Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. (66894 Views)

I Was Offered ₦71M To Withdraw The Case - Timothy Adegoke's Wife / Maid Locked Up, Fed With Cockroaches & Faeces By Her Madam In Anambra (Graphic) / T.I Nathan 2012 Tweet About Rape: "The Day I See You I'm Going To Rape You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Ola17: 2:34pm On Oct 10, 2021
daddytime:

[s]Bro, you were and still very naive.

I put it to you that the police have their facts on this quote below and trust me, you'd look like a Dundee by the time the prove it to you by releasing a transcript and translation of your telephone conversations including all the nonsense codes you thought you were using lol.

You be smallie aswear...

Nothing beats living and earning right.

Any attempt or group of attempt(s) to circumvent or cut corners iife has always been met with disgrace and unending sorrows as this.

For some, it comes pretty early into their chosen lifestyle, while for some, it comes way much later after they must have long thought and believed they successfully had one over life.

If I give you part of my small gist even you go burst laugh for that jete wey you dey so...

" Here is what police had to say...... Since Mr Bah has been in custody he has made numerous phone the the calls to different countries, we believe Mr Bah belong to international criminal organisation" [/s]

Kindly shut up and get off your high horse.
The issue on ground is if he really committed the crime or not and if there’s any miscarriage of justice. No one is interested in your useless stories and sanctimonious grandstanding.

Wether powerhouse5050 bought six or six hundred suvs in two months isn't why he’s in jail but for rape, those cars didn’t play any role in his case as far as I can see but trust most Nigerians, their jealousy attitude and stupid logic; he bought six suvs in two months therefore he must be guilty of anything he’s accused of. Listen, anyone not giving the op the benefit of doubt with the evidence he’s posted so far is a sadist! Especially that lady mouthing off that she’s a JD or whatever, this is how most Nigerians in America behave, siding the system even if their own is being wronged.

Thanks Chatinent, you are doing a great job.
powerhouse5050 I pray you are vindicated and duly compensated if you are truly innocent. A lot of people need to be put to shame.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Ola17: 2:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
owagbeba:

Brother,

Is it necessary calling Mr Bah names like “smallee” ? This man is down and you are rubbing it in, why?

Let us all learn to nice to the others. I see a lot of unnecessary insults and comment here on Nairaland. It is really sad to read.

He is here seeking help. It’s nice to offer him help if you have the wherewithal, not insults to him.

Please!

Nicely said man!
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by onlyforchrist: 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
Skyview01:

Why do you think he is a troll?
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by onlyforchrist: 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
Skyview01:

Holy, shite! A female judge and possibly racist! I am beginning to understand the reason for the harsh sentencing.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Henrypraise: 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
chatinent:

Please allow her comment. It's the essence of this thread. We are here for justice, right? These are the stepping stones to it.

I thought so too, it's good to analyze issues from different perspectives, they will form a core for any counsel ready to defend the accused...

@ powerhouse5050 you really have to keep shut online, gather the persons who have rallied round you and talk to them, you see how 1stgenAmerican tackled you by your own words, that's how police everywhere works, but if we chose to tackle everyone by their own words, no one will survive...

Give a detailed account of all stories to someone/ your attorneys, answer all necessary questions as truthfully as possible, I am sure you are against bigger fishes, if they can't silent you by keeping you behind bars, they sure will come for you if/ when you get out, but any ways, tell your story as best you could, stay away from the media and let your attorneys/ person handle the media for you...

But if you are guilty as regards these case, baba, a million flesh eating scarab will feed on you for a million afterlife...

I wish you well and luck

4 Likes

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Ola17: 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
Henrypraise:

I am guessing you didn't stay or grow up in the suburbs of Nigeria, merely reading the op's writing, it clearly shows he lacks clear understanding and use of the English language, I read carefully not to be ferried along in the current of manipulations, if we are to pick your words sentence by sentence just as you are picking his word, we can say you are the one manipulating us, where has the op said the police were jealous of his wealth? Why lead us on in that path? Why identify yourself as a woman? To gain female sympathy or to further manipulate us that you are using a 6th sense to nail the op and the rest of the men folks don't have the 6th sense? True the op has made contradictory statements, but each statement was made to suit each situation he was, as maybe a dealer (which I strongly feel he is), he sure may have exhibited certain pompousness and Nigerian crudeness, but "if" this man is innocent, lets save him...

