Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos (24443 Views)

Three Men Arrested For Beating 23-year-old To Death Over Phone Theft In Ogun / Amuwo Odofin Task Force Arrests Manhole Cover Thieves / White Man Accuses Nigerian Man Of Theft In South Africa. See What Happened Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by illicit(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
undecided
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by BarrElChapo(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
Yep.. I've noticed it too
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by vinceyinnovation: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
The stolen manhole will be the pit for the robbers to enter when running from arrest...

But why are manhole covers not welded or sealed?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by WORLDREED(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
The government are busy with other things like looting and the rest.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by feldido(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
Worse with bridges and rail tracks
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by fitinwell: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
So you are not informed too... lipsrsealed
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
replace the metal manhole covers with concrete manhole covers
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Amoxman(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
Even for asaba, aboki iron condem scavengers don pack them finish
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by bikefab(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
Very common here in Abuja.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Badguy77(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
Who do they sell this things too? Those are the people that were sopos to be arrested first then those that sold it to them will be fished out.. E no pass like that.

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by chukwuibuipob: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
sad Those scrap collectors(Hausa boys are THIEVES sad.They DNT sleep.Some of them roam about at midnight.How dey theft /carry tank @building site still remain mystery to me till dis day.
Afriqan:
I noticed several months ago that almost everywhere you drive in Lagos, you'll notice that manhole covers are stolen even on express roads like Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Express road, Ikotun, Cele Express and even on the Island.

I've come to the conclusion that those responsible for the theft are scrap metal collectors and dealers popularly called "iron codemn" but the way they carry it out without anyone to challenge them makes me believe that local boys (aka omo adugbo) may be collaborating with them as you can't come from another area and steal something without involving the locals.

I wonder what the Lagos State government is doing about this as it has caused loss of lives in many cases. I am yet to hear of anyone getting apprehended for stealing manhole covers in Lagos... What is Alausa doing!!! shocked shocked

Please consider gracing the front page with this vital information...
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Equiano: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
I plunged into one on Saturday along ikorodu road.(idiroko bus stop)
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hello guys a new solidarity movement was created for Nigerian youths (students precisely)
Quote me to show your interest
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Jamesbiodun(m): 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2021
I don't think you are right how many iron are they going to get in it? angry the stress to break it alone angry it is those that clean the drainage that remove the cover but won't put it back coz of if they are asked to clean it up again... smiley

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by yemmywesey(m): 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
Mr governor doesn't know the reason why he is a governor, nah tinubu swaga ambition he is here to fulfill.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by lonelydora: 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
iCauseTrouble:
Not only in Lagos State but also in Abuja. Those scrap vendors are responsible for stealing it.
Those they are selling it to should be held responsible. If there is no buyer for it, they won't steal it.
Also, the government can make use of concrete to make it less attractive for thieves

Absolutely! The government should start arresting all "Iron Condemn" guys.

This also means Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by wizi4tyn: 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
Our small Uyo sef isn't left out. And like OP rightly pointed out, na those black iron condemn people dey thief am. If whatever people are responsible for securing these facilities aren't ready to do their jobs, maybe govt should stop making roads with these kinds of manholes.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Mrkumareze(m): 1:05pm On Oct 11, 2021
Abokis on the beat, its everywhere not just lagis state .. in my state, the two in front of legislative quarters has been removed long ago
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by papin190: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2021
Very on point on this. Even if you replace them, they still come back and steal.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Ashirioluwa: 1:07pm On Oct 11, 2021
Nigerian citizens are worse than Nigerian government. Our citizens stealing the new constructed railway lines
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by OgunkeelAllMod: 1:09pm On Oct 11, 2021
Abok1 @ work the parasite keep vandalising the zoo. Nothing works in their region[sub][/sub] undecided

Most of the one in Abuja has vandalized tey try including the street solar panel.. Just drive round and see wonder in the zoo undecided
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by naptu2: 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2021
From my 2019 thread.

Jubril A. Gawat @Mr_JAGs

The Environmental Task Force in Amuwo Odofin has apprehended two manhole thieves while attempting to cart away the stolen manholes from 401 and 512 roads respectively.

The Chairman of the Task Force, Otunba Marcus Adetifa in his statement said; "The directive from the Mayor is clear, we are to make Amuwo Odofin Local Government inhabitable for miscreants like this.

We have not only apprehended these ones who would serve as deterrents to others in such sharp practice, we have also been able to identify the buyers of the manhole covers.

We will make sure that the syndicate-chain are prosecuted and the trade totally discouraged and unprofitable"

https://twitter.com/Mr_JAGs/status/1189088034198867969

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by SportsHD: 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2021
Even in ibadan also.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Originalsly: 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2021
It is much easier to go after the scrap iron dealers. Simple... go undercover and sell the dealer 3 or 4 ... case closed. Knowing the covers are proned to theft.... couldn't they design them to make it difficult to steal unless one has certain tools?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ProtectMyMoney: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2021
The foundries who received it should be held responsible.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by LZAA: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2021
Just look at how slaves are scared to call out the misdemeanours of their masters
Meanwhile they are busy looking and creating ipob threads upandan
Smh
Cc AfonjaConehead helinues Afamed DaBullIT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by PhantomProbe(m): 1:16pm On Oct 11, 2021
Birth rate should be set to two children max per couple. It won't solve all the problems of the Nigerian society, but we can start from that.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Angelfrost(m): 1:16pm On Oct 11, 2021
How do we even continue to condone these "iron condemn" broad daylight rogues...

The leaders from state to local government should take action and stamp out their activities. A simple decree with enforcement will put an end to this.

Leadership is everything! These things happen and will continue to happen because elected leaders don't know why they are in office.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by carboblanko(m): 1:17pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:
Haa! I have been shouting this since.

Even in Port Harcourt, they have stolen almost all of them. They have stolen those in the newly built Artillery flyover.

All man way covers along Eneka road, Peter Odili road, Slaughter road, etc. have all been stolen. My advice to motorists is to avoid road edges when driving.
I think its better we begin to use concrate covers for these manholes.

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Eaglesence: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2021
Afriqan:
I noticed several months ago that almost everywhere you drive in Lagos, you'll notice that manhole covers are stolen even on express roads like Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Express road, Ikotun, Cele Express and even on the Island.

I've come to the conclusion that those responsible for the theft are scrap metal collectors and dealers popularly called "iron codemn" but the way they carry it out without anyone to challenge them makes me believe that local boys (aka omo adugbo) may be collaborating with them as you can't come from another area and steal something without involving the locals.

I wonder what the Lagos State government is doing about this as it has caused loss of lives in many cases. I am yet to hear of anyone getting apprehended for stealing manhole covers in Lagos... What is Alausa doing!!! shocked shocked

Please consider gracing the front page with this vital information...

You for let that man pass finish before you take the picture nau. Complaints should be directed to Alausa since e be like say them dey sleep
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by aikyg(m): 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2021
Simple solution. Do the manholes with concrete.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibrahim Abubakar Of NFF Shot Dead / Liberian Lady Brutalized By Fiancé In South Korea Few Weeks After Engagement / Policeman Breaks Electricity Worker’s Leg For Disconnecting Ex-ig’s House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.