[b][/b]

They were saying 12 you are saying half dozen. Whether i am the one not understanding the two of you self i don't know.

They didn't make the law. The constitution said only 18 and above can legally enter into a contract. Buying SIM and using is a contract between subscriber and service provider. So, they are reminding service providers to follow the law and stop entering contract with minors who can't enter a contract legally

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Stewart883(m): 8:31am On Oct 07, 2021
Very good development. Any Nigerian against this policy is an enemy of the state!!!

2 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Mossadd: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2021
alizma:

Will you react differently to these two statements the same way?
you and ncc are still not making any sense

1 Like

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Kingrefreshed: 8:32am On Oct 07, 2021
aminulive:
POLITICSNIGERIA.COM

https://politicsnigeria.com/just-in-we-did-not-disqualify-nigerians-below-18-from-owning-sim-ncc/

I don't trust anything from this Terrorists in Power. I will be the last person in Africa to register my SIM.

I don't trust these marafakas one bit.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by MuchAdo: 8:32am On Oct 07, 2021
When it concerns sex/marriage, they say age of consent is 13.

When it comes to other issues, they say it's 18.

Confused people! angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Dozie32(m): 8:34am On Oct 07, 2021
Oceansflow:
Please forgive me,I sorry for doing this If I can help myself I won't be begging, my name is Celestine, am from Enugu State, Agwu LGA. Am 29 years old. Have been suffering from tettraplegic spinal cord injury since 13 years now.ever since then till now I have been indoor no chance for me to move out side the house because of bad environment.
Am only alive today because my mother never abandon me, She look after me since my accident happen but now life in general is now too hard for us. My mother is very aged and she has diabetes. Also my hands is partially affected as result of injure to the spine and because of that I cannot earn living. My family have suffer to spend so much on us and is just me and my mother that live here in the village with no one else here to help us. Am also suffer from long term urinary tract infection due to my inability to be changing carrterther often and also because am unable to get good treatment and health care needs
. We also finding it hard to feed. please am calling on well meaning Nigerians to please have mercy and please help us.i am dire need of financial help for medical Nothing is too small and any NGO that can accept my condition please. more details

For video evidence check on my signatures

nwankwo celestine
31-71 7 8-6.2 5O
First Bank.
Current location:Afam uzoegwu street Nkpor Anambra State.i am available for physical verification thanks.

Please beware of my impersonator anthony okeke with different moniker begging with my former video

Chai God will surely see you through brother.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 07, 2021
Very good

It means NCC is not introducing something new, but reminding us about law

Ipolibans over to you

2 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2021
Kingrefreshed:

I don't trust anything from this Terrorists in Power. I will be the last person in Africa to register my SIM.

I don't trust these marafakas one bit.

Check your constitution that you you took 4 months since last you read it.

1 Like

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 07, 2021
MuchAdo:
When it concerns sex/marriage, they say age of consent is 13.

When it comes to other issues, they say it's 18.

Confused people! angry

Flat head ipop

2 Likes

Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by skywalker240(m): 8:41am On Oct 07, 2021
NasO
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by dreality: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2021
Will this not fuel crime etc. So anyone claiming to be a parent can have multiple sims with different child photos on them. Who doesn't see the loopholes here?
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by BabaO2: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2021
Damage control

Listen to yourself:

"However, the consultative engagement process is still ongoing, as the Commission is reviewing all input from relevant stakeholders in this regard and will consider and deliberate on all comments before issuing a final regulatory instrument."

This was after the backlashes from better thinking public.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Dozie32(m): 8:42am On Oct 07, 2021
Oceansflow:
Amen just that I am facing big chanlenges from my impersonator

He or she shall suffer greater than what you're passing through. Your helper will locate you soon, mark my words. Its well.
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by MuchAdo: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2021
Khaleepha5681:

Flat head ipop

Olodo ni e! angry
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2021
Stewart883:
Very good development. Any Nigerian against this policy is an enemy of the state!!!

Of course

It's anything new

Majority of us have just our constitution copy under pillow without reading
Re: NCC: Minors Can Get SIM Cards But It Will Be Registered By Their Parents by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 07, 2021
MuchAdo:

Olodo ni e! angry

Dolo, balii,maras fahimta

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Security Situation In Enugu Is Under Control - Police / Nigeria's Total Public Debt Stands At $151.3 Billion In June 2022 - Nairametrics / Kankia Dam Collapses, Destroys Crops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.