Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Should I Cut-off My Parents? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Cut-off My Parents? (28142 Views)

Should I Cut Contact With My Step Sister? / 'I Moved Out Of My Parents House Because Of My Mum" - Lady / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Dicedpineappple(f): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2021
Omo!!!!!!

Cut them off abeg...

If you can stand on your "No".. Please cut them off..
For the sake of your Mental Health...
Even if it's for a period of time...
Parents can be emotionally manipulative a lot of times and most times you can even say no...

Change your sim or block channels where they can reach you....Take care of your last one your..Let the others fend for themselves for a while....

No be only you be pikin wey Mama and Papa born...

Which kyn thing be this one....���
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by okaba04: 11:49am On Oct 10, 2021
cheesy cheesy wink cheesy
michlins:
People born between 1990-1996 are going through terrible situation.

Anywhere you see them, have mercy on them
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by lomprico(m): 11:57am On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Hello guys, this is a very strong decision I want to make, I need your help to make this decision or not to. I am thinking of cutting my parents off because they have caused me enormous financial setback as a result of the bad decisions my father made. Firstly, I will like to give you a background of the story.

I come from a family of 4 and I am the first child of my parents. My dad is a retired federal government worker, he worked for many eyes as a school cert holder (so obviously, he didn’t hold very top position until he retired, probably the max in reached was level 8 or 9). He trained me through the university and he retired during my NYSC, at this point one of my brothers was in the university (he never graduated because he was nonchalant), my 3rd brother was a jambite and the last born was in primary school. The Jambite graduated this year and the last born is now a jambite.

In 2013, my dad retired and received gratuity worth several millions. My mom tried persuading him to build a house in the village because we are Igbos but Based in ogun state but my dad refused and insisted that he was going to develop his land in ogun state by building a 4 flats building (up stairs) then start business with the remaining money in Ogun state (apparently, he got the revelation from church to do that), he never completed the house. My dad is very religious until date, so out of the money he paid tithe, bought instruments for church and made some donations. Immediately I finished serving, I got a job with a pharmaceutical company as a medical sales representative. I was receiving a salary of 80k with commission. Things started great. I served some money I joined my dad in some of his fish farm business, I was in Enugu while he was doing the farm business in ogun state. When it was time to harvest the fish, I was told stories about theft, I spent 700k on the business but was able to recover 200k because I had to help him offset some debt.

To cut the long story short, my dad started having serious financial issues, couldn’t pay school fees of my last born in school, had several debts just about 2years after collecting millions as gratuity due to his wrong choice of investment. Ofcourse the financial burden transcended to me, until a point that my dad got into trouble from another debt, he spent church harvest savings that he was suppose to remit. I was paying my brothers school fees worth 150k per term, i had to take money from company’s account to help him offset the debt hoping that he would pay up and I will pay some before company finds out. The whole financial burden was so huge for a starter like me, owing to the fact that I lost all my savings to the fish farming business and I also had to pay house rents in Enugu and pay other bills.
I accumulated a debt of 1.2million with the company and then is started paying it by bit until the company found out that there was a deficit of 400k. I was arrested and was in the cell for days.
To get out of the cell, I had to sign a legal agreement for a payment plan of paying 30k monthly to offset the debt. Luckily for me, I got a 60k job 1month after, my dad couldn’t pay my last siblings school fees, I took him to Enugu and started Paying his bills. I was also paying 30k from my salary every month until I paid all the lost the job again during the heat of the recession. I managed to pay up that debt.
Since 2018, I haven’t really done any serious job, I started driving Uber in 2019, saved up some money, my mom needed money for business last year, i borrowed her, she couldn’t complete the payment. The car I was using to do the Uber got bad again.
I had to look for a remote job now in Lagos, I saved up money and learnt how to do footwear, i Am saving some money to pay my house and shop rent and get machines.
Last two month my dad called that he needed money for my brother’s school fees so he can complete his SSCE exams. He promised to payback mid last month, now I have not seen the money and my that was my house rent I borrowed him. My house rent expired in August. I called him, and ofcourse, he is playing the emotional game. Now, they are in serious financial mess and they seem not to want stop dragging me into it and it’s not as if I am doing great myself. I am not, I’m struggling to make something after mortgaging a lot of time paying several debts. It is overwhelming.

