Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,597 members, 7,823,600 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu (9036 Views)

Ex-governor Aliyu Booed And Stoned By Angry Crowd At Inauguration / Nigeria To Pay New York $1m Parking Fees / Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by ektbear: 9:57am On Jun 01, 2011
By Dupe Olaoye-Osinkolu 9 hours 46 minutes ago

Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State yesterday said payment of the N18,000 new minimum wage will be difficult for the state.
The governor, who was reacting to a statement issued by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) urging all states to start implementing the new wage, said based on what accrues to the state from the Federation Account, payment of new wage would be difficult.
The NLC had also asked governors who cannot pay the new wage to resign.
Governor Aliyu, who spoke during a vote of thanks at a lecture in Minna, tagged: "Towards the Economic Transformation and viability of Nigerian States", called for a review in the federal revenue allocation formula to allow states pay the new minimum wage.  
Lamenting the fate of states that get lower monthly revenue allocation from the government, he said: "A colleague of mine in another state gets N10 billion per month and I get N2.4 billion per month.  
"Then somebody in Abuja said that the person collecting N2.4 billion as federal allocation per month must pay the same salary with the person collecting N10 billion per month. From the report of a committee available to me in the state, we need N4.5 billion per month to pay the new minimum wage. 

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/8016-%E2%80%98niger-can%E2%80%99t-pay-new-minimum-wage%E2%80%99.html
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by ektbear: 10:01am On Jun 01, 2011
His point is a good one.

I've never been a fan of this minimum wage idea.

And in this case especially. . . how can the FG mandate a minimum wage w/o taking into account the funds of each state? Makes no sense for states like Niger and Ekiti to have the same minimum wage as Lagos or Rivers, for example. . . cost of living is way lower in the former than the latter.

Or is the FG going to pay the salaries of these folks?  undecided

I thought in a federalism, states should be able to design their own policies that are a better fit for their states. Cookie cutter, one-size-fits-all government doesn't make any sense.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by ektbear: 10:04am On Jun 01, 2011
Wait a second though. . . I don't believe this N4.5 billion/month figure he says. That is 250K workers. And I highly doubt that Niger State has anywhere near that # of workers on its payroll.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by efisher(m): 10:09am On Jun 01, 2011
Mr Governor man up and stop complaining. They didn't put you there to break melon and share money. If you don't have enough cash, find a way to generate it. You are supposed to be a manager not a cashier! If you don't know what to do, why did you take the job in the first place? If you are serious and really don't know what to do, you can as well ask Fashola.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by efisher(m): 10:20am On Jun 01, 2011
@ Ekt bear, you made an observation about number of workers. He can start by fishing out the ghost workers in the system. The minimum wage should come as an opportunity for improvement and not otherwise.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by violent(m): 10:20am On Jun 01, 2011
State governors should embrace a minimum pay-by-hour approach.  This would mean that workers can effectively earn what they put in, and would improve overall output.

A pay of 38 naira per hour equals a minimum wage of 18,000 per month.  Rather than dish out 18,000 per month to an unproductive labour, a 38 naria per hour pay would ensure that only active workers are rewarded and in effect, reduce the overall labour cost.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by otokx(m): 10:25am On Jun 01, 2011
@violent

this is not the UK where people are paid by the hour

@all

this minimum wage thing should be a benchmark for all states; some states like Lagos, Rivers and Abuja with higher costs of living can pay more.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by violent(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2011
otokx:

@violent

this is not the UK where people are paid by the hour

@all

this minimum wage thing should be a benchmark for all states; some states like Lagos, Rivers and Abuja with higher costs of living can pay more.

Nigeria is also not the UK where people have access to uninterrupted power supply. . .do you suppose that should mean Nigerians don't deserve one?

