Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b (18951 Views)

Obasa Gets N17m Monthly For Maintenance Of Personal Residence, Guest House / Customs Generates N1.3tr In 2019, Exceeds Target By N404bn / Buhari Marks Inauguration With N61 Million 2019 Mercedes Benz (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by Ovamboland(m): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2021
tctrills:

Don't just read the headlines, understand the reason behind the news.
Highspeed rail is very expensive yet super comfortable and fast.
The UK citizens can aford high fares. Do you have an idea how much train tickets cost?
In the US, the cheapest ticket cost $20. This is over N8000
You really expect Nigerian's to pay 8k from lag to ibadan?
You believe Nigeria can compete with Uk? You are very very funny

When the SGR was under construction it was been mocked as too slow and not high speed bullet train. Many kids here claimed the whole world is building bullets train. I asked if they know the cost of bullet train and the ticket cost to keep it running?

Now we see the ticket price of 2500 which some say is too expensive can't even turn the project to money spinner.

They don't know not all wants are needs. The SGR is adequate for our needs now. High speed bullet trains will come later.

However the freight trains will increase the revenue from the rail by up to 4 or 5 times significantly increasing the revenue. But it will still not be up to our loan repayment obligations. We will start paying in 2024, we have 3 years to maximize the utilization of the railway including handling the import and export of Niger republic

1 Like

Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by Ovamboland(m): 8:02pm On Oct 09, 2021
SocialJustice:
Hmm, since you can't use Google and you think it's all in my head, let's leave it there.

Easy way to escape substantiating your false claims
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by tctrills: 11:14pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ovamboland:

When the SGR was under construction it was been mocked as too slow and not high speed bullet train. Many kids here claimed the whole world is building bullets train. I asked if they know the cost of bullet train and the ticket cost to keep it running?

Now we see the ticket price of 2500 which some say is too expensive can't even turn the project to money spinner.

They don't know not all wants are needs. The SGR is adequate for our needs now. High speed bullet trains will come later.

However the freight trains will increase the revenue from the rail by up to 4 or 5 times significantly increasing the revenue. But it will still not be up to our loan repayment obligations. We will start paying in 2024, we have 3 years to maximize the utilization of the railway including handling the import and export of Niger republic
Just do the maths.
We are not making a 50% or even a 100% lose.
Nigeria is making almost 6000% lose from rail.
I can sure even the freight can't bridge that gap.
China has fooled many countries into these foolish projects. It's part of their belt and road project.
I can give you a list of more than 10 countries that have fallen for these Chinese loan's and projects that don't really serve the masses.

Again if you feel Nigeria would turn this to a financial success then I would have to ask you to name any government business project that ended well
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by tctrills: 11:23pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ovamboland:

Sorry you're not exposed at all with this line of argument.

That railway is not highspeed railway, that's why it's cheap and it's main purpose is cargo, passenger service is an addendum.

Business people who have stake in the economy running to billions won't reason at your level. They know the impact the rail service will have on their business, logistics and turnaround time. You can see beyond the passenger traffic
I laugh at your argument.
If it is good business, have you asked yourself why the business community is not paying for the rails? Since they would make bastard money they should be the ones making the investment instead of the government taking loans.
The business class knows that it would be a total lose so the left for our foolish government.

You are trying to convince yourself that a business that costs 60 billion to run and only brings in 1 billion is a good business. Only a Nigerian politician can think like that.

There is always an excuse to invest big money. That's what our politicians love.
If you want to be honest to yourself mention on business venture owned by the Nigerian government that is successful.
Is it our airline or nnpc or the iron and steel.
That you fall for this shows that you are either a foreigner that those not understand Nigeria or part of the politician that are profiting from this.
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by tctrills: 12:03am On Oct 10, 2021
Ovamboland:

Something tells me you have not been following Chinese belt and road disaster in africa.
Our leaders fell for it and not we would pay the price.. 60 billion in operation ando 100s of billions in loan repayment
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by orisa37: 12:27am On Oct 10, 2021
Very absurd. Let them get a loan to finance the Funds they need for Maintenance. Let them review their Prices and Tariffs to pay back the N6.5bn.
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by Ovamboland(m): 2:06am On Oct 10, 2021
tctrills:

I laugh at your argument.
If it is good business, have you asked yourself why the business community is not paying for the rails? Since they would make bastard money they should be the ones making the investment instead of the government taking loans.
The business class knows that it would be a total lose so the left for our foolish government.