You said he didn't show remorse, is pleading for mercy not remorse? Which remorse do you want an "innocent man" being accused falsely to show? If he pleads for Besides why was he charged with terrorism Was it lack of remorse too? It seems not showing remorse is now a terrorist act in the US.

Thanks for reading between the lines sir. As you can see, that lady and her ilk are actually jealous and she’s just trying to deflect, because the guy bought six suvs then he must be guilty of anything he’s accused of.

5 Likes

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by onlyforchrist: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

The issue on ground is if he really committed the crime or not and if there’s any miscarriage of justice. No one is interested in your useless stories and sanctimonious grandstanding.

Wether powerhouse5050 bought six or six hundred suvs in two months isn't why he’s in jail but for rape, those cars didn’t play any role in his case as far as I can see but trust most Nigerians, their jealousy attitude and stupid logic; he bought six suvs in two months therefore he must be guilty of anything he’s accused of. Listen, anyone not giving the op the benefit of doubt with the evidence he’s posted so far is a sadist! Especially that lady mouthing off that she’s a JD or whatever, this is how most Nigerians in America behave, siding the system even if their own is being wronged.

powerhouse5050 I pray you are vindicated and duly compensated if you are truly innocent. A lot of people need to be put to shame.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

I wouldn't hire the JD lady if my life were on the line. Very condescending with a closed mind.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

Nicely said man!

1000 likes.
We have to make a 360 degree change in the way we talk and relate with each other.
The civilized world does not give a shit about we Nigerians. We should be our brother's keeper.

4 Likes

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Kajaard: 3:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
Henrypraise:

I thought so too, it's good to analyze issues from different perspectives, they will form a core for any counsel ready to defend the accused...

@ powerhouse5050 you really have to keep shut online, gather the persons who have rallied round you and talk to them, you see how 1stgenAmerican tackled you by your own words, that's how police everywhere works, but if we chose to tackle everyone by their own words, no one will survive...

Give a detailed account of all stories to someone/ your attorneys, answer all necessary questions as truthfully as possible, I am sure you are against bigger fishes, if they can't silent you by keeping you behind bars, they sure will come for you if/ when you get out, but any ways, tell your story as best you could, stay away from the media and let your attorneys/ person handle the media for you...

But if you are guilty as regards these case, baba, a million flesh eating scarab will feed on you for a million afterlife...

I wish you well and luck

Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy, you and this your funny comment every time
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Henrypraise: 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kajaard:

Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy, you and this your funny comment every time

Baba that's the truth, standing up for Omo-naija on a sensitive case like this is very risky, even when nothing is attached, your personal integrity and self worth is attached, I am only imagining how well I will sleep if and when the op is acquitted and freed, I will feel like i fought for the independence of Nigeria as chaampioned by today's youth... But if matter con get k leg say op no innocent, the hurt and the shame will be likened to another bouth of "lekki massacre". So me just dey read the riot act to am make e de study am...

If you guys are going to constitute an online team pls @ Chatinent holla @ me, especially when you have conviction that the op is truly innocent after meeting him and looking into his eyes and not just the facts...

If he is innocent and you see fear in his eyes slap am and shout for am, naija no de born mumu, na Ghana and south Africa de born ekpa...

Again @ powerhouse5050 you know na...

