Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria (13558 Views)

Why Recruiter are Looking For Full Stack Developers / I Got A Call From A Recruiter / How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Unyione: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

Yeah. But those are Nigerian companies operating within the economic limitations of Nigeria. A US company that you read online that just raised $153m second round funding, you went to the interview and requested for $500/month. I have an issue with that.

Sometime the mistake is inevitable. When I first started, I once asked a company to pay me 200k monthly. I thought I had made them. When I got the job, I was told that they had valued me at $1000, about 350k at the time. I was so �

2 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
Nabi2000:

Still asking boss, how likely do you think it is to get a remote job as an entry level dev. Would love to hear your reply

Entry level devs are getting employed everyday however, you'll need to put in a lot of effort in the application process. Assuming there's no question about your development skill and your job application tools are top notch, you still have to develop a tough skin for rejection because most companies would still not trust you because you have no experience. But be comforted with the fact that it is only hardest when you're just starting out without experience.

My advice to most beginners without experience (assuming the conditions I mentioned above are met) is to increase the number of QUALITY job applications they send out. At this stage, it may be down to a game of numbers.

Myself as an example, when I started out, my first 100 to 200 applications were rejected. Some would not even reach HR because companies use automated screening tools to screen out resumes that failed some key words based on the advertised role.

Once I got my first response/interview/chat/technical assessment e.t.c, I knew how to gauge the range of how many applications/rejections I needed to send out to receive a positive feedback(I learnt this during my banking days). I just targeted that number of applications per day. Thanks to LinkedIn, I filtered the type of jobs I wanted and experience level required and I started applying. On a particular day, I sent out up to 50 applications in 10 minutes( I dont advise this but I was desperate). I targeted ONLY foreign companies. Also, be ready for algorithm and data structures test as a beginner. They just want to be sure about the risk they want to take on you.

Once you break that jinx of getting your first job, it becomes really easy. Depending on your experience, recruiters may even start messaging you privately and try to poach you away from your current employer. The interview becomes a mere chat. Nothing like tests e.t c.

But the whole hassle is worth it. Even if you're paid $10/hr working 40hrs per week, it's not a terrible start.

6 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by devmek: 2:05pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

Myself as an example, when I started out, my first 100 to 200 applications were rejected. Some would not even reach HR because companies use automated screening tools to screen out resumes that failed some key words based on the advertised role.

Good afternoon sir, please can I send you a copy of my resume to help me crosscheck if I'm missing any of the recommended keywords that are necessary for an entry web developer as so far I have been getting screened out by the application software algorithm. Thank you very much.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 2:52pm On Oct 14, 2021
devmek:

Good afternoon sir, please can I send you a copy of my resume to help me crosscheck if I'm missing any of the recommended keywords that are necessary for an entry web developer as so far I have been getting screened out by the application software algorithm. Thank you very much.

To be honest, I'm not qualified to give tips on how to beat HR's Applicant Tracking System. However, you'll be surprised at the volume of information available for free on the internet from qualified and experienced HR consultants.

I didn't even bother about ATS, I just made sure I tailored my resume to meet international standards and specifically for a developer. If this is what you want, I can take a look at it on Sunday and give you tips if any.

2 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by devmek: 3:07pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

I didn't even bother about ATS, I just made sure I tailored my resume to meet international standards and specifically for a developer. If this is what you want, I can take a look at it on Sunday and give you tips if any.
Yes sir, this is it,how to tailor my resume to meet the internationally recommended standard for developers. It will be extremely helpful, thank you very much sir. Please how can I send the resume across to you?. Thank you.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 3:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
devmek:

Yes sir, this is it,how to tailor my resume to meet the internationally recommended standard for developers. It will be extremely helpful, thank you very much sir. Please how can I send the resume across to you?. Thank you.

I think an email is linked to my profile.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by qtguru(m): 4:50pm On Oct 14, 2021
Guys the community has 62 members, cry I am so surprised, i expected 20 at most, and it's becoming active. God bless you guys all for contributing to the community.