The point is, I am 31years old, I’m looking forward to making my own family and it seem if I am not careful, they will drag me back from this objective. Anytime I try to organize myself, they come up with their monetary problems and it hinders my growth. My plan was to get a shop and equip it before the end of first quarter 2022 from the saving I made from my current 80k salary and now they have collected my house rent in form of a loan. That’s a drawback again.

I have to make my own family, I need to shed some burden to be able to do that. I also want to be a parent and I never want to depend on my kids in my old age.
Should I cut them off?
If no, what do you advice that I do?

as long as u keep giving, they will keep asking.

they are your parents, yes and you are a good son but if you can't say No even when u don't have then you won't grow. Don't cut them off, learn how to say 'No'

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by wallrichy: 11:57am On Oct 10, 2021
You are just like me before I woke up to reality. We hate to see people in financial pain especially when we have barely enough to help them. You need to learn to say NO and also to give what you can give and not what they demands from you. Forget that loan story that would pay back. Who pay back in Nigeria? Even if eventually pay back, either short payment or bastardised mode of payment. You need to take a drastic decision of not allowing them to suck you out with tales of woes that would lead you to a terrible financial downfall where it would be hard to rise again. You are good and very sympathetic and generous to a fault. Please plan your life very well and don't deviate from your plans again. Don't give what you can't dash out as a gift to your parents.....how on earth did you think they would pay you back a loan sef? These are your parents o....just give what you can afford to give them and close eyes...

Personally, I have written off some millions of Naira taken from me as a loan.....these are loan that's ought to be paid back in just two weeks plus interest but 4 years on the line, no payment and debtors will even refuse picking your calls....drag police into it was another problem, police siphoning money from me to arrest, to mobilise, logistics etc....got tired and name it a bad debt....that's the story of Nigeria situation, people borrow even with good intention of repaying but business is really bad and uncertain in Nigeria.....Take care OP....You are good and rare.....
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Krucifax(m): 11:58am On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Hello guys, this is a very strong decision I want to make, I need your help to make this decision or not to. I am thinking of cutting my parents off because they have caused me enormous financial setback as a result of the bad decisions my father made. Firstly, I will like to give you a background of the story.

I come from a family of 4 and I am the first child of my parents. My dad is a retired federal government worker, he worked for many eyes as a school cert holder (so obviously, he didn’t hold very top position until he retired, probably the max in reached was level 8 or 9). He trained me through the university and he retired during my NYSC, at this point one of my brothers was in the university (he never graduated because he was nonchalant), my 3rd brother was a jambite and the last born was in primary school. The Jambite graduated this year and the last born is now a jambite.

In 2013, my dad retired and received gratuity worth several millions. My mom tried persuading him to build a house in the village because we are Igbos but Based in ogun state but my dad refused and insisted that he was going to develop his land in ogun state by building a 4 flats building (up stairs) then start business with the remaining money in Ogun state (apparently, he got the revelation from church to do that), he never completed the house. My dad is very religious until date, so out of the money he paid tithe, bought instruments for church and made some donations. Immediately I finished serving, I got a job with a pharmaceutical company as a medical sales representative. I was receiving a salary of 80k with commission. Things started great. I served some money I joined my dad in some of his fish farm business, I was in Enugu while he was doing the farm business in ogun state. When it was time to harvest the fish, I was told stories about theft, I spent 700k on the business but was able to recover 200k because I had to help him offset some debt.

To cut the long story short, my dad started having serious financial issues, couldn’t pay school fees of my last born in school, had several debts just about 2years after collecting millions as gratuity due to his wrong choice of investment. Ofcourse the financial burden transcended to me, until a point that my dad got into trouble from another debt, he spent church harvest savings that he was suppose to remit. I was paying my brothers school fees worth 150k per term, i had to take money from company’s account to help him offset the debt hoping that he would pay up and I will pay some before company finds out. The whole financial burden was so huge for a starter like me, owing to the fact that I lost all my savings to the fish farming business and I also had to pay house rents in Enugu and pay other bills.
I accumulated a debt of 1.2million with the company and then is started paying it by bit until the company found out that there was a deficit of 400k. I was arrested and was in the cell for days.
To get out of the cell, I had to sign a legal agreement for a payment plan of paying 30k monthly to offset the debt. Luckily for me, I got a 60k job 1month after, my dad couldn’t pay my last siblings school fees, I took him to Enugu and started Paying his bills. I was also paying 30k from my salary every month until I paid all the lost the job again during the heat of the recession. I managed to pay up that debt.
Since 2018, I haven’t really done any serious job, I started driving Uber in 2019, saved up some money, my mom needed money for business last year, i borrowed her, she couldn’t complete the payment. The car I was using to do the Uber got bad again.
I had to look for a remote job now in Lagos, I saved up money and learnt how to do footwear, i Am saving some money to pay my house and shop rent and get machines.
Last two month my dad called that he needed money for my brother’s school fees so he can complete his SSCE exams. He promised to payback mid last month, now I have not seen the money and my that was my house rent I borrowed him. My house rent expired in August. I called him, and ofcourse, he is playing the emotional game. Now, they are in serious financial mess and they seem not to want stop dragging me into it and it’s not as if I am doing great myself. I am not, I’m struggling to make something after mortgaging a lot of time paying several debts. It is overwhelming.