Try de eat sha as you de crech, no go allow ulcer join the high college when you de sha, once once still de halla ur maile, na she go fit pray for you and your wife, if you offend them beg them, make Dem pray for you... Then your papa and your senior brother their prayer go work wonders... Mainwhile naija de ur back, no reason the government o, If them answer you good, if Dem no answer you focus... No fear o, na time e go take beans go done, stammerer go call e papa name, take time de sing naija anthem and call on your ancestors to prevail...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Kajaard: 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2021
Henrypraise:

Baba that's the truth, standing up for Omo-naija on a sensitive case like this is very risky, even when nothing is attached, your personal integrity and self worth is attached, I am only imagining how well I will sleep if and when the op is acquitted and freed, I will feel like i fought for the independence of Nigeria as chaampioned by today's youth... But if matter con get k leg say op no innocent, the hurt and the shame will be likened to another bouth of "lekki massacre". So me just dey read the riot act to am make e de study am...

If you guys are going to constitute an online team pls @ Chatinent holla @ me, especially when you have conviction that the op is truly innocent after meeting him and looking into his eyes and not just the facts...

If he is innocent and you see fear in his eyes slap am and shout for am, naija no de born mumu, na Ghana and south Africa de born ekpa...

Try de eat sha as you de crech, no go allow ulcer join the high college when you de sha, once once still de halla ur maile, na she go fit pray for you and your wife, if you offend them beg them, make Dem pray for you... Then your papa and your senior brother their prayer go work wonders... Mainwhile naija de ur back, no reason the government o, If them answer you good, if Dem no answer you focus... No fear o, na time e go take beans go done, stammerer go call e papa name, take time de sing naija anthem and call on your ancestors to prevail...

Nice one bro. At the bold faced, chatinent count me in as well. You are doing a great job cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
justwise:

I agree with you but though when you look at the definition you will sort of understand why that was included in the charge.

The sentencing is way too harsh and should be challenged but here is the prob though.. can the op plead for sentencing leniency while at the same time claiming innocent of the crime?

I don't know you but I love the way you reason already. Your sense dey 3D.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
Direct Evidence.

The 2 direct evidences are transcripts from the testimony of detective Adam Kiker , the police officer who watched the video and saw the man in khaki short.

The exact man the lady reported on 911.

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by hamjola: 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2021
justwise:

They want to read preferred answer and not facts

I have taken time again to make more findings from my family in Georgia and I must admit the OP was guilty as charged. He also acknowledged as the person after the footage was showed to him.CASE CLOSED.

3 Likes

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:41pm On Oct 10, 2021
For your scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kajaard:

Nice one bro. At the bold faced, chatinent count me in as well. You are doing a great job cool

Yes, thank you.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:44pm On Oct 10, 2021
Henrypraise:

Yes, boss.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:49pm On Oct 10, 2021
Skyview01:

I couldn't sleep well last night thinking about his sentencing, no white guy will ever be at the receiving end of such a cruel and inhuman judgement no matter their demeanor at trial. Its harsh and cruel.
He is a human being afterall and Gerogia is a very racist state. See all the what happened during past election in Georgia.
Let him go after his own defence attorney first as it appears his defence was botched and if he wins, use that in the appael.

Me, i have not been to the us in the past 3 years for fear of racist cops and judicial systems biased against black defendants.

Exactly.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 4:51pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kajaard:

At the bold faced, you got that right. Georgia is an extremely racist state.

Like I told him earlier without mincing words, he had a very weak legal team as well. His legal team never took his case serious.

Let me explain sth to you.

He was in jail when those lawyers were suggested to him. I mean his lawyers. He wanted a fair trial..and he couldn't go out. He had to work with them. The first three were same White people from Georgia.

After the long run, he wasn't satisfied with their processes...since he was limited. Remember, he is still in jail footing all the bills..some very exorbitant...and it seemed they were only interested in extorting him (my words).

He sacked them and was standing for himself alone. When the judgement was passed, he was standing alone. He couldn't interrupt when the judge was saying all the things to the jury. He was standing alone. The jury never heard his DNA expert results because he would have been acquitted then. Yes, he would. The judge never gave a room for that tho.

The judge got flared up of his incessant legal fightback and translated it to being not remorseful, hence the gory and long sentences!. Who is remorseful about what they didn't do?

