Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,620 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria (13510 Views)

Why Recruiter are Looking For Full Stack Developers / I Got A Call From A Recruiter / How Well-paid Are Software Developers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Qzeems: 10:47pm On Mar 26, 2022
ClixMaster:
Are you against the $500 I said or what? What is your point? You collected $500 for your first job, which I am not against. Like I said, I won't blame a first timer collecting $500.

My point is clear sir. Okay if $500 is what you can get. Person go sha chop. Na beating down offers dey ridiculous.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by jidex4life: 10:36am On Sep 06, 2022
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by JFOD: 4:15am On Sep 07, 2022
Iseddy:
hi guys..... i have been learning AWS for sometime now. but I'm getting discourage lately because i felt is not lucrative here in 9ja. i have passion for tech nevertheless i want to make money too. tried searching for AWS remote job but here in 9ja it felt like searching for pin in an ocean. guys pls i need guidance.

Hey, when you say AWS Job, can you share the job title you searched? Solution Architect Jobs?
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Obasempiree(m): 6:00pm On Sep 07, 2022
Lindner:
I've engaged with some developers on nairaland about this topic and out of frustration, I just surrendered.

Since the pandemic and the popularization of remote work, it's no longer news that western tech companies now look to source talents from Africa and Some parts of Asia. The rationale is to cut cost.

A recruiter that recruits for some of these tech companies recently told me that they no longer disclose potential salary budget to candidates from Africa, especially Nigeria.

She mentioned that they are always shocked at the salary expectations of candidates. She went further to state that 9 out of 10 candidates from Africa request for between 20% to 80% below the budget of the companies( Even though the company is already saving a lot by recruiting from Africa). And the fact that she mentioned Nigeria specifically got me a little angry.

Why tf will you guys be asking for $500/month for a software development role no matter whether its entry level or not? What values do you place on yourself? Just because you live in Nigeria? A cleaner does not even get paid $500/month in those companies. Do you feel good knowing the colleague you'll be working with is earning ×5 of what you're being paid and you're probably even adding more value. Don't you get angry?

The painful part is that some of these companies didnt even offer to pay you these miserable salaries, you requested it yourself.

Sometime ago, on another thread here on NL, on the same topic of remote job compensation, some folks came to the thread with alot of justification why $500/month is a good offer. They cited exchange rate, poverty rate in Nigeria, how there's no job and every other pathetic reasons why they should slave away to a western company. I can't even begin to reason the ones that are hawking their "skills" here on NL offering to build a full fledged e-commerce site with integrated payment solutions for 10k naira.

I don't care what you say, if you know your shit and have good self esteem, you can earn as much as $4k/month. Before you come here and start reciting all the impossibilites in your books, know that I'm writing from a position of knowledge. I have statistics and real life examples to substantiate this figure. I myself have been working remotely even before the pandemic.

I wouldn't have bothered to even write, but this development is now coming back to bite some of us just because we answer the name Nigerian.
Ridiculous how people want to earn that low doiing remote jobs. I believe research on companies should be part of applicants priority when applying for jobs or interview. Most have earned similar salaries in Nigeria as developers for years and are used to earning such pay. Developers are highly underpaid in Nigeria that's a fact.
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by cokeryusuf09(m): 2:38pm On Sep 08, 2022
Lindner:

Count me in!!!! If others could create it and manage it, I'll definately join. And if something like that already exist, I'm happy to join and contribute.
good day, i am beginner who is currently c++,
i hope it is a good language to learn
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by Knowbody: 2:52pm On Sep 08, 2022
Lindner:

Entry level devs are getting employed everyday however, you'll need to put in a lot of effort in the application process. Assuming there's no question about your development skill and your job application tools are top notch, you still have to develop a tough skin for rejection because most companies would still not trust you because you have no experience. But be comforted with the fact that it is only hardest when you're just starting out without experience.

My advice to most beginners without experience (assuming the conditions I mentioned above are met) is to increase the number of QUALITY job applications they send out. At this stage, it may be down to a game of numbers.

Myself as an example, when I started out, my first 100 to 200 applications were rejected. Some would not even reach HR because companies use automated screening tools to screen out resumes that failed some key words based on the advertised role.

Once I got my first response/interview/chat/technical assessment e.t.c, I knew how to gauge the range of how many applications/rejections I needed to send out to receive a positive feedback(I learnt this during my banking days). I just targeted that number of applications per day. Thanks to LinkedIn, I filtered the type of jobs I wanted and experience level required and I started applying. On a particular day, I sent out up to 50 applications in 10 minutes( I dont advise this but I was desperate). I targeted ONLY foreign companies. Also, be ready for algorithm and data structures test as a beginner. They just want to be sure about the risk they want to take on you.

Once you break that jinx of getting your first job, it becomes really easy. Depending on your experience, recruiters may even start messaging you privately and try to poach you away from your current employer. The interview becomes a mere chat. Nothing like tests e.t c.

But the whole hassle is worth it. Even if you're paid $10/hr working 40hrs per week, it's not a terrible start.

Please sir, am kinda stuck in the middle of ASUU strike. I have been pondering going into software development but am limited with resources (learning).
Please how would you mind sharing the learning resources that aided your growth as a software developer
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by MarvCodes: 3:08am On Oct 27, 2023
The slack link is no longer working sir
Re: This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria by emiron18(m): 9:18am On Oct 28, 2023
Taaooma tells how much Cristiano Ronaldo earns and how
Click to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fuXzl7Zcg

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Join The Andela Learning Community; Powered By Microsoft / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.