The point is, I am 31years old, I’m looking forward to making my own family and it seem if I am not careful, they will drag me back from this objective. Anytime I try to organize myself, they come up with their monetary problems and it hinders my growth. My plan was to get a shop and equip it before the end of first quarter 2022 from the saving I made from my current 80k salary and now they have collected my house rent in form of a loan. That’s a drawback again.

I have to make my own family, I need to shed some burden to be able to do that. I also want to be a parent and I never want to depend on my kids in my old age.
Should I cut them off?

Chinasa, as an older man to you with more experience I believe that you will eventually become a very successful person in the future. That's my prophecy based on the narrative you have given about your personal financial troubles. You are very hardworking and obviously versatile considering the different skill sets you have and jobs you've done.

Here's my advice. Do not cut off your family. Because family is family good or bad. Your father has made some poor choices. It happens to even the best business brains in the world.
However there also seems to be a parasitic reliance on you for financial help. This is common in Nigerian families. Its also common in Igbo families. Using my own family as an example no less than 10 members of our extended family has lived in our house when I was growing up. Uncles and aunties at some point when they were young and in need of financial assistance. In our culture anyone with means is expected to help others.

This is not always healthy and many times causes problems for the helper. But that's African tradition for you.

What you should do is learn when to say no. If your father or mother asks you for N100k. If you only have N150k in your account give them N20k or N10k. That way you have made a contribution and not created a new problem for yourself. Your folks will gradually look to other sources to make up the shortfall while not making you broke in the process.

Good luck bro. The sky is your limit.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by EngrchidiG25(m): 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
I have the same issues with my own parent and I said to dad you want to make heaven and want me to steal to give you only you like heaven me heaven no fit me but of a truth African parent sometimes are not helping bros you carried the family problems on your head learn to carry it on your shoulders and set a standard or put your parents on stipend if the burden is much on them that's what my sister did and it is working and also tell them not to leave above their income

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by melodyogonna(m): 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
They're still family boss, if you don't help them who will?
The problem I see is that you let sentiments get over logical reasoning, when you don't have you should always make it clear you don't have so they can pursue other avenues, not destroying your plans, even stealing from your company (you can call it borrowing if you won't).

In a nutshell you should help your family if you have the funds to help them, don't kill yourself if you don't. You wanted to help your dad offset debts so you accumulated one yourself? Thereby transferring the debt from him to you?

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by ImaIma1(f): 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2021
ahnie:
What my mum was constantly doing to me...I have blocked her number for some weeks now,and have had peace of mind now.

shocked

Seriously? But some parents shaaaa. They are not considerate. And they will always use that emotional blackmail as if we asked them to bring us into the world.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Johel(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:

Should I cut them off?

Cut them off...not because u are mad at them,but because you have to build yourself too...31 is the age of building,then the real adult life begins at 40....Use this period to cut off anything that drains u mentally and financially so u can have time to save and set yourself up for the future...When you are set and pleased at your achievements,then you can reconnect back to those u cut off from,when you explain the reasons for your actions they will understand and even congratulate you afterwards to taking that bold step into success....Las Las we go dey alrite..

