Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos (24444 Views)

Three Men Arrested For Beating 23-year-old To Death Over Phone Theft In Ogun / Amuwo Odofin Task Force Arrests Manhole Cover Thieves / White Man Accuses Nigerian Man Of Theft In South Africa. See What Happened Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by emperordelis(m): 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:
Haa! I have been shouting this since.

Even in Port Harcourt, they have stolen almost all of them. They have stolen those in the newly built Artillery flyover.

All man way covers along Eneka road, Peter Odili road, Slaughter road, etc. have all been stolen. My advice to motorists is to avoid road edges when driving.

Old GRA isn't left out..Seems Lagos is the new target...BTW,how can we both be in PH and you're lonely?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by effort1: 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Afriqan:
I noticed several months ago that almost everywhere you drive in Lagos, you'll notice that manhole covers are stolen even on express roads like Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Express road, Ikotun, Cele Express and even on the Island.

I've come to the conclusion that those responsible for the theft are scrap metal collectors and dealers popularly called "iron codemn" but the way they carry it out without anyone to challenge them makes me believe that local boys (aka omo adugbo) may be collaborating with them as you can't come from another area and steal something without involving the locals.

I wonder what the Lagos State government is doing about this as it has caused loss of lives in many cases. I am yet to hear of anyone getting apprehended for stealing manhole covers in Lagos... What is Alausa doing!!! shocked shocked

Please consider gracing the front page with this vital information...

Not corroborating; it is collaborating
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2021
effort1:

Where did you see "corroborating"? You better use your glasses lol... grin
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2021
effort1:

Where did you see "corroborating"? You better use your glass lol... grin
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by lonelydora: 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
emperordelis:

Old GRA isn't left out..Seems Lagos is the new target...BTW,how can we both be in PH and you're lonely?

Do you want to take me out?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by emperordelis(m): 3:39pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:

Do you want to take me out?

I wouldn't mind,so long you don't live around Diobu wink
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Gfh1: 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by do4luv14(m): 5:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
naptu2:

There's no manhole cover in the second picture.

pls check again, about what's that � there
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Fortune109: 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
Should be made with other materials...
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by lonelydora: 5:09pm On Oct 11, 2021
emperordelis:

I wouldn't mind,so long you don't live around Diobu wink

Well, I don't live in Diobu and currently not in PH.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by naptu2: 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2021
do4luv14:

pls check again, about what's that � there

The first picture that's attached to the post that you quoted is of a screenshot of a tweet. The second picture shows people measuring the area around the manhole. The third picture shows workmen trying to cut through the area around the manhole and the fourth picture shows the warning tape (to warn motorists about the danger) before the manhole. There's no cover.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by emperordelis(m): 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:

Well, I don't live in Diobu and currently not in PH.

Oh,we probably should go see a movie whenever you're back in town

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ToneroInc: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2021
talk2maurice:
grin

So much hunger in the land.
I dedicate this FTC to all those that are hungry in the land.

Thanks bro. Your post has caused me to remember that we lost a HERO in 2OI9.

Hungerbad was really a blessing to many.

Continue to rest bro.

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by biosystech: 5:39pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:

Even in Port Harcourt, they have stolen almost all of them. They have stolen those in the newly built Artillery flyover.

All man way covers along Eneka road, Peter Odili road, Slaughter road, etc. have all been stolen. My advice to motorists is to avoid road edges when driving.
I noticed this while there, especially the one along the road that leads to Eliozu and I always pity the drivers that like to drive along pedestrian ways.

Almost all have been stolen.

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by murmee: 6:27pm On Oct 11, 2021
CJ310:
We are too criminally minded in this country. It’s the same way they steal bridge guard rails and wire mesh fences. Hunger in the land is no excuse to commit crime.

Theft of man hole covers = increase in road accidents

Theft of bridge guard rails = people/vehicles could fall off

Theft of wire mesh fences = silly people would try to cross express, leading to accident.
The Aluminum guard rails on the Pedestrian bridge at Five Star bus stop along Oshodi-Apapa expressway has been removed. The interesting part is that the rails were actually cut. That pedestrian bridge is now very dangerous to use both in daylight and at night. Lagos state Government needs to do something very fast before we begin to hear stories that touch!