Construct logical argument, will ya?
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by otokx(m): 10:44am On Jun 01, 2011
@violent
I don't see any thing illogical in my argument rather its yours that is. UK has its system which is automated i suppose, we here have a largely humane manual system and we shall keep it at that.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by violent(m): 10:48am On Jun 01, 2011
otokx:

@violent
I don't see any thing illogical in my argument rather its yours that is. UK has its system which is automated i suppose, we here have a largely humane manual system and we shall keep it at that.

very sensible. . .humane manual systems work better, are more efficient, cost cheaper, provides better results than automated systems, so lets keep it that way!

I suspect you, or someone you know, benefit from a system where you don't have to show up at work and still get paid the hours not worked. . . .so, why not let's keep it that way!
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by debosky(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

Wait a second though. . . I don't believe this N4.5 billion/month figure he says. That is 250K workers. And I highly doubt that Niger State has anywhere near that # of workers on its payroll.

Not all the workers earn minimum wage - if you increase the wages of the lowest paid workers, you can't leave the others on the same pay. if you look at it that way, the impact goes beyond minimum wage but instead results in a pay increase for all government workers at once.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by otokx(m): 10:56am On Jun 01, 2011
@violent

The problem with some of us is that we do not even understand our local environment. One Big man came to install swipe cards to monitor staff performance but when he got the cost of installation and noticed that it was premised on some form of constant electricity he then back tracked.

Summary of the matter is first things first. This minimum wage has to be paid whether ALIYU likes it or yes because the money he has been stealing is far greater.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by ektbear: 11:01am On Jun 01, 2011
@debosky: I understand that. I'm just questioning how he gets this # of 4.5 billion. . . It seems too high to me.

Let's guesstimate average wage of civil servant is double minimum? That is 125K people.

Does Niger State even have up to 50k civil servants? Seems doubtful.

So if implementing this minimum wage would lead to spending N4.5 billion/month ($30 million) on payroll, then something is deeply, deeply wrong with the administration of Niger State.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by efisher(m): 11:08am On Jun 01, 2011
I don't need a prophet to tell me that there are ghost workers in that state even if the figure may not be very significant. There are also many real but redundant staff. The government should focus on generating revenues and cutting down on "waste".
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by queensmith: 12:35pm On Jun 01, 2011
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Another reason for uniform wage payments across the federation has always been for rural developments.
If the state has a lower income, it will have less inhabitants and subsequently less staff. It can still very much afford to pay the minimum wage with no hassle. Since the % difference between the number of civil servants working for the state will equivalate to the difference in income with other states.
The lower cost of living will be of benefit to those living in rural areas and discourage the large influx of indigenes to developed states. Its a way to encourage development welbeing and progression so in this sense everyone is a winner.

The man is just greedy, he's mad because paying his staff more will mean he has less to swallow! kmt

fire the mumu!
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by surveycash(m): 12:49pm On Jun 01, 2011
Which state, with source, has implemented the new minimum wage?
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by samcc30(m): 12:56pm On Jun 01, 2011
mr governor dont forget that your people have drive away those one that suppose to boost your  state economics,
so dont complain pay those one left behind
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by kayoday(m): 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2011
Niger State might not be able to pay the minimum wage presently, the governor has to deal with ghost workers in the civil service  payroll. My cousin who is a doctor in the state said there are 600 doctors in the goverment payroll while a little over 100  doct0rs are actually employed(House officers inclusive). House officers in Niger State are paid by hand nothing like bank account. I guess same applies to other Ministries.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by Soundmind(m): 1:10pm On Jun 01, 2011
If this governor is telling us that he have 250000 workers in the payroll, then he have to be diagonised of malaria immediately. If he cannot pay 18k, pls he should resign. He did not tell us his total emolument for a month. He did not tell sitting allowance of his executive council weekly. All he knows is that he cannot pay a poor staff 18k per month. He have never place himself in the shews of those poor salary earners, thats why.
Oga Aliyu, commot make person wey go fit pay enter the front sit. U go see the journey go fine well well.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by Fhemmmy: 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2011
1. What is the population of Niger State?
2. How much is he making himself?
3. What has he got to show for the money has been paid so far for all the times he has been the governor?
4. Has he spent time to to investigate the serious employees and the ghost workers?