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by TripleAkutigi: 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
[/quote] My own be say serve your parents for their are already serve you in the past, which you too don't what their went through about you, don't deceive.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
Workch:
when this wanted to happen in my family, I looked my dad in the face and made him understand that his children including me are his responsibilities and he can’t make me his retirement plan. I can only help when it’s convenient for me.
I didn’t choose to be born, he made the decision
I don't fancy atheism like that but I like this boldness cool
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by chris51(f): 12:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
I am thinking of staying away for a while to get myself together.
I have a girl friend who works with a federal university, she’s smart and ideal for me but whenever I think about all these, I get scared of taking up marital responsibilities.
I think I have to stay away for awhile to focus on myself and making a family. What do you think?

If possible, you should relocate and far away from your parents. What happened to the flats your father was building?
I sense you and your parents don't have family plan. If not, your dad should have built a flat from his gratuity and use some the remaining money to set himself and your mother up in petty trading.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by babtoundey(m): 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
A situation I'm facing is a little bit similar. I lent my Mama 50k URGENTLY. She knew I couldn't afford such amount at that moment I would need that money to Ballance up my school fees and rent, yet she kept silent. I knew she has the money, but she doesn't really care how I got the vacuum filled up. I have resolved not to bother her. I'm certain that is the bus-stop. When next she comes knocking with urgent this or that, I will only give her the amount I can afford.No more, no less.

So, my dear brother, there is no point cutting them off else you regret it bitterly for the rest of your life. It's obvious they constitute heavy burden on your finances and growth, nonetheless, you need to recognize that they are your parents. That clause is very sacrosanct. There were times they had the options of denying you everything that qualifies you the formal and informal skills you have attained today, but they endured and sacrificed their flesh, bone and blood for you.

That they are your parents and have done their bids in bringing you up doesn't mean you should kill yourself for them anyways. Learn to say "No", "I don't have that amount", I will try", "I will see what I can do" or "I am broke" to their importunate demands.

The time they ask 100k, give them if you can afford it. if all you can afford is 2k or 1k out of a 100k, don't hesitate to make them understand. You can't ruin yourself all because you want to please anybody.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Limassol(m): 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
The simple art of saying "NO", firmly and assertively could have saved you from this deep mess you found yourself in. From Now henceforth,learn to put yourself first in almost every situation before any other person, no matter who they are. Learn your lessons and move on. And no, don't ever sever ties with your parents no matter what!

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
marsup:
Don't be an unfortunate bigot. Must you display unwarranted foolishness, just to pass your message across? So what if he is Ibo by tribe?
Clueless Ibo must talk. Na your papa and mama displayed foo. lishness by not training you well. Chai. And you just showed the f.oolishness gene in your generation. Find a deliverance church to save you fast.

The truth is bitter. Ibo will always not want to hesr the truth. Chai! Na so you mama and papa dey clueless and foo.lish?

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Amanee(f): 12:21pm On Oct 10, 2021
I will not advise you to block them, grow a spine and make sure your no means no.

My family members already know me for that one, I will never put myself in debt to sort out anybody's needs. If I cannot afford it, I cannot afford it, shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by descarado: 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
Workch:
when this wanted to happen in my family, I looked my dad in the face and made him understand that his children including me are his responsibilities and he can’t make me his retirement plan. I can only help when it’s convenient for me.
I didn’t choose to be born, he made the decision
@op, listen to this wise saying.
Respect man.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by chris51(f): 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
chris51:

If possible, you should relocate and far away from your parents. What happened to the flats your father was building?
I sense you and your parents don't have family plan. If not, your dad should have built a flat from his gratuity and use some the remaining money to set himself and your mother up in petty trading.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by FiverrTutor(m): 12:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
kingphilip:
And that is why it is good to marry early, bear all your children early too so that before retirement, they should at least be all off school.

I won't tell you to cut them off completely but like I do tell me, have a budget before your salary comes, immediately you get the salary, implement your budget and the cash left over you can use it to render help or borrow others as you can but you know you've settled most key expenses of yours.

What you said @bolded doesn't make any sense. The truth is that if the father had stopped bearing too many kids it would have been far easier for him and also if he had invested his gratuity wisely he would have been enjoying his retirement children or no children.... Oga think like a wise man not a Nigerian. Sometimes I wonder why u all have this mentality of depending on your children during old age? Even if you had them early it gives you no right to completely depend on them because their attention will be on their young family and not you

3 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Kobicove(m): 12:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
You need to first save yourself before you start trying to save anyone else!
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by dingbang(m): 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
You first.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by theReset(m): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
Don't even try to cut your mother off at all. You will definitely need her, rich or broke.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by onegig(m): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
This is actually very simple.