1 Like

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2021
qtguru:
Guys the community has 62 members, cry I am so surprised, i expected 20 at most, and it's becoming active. God bless you guys all for contributing to the community.

Lol! It's 68 actually! Hopefully we can grow that number and keep it active daily. I will do my part as best I can.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

To be honest, I'm not qualified to give tips on how to beat HR's Applicant Tracking System. However, you'll be surprised at the volume of information available for free on the internet from qualified and experienced HR consultants.

One "trick" I use is to look at job descriptions from similar openings from other employeers and try to use similar wordings on my Resume.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 5:14pm On Oct 14, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Lol! It's 68 actually! Hopefully we can grow that number and keep it active daily. I will do my part as best I can.

Yeah. Let's help one another. The sky is big enough for every bird to fly. I just joined too.

1 Like

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

Yeah. Let's help one another. The sky is big enough for every bird to fly. I just joined too.

Yup. I see the number is now 69.

One caveat though, people should not think that joining immediately guarantees a remote job. Heck none of us can guarantee that. What I can offer is advice and encouragement as you go through this route. Jobs won't fall on your laps. In fact be prepared to receive more rejections than you ever have. But that one breakthrough will wipe out the pain of 200 rejection letters.

And also, be good at whatever it is you do. Keep learning. Keep improving

6 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by devmek: 6:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

I think an email is linked to my profile.
Sir, I've sent you a request for permission to be able to send you a mail. Thank you.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 6:15pm On Oct 14, 2021
devmek:

Sir, I've sent you a request for permission to be able to send you a mail. Thank you.

Responded.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by devmek: 7:06pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

Responded.
Thank you sir, I have sent it.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by glaber: 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2021
Lindner:

Entry level devs are getting employed everyday however, you'll need to put in a lot of effort in the application process. Assuming there's no question about your development skill and your job application tools are top notch, you still have to develop a tough skin for rejection because most companies would still not trust you because you have no experience. But be comforted with the fact that it is only hardest when you're just starting out without experience.

My advice to most beginners without experience (assuming the conditions I mentioned above are met) is to increase the number of QUALITY job applications they send out. At this stage, it may be down to a game of numbers.

Once I got my first response/interview/chat/technical assessment e.t.c, I knew how to gauge the range of how many applications/rejections I needed to send out to receive a positive feedback(I learnt this during my banking days). I just targeted that number of applications per day. Thanks to LinkedIn, I filtered the type of jobs I wanted and experience level required and I started applying. On a particular day, I sent out up to 50 applications in 10 minutes( I dont advise this but I was desperate). I targeted ONLY foreign companies. Also, be ready for algorithm and data structures test as a beginner. They just want to be sure about the risk they want to take on you.

Once you break that jinx of getting your first job, it becomes really easy. Depending on your experience, recruiters may even start messaging you privately and try to poach you away from your current employer. The interview becomes a mere chat. Nothing like tests e.t c.

But the whole hassle is worth it. Even if you're paid $10/hr working 40hrs per week, it's not a terrible start.

Now this is how to advice/encourage somebody.

Thanks for the response, even though it's not me that asked for it.

It's has benefited me also

2 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Sososo(f): 10:17pm On Oct 14, 2021
qtguru:

join.slack.com/t/koding-school/shared_invite/zt-x7wxcatg-_iU4vvtdTJ7mNvsBlvajxg

Here is the link for anyone who wants to join, I can't manage the group anymore, so I leave it to the community, I will just post videos and help those who are interested ? All the best bro

How can one join?
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by qtguru(m): 11:07pm On Oct 14, 2021
Sososo:

How can one join?

