Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,338 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Should I Cut-off My Parents? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Cut-off My Parents? (28137 Views)

Should I Cut Contact With My Step Sister? / 'I Moved Out Of My Parents House Because Of My Mum" - Lady / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by OdogwuEkeke(m): 5:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
If you ask me, I would say your main focus should shift from your parents to your younger ones. The more people working, the lesser burden for you. The second born should also learn a trade and pick up. Black Tax has limited a lot of youngsters out there. I remember earring 150k and was using most of it on people for years, when I lost my job, the same people asked me what have I done in my 6 years working in Lagos. Be deliberate about your decision.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Olunmercy56(f): 5:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
enemyofprogress:
This is exactly the same problem Olunmercy56 is facing right now. Being a first burn is not easy in Nigeria

grin you should face bandits, so that your skull should be used for Nigeria sacrifice grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Olumaeme: 5:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
Seems you don't have NO in your dictionary.

Since you know that your father is irresponsible when it comes to money, then stop having any deal that concerns money with him.

If at this point in your life, you don't have any savings of your own then you are living on a keg of gunpowder.

You don't need to cut him off, whenever he call you, start complaining to him before he even start the money talk.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Asour: 5:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
Acidosis:
There's nothing I want to type now that I haven't mentioned in the past few days both online and offline. You're too young to start carrying so many family burden. You haven't even gotten married and family issues have become so much that if you don't retrace your steps, BP might set in.

Frankly, your dad's issue isn't peculiar at all. Most retired civil servants can't manage gratuity the way a business man would. All their lives, they have only learnt to work with their 5 to 6 figure salary. Civil service commissions don't really train them before making that payment and even if they go through a formal training, at 60 or 65, there is only little the brain can accommodate especially in a completely different field. To add to that, some of them spend recklessly, forgetting that, unlike salary, gratuity comes only once in a lifetime.

And this is where I also blame you. You should have known well enough to ensure that your dad put that money in the right business or asset to prevent you from taking over heavy responsibilities. But that's in the past now.

To answer your question, well you don't have to cut them off per se if you can learn to say 'NO'.

You mean the OP (as a 20-something year old) should tell a ~60 year old man (his father) how to spend his gratuity money?

Would the man listen? In Nigeria here?

Haha

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Acidosis(m): 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
Asour:

You mean the OP (as a 20-something year old) should tell a ~60 year old man (his father) how to spend his gratuity money?

Would the man listen? In Nigeria here?

Haha

Well, it depends on his relationship with his dad. Some parents call their children for investment/finance-related advice.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Hello guys, this is a very strong decision I want to make, I need your help to make this decision or not to. I am thinking of cutting my parents off because they have caused me enormous financial setback as a result of the bad decisions my father made. Firstly, I will like to give you a background of the story.

I come from a family of 4 and I am the first child of my parents. My dad is a retired federal government worker, he worked for many eyes as a school cert holder (so obviously, he didn’t hold very top position until he retired, probably the max in reached was level 8 or 9). He trained me through the university and he retired during my NYSC, at this point one of my brothers was in the university (he never graduated because he was nonchalant), my 3rd brother was a jambite and the last born was in primary school. The Jambite graduated this year and the last born is now a jambite.

In 2013, my dad retired and received gratuity worth several millions. My mom tried persuading him to build a house in the village because we are Igbos but Based in ogun state but my dad refused and insisted that he was going to develop his land in ogun state by building a 4 flats building (up stairs) then start business with the remaining money in Ogun state (apparently, he got the revelation from church to do that), he never completed the house. My dad is very religious until date, so out of the money he paid tithe, bought instruments for church and made some donations. Immediately I finished serving, I got a job with a pharmaceutical company as a medical sales representative. I was receiving a salary of 80k with commission. Things started great. I served some money I joined my dad in some of his fish farm business, I was in Enugu while he was doing the farm business in ogun state. When it was time to harvest the fish, I was told stories about theft, I spent 700k on the business but was able to recover 200k because I had to help him offset some debt.