You are trying to convince yourself that a business that costs 60 billion to run and only brings in 1 billion is a good business. Only a Nigerian politician can think like that.

There is always an excuse to invest big money. That's what our politicians love.
If you want to be honest to yourself mention on business venture owned by the Nigerian government that is successful.
Is it our airline or nnpc or the iron and steel.
That you fall for this shows that you are either a foreigner that those not understand Nigeria or part of the politician that are profiting from this.

False information, it doesn't cost 60bn to run the rails, that is for capital investment including rehabilitation of moribund railway in another part of the country.
I've made it clear that rail investment is not a money spinner that's why you hardly see private investors flocking to rail projects all over the world even in USA, UK, China, Japan etc go to Malaysia, Indonesia, South Africa it's govt investment all the way.
I don't know who deceived you there are private investors lining up to finance Rail projects.

Yet there's no advanced or emerging countries not investing in rail that should tell you it's crucial to have railway even if it's not spinning money directly.

There are crucial industries like that eg Machine tool manufacturing, strategic must have but not money spinning hot cakes investment.

Hope you learn one day not everything in the world is about money and direct profit.
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by tctrills: 9:28am On Oct 10, 2021
Ovamboland:

False information, it doesn't cost 60bn to run the rails, that is for capital investment including rehabilitation of moribund railway in another part of the country.
I've made it clear that rail investment is not a money spinner that's why you hardly see private investors flocking to rail projects all over the world even in USA, UK, China, Japan etc go to Malaysia, Indonesia, South Africa it's govt investment all the way.
I don't know who deceived you there are private investors lining up to finance Rail projects.

Yet there's no advanced or emerging countries not investing in rail that should tell you it's crucial to have railway even if it's not spinning money directly.

There are crucial industries like that eg Machine tool manufacturing, strategic must have but not money spinning hot cakes investment.

Hope you learn one day not everything in the world is about money and direct profit.
What areally you saying... N61 billion is the cost of running our rails did you not read the post?

Now, we have the private sector building roads, airports, seaports but you believe only government should build rails?

Taiwan is spending $16 billion on their rail, most of the money is coming from the private sector.

If you know the history of the American rail, you would know that much of it was built by private sector.

In Europe, the have very high tax so it's no big deal for their government's to provide all the amenities.

The more I read your post, the more I suspect you are one of our politicians.

The budget of the rail sector is going to be N60 billion, yearly in 10 years, a very poor country like nigeria would spend N600 billion not counting the loan or inflation or added cost as we build more rails.

You politician should fear God
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by litaninja(m): 11:05am On Oct 10, 2021
Lmao. I just closed the tab on reading the thing. No need to comment sef.

Esseite:
Personnel cost N9bn, generated N1.13bn, requesting N61b.. at a time people are avoiding the Kaduna/Abuja road route.. what happens when it's open devoid of kidnappers?

Does this even make sense?... would you run your personnel business this way?
Re: Railway Corporation Seeks N61.5b For Maintenance, Generates N1.13b by mbos: 3:28pm On Oct 10, 2021
iwaeda:

Lalasticlala what a nation, you generated N1.3b and N61.5b to buy spare parts .maintenance. Very interesting.
yes now a country where every one is after oil money. Imagine running the rails at a lose...only to ask for oil money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bako Distances Self From LP’s Campaign Council, Says He Remains In APC / Wike Inches Closer To Joining APC As Loyalists Storm Party / Dickson Accuses Pro-jonathan Group Of Destabilising Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.