Let him do his job and he would found out how many employees he would really have to pay, then, he would know that it is not as bad as he thought
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by LilyZ(f): 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2011
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by jungle007: 2:23pm On Jun 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

States do not use all their monthly allocation to pay salary. Niger State get N2.5 billion monthly from the Federal Government. Out of this, they would also have to plan for capital expenditure which include building good roads, schools,hospitals, housing e.t.c This should take the larger portion of their monthly revenue.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by rolchi(m): 2:24pm On Jun 01, 2011
Servant-Governor!
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by ektbear: 2:28pm On Jun 01, 2011
jungle007:

States do not use all their monthly allocation to pay salary. Niger State get N2.5 billion monthly from the Federal Government. Out of this, they would also have to plan for capital expenditure which include building good roads, schools,hospitals, housing e.t.c This should take the larger portion of their monthly revenue.

Ah, maybe I misread. I thought the 4.5 billion was what he believes he'd need to spend on salary.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by DisGuy: 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2011
Some of these state governors should make cuts elsewhere, they are busy building White elephant projects, or some projects that are not sustainable
Imagine a state like Gombe building Hotel and stadium (they have no football team and no athletes) Most of them are also fond of building new Government complex or houses for the governors

The incoming Governors should reduce the wage of their Commissioners by 15% or merged separate ministries

Niger state some few years ago was looking to build hotels on/near the Zuma rock signing redundant MoU with an American company, absolute wast of money
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by JAZES(m): 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ah, maybe I misread. I thought the 4.5 billion was what he believes he'd need to spend on salary.
The 2.5Billion is what the state gets for the whole month in
which they are expected to do capital projects and also pay
workers salary.
Someone please correct me if am wrong.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by DisGuy: 2:59pm On Jun 01, 2011
Aliyu is a lazy bagger, Niger state is next to Abuja, I wonder why he is not taking advantage of that, many people can be living in Niger and Working in Abuja, build estate on the border towns and get the FG to build the roads

Or attract Companies looking to serve the Abuja-north central markets and get them to Build in Niger state where land and labour would be cheaper
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by efisher(m): 3:03pm On Jun 01, 2011
^ Exactly. There is so much opportunity for growth in that State. He is just being lazy. Put a thinker like Duke or Fashola there and everybody will want to relocate there in a few years.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by md4real(m): 4:50pm On Jun 01, 2011
LAZY is an understatement. the guy is purely a bloody thieving bastard and he used the entrenched poverty he encouraged to buy his way back to the government house. now he feels he has nothing to lose because he won his second term. let see how it gonna end.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by EKENEA(m): 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2011
Please delete the state from Nigeria map
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by fuke(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2011
The  federal Government should allow eah state to pay according to prevailing condition.
In a federation you cannot enforce this kind of thing unless you enforce many other factorers.

Now, the truth is that some states cannot pay this wage with what they get from the center.
Ekiti and Oyo for example will be axphixiated to death if they do.  If oyo uses all her allocation
to pay the wage, it will still not be enough.

I am not against good pay but let people work for their money. The civil sevice is overbloated .
It should be reduced by about 70%. Before I am crucified, I know what I am saying. I was in an office
the other da,y 9 out of 10 there were sleeping. The tenth person was dozing.
  There is a guy here in a fed ministry. He resumes work on Tuesdaty and travel again on Thursday.
  Things cannot continue like this.

If an ailment needs a sugical operation, you go for the scapel, not tablets.
Re: Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu by efisher(m): 5:37pm On Jun 01, 2011
^ The simple solution to that attitude is to cut off those lazy guys or make them work for their money! It is the responsibility of the governor to ensure his staff are adding value. Complacency should not be tolerated. The minimum wage can be implemented if they do their job well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Otedola Wants Public Hearing With Reps / Jonathanians, Can We See The Pictures Of The So-called 9 Brand New Universities? / Can an Igbo Man Be the Governor of Lagos State? (Segregation on Channels TV?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.