Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? (10728 Views)

I Want To Adopt A Child As A Single Man / How Do I Love The Child As Mine / Is It Right To Have A Favourite Child As A Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 10, 2021
there is no advantage only a plethora of everlasting psychological disadvantages. Every child from a single parent home is damaged, especially where the child was never accepted by the father.
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Successlane: 9:51am On Oct 10, 2021
There is NO advantage !!!!

Let's just talk on the disadvantages.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Alicia1(f): 9:52am On Oct 10, 2021
Its better I raise my child as a single mum than let them grow into abusive marriage, dear future please guide us...

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Bmaster(m): 9:53am On Oct 10, 2021
E get this girl wey dey form strong lady.

Anyways,e no easy ooo

Even though her boyfriend flee on hearing of her being pregnant,yet she is proving to the people that she is indeed strong by raising her male child alone.

Thumbs up for her,
Doing all sorts of menial jobs,just to take care of her little boy.

Naza you strong die

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 10, 2021
Alicia1:
Its better I raise my child as a single mum than let them grow into abusive marriage, dear future please guide us...

it is better you use your brain not to enter abusive marriage in the 1st place. The signs are always there but most women ignore because they are desperate to marry plus many women are themselves the source of the abuse.....not all abuse is physical and many abuse from men is in reaction from emotional/psychological abuse from their spouses.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Forgodsgrace: 9:54am On Oct 10, 2021
The disadvantage is almost 100% and that’s why the moral decadence is high these days.The fatherly or motherly role in a child’s life can not be replaced.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Juoflife1(f): 10:01am On Oct 10, 2021
Same with raising children with both parents. I don't know what the fuss about single parenthood is all about.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Guyman02: 10:09am On Oct 10, 2021
You can see the effect on black communities in America where it's rampant compared to Caucasians, gangs that kill without remorse most of them raised by single parents, high rate of criminality leading to the absence of masculine figures as a lot of them end up in jails and the circle continues.

One of the ways to keep down the blacks is to preach independent womanhood to them and how they don't need a man to raise their kids, just collect child support from him, which is not the same ideology in most caucasian neighbourhoods.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Prosmobi: 10:13am On Oct 10, 2021
Is never easy with both parents talk more of single parent but the disadvantages outweighs the advantages. thank U.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by tempusfugit: 10:19am On Oct 10, 2021
AS A PRODUCT OF A SINGLE PARENT , READ MY LIPS VERY WELL, THERE'S NO ADVANTAGE , ONLY DISADVANTAGES MOSTLY FOR THE KIDS AND IS GOING AFFECT THEM IN ALL WAYS POSSIBLE , ONLY THE EMOTIONALLY STRONG ONES AMONG US CAME OUT OF IT
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Hotzone(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2021
Davash222:
A boy child raised by a single bittered and littered woman will have to fall back to the street to realign his orientation as a man else he becomes a menace and nuisance to the society.

It's very risky to solely allow a bittered woman raise your child.

Sometimes her bitterness springs up from inner strength when she realizes that she is alone and the need to give her children the best.

Men should be men enough to own their responsibility

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Skillsnigeria: 10:48am On Oct 10, 2021
Hmmm
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Ayo2004: 10:55am On Oct 10, 2021
seunny4lif:
Well, me and my brothers were raised by a single mother.
But it’s not easy to raise a child on your own talk-less of raising 3 boys.

Most Nigeria’s father abandoned their children when school fees time don reach

One is a nurse to be
One is a doctor to be
And me I like my IT cool
It’s not easy oooh to raise a child by two people talkless of one person doing it.
Most Nigerian fathers
You better shut your mouth dia...

Why not ask your classmates and friends who have been paying their school fees
This is one of the stuff OP is talking about..

As usual,your bitter mother influenced you into thinking negatively about fathers and yet you with no common sense that you will be a father one day drank the toxic medicine she gave you

This one don go!
I only hope one of your brothers learned common sense from the streets to avoid becoming a dunce like you

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Dukeolumidemans(m): 11:01am On Oct 10, 2021
Children raised by a single parent, especially a bitter mom leads children to end up been bitter too especially towards the other partner and this same attitude learnt from the mom will be exhibited later by the children in one way or the other especially towards other sex (Partners) in the future.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by dominique(f): 11:24am On Oct 10, 2021
It's better to be raised in a peaceful one parent home than a toxic two parent home. A lot of married women are more bitter than single mothers but they keep consoling themselves that they're married and better off. Marriage is good but if it's a threat to your life, sanity and well-being, it should be backed away from.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2021
I Dont know of any advantages but the disadvantage I know is if its the mother that raise the child alone after breakup....those pikin dem dey act somehow, dem no dey get joy!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by gabicon: 11:34am On Oct 10, 2021
BadRadio:
What does having both parents or a single parent do in the life of a child while growing up?