To cut the long story short, my dad started having serious financial issues, couldn’t pay school fees of my last born in school, had several debts just about 2years after collecting millions as gratuity due to his wrong choice of investment. Ofcourse the financial burden transcended to me, until a point that my dad got into trouble from another debt, he spent church harvest savings that he was suppose to remit. I was paying my brothers school fees worth 150k per term, i had to take money from company’s account to help him offset the debt hoping that he would pay up and I will pay some before company finds out. The whole financial burden was so huge for a starter like me, owing to the fact that I lost all my savings to the fish farming business and I also had to pay house rents in Enugu and pay other bills.
I accumulated a debt of 1.2million with the company and then is started paying it by bit until the company found out that there was a deficit of 400k. I was arrested and was in the cell for days.
To get out of the cell, I had to sign a legal agreement for a payment plan of paying 30k monthly to offset the debt. Luckily for me, I got a 60k job 1month after, my dad couldn’t pay my last siblings school fees, I took him to Enugu and started Paying his bills. I was also paying 30k from my salary every month until I paid all the lost the job again during the heat of the recession. I managed to pay up that debt.
Since 2018, I haven’t really done any serious job, I started driving Uber in 2019, saved up some money, my mom needed money for business last year, i borrowed her, she couldn’t complete the payment. The car I was using to do the Uber got bad again.
I had to look for a remote job now in Lagos, I saved up money and learnt how to do footwear, i Am saving some money to pay my house and shop rent and get machines.
Last two month my dad called that he needed money for my brother’s school fees so he can complete his SSCE exams. He promised to payback mid last month, now I have not seen the money and my that was my house rent I borrowed him. My house rent expired in August. I called him, and ofcourse, he is playing the emotional game. Now, they are in serious financial mess and they seem not to want stop dragging me into it and it’s not as if I am doing great myself. I am not, I’m struggling to make something after mortgaging a lot of time paying several debts. It is overwhelming.

The point is, I am 31years old, I’m looking forward to making my own family and it seem if I am not careful, they will drag me back from this objective. Anytime I try to organize myself, they come up with their monetary problems and it hinders my growth. My plan was to get a shop and equip it before the end of first quarter 2022 from the saving I made from my current 80k salary and now they have collected my house rent in form of a loan. That’s a drawback again.

I have to make my own family, I need to shed some burden to be able to do that. I also want to be a parent and I never want to depend on my kids in my old age.
Should I cut them off?
If no, what do you advice that I do?
The only problem I see here is:

A GUY THAT DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SAY “NO”.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by thaprofit88: 5:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Hello guys, this is a very strong decision I want to make, I need your help to make this decision or not to. I am thinking of cutting my parents off because they have caused me enormous financial setback as a result of the bad decisions my father made. Firstly, I will like to give you a background of the story.

I come from a family of 4 and I am the first child of my parents. My dad is a retired federal government worker, he worked for many eyes as a school cert holder (so obviously, he didn’t hold very top position until he retired, probably the max in reached was level 8 or 9). He trained me through the university and he retired during my NYSC, at this point one of my brothers was in the university (he never graduated because he was nonchalant), my 3rd brother was a jambite and the last born was in primary school. The Jambite graduated this year and the last born is now a jambite.

In 2013, my dad retired and received gratuity worth several millions. My mom tried persuading him to build a house in the village because we are Igbos but Based in ogun state but my dad refused and insisted that he was going to develop his land in ogun state by building a 4 flats building (up stairs) then start business with the remaining money in Ogun state (apparently, he got the revelation from church to do that), he never completed the house. My dad is very religious until date, so out of the money he paid tithe, bought instruments for church and made some donations. Immediately I finished serving, I got a job with a pharmaceutical company as a medical sales representative. I was receiving a salary of 80k with commission. Things started great. I served some money I joined my dad in some of his fish farm business, I was in Enugu while he was doing the farm business in ogun state. When it was time to harvest the fish, I was told stories about theft, I spent 700k on the business but was able to recover 200k because I had to help him offset some debt.

