Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS (9082 Views)

Jonathan Govt. Created 469,070 Jobs In 2015 Before Leaving Office – NBS / Jonathan Orders CBN To Stop N5,000 Note Plan / Introduction Of N5,000 Note: Nigerians Are Wasting Their Time – Sanusi Lamido (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by youngies(m): 10:03am On Sep 14, 2012
A survey by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has revealed that 75.1 per cent of Nigerians are opposed to the currency restructuring by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) which will lead to the introduction of the N5’000 note and the conversion of lesser bills to coins.

According to the poll conducted by the NBS, only 16.1 per cent of the Nigerian populace are in strong support of the CBN policy while 4.04 and 4.62 per cent were partially in support and against the currency restructuring policy respectively.

The proposal to introduce the larger bill and convert the N20, N10 and N5 bills into coins has generated a lot of controversy with many groups issuing statements against the CBN initiative.

However, the CBN says it will introduce the new note and coins come 2013 despite the opposition the policy is receiving.

The unyielding stand of the CBN may not be unconnected to the full support given to the policy by both the federal and state governments. The policy has also received the approval and backing of the presidency.

Nigeria’s Economic Management Team also believes that the move will help drive the country’s economy and discourage the high demand for the US dollar, saying the N5,000 bill will only be for banks and a few “heavy cash users”.

But many are of the view that the new policy will engender corruption, fuel inflation and negate the “cashless” policy of the CBN, which was designed to promote the use of non-cash transaction instruments.

FBN Capital Limited, in its bulletin just released, had noted that “some opposition can be attributed to a generalised lack of trust in any official measure with economic or financial implications”.

On the cost of managing cash, FBN Capital said, “We note the high, but falling, cost of currency management. Over N125 billion was spent in the past three years printing and minting currency. If this move goes through, we expect to see significant savings made, as the new currency note becomes easier to carry and manage.

“We are also of the view that there is no proven evidence of a correlation between inflation and higher currency denominations. Inflation as we know it is fuelled by too much money chasing fewer goods.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/34835/2012/09/14/75_nigerians_oppose_n5000_note_nbs.html
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Acidosis(m): 10:20am On Sep 14, 2012
Less than 0.1% have perfect understanding of economics.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by youngies(m): 10:49am On Sep 14, 2012
Acidosis: Less than 0.1% have perfect understanding of economics.
What understanding of economics is more than the experiences of Nigerians each and every time this kind policy has been introduced in the past

9 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by k2039: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2012
youngies:

According to the poll conducted by the NBS, only 16.1 per cent of the Nigerian populace are in strong support of the CBN policy

Am one of the 16.1%

1 Like

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Acidosis(m): 1:46pm On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Am one of the 16%
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Scarpon(m): 2:29pm On Sep 14, 2012
some time i just wonder if person mistake collect the fake 5k note omo na die oo

4 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by IleIfe2(m): 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
[size=13pt]my conspiracy theory. grin grin

Sanusi was looking for a confrontation between him and jonathan so he could leave the job on a high note, but jonathan did not give him the attention he wanted. he wants to leave as the CBN governor and the saviour of the Talakawa (poor people) who confronted the infidel president. so, by the time his tenure as CBN gov is finished, Boko-haram must have assassinated Ado Bayero, then he will become the Talakawa's emir.[/size] grin grin grin
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF sls GOES AHEAD WITH HIS PLAN.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by megxo(m): 2:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
nigeria>>>>>ultimate copy cats>>>>>>>>.SMH4DC
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by ebamma(m): 2:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
As far as the introduction of 5000 naira note,wont affect the price of garri, i have nothing against it

2 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Ogbodavies(m): 2:41pm On Sep 14, 2012
d govt should go d majority way,for once listen 2 d people
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by ejifranks(m): 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2012
Have no problem with 5000 introduction...Na coins be the wahala.... cant wait to see ebamma with pockets filled with jingling coins forming big boy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by stanley095(m): 2:44pm On Sep 14, 2012
The only reason anyone could venture into a plan despite d ppls opinion is based on self benefit. He has his own secret plans. Sanusi knws what he is doing. If we nigerians cant kill dis plan of his we should as well kill d planner. (sanusi) let not 4get he his only a human n not god. Crazy greedy set of pple.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by 1025: 2:46pm On Sep 14, 2012
Am one of the 16%