Is it important for a child to be raised under the care, nurturing and supervision of both parents?

Do single baby mummies and daddies have issues with this in the long run?

Pls I need sincere answers. Thanks

It important to note that father's and mother's have different roles they play in the upbringing of a child. Same way petrol, engine oil and coolant are all important but play different roles in a vehicle.

A father is meant to instill discipline in a child, to show the child what it means to be a man or the type of man you should be with. A mother is there to nurture the child and help in creating systems that will ensure the child achieves success in life.

Every child needs both parents, there is no vacuum in life, if you are a single parent, it is either you get a father or mother figure for your child or the child goes out to go get one themselves. It could be house maid, gate man, teacher, uncle, parent boss etc. Especially boys, they need men to teach them what it takes to be a man.

The vacuum always automatically gets filled by someone, most single parents ignore this aspect and it most times lead to a whole world of pain and they use the phrase "after all I have done for you" but the truth is that you didn't do enough, there is an emotional blackhole that requires closing that has remained open for years.

Being a single parent is tough, but it can be made easier by having the necessary support accompanied with the right system.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by neonly: 11:36am On Oct 10, 2021
Vanpascore:
Talking from experience, it has no advantage. God bless all hard working and caring single mums. If they tell you their stories, mouths won't close again.

But being a single parent is better than staying in a troubled and violence marriage.

And if the man tell you what der eyes see in d marriage nko
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by dominique(f): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2021
Ayo2004:

Most Nigerian fathers

As usual,your bitter mother influenced you into thinking negatively about fathers and yet you with no common sense that you will be a father one day drank the toxic medicine she gave you

This one don go!
I only hope one of your brothers learned common sense from the streets to avoid becoming a dunce like you

Sharrap! Most Nigerian fathers are deadbeat and irresponsible, deal with it or go and dive into the lagoon. From way back a lot of women have been handling household expenses and letting their husbands take credit for their efforts. Husbands of nowadays are even more useless because they feel the women need the marriage more than them, they're now leaving their wives take most if the financial responsibility. The children are seeing this and are now speaking out and you think you can bully them into silence, your head must be paining you and you're a bigger dunce to think you know a person's father more than him.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by neonly: 11:45am On Oct 10, 2021
Ayo2004:

Most Nigerian fathers

This one don go!

God bless u
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by seunny4lif(m): 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
Your bitter parents don’t train you well and too bad you already a dunce cool
Your mother and father did a bad job raising you together and it will have been better your father pour the semen on the floor or inside a condom cool
It’s show a single mother is far better than both your parents grin
Ayo2004:

Most Nigerian fathers

This one don go!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by homosapien(m): 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2021
dominique:

Sharrap! Most Nigerian fathers are deadbeat and irresponsible, deal with it or go and dive into the lagoon. From way back a lot of women have been handling household expenses and letting their husbands take credit for their efforts. Husbands of nowadays are even more useless because they feel the women need the marriage more than them, they're now leaving their wives take most if the financial responsibility. The children are seeing this and are now speaking out and you think you can bully them into silence, your head must be paining you and you're a bigger dunce to think you know a person's father more than him.

For every deadbeat father you know, I can count million who sweat's their Ass off to cater for the needs of the home.

From little experience, woman can also be useless and irresponsible depending on prism which you want to view.

You are right from your submission and he his Equally right .

My advise is, if the home is toxic, you can raise children who aren't Toxic. Sometimes, divorce is usually the best way out but because of religion and societal pressure, alot both man and woman are dying silently.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by TheEnygma(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
TheUndercover:
The effects are much and it goes both ways. If it's a child raised by a single dad, for example, a girl, she might lack the ability to exhibit her femininity. Such girls have a high risk of becoming masculine, because of no woman she can emulate her behaviour from. This is why the attention of both parents is needed to raise children.

If it's a male child raised by a single mother, the child has a higher chance of becoming effeminate due to the lack of masculine presense. The child doesn't know what it takes to be a man and tend to exhibit feminine behaviour.