To cut the long story short, my dad started having serious financial issues, couldn’t pay school fees of my last born in school, had several debts just about 2years after collecting millions as gratuity due to his wrong choice of investment. Ofcourse the financial burden transcended to me, until a point that my dad got into trouble from another debt, he spent church harvest savings that he was suppose to remit. I was paying my brothers school fees worth 150k per term, i had to take money from company’s account to help him offset the debt hoping that he would pay up and I will pay some before company finds out. The whole financial burden was so huge for a starter like me, owing to the fact that I lost all my savings to the fish farming business and I also had to pay house rents in Enugu and pay other bills.
I accumulated a debt of 1.2million with the company and then is started paying it by bit until the company found out that there was a deficit of 400k. I was arrested and was in the cell for days.
To get out of the cell, I had to sign a legal agreement for a payment plan of paying 30k monthly to offset the debt. Luckily for me, I got a 60k job 1month after, my dad couldn’t pay my last siblings school fees, I took him to Enugu and started Paying his bills. I was also paying 30k from my salary every month until I paid all the lost the job again during the heat of the recession. I managed to pay up that debt.
Since 2018, I haven’t really done any serious job, I started driving Uber in 2019, saved up some money, my mom needed money for business last year, i borrowed her, she couldn’t complete the payment. The car I was using to do the Uber got bad again.
I had to look for a remote job now in Lagos, I saved up money and learnt how to do footwear, i Am saving some money to pay my house and shop rent and get machines.
Last two month my dad called that he needed money for my brother’s school fees so he can complete his SSCE exams. He promised to payback mid last month, now I have not seen the money and my that was my house rent I borrowed him. My house rent expired in August. I called him, and ofcourse, he is playing the emotional game. Now, they are in serious financial mess and they seem not to want stop dragging me into it and it’s not as if I am doing great myself. I am not, I’m struggling to make something after mortgaging a lot of time paying several debts. It is overwhelming.

The point is, I am 31years old, I’m looking forward to making my own family and it seem if I am not careful, they will drag me back from this objective. Anytime I try to organize myself, they come up with their monetary problems and it hinders my growth. My plan was to get a shop and equip it before the end of first quarter 2022 from the saving I made from my current 80k salary and now they have collected my house rent in form of a loan. That’s a drawback again.

I have to make my own family, I need to shed some burden to be able to do that. I also want to be a parent and I never want to depend on my kids in my old age.
Should I cut them off?

The answer to your question is ask yourself how far you would have gone in life if you hadn’t responded to them. If you can answer that in all sincerity then you will also find the lesson close by that you can’t help people while you are on the ground. If you had declined all those previous attempts at dragging you into the mess you would have by now attained a position of advantage at least to be able to help effectively. I dare to say that it may come a time when while making them understand how much you sacrificed for them, they will tell you to your face that it was your idea to help them and they didn’t force you to.
Lear from this.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by IMASTEX: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
What you've typed here is one of the major reasons many Nigerians flood religion houses bindding generational problems, when most times it is just a prolonged ill-choices from one generation to the other. It might not be easy to break away completely until they themselves start getting it right especially your dad. Firstly, your parents will never support you settling down anytime soon because that will mean you now have direct commitment hence hindered chances for them. Secondly, always share less info about your hustle, in fact create the impression of being on the street, i.e. Try to seek their urgent help once in a while for cogent reasons. So they will start adjusting to the reality that you're in need. The truth is, the over dependency on one another in Nigeria especially the average family is something else, this is why it becomes difficult to pull out of poverty easily. It is a bounding kind of family system that is practiced hence it makes you always feel that sense of responsibility when you can naturally. Two the opportunities & chances of making money, i.e. jobs are slim, thus it is an easy excuse for few to be the mother hen. This chain effect causes harm in the African setting.
In conclusion, just try to apply wisdom so it won't create a family biff and at the same time you won't sink your life. Just do what you can, never disposed what will directly bring you into negative. Note that more responsibilities even await you and others when your parents age further with the associated packages. Try to counsel your dad and even your siblings on how to create wealth for themselves.

Cc
@flexherbal what have you to say on this matter.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Tzar(m): 5:56pm On Oct 10, 2021
Your situation is the typical Nigerian toxic family story. You & your parents are plagued by poor financial intelligence.
How does a retired man’s son go to a 150k per term school? Your salary and his pension can not cope with a 500k cost centre from just ONE person o.
Nigerians have built a culture of continuously living far beyond their financial means, yet they wonder why they are chained to poverty.
1. You must learn to say NO. Learn not to succumb to the selfish emotional blackmail by Nigerian family members. Be compassionate and reasonable about what you reject from them, but be firm nonetheless.
2. Never borrow what you cannot afford to dash out. Your parents like ALL Nigerians NEVER plam to pay back their debt. So NEVER borrow anyone money you cannot forego.
3. You and your entire family MUST learn how to live according to your means… even if you have to temporarily look poor living like that.
4. Ensure you choose a wife that knows financial management & is not wasteful. You & your family clearly have zero financial management skills, & your life will be hell if you marry someone with the same deficiency as yours.