The whole world knows Georgia to be a very tight place for Blacks. Those dudes discriminate a lot.

Also it is ideal to note that it was the Police who provided every thing used to label him a criminal. The same police who stopped him and questioned him of his SUV ..which they later didn't talk about again but brought in the rape case. Initially, they questioned him about the SUV..then diverted to the rape case. He didn't want to respond to them because he wanted his lawyer to speak for him since he didn't know what they were up to. They resorted to saying they shall put the whole charges on him (his words).

Think: who rapes sb in the park of all places when he has a lodge he was staying close there with a room?

What he was wearing was different from what the footage showed. Can sb be at two places the same time? They arrested him cos he was closest to the scene.

Why is the police refusing to accept the DNA expert's results...a professional with over 43 years of experience? Is the police hiding sth?

His DNA with that of the results for the vaginal and the cum didn't match! His contained 20, that was 10...and 10 was the rapist! But the police rather termed it inconclusive...and you and I know what being inconclusive meant! Why were they standing on the fence? Science is rather yes or no.

Then this brings another question. What or who is being protected here? Why is this partial? Because he is black? Why is the judge so enveloped with bitterness to serve him such sentence? That meant if humans lived 1000 years, she was ready to give him it to restrict him for life!

This case is since 2017! Do you know what it feels to be behind bars since then...and most painful when you are innocent?

This could happen to anyone.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Elporo(m): 4:51pm On Oct 10, 2021
Powerhouse5050:

The question is what does the SUVs that I bought had to do with rape of minor

Abeg, they do this to black men all the time. My cousin; was locked for 9 months on the same false rape case.

Only after heavy pressure and investigation by resourceful Nigerian's did the Oyinbo come out to confess. He was not the guy who raped her. wink

The truth is a lot of black men are incarcerated because it was convenient. A white man could never have gotten such an ugly sentence innocent or otherwise.

I want to use this opportunity to appeal to Nigerians in the diaspora to connect powerhouse with black pressure groups and lawyers as it stands they are the only group with experience in cases like this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Kajaard: 4:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
chatinent:

Let me explain sth to you.

He was in jail when those lawyers were suggested to him. He wanted a fair trial..and he couldn't go out. He had to work with them. The first three were same White people from Georgia.

After the long run, he wasn't satisfied with their processes. Remember, he is still in jail footing all the bill ..some very exorbitant.

He sacked them and was standing for himself alone. When the judgement was passed, he was standing alone. He could interrupt when the judge was saying all the things to the jury. He wasn't a lawyer.

This could happen to anyone.

This makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks so much for explaining.

The bold faced just made me sad. I know how it feels to be alone. I'll see what information I can get from some friends tomorrow and share here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Ola17: 5:03pm On Oct 10, 2021
chatinent:
Direct Evidence.

Good day chief, is this dialogue between powerhouse and the judge?
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Elporo(m): 5:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

Wether powerhouse5050 bought six or six hundred suvs in two months isn't why he’s in jail but for rape, those cars didn’t play any role in his case

Na wetin dem carry throway am inside cooler be this. No be say e do anything.

How black man we just land go fit buy 6 motor. Him gat to be criminal and so na im rape this girl.

They manipulated the decision-makers by using someone that fit the profile.

6 Likes

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Powerhouse5050: 5:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

That was the police officer Adam Kicker testimony at the trial
He was the only officer that confessed that he had seen the video footage that showed the man in khaki short.

The video is an exculpatory evidence for me because as you can see the photo from the surveillance camera , that was me standing wearing pant....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2021
hamjola:

I have taken time again to make more findings from my family in Georgia and I must admit the OP was guilty as charged. He also acknowledged as the person after the footage was showed to him.CASE CLOSED.

With what evidence have you? Those shown on the internet?
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 5:30pm On Oct 10, 2021
Elporo:

Abeg, they do this to black men all the time. My cousin; was locked for 9 months on the same false rape case.