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by benson81(m): 6:44pm On Oct 11, 2021
It's perpetrated mainly by abokis !
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by mamaafrik(m): 6:55pm On Oct 11, 2021
those abokis are worse,come to National theatre,iganmu Lagos even the old iron chairs on the lawn have been uprooted,the reconstruction people are just selling cables,a. c and materials and pocketing the cash despite the presence of police station there
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by sleekyjeva(m): 6:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
lonelydora:

This is so true

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by do4luv14(m): 7:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
naptu2:

The first picture that's attached to the post that you quoted is of a screenshot of a tweet. The second picture shows people measuring the area around the manhole. The third picture shows workmen trying to cut through the area around the manhole and the fourth picture shows the warning tape (to warn motorists about the danger) before the manhole. There's no cover.

yes, view that second pix again, and zoom into manhole, you will see how it was constructed to hold the cover, that's what am talking about,

too light, a 17years old, can remove such cover easily
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by naptu2: 8:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
do4luv14:

yes, view that second pix again, and zoom into manhole, you will see how it was constructed to hold the cover, that's what am talking about,

too light, a 17years old, can remove such cover easily

I have seen the actual manhole covers. A 17 year old cannot remove them easily. The thieves usually come with a range of equipment to remove it. As I said, the cover is not in any of the pictures that I posted in my first post. Scroll through the thread, you'll see the covers in my other posts and then tell me if a 17 year old can easily carry them. The cover is much thicker and heavier than what you are assuming from that picture and most importantly, they are sealed. The thieves usually come with equipment to break the seal.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by do4luv14(m): 8:02pm On Oct 11, 2021
naptu2:

I have seen the actual manhole covers. A 17 year old cannot remove them easily. The thieves usually come with a range of equipment to remove it. As I said, the cover is not in any of the pictures that I posted in my first post. Scroll through the thread, you'll see the covers in my other posts and then tell me if a 17 year old can easily carry them. The cover is much thicker and heavier than what you are assuming from that picture.

OK then, let's see
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by do4luv14(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2021
naptu2:

I have seen the actual manhole covers. A 17 year old cannot remove them easily. The thieves usually come with a range of equipment to remove it. As I said, the cover is not in any of the pictures that I posted in my first post. Scroll through the thread, you'll see the covers in my other posts and then tell me if a 17 year old can easily carry them. The cover is much thicker and heavier than what you are assuming from that picture and most importantly, they are sealed. The thieves usually come with equipment to break the seal.

Saw it, still too light and yes, for those round ones, a 17 years old can, by making use of thick ropes and Iron, it can be removed, by two people about that age
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by naptu2: 8:44pm On Oct 11, 2021
do4luv14:

Saw it, still too light and yes, for those round ones, a 17 years old can, by making use of thick ropes and Iron, it can be removed, by two people about that age

They are sealed. Sealed.

grin I've just noticed that you keep changing your responses. First you said that there was a manhole cover in a picture that had no manhole cover (you said it twice and I had to spell out what was in the picture before you changed your response). Then you said that a single 17 year old can remove and carry the cover. Now (after I directed you to my picture that has 2 people) you say that 2 17 year olds can remove and carry the cover with a rope.

What will it be next?

1 Like

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by OBIPLUS(m): 9:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
My problem is those buying from them.
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by perdollar(m): 11:28pm On Oct 11, 2021
What's d difference between manhole and glory hole?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 12, 2021
OBIPLUS:
My problem is those buying from them.

I guess they usually add it to bulk of scrap exported outside the country. It's heavy metal scrap and when exported in tonnage, has high value in the recycling industry. We don't have much steel mills in Nigeria that can really require such constant supply...
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Emilokoiyawon: 12:16am On Oct 12, 2021
After they will come to Nairaland to say "...Nigeria is not working...' How will it work with criminals like you?
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ikorodureporta: 5:52am On Oct 12, 2021
They can use hard plastic instead
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by AfonjaConehead: 6:35pm On Oct 12, 2021
LZAA:
Just look at how slaves are scared to call out the misdemeanours of their masters
Meanwhile they are busy looking and creating ipob threads upandan
Smh
Cc AfonjaConehead helinues Afamed DaBullIT
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ceejay80s(m): 9:01am On Oct 13, 2021
iCauseTrouble:
Not only in Lagos State but also in Abuja. Those scrap vendors are responsible for stealing it.
Those they are selling it to should be held responsible. If there is no buyer for it, they won't steal it.
Also, the government can make use of concrete to make it less attractive for thieves
Which one be scrap vendors? Na aboki
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Curious345: 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
Afriqan:

I guess they usually add it to bulk of scrap exported outside the country. It's heavy metal scrap and when exported in tonnage, has high value in the recycling industry. We don't have much steel mills in Nigeria that can really require such constant supply...
you're indeed a misguided folk.... You don't say Wat you don't know
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 03, 2021
Curious345:
you're indeed a misguided folk.... You don't say Wat you don't know

Why not focus on your occultic journey and let sane people be... undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibrahim Abubakar Of NFF Shot Dead / Liberian Lady Brutalized By Fiancé In South Korea Few Weeks After Engagement / Policeman Breaks Electricity Worker’s Leg For Disconnecting Ex-ig’s House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.