Good luck to you . You have an uphill task ahead of you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Asour: 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
Acidosis:

Well, it depends on his relationship with his dad. Some parents call their children for investment/finance-related advice.

Really?

I don't doubt, but I am yet to see such.

I have a feeling those that do would likely be children who are themselves well to do.
Not a new graduate trying to make his way through life.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by EndBuhariNow(m): 6:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
You are very stupid , lemme say the stupid you be no be here , I was expecting to hear you caught ur old man pant down with ur sister or one of ur relatives... here my short sorry, we are family of 6, am the last child, my dad was busy traveling here and there for business purposes, and the last time I could remember he paid my school fees was in primary 3, since then my mother do the rest , he later travelled to Europe for greener pastures, he spent 4 years and made a lot of money, he came back that was the year I got admission at Marine Academy Oron to follow my passion, he didn't pay a dime for my studies and that of my other siblings despite I having that money then, the only property in town he bought while abroad , he came back and sold it, to make the matter worst he didn't invest it in building a house of his own in the village merely because his father my grandpa left a storey building for him as first son, he succeeded in selling the house and other landed property and used the money to ventured into a business and they scammed him millions of Naira, I didn't pursue my dream to be a sailor due to lack of fund, I tried all my possible best but no one helping my lovely Mom didn't have because if she does I will not cry in dark... I left Nigeria to Libya through desert at the age of 17years 5 months , my bossom friend died in that particular journey, I survived it only by God grace , I spent 2 years in Libya and Italy asylum house before they deport me to Liberia, to cut the story shut, I suffered humiliation from my dad, he is the type that use others success to mock you, I spent so many years in house doing absolutely nothing surviving by my own, I believe one day I will make it once I no do crime ... I struggled and save money and leave Nigeria after spending 11 years home doing nothing, nobody contributed a dime for my travel, but I must tell you today God has richly blessed me and I can't stop thanking him enough, I am currently buying all the landed properties he sold back with his name, I have built that mansion he refuse to built in the villa, my next plan is to buy another property in town as replacement of the one he sold, all these are with his name, I never for one day blame him for his mistake, I forgiven and forgotten, he denied us so many things not that he don't have it them, but he prefer helping others than his own family, I knw how many people he once paid their university school fees, we are one big happy family now, hear out, if you want to succeed try to learn how to forgive and forget, I heard u saying of having family of ur own,though its good but be useful to urself before doing that, marriage is not an achievement, most of my mates then are with 3 or more kids but I will tell you , I just have my first this year and am not complaining..be a man and let go I didn't even see anything bad he do u self..

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Acidosis(m): 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
EndBuhariNow:
[s] you are very stupid , lemme say the stupid you be no be here , I was expecting to hear you caught ur old man pant down with ur sister or one of ur relatives... here my short sorry [/s]

I would advise that you read his story properly for understanding. Did you send N1 million to your dad on your way to Libya? Why did you leave your family behind to hustle?
Leaving your family behind was your own way of cutting them off.

You should have waited back in Nigeria na if you love your father so much, and sending him 15k from N30k NPower money and still hope to build a "mansion".

If this young man you called stupid does not make some bold move like you did, you will still curse him tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Acidosis(m): 6:47pm On Oct 10, 2021
Asour:

Really?

I don't doubt, but I am yet to see such.

I have a feeling those that do would likely be children who are themselves well to do.
Not a new graduate trying to make his way through life.

Oh well. I guess I'm merely speaking from my point of view/experience.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Mandrake20(m): 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
Abeg who read the full story mke hin send me summary...

Advice.......

Op no try ahm o cool
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by ghettochild(m): 7:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
Cut em off Asap...
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Workch: 7:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
[s]
gen2lpat:
You are the first of 4 and obviously the opara. Your problem is your mentality.

From the story, the only place your dad faulted was the fish farming investment. Others are responsibility you mentally referred to as lend, borrow.

I'm the first son, I started a business for my mum when I was 29 and now building a house for my parents @ 32. Have spent millions but I am guided with the mentality that these are my responsibilities.

Any assistance you render to your siblings or parents are responsibilities. How can you even say you borrowed your mum money to start business when I expect you to say you assisted her with finance to start up a business.

Fix your reasoning.