Only after heavy pressure and investigation by resourceful Nigerian's did the Oyinbo come out to confess. He was not the guy who raped her. wink

The truth is a lot of black men are incarcerated because it was convenient. A white man could never have gotten such an ugly sentence innocent or otherwise.

I want to use this opportunity to appeal to Nigerians in the diaspora to connect powerhouse with black pressure groups and lawyers as it stands they are the only group with experience in cases like this.

Can we reach your cousin? How did he fight his?
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
Ola17:

The two direct evidences are transcripts from the testimony of detective Adam Kiker , the police officer that watched the video and saw the man in khaki short.
Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2021
Please read.¹

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by chatinent: 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2021
Please read. ²

• who unbuttons a trouser half-down and runs?

• where is the video? I mean the part of the man? (not the child).

• notice locations is pluralized.

1 Like

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by Elporo(m): 5:51pm On Oct 10, 2021
chatinent:

Can we reach your cousin? How did he fight his?

His mum spoke to Nigerian's in NYC; they heard the woman's cries and rallied themselves together. This is some 6 or 7 years ago.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. by temblor1(m): 6:04pm On Oct 10, 2021
[quote author=chatinent post=106620397]Please read. ²

The high bar for post-conviction DNA testing could be a factor

Some of the states have really high standards for post-conviction DNA testing, said Michelle Feldman, state campaigns director at the Innocence Project, a national nonprofit focused on exonerating wrongfully convicted people.

For example: Alaska requires a person to not have pled guilty, although about 1 in 10 exonerations have involved guilty pleas, according to the National Registry of Exonerations, a project maintained by several universities and law schools.

Arkansas, Delaware and New Hampshire require that a prisoner prove their innocence or show DNA testing will implicate someone else in the crime before DNA testing is allowed, requiring petitioners to essentially solve the crime they’re accused of.

Oregon, one of two states where courts can convict a person without all 12 jurors agreeing on a verdict, had similar provisions in its post-conviction DNA testing law. But earlier this year, the state legislature amended the statute to allow testing if there’s a reasonable probability DNA testing would have prevented the petitioner’s conviction.

“The whole point of getting DNA tested is to see what the results are and then show why that proves you didn’t commit the crime,” Feldman said.

Vanessa Potkin, director of post-conviction litigation at the Innocence Project, named several factors that might affect an inmate’s ability to access post-conviction DNA testing: limited access to post-conviction counsel and public defender systems for indigent defendants, and Innocence Project chapters that are relatively new or not as robust as in other states where the organization helps prisoners navigate the arduous process of petitioning courts for DNA tests.

News

13 states have never exonerated a prisoner based on DNA evidence. Here’s why.

By Adeshina Emmanuel | December 16, 2019

SHARE:
Email

Hundreds of state prisoners have successfully used DNA evidence to win exonerations in the past three decades — except in 13 states.

The states are Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Vermont. Exonerations have occurred in the 13 states, but none in which DNA evidence was central to proving innocence, according to the Innocence Project and the National Registry of Exonerations.

Investigations that expose, influence and inform. Emailed directly to you.
Your email
johnsmith@example.com

Sign me up
Why?

There’s no definitive answer. However, wrongful conviction experts offered several explanations for the 13 outliers.

Several states have bad track records of preserving evidence

Three of the 13 states — Delaware, North Dakota, and Vermont — don’t have evidence preservation laws, and four of them don’t require evidence to be preserved for the length of incarceration.

Read More
Missing DNA evidence hampers wrongful conviction fight in Iowa

One of those four states is Iowa, where, as my colleague Abigail Blachman reported, wrongful conviction attorneys often find that police have destroyed or misplaced DNA evidence that authorities could have tested.

Most states passed evidence preservation in the past 10-15 years, but that doesn’t help many inmates who had been languishing in prison, said Brandon L. Garrett, director of the Center for Science and Justice at Duke University School of Law.

“This has been an important change, but there are so many people who might have been freed by a DNA test if evidence had been preserved in the 1970s, ‘80s and ‘90s,” Garret said. “We will never know how many innocent people could have been freed.”