There's no need to cut any one off. You are learned, your dad seems to not know how to handle money and investment.

Why aren't you using your knowledge to actually help them reorganize their business?

Sit him down, do the maths.

What's their monthly spending? What are their needs?

What is one off payments they need to make towards the education of your siblings?

What are the investments they have and can restructure? You said he has an uncompleted building in Ogun. What are you guys doing about it? Taking a loan to complete it so it can generate profit or selling off to divest into a new biz?

You sure can cut them off but would that resolve the issue? You should be pragmatic. Most of our parents aren't good with money or have enterprenueral skills. Let other nairalanders tell you their tales. Give them 1M today and 6months down the line the business is bankrupt already.

You can choose to take a positive step or sit back and think cutting them off would solve the problem( it won't).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by lordswill03: 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2021
Your younger ones should look for something to do to help themselves too
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by bdon123(m): 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:

Should I cut them off?
I feel ur pain bro.I have been having same issues jst like u...bt urs seem so much more.Look u need to put u first as u cant continue like this.U are hardly making ends meet bt d load u carrying is beyond u.If u want to make something out of ur life,u need to take d bull by d horn n cut dem out.At least they can feed n roof over their head.i hav always said it that african families tend to drive their children to crime due to so mch financial burden.They drove u to crime,as u stole company money to offset family bills.U need to face ur own life n grow urself ,then u can come back to help out in future wen u buoyant enough.Right now u in a rat race n u need out.
Say to urself me first
NB:My own dad collected gratuity n made bad financial moves i adviced him against it he never listened.we going tru something similar so i understand.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by kazyhm(m): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
efficiencie:
@chinasaekpere from your post I can see that you have inherited the pattern and spirit of the waters and emptiers from your parents. Yes, your Dad is religious but he is not spiritual. You need to go for deliverance. If you cannot go for deliverance, get prayer points from Dr. D. K. Olukoya (http://mfmjesu-ga.org/2016/05/02/the-battle-against-the-wasters/) and pray before you make another decision. If you don't break from the pattern of your parents you will repeat their mistakes just as you have already started making the mistakes.

You see these people....run far away from them.....they will trap you the way they trapped your dad..

If not jazz why will someone work for 35years with no much to show but paid donation and bought instrument for the church before anything else from his gratuity ?

The mistake your father make was requesting the church to pray for him to receive his gratuity while he is alive but he had to make deal with the same money.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by cayorday89(m): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
ewami:
I have no issues with his stories until I read HE PAID TITHE AND BOUGHT INSTRUMENTS.
I should have called ur dad a compound fool but I won't .
Why is his church not there for him now. If u dont have the balls to call a spade a spade and define it with ur dad. You may not do anything with your life.
Drop mic.
Funny enough, there is little he can do in that aspect, some parents believe they do all that for their children when all hope is lost on themselves, their religious leaders deceive them that their children will benefit it in the future...
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Originalsly: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2021
It's not a matter of fulfilling their wants .... or cutting them off completely. My advice is to budget an amount that you can afford to give them each month and let them manage it in whatever way they see fit. You don't have to listen to their problems ... their plans... their financial situation period. They made their bed and need to now lay on it. If you continue like this ... you would never be able to make your bed so where are you going to lay? At 31 the plan is still on paper ... bro ... focus on your future.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Bamzyriches451: 1:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
Damn
Don't ditch them completely, they are your family and all you have for now.
What you have to do now is to learn how to say "NO" Sometimes it will help you, whenever they ask you for some funds tell them you don't have except there's a serious issue they want to solve with the money
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by dapadawee: 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2021
Why cut them off
The only thing u need here is do what you are capable of doing. Give them from what u have left. Focus on your dream.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by greatiyk4u(m): 1:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
@chinazaekpere
What stage is the house project on at the moment?

Your parents should be thinking of relocating home by now to start enjoying their retirement without much stress.

You are a hustler and will surely surmount this stage if your siblings start making money, start visiting them more often and equally learn to work on the emotions with stories about how hard things are for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Son Insists 94-year-Old Father Must Not Be Buried In Imo / US Father Takes Unclaimed African Kingdom To Make Daughter A Princess / Trying To Help My Family Member And It Backfired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.