If you want to cut off your parents, then please relinquish your rights as first son. No come dey chuk eye for family properties of you can't shoulder responsibility and be calm about it.

Ndewo
[/s] easy for you to say. You don't have any idea what's happening today
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
I swr you're confusing my confusion...I can understand the beginning of your comment despite the amount of cases in it but the end I lost for there shocked wetin consign religious leaders with wetin I talk??
cayorday89:

Even at that, do you understand that your case and that of OP are not the same in totality, even if I can relate, his case and my case are also not the same, even if I have the close to the same thought as you, my case and your case is not still the same... But in all we all should learn that religious leaders won't solve financial problems rather they will complicate it...
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Ekugbeh(m): 7:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
[/quote]boss, it's very easy. If they ask you for money, tell them you don't have. Them no no kill u. The will sort it out themselves. Stop bothering yourself[quote author=chinasaekpere post=106528753]Hello guys, this is a very strong decision I want to make, I need your help to make this decision or not to. I am thinking of cutting my parents off because they have caused me enormous financial setback as a result of the bad decisions my father made. Firstly, I will like to give you a background of the story.

Should I cut them off?
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Workch: 7:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
babtoundey:
A situation I'm facing is a little bit similar. I lent my Mama 50k URGENTLY. She knew I couldn't afford such amount at that moment I would need that money to Ballance up my school fees and rent, yet she kept silent. I knew she has the money, but she doesn't really care how I got the vacuum filled up. I have resolved not to bother her. I'm certain that is the bus-stop. When next she comes knocking with urgent this or that, I will only give her the amount I can afford.No more, no less.

So, my dear brother, there is no point cutting them off else you regret it bitterly for the rest of your life. It's obvious they constitute heavy burden on your finances and growth, nonetheless, you need to recognize that they are your parents. That clause is very sacrosanct. There were times they had the options of denying you everything that qualifies you the formal and informal skills you have attained today, but they endured and sacrificed their flesh, bone and blood for you.

That they are your parents and have done their bids in bringing you up doesn't mean you should kill yourself for them anyways. Learn to say "No", "I don't have that amount", I will try", "I will see what I can do" or "I am broke" to their importunate demands.

The time they ask 100k, give them if you can afford it. if all you can afford is 2k or 1k out of a 100k, don't hesitate to make them understand. You can't ruin yourself all because you want to please anybody.
It's not the child's decision to be born. It's totally the parents responsibility to make children great else they shouldn't have kids.

That's logical enough

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by friendl: 7:44pm On Oct 10, 2021
You better learn how to be self centered ,you think parents are prefect ,you are 200% wrong ,....later in future ,the same parents will ask you what you did with your life .

3 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by god2good: 7:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:

Should I cut them off?

From another angle, If you introduced a lady to them now, they will put the blame on the lady. That she is the one that does not want you to help them again. And it is you that wanted to be stable financially

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Trust me, I have tried.
My parents have the mentality that they have tried their best and I should take up some responsibilities from here. We have had serious rifts on this issue.

Your papa has zero financial planning skills.

You better ignore them and build yourself. They won't die if you don't help them.

He who is down can't help another person that is down to get up.

He wanted to build 4 flats with zero knowledge of how much it costs to build ONE FLAT.

One guy told me he wants to build storey building, i looked at him and laughed.

I told him, oga start with bungalow. When you complete it then you do storey building. He obeyed me and started bungalow but stopped at roofing till today.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Eve4eva(f): 7:52pm On Oct 10, 2021
My advice to you is this: make a budget for your family every month. Once you give them that money, don't give again till next month. Please try to learn to say "NO" because if you get married and try to face your family, they'll blame your wife.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by sben2308(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2021
chinasaekpere:

Should I cut them off?

IF U CUT THEM OFF NOW WHO WILL U USE AS FAMILY BECUASE I KNOW SAY NO B ME CUZ I KNOW TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO O
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by babtoundey(m): 8:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
Workch:
It's not the child's decision to be born. It's totally the parents responsibility to make children great else they shouldn't have kids.

That's logical enough

That simple logic of yours suggests that a child has no responsibility looking after the parents or being sympathetic of the parent's plight. After all, he doesn't wish to be born.