The laws also don’t ensure evidence technicians interpret DNA samples properly, promise proper preservation for the length of a person’s prison term, or protect evidence vaults from extreme weather and natural disasters. Moreover, many police departments still routinely dispose of evidence after a conviction.

Some of the 13 states were late to adopt laws providing prisoners the right to post-conviction DNA testing, like Alaska and South Dakota, among the last states to pass post-conviction DNA testing laws in 2010 and 2009, respectively. Defendants convicted before those laws passed may be out of luck.

The high bar for post-conviction DNA testing could be a factor

Some of the states have really high standards for post-conviction DNA testing, said Michelle Feldman, state campaigns director at the Innocence Project, a national nonprofit focused on exonerating wrongfully convicted people.

For example: Alaska requires a person to not have pled guilty, although about 1 in 10 exonerations have involved guilty pleas, according to the National Registry of Exonerations, a project maintained by several universities and law schools.

Arkansas, Delaware and New Hampshire require that a prisoner prove their innocence or show DNA testing will implicate someone else in the crime before DNA testing is allowed, requiring petitioners to essentially solve the crime they’re accused of.

Oregon, one of two states where courts can convict a person without all 12 jurors agreeing on a verdict, had similar provisions in its post-conviction DNA testing law. But earlier this year, the state legislature amended the statute to allow testing if there’s a reasonable probability DNA testing would have prevented the petitioner’s conviction.

“The whole point of getting DNA tested is to see what the results are and then show why that proves you didn’t commit the crime,” Feldman said.

Vanessa Potkin, director of post-conviction litigation at the Innocence Project, named several factors that might affect an inmate’s ability to access post-conviction DNA testing: limited access to post-conviction counsel and public defender systems for indigent defendants, and Innocence Project chapters that are relatively new or not as robust as in other states where the organization helps prisoners navigate the arduous process of petitioning courts for DNA tests.

Prosecutors and judges can get in the way of post-conviction DNA testing

In Oregon, the Innocence Project led the campaign for updating the DNA testing law, with cooperation from the state’s attorney general, district attorney, public defenders and the state’s crime lab, which formed a working group to hash out the new law and consider concerns.

That type of cooperation is essential for states to better identify wrongful convictions, but it doesn’t always happen, Potkin said.

While laws can remove some barriers to post-conviction appeals and improve DNA preservation standards, among the biggest challenges are prosecutor’s offices prone to fighting against the right to DNA testing and judges who tend to deny requests, she said.

“Even if you have a law on the books, if you have prosecutors who will fight every application for testing and judges not willing to order testing over their objections, then the law is pointless,” Potkin said.

She suggested that the prevalence of strong public defender systems and robust Innocence Project chapters in states could help mitigate some of the institutional resistance to post-conviction DNA testing.

Culled from:
https://www.injusticewatch.org/news/2019/13-states-with-no-dna-exonerations/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8_s6KXA8wIVkO5RCh3WfwfGEAMYAiAAEgJN2vD_BwE

We're following. I can only pray he's innocent as your findings are pointing out. And he gets a fair post conviction trial. I pray for you all that have shown immense interest in this case.
Please, kindly ignore deviants such as The Almighty-All knowing character, JD; or rather last American undecided
Cc chatinent
Justwise
HenryPraise
Kajaard
Elporo

More suggested sites:
https://www.prisonfellowship.org/resources/advocacy/sentencing/wrongful-convictions-2/?mwm_id=328601868957&sc=PGNWAAG190104012&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8_s6KXA8wIVkO5RCh3WfwfGEAMYASAAEgK2dvD_BwE#

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (65) (Reply)

Police Arraign Lecturer For Raping 18 Year Old Admission Seeker (pics) / 12-year-old Boy In Ibadan Leads Thugs To Kill, Displace Community Residents / 46-Year-Old Zimbabwean Woman Rapes 15-Year-Old Boy After Fixing Bedroom Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.