@k2039,
please tell me the advantages of this N5000 note.
one thing i noticed in nigeria is that nobody is ready to convince anybody rather it is always about FORCE.
tell us the advantages so that we will begin to see the things u are seeing.
during the subsidy problems in january, many who supported the removal had nothing to tell those of us that never supported the idea rather we were forced to accept the idea with the introduction of the soldiers.is the use of soldiers part of the democratic rluing?
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by ariy(m): 2:46pm On Sep 14, 2012
minority rule nigeria
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by NobleAngell(f): 2:49pm On Sep 14, 2012
I dont knw y, but i have a strong hunch dat dis 5000naira note is alredi a done deal. D whole opposition from d senate and presidency is all deceit. NA WASH. Dey want us 2 tink dey are on our side. Sooner or later, u guys wil c wot i min. No b naija again?

3 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by stanley095(m): 2:50pm On Sep 14, 2012
ebamma: As far as the introduction of 5000 naira note,wont affect the price of garri, i have nothing against it
guy are u high d 5k note no go only inflat d price of garri e go make garri scare 4 market. Even though u c am buy self e go be like rice 4 ur eye. Den e go become big boys food alone. Na die be dis oo.

3 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by grandstar(m): 2:51pm On Sep 14, 2012
Acidosis: Less than 0.1% have perfect understanding of economics.

You are 110% correct. Sanusi has not even gone far enough. He should introduce the 10,000naira note!
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by amosy007: 2:56pm On Sep 14, 2012
WRONG

90% (masses) = Against it

5.5% (politicians and those thieves that hide behind politicians. E.g dangote, otedola etc)
= gave full support

4.5% (confused mallam) = are indifferent or partially support it.

1 Like

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Blackbody20(m): 2:58pm On Sep 14, 2012
NobleAngell: I dont knw y, but i have a strong hunch dat dis 5000naira note is alredi a done deal. D whole opposition from d senate and presidency is all deceit. NA WASH. Dey want us 2 tink dey are on our side. Sooner or later, u guys wil c wot i min. No b naija again?
Tell them o my brother.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by thelastPope(m): 3:00pm On Sep 14, 2012
How do you implement a cashless economy by introducing a currency note that makes it easier for people to carry cash? Can't just get my head around it. Its got to be the irony of the year!

3 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Opoki(m): 3:08pm On Sep 14, 2012
youngies: A survey by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has revealed that 75.1 per cent of Nigerians are opposed to the currency restructuring by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) which will lead to the introduction of the N5’000 note and the conversion of lesser bills to coins.

According to the poll conducted by the NBS, only 16.1 per cent of the Nigerian populace are in strong support of the CBN policy while 4.04 and 4.62 per cent were partially in support and against the currency restructuring policy respectively.

The proposal to introduce the larger bill and convert the N20, N10 and N5 bills into coins has generated a lot of controversy with many groups issuing statements against the CBN initiative.

However, the CBN says it will introduce the new note and coins come 2013 despite the opposition the policy is receiving.

The unyielding stand of the CBN may not be unconnected to the full support given to the policy by both the federal and state governments. The policy has also received the approval and backing of the presidency.

Nigeria’s Economic Management Team also believes that the move will help drive the country’s economy and discourage the high demand for the US dollar, saying the N5,000 bill will only be for banks and a few “heavy cash users”.
Who are they? Bankole, Farook and co.

But many are of the view that the new policy will engender corruption, fuel inflation and negate the “cashless” policy of the CBN, which was designed to promote the use of non-cash transaction instruments.

FBN Capital Limited, in its bulletin just released, had noted that “some opposition can be attributed to a generalised lack of trust in any official measure with economic or financial implications”.

On the cost of managing cash, FBN Capital said, “We note the high, but falling, cost of currency management. Over N125 billion was spent in the past three years printing and minting currency. If this move goes through, we expect to see significant savings made, as the new currency note becomes easier to carry and manage.
This shows SLS has a bad intention for this country! Don't ask why, because why. He's encouraging Money laundering.