Nobody is in support of parents being leeches on their children or stunting their children growth by making them go insolvent. It is important we you understand that not all parents are parasites. And the few you might called parasites might have at one time or the other, done all they could afford to make their children great. If there were no limitations posed by life challenges and time, every reasonable parent would lead their children to success

So, that logic is not all inclusive. Everyman has limitations. And opportunities, notions and chances are severed by circumstances. That a mother or father demands so much from his or her child at the present moment doesn't mean she has always been useless and irresponsible. It is expected of a parent that has invested a lot in the child to expect some pecuniary gains particularly when they are confronted by crises they feel their child could help them summount. It is left to the child to rule how to relate with them without violating himself or ruining his own chances of living comfortably or as he ought to live.

A child that proves stunt like "I didn't care to be born" when his parents need him is no child. He is an akukubi, something worthless than biscuit.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by hassan4: 8:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
Oga face the challenges. That's why they have you. Keep hustling and take some risks. Family can never be cut off. You think it's just you? We're all in same shit. Soon things will shape up when one or all your brothers sit up.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by EndBuhariNow(m): 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2021
Acidosis:

I would advise that you read his story properly for understanding. Did you send N1 million to your dad on your way to Libya? Why did you leave your family behind to hustle?
Leaving your family behind was your own way of cutting them off.

You should have waited back in Nigeria na if you love your father so much, and sending him 15k from N30k NPower money and still hope to build a "mansion".

If this young man you called stupid does not make some bold move like you did, you will still curse him tomorrow.
I leave because staying back wasn't helping then I have no other option than to leave, I were in his position now then, I will not leave . at least he gave him education, now he want to cut them off merely because of clitocurrency harvester want him to have responsibility with her
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Acidosis(m): 8:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
EndBuhariNow:
I leave because staying back wasn't helping then I have no other option than to leave, I were in his position now then, I will not leave . at least he gave him education, now he want to cut them off merely because of clitocurrency harvester want him to have responsibility with her

This young man also needs to "leave" for a while o. Imagine getting jailed because of loans.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 10, 2021
Acidosis:
There's nothing I want to type now that I haven't mentioned in the past few days both online and offline. You're too young to start carrying so many family burden. You haven't even gotten married and family issues have become so much that if you don't retrace your steps, BP might set in.

Frankly, your dad's issue isn't peculiar at all. Most retired civil servants can't manage gratuity the way a business man would. All their lives, they have only learnt to work with their 5 to 6 figure salary. Civil service commissions don't really train them before making that payment and even if they go through a formal training, at 60 or 65, there is only little the brain can accommodate especially in a completely different field. To add to that, some of them spend recklessly, forgetting that, unlike salary, gratuity comes only once in a lifetime.

And this is where I also blame you. You should have known well enough to ensure that your dad put that money in the right business or asset to prevent you from taking over heavy responsibilities. But that's in the past now.

To answer your question, well you don't have to cut them off per se if you can learn to say 'NO'.
You blame the man for the mistakes of his father?

Lmao! He should’ve have known well enough that the business his dad was doing would fail? Like he should’ve known more than his father? Someone that raised him? You must be very sick.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 10, 2021
TripleOh7:
This is quite something.

Parents have a strong psychological hold on their children.

Those saying "learn to say no" probably have never been in a situation where they had to cater for their parents.

You can't cut off your parents no matter what.

You need to sit both of them down and bare your soul out to them.

Sometimes, we misrepresent our progress to our parents and they think we are doing better than we actually are.

Let them know that you are actually struggling from sliding into abject penury yourself.

Don't be harsh on your father. I believe he raised you right otherwise you won't be feeling guilty about cutting him off.

Don't be harsh on your mother either. She's probably the best human you'll ever meet. (Most mothers usually are)

But you need to let them know that they have to give you time to bounce back on your feet before you can help them again.

Your dad can sell the land which should be worth a lot more now and maybe start a small business for your mother and they can feed from it pending the time you can get back on your feet and your brother who has graduated can get a job and start contributing his quota to ameliorate the family's needs.

The matter of marriage. Be patient. Secure the bag first. No matter how much a woman loves you, if you're broke or struggling, it will be like you're her worst enemy. Don't let her deceive you that she loves you despite your being broke. When the chips are down, she'll be the first to leave.

Focus on your footwear business for the next 2 to 3 years and build it up. Double down. Work hard. Make personal sacrifices. Seize opportunities when they come.