Copy that join link posted in your browser
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Me I just use LinkedIn and apply to everything I see. It fucking works. Through LinkedIn I have interviewed with very big firms in Poland Portugal Vietnam south Korea and Japan but one day I just woke up and got a very huge pay rise from my boss. The zeal of looking for a new job just vanished but I am sure if I kept at it I would have gotten an offer.
I don't know my LinkedIn keeps bringing only Nigerian jobs
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lorex6: 12:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
Lindner:

Boss, can I pm you?
I specifically created this account today for this. Thanks
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lindner: 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
Lorex6:

Boss, can I pm you?
I specifically created this account today for this. Thanks

Yes please. I responded already.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
Ajibade123:

Include the country in your search. E.g US Remote Fullstack Developer

2 Likes

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Lorex6: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Lindner:

Yes please. I responded already.
Aahh. Thanks. I sent you a message
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 7:07pm On Oct 16, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Include the country in your search. E.g US Remote Fullstack Developer
thanks bro
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 10:36am On Oct 29, 2021
@frank417 get in here
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Blesschemical: 9:21pm On Oct 29, 2021
Bayoibee:

I just had to let him know because I’m a UI/UX Designer but I’m not working for the agency only contracts here and there and most times I see the documentation of the clients entire budget and how this greedy oga and one other guy will share 80% of the money and give the remaining to the unexposed developers, after my conversations, all the developers left him and he was dumbfounded.
Please sir how do i thread on your path? I am intrested pls educate me on what to do please.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Bayoibee: 11:42pm On Oct 29, 2021
Blesschemical:
Please sir how do i thread on your path? I am intrested pls educate me on what to do please.
You can text me on WhatsApp 08136873941, I’ll put you through whatever you might need.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Blesschemical: 1:47am On Oct 30, 2021
Bayoibee:

You can text me on WhatsApp 08136873941, I’ll put you through whatever you might need.
Thank you
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 7:38am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
One thing I would like to add especially for newbies. America isn't the only country with remote jobs. A lot of people just set their sights on the USA. See try everywhere. There are countries that absolutely do not send where you are from at all at all and their governments have made laws for indigenous companies to hire programmers. Europe, developed Asian countries like Japan and South Korea and even developing Asian countries like Vietnam have Millons of jobs and they don't mind hiring foreigners at all.

Also places in Latin America like Mexico, Brazil, Chile and co. The list is endless. A lot of people just have their sights set on working remotely with American companies. Just expand your options.

From my personal experience, people look forward to remote jobs in US because they are the only ones who have a lot of cash at their disposal.

150k USD in America is what is a Mid-level dev can earn, meanwhile they are happy to find a dev in Africa to pay 50k or (4000 per month) contract. In other European countries like Germany, Holland etc they will offer to pay you 1500 - 2000 Euros per month for an African dev which seem like a lot of money to them.

See ehn, the money people earn in the US is like blood money putting it in literal terms. A Mid-level dev in Palo Alto can be earning 250k USD as opposed to a Principal Dev in Germany earning 80k Euros.

US is the way, i cannot decieve you bro.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 7:42am On Oct 30, 2021
Ajibade123:

It's village people, you need to fast and pray regarding this. So the situation can change grin

Change your job search country and you are fine lol.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:06am On Oct 30, 2021
tosinhtml:

From my personal experience, people look forward to remote jobs in US because they are the only ones who have a lot of cash at their disposal.

150k USD in America is what is a Mid-level dev can earn, meanwhile they are happy to find a dev in Africa to pay 50k or (4000 per month) contract. In other European countries like Germany, Holland etc they will offer to pay you 1500 - 2000 Euros per month for an African dev which seem like a lot of money to them.

See ehn, the money people earn in the US is like blood money putting it in literal terms. A Mid-level dev in Palo Alto can be earning 250k USD as opposed to a Principal Dev in Germany earning 80k Euros.

US is the way, i cannot decieve you bro.

True but for a junior Dev who is just starting out it's not easy getting an American remote job but it's easy to get Germany, Holland and co and the pay will still be ten times higher than Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 8:16am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

True but for a junior Dev who is just starting out it's not easy getting an American remote job but it's easy to get Germany, Holland and co and the pay will still be ten times higher than Nigeria

Yes true for junior devs, i didn't put that into consideration. US companies are always looking for Senior Senior Senior.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Newusername(m): 9:04am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Good morning sir, please how do we upcoming junior Dev go about getting jobs at Germany, Holland and co?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.