“We are also of the view that there is no proven evidence of a correlation between inflation and higher currency denominations. Inflation as we know it is fuelled by too much money chasing fewer goods.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/34835/2012/09/14/75_nigerians_oppose_n5000_note_nbs.html
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Wsdm: 3:09pm On Sep 14, 2012
I am not a believer in any of those sketchy opinion poles because they are too lazy to carry out pure statistical sampling. Eventhough the majority of the populace is against this move, do they give a damn?
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by klax(m): 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2012
@ the laspost Quote" How do you implement a cashless economy by introducing a currency note that makes it easier for people to carry cash? Can't just get my head around it. Its got to be the irony of the year!"

God bless you.

I tried to figure out the kind of brain in Sanusi head I could not understand as a matter of fact I still doubt all Sanisu qualifications and experience because I have never see or heard of great economist doing what he is doing so strange indeed. Is Sanusi really educated or he is just one of those "educated Virus" that exist in the North??

2 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Pukkah: 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2012
thelastPope: How do you implement a cashless economy by introducing a currency note that makes it easier for people to carry cash? Can't just get my head around it. Its got to be the irony of the year!

Besides, the conversion of some notes into cash does not make sense given the sociological make-up (right or wrong) of the Nigerian people. Economics is a social science and exists to serve the people and make their lives easy.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 14, 2012
ebamma: As far as the introduction of 5000 naira note,wont affect the price of garri, i have nothing against it
my brother I dey with you.... But definitely, IT WILL.

Even the prize of kpomo will be affected, not to even talk of the prize of coming to NAIRALAND. You know?
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by ujukala: 3:19pm On Sep 14, 2012
Majority wins but minority carries the vote. Nigeria economics.

1 Like

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by thelastPope(m): 3:20pm On Sep 14, 2012
Pukkah:

Besides, the conversion of some notes into cash does not make sense given the sociological make-up (right or wrong) of the Nigerian people. Economics is a social science and exists to serve the people and make their lives easy.

Common sense will be to actually make it difficult for people to carry cash. Why would big companies want to carry cash in 2012 anyway? Its all so dumb. The obvious way to go is to redenominate or redecimalise. Get everyone on POS and mobile money. That's what philipines have been doing for over 6 years now. The only people that want to transfer large cash are politicians, money launders, drug dealers and currency traffickers and counterfeiters. No sane manufacturer will cary large cash around as the CBN claims. Its too risky.
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by savcy(m): 3:23pm On Sep 14, 2012
Its flummoxing why SLS has held a tight grip on this no-good policy of his?! Why is he taking this whole thing personal?? Nigeria is a sovereign state and nt his private busines where we must give in 2 his every idea. How many of his 'genius' ideas have ever resulted in anyting good for Nigerians? The last time I checked the Naira is no where 2d dollar. As for our so-called NL economists, We dont nid 2get a Havard degree on Economics to knw how badly ds misdemeanour of a policy wil affect d livelihood of d average Nigerian. Every currency denomination in Nigeria ends up chasing themselves soon afta a new one is introduced. Thats why we say ds unecesary 5k note wil increase d already terible inflation. SLS once said Nigerians can choose nt 2 acpt d note wen given in banks. The question is,why create it in d first place? Who wil it serve? The big companies who abhor d carrying of cash around? Or d pure water(sachet water),garri,puffpuff or d roadside 'mee-shiai'<cafe>? Who is d target for ds denomination? I think d whole 5000naira note propaganda is a well thought-out plan by d presidency and d political class 2 turn our attention away 4rm d Farouk-Otedola issue,also,d subsidy scandal. Seeing dat we Nigerians enjoy being distracted. angry

3 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Am one of the 16%
you and the remaining 16% people no well be dat! Una head no correct. undecided

5 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by Acidosis(m): 3:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
berem: you and the remaining 16% people no well be dat! Una head no correct. undecided
me inclusive ?
Re: 75% Nigerians Oppose N5,000 Note - NBS by timpaker(m): 3:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
somehow i support the introduction of the N5,000 note

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Fraudulent Nigerian Forbes Billionaires. / SERAP Seeks Details Of ₦800 Billion Recovered Loot / Pictures Of Abaribe Infrastructural Project After 20 Years In The Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.