Hopefully, the Universe will smile at you.
COMPLETE LIES AND NONSENSE. How many women do you know personally in Nigeria that have left that marriages for money? To where exactly? Her father’s house? Lol! 80percent of Nigerians are poverty stricken, married people inclusive. There are millions of women struggling out there with their poor husbands including his mom and mine once upon a time, they didn’t leave as you’re claiming. Only prostitutes walk out on a HUSBAND when he’s financially down. He should find a woman who loves him for him in poverty and in wealth. Wrongest marriage advice ever.
Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Acidosis(m): 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
Bobmarie:
You blame the man for the mistakes of his father?

Lmao! He should’ve have known well enough that the business his dad was doing would fail? Like he should’ve known more than his father? Someone that raised him? You must be very sick.

Well I have to admit that my post was based on a very personal experience. While my (own) dad is yet to receive his gratuity, we've had one on one discussions on what to do with the funds and I'm not even his first child. Mind you, he's not uneducated. There are many financial decisions he won't take without involving his children, even to the smallest things like the kind of phone to buy. So your idea of "someone that raised him" is funny.

I don't know how they manage their home but many homes with fairly or uneducated parents rely on their children for ideas.

OP knows his family more than anyone here. As the first child, he should know that any failure or mismanagement will show a ripple effect. If the father cannot trust his idea, then why call him every now and then for money? According to you, the father knows better, so he should sought himself na.

And by the way, that insult was uncalled for. Fine girl like you no suppose dey throw tantrums online.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut-off My Parents? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
Acidosis:

Well I have to admit that my post was based on a very personal experience. While my (own) dad is yet to receive his gratuity, we've had one on one discussions on what to do with the funds and I'm not even his first child. Mind you, he's not uneducated. There are many financial decisions he won't take without involving his children, even to the smallest things like the kind of phone to buy. So your idea of "someone that raised him" is funny.

I don't know how they manage their home but many homes with fairly or uneducated parents rely on their children for ideas.

OP knows his family more than anyone here. As the first child, he should know that any failure or mismanagement will show a ripple effect. If the father cannot trust his idea, then why call him every now and then for money? According to you, the father knows better, so he should sought himself na.

And by the way, that insult was uncalled for. Fine girl like you no suppose dey throw tantrums online.
LOL. You amuse me. Your dad simply asked you all for advice because he is a financially literate man who knows all knowledge is advantageous. He also is a great dad who knows children are to be raised not ruled. Before you all were born, he made financial decisions without even knowing he was going to marry your mom. So keep your funny narrative.

And don’t compare your dad to someone who isn’t willing to listen to his sons cries, according to your story your dad is a real FATHER who listens to his children. You are lucky to have such on your side as we will never see you on Nairaland writing such a pitiful story about your dad taking everything you have over and over again. When you see such stories, thank your lucky stars and shut it if you have nothing else reasonable to say.

A young man on the brink of financial death, disheartened at the thought of his crumbling future comes here to pour out his heart to get advice, you read all the atrocities his parents are doing to him and proceeded to blame him and are still blaming him for not directing his father? Where will he get his own direction from? Is it not because he lacks direction he is here asking for advice? What a disgusting matter to read, this man has no parents, just leeches. If he really cares about his son, he will not destabilize him in such a manner. Do you know what it means to look for yourself?? To find your own feet? No! But his father does because he raised kids and has been YEARS BEFORE HIM. HE KNOWS THAT THIS PERIOD OF MAN’S LIFE IS THE MOST INTENSE AND FRAGILE, HE KNOWS A MAN ONLY NEEDS SUPPORT AT THIS TIME OF HIS LIFE. His father knows all this.

Leave the physical attributes of my face and face the fact that you are still sick for blaming someone who has barely started decisions for himself for the mistakes of his father who has been making decisions before he was born. His parents are vile people who will destroy their son’s future if left to it. Make no mistake, they are not illiterates ( Dad was a civil servant). They know what exactly they are doing. They just don’t care. An average Nigerian parent does not care that they are destroying your future with their OWN bills. As far as those bill get paid, it doesn’t matter who it’s hurts.

You are basically blaming a baby, no difference. And for that you are sick, I don’t see it as an insult I see it as the TRUTH.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Son Insists 94-year-Old Father Must Not Be Buried In Imo / US Father Takes Unclaimed African Kingdom To Make Daughter A Princess / What Was Your Nickname As A Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.