The presense of both parents cannot be overemphasized, but the trend of this current generation is nothing to write home about. By a strong masculine presense and a submissive feminine presence, the children will truly grow to understand their nature and what's needed for them to do and how to act in order for them to grow in life. Single parenting can be stressful and can also lead to emotional damage in children.
Better oil dey your head.
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by TheEnygma(m): 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
Guyman02:
You can see the effect on black communities in America where it's rampant compared to Caucasians, gangs that kill without remorse most of them raised by single parents, high rate of criminality leading to the absence of masculine figures as a lot of them end up in jails and the circle continues.

One of the ways to keep down the blacks is to preach independent womanhood to them and how they don't need a man to raise their kids, just collect child support from him, which is not the same ideology in most caucasian neighbourhoods.
You're correct, the system in most black communities in America has created lots if single moms who were in turn raised by single moms , this has caused a kind of situation where most African American women to develop a sense of Independence from me ( feeling that they don't need a man).... This in turn has caused a lot of black men to find love at women from other races who make them feel wanted because those women weren't raised with such ideologies.

Look it up and you'll realize that the amount of black men who go into interracial relationships and marriages has increased drastically within the last 20 years.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by tete7000(m): 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
It is said that we are all products of social conditioning. We learn most of the things we learn in life by observing others. Environment where we grow up goes a long way in shaping how we perceive life. A child that grows up with the two parents, have an advantage of seeing his two parents interact as husband and wife. If he is a male child, he learns how to be a father and a husband by learning from his father; if she is a female, she learns to be a wife and a mother by watching his mother. Whether male or female, both genders get to learn some sort of spousal interactive skills from both parents. If the home is well set up and both parents relate well, the kid that grow up with both parents have an advantage of being better spouses than the one who grow up with a single parent. However, if a child grow up in a dysfunctional family set up, what ought to be an advantage for him/her might end up hurting and destroying him/her for life, in this case, some children who grow up with single parents who consciously work on the disadvantage their children suffer, might even end up better that the one who grow up in a dysfunctional family set up.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Blackdisciple(m): 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
No disadvantage cos the child is a blessing..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Originalsly: 1:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
Men are from Mars... Women are from Venus .... how on earth can one train a child to be like the other?.... can a monkey train a cat to be like a monkey? Men are wired different from women. A single mom cannot train a boy to be a man.... but don't tell her that. Both parents are needed period. Boys usually turn to the street and most times... become a menace to society... or be the ones that be abusing women. Men raising girls .... girls become more rugged than most single mom raised men males.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by ogemore(f): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
It has disadvantage. A friend of mine reased her daughter by herself and the child is grown-up now. She is so beautiful and nice shape but like insulting people and she can't take correction. She always look down on people they was a day an old woman came and was complaining how she insulted her and it's giving my friend headache.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by dominique(f): 1:44pm On Oct 10, 2021
homosapien:

For every deadbeat father you know, I can count million who sweat's their Ass off to cater for the needs of the home.

From little experience, woman can also be useless and irresponsible depending on prism which you want to view.

You are right from your submission and he his Equally right .

My advise is, if the home is toxic, you can raise children who aren't Toxic. Sometimes, divorce is usually the best way out but because of religion and societal pressure, alot both man and woman are dying silently.

I know they're a lot of good responsible fathers out there, what annoys me is how male nairalanders always want to shut down posters that speak about bad fathers. It's always the mothers influencing them against their fathers as if the children are blind, deaf and dumb.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by yunqdady: 2:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
seunny4lif:
Well, me and my brothers were raised by a single mother.
But it’s not easy to raise a child on your own talk-less of raising 3 boys.

Most Nigeria’s father abandoned their children when school fees time don reach.
Most family ass is been covered by the mother but the father take all credits.

One is a nurse to be
One is a doctor to be
And me I like my IT cool
It’s not easy oooh to raise a child by two people talkless of one person doing it.
Most? Have you been to every family to know this?. Drop the shitty talk
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by Gfskw: 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
Many
Re: What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? by bepositive11: 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
BadRadio:
What does having both parents or a single parent do in the life of a child while growing up?

Is it important for a child to be raised under the care, nurturing and supervision of both parents?

Do single baby mummies and daddies have issues with this in the long run?

Pls I need sincere answers. Thanks

Personally, I believe it's important for a child to have influence of both genders. Single parents need to at least make sure that their children has a relative of the opposite gender in their children's lives

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child / I Married My Rebound Guy, What Do I Do? / My Daily Routine As A Lagos Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.