Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months (31763 Views)

Bende: I Won’t Appeal Tribunal Judgement – Labour Party’s Candidate / Duoye Diri: I've Instructed My Lawyers To Appeal Tribunal Ruling / Osun Governorship: ‘How Tinubu Influenced Composition Of Appeal Tribunal Panel' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Islie: 4:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
REVEALED: In June 2021, FG quietly made new tax rules that could kill your business in six months

In 2016, three university students discussed the idea of a fintech. They built together and ran pilots in school, getting 500 students to use the product they were bringing to the market. By 2018, 14 months after graduation, they hit one million subscribers. With a little media coverage and a lot of networking, they get a US company to invest $50 million for them to scale. In six months, this unicorn-in-the-making is burnt to debts by new tax rules quietly introduced by the federal government. This is avoidable.

In June 2021, Zainab Ahmed, the minister of finance, budget and national planning, approved the Tax Appeal Tribunal (Procedure) rules, 2021. This replaces the 2010 TAT rules, which had a few shortcomings and had become obsolete in some sense.

For the most part, the new rules are good for businesses; both KPMG and PwC agree that the rules are a reflection of the country’s most recent realities.

“The implementation of the new Rules emphasizes the Federal Government’s commitment to improving Nigeria’s tax landscape,” KPMG’s Wole Obayomi wrote.

For PwC, the rules “are intended to make the TAT more efficient in the dispensation of justice. They are also a reflection of the current realities given the wide adoption of technology in the administration of justice”.

The new rules now recognise service of documents by email or such other electronic means as the Tribunal may permit. It also gives room for virtual or remote hearing of applications and delivery of rulings by the tribunal.

In addition to all these, it also introduces a six-month timeframe from the date of commencement of trial for the tribunal to conclude and provide a decision on an appeal.

THE BUSINESS KILLER IN THE RULES

In the midst of all that good rules is also a potential business killer. According to order 3 rule 6 of the Tax Appeal Tribunal (Procedure) rules, 2021, “for an appeal against the tax authority, the aggrieved person will pay 50% of the disputed amount into designated account by the Tribunal before hearing as security for prosecuting the appeal”.

In simpler terms, this means FIRS could simply claim that a company valued at $50 million owes $100 million in unpaid taxes. The company could appeal the decision of the tax authority at the Tax Appeal Tribunal but would need to pay $50 million — 50% of the disputed amount — as security before the appeal can be heard.

This also means that if the company does not pay the $50 million, the tribunal will not begin hearing. If the hearing cannot start, there will be no justice, and the tax authority may effectively shut down the business to recover the “tax claim”.

This would discourage companies from approaching the tribunal for justice, it would encourage them to disobey tax authorities, and would ultimately lead to more damage in the tax landscape.

In its advisory about the tax rules, PwC said “there are concerns that the provision is a bar to access to justice which is contrary to the constitutional rights of fair hearing and a fair trial”.

The advisory said, “it is inconsistent with similar provisions in the Federal Inland Revenue Service (Establishment) Act 2007 which gives the TAT discretion to order payment as security where a taxpayer failed to file returns”.

That discretion has been taken away from the tribunal as a fixed price has been set to somewhat favour the tax authority — all the time. KPMG agrees.

“The introduction of a blanket requirement for taxpayers to make a 50% deposit of disputed amounts to the TAT may act as a clog in the wheels of justice and discourage taxpayers from pursuing recourse from the TAT,” Obayomi said.

This new tax rule takes the tribunal “away from the less formal dispute resolution framework” it was designed to be.

KPMG asked the minister of finance to consider making the “TAT Rules less litigious or court-like to ensure the TAT maintains its edge as a speedy and non-litigious tax dispute resolution forum”.

https://www.thecable.ng/revealed-in-june-2021-fg-quietly-made-new-tax-rules-that-could-kill-your-business-in-six-months

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Ekejoestar(m): 5:10pm On Oct 14, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by fourboys: 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2021
Onye mbuhari we are sorry forgive us embarassed embarassed, pls step down

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by expertman(m): 5:14pm On Oct 14, 2021
Why is this government looking for a way to suffer the masses and collect almost all the proceed from our daily hustle?

This government wicked oooo

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by GRACETOLIVE(f): 5:17pm On Oct 14, 2021
Buhari is obviously achieving his aim - destroying the economy and killing Nigerians.

132 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Rasome(m): 8:53pm On Oct 14, 2021
Waiting concern me with tax although I can't avoid VAT

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by SmartGadgetz: 8:53pm On Oct 14, 2021
No matter what, Nigeriians will thrive.

I just posted a clean Volkswagen passat 2004 on my profile. #700k. Automatic.

Check my profile for pictures.

3 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Calibrator: 8:53pm On Oct 14, 2021
Are you sure that Nigeria is not the hell fire the various religions are always hammering about and we Nigerians were reincarnated here as punishment because of our misdeeds in our past lives.

Even Hell fire no suppose dey hellish reach this country.

49 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by SmartGadgetz: 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
Naija killing her babies

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by sweetonugbu: 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
Problem,naija matter na chibo anuozo.

2 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by humilitypays(m): 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
Take it from me, this very killer Tax law came from The VP, Prof Osinbajo because President Buhari is not learned and sound enough to make this kind of dangerous tax law.

Osinbajo maybe brilliant academically, believe me, he wont make a good President as far as Nigeria is concerned

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
But we don't use dollars in Nigeria, why are they quoting the figures in dollars

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by kennethfranc(m): 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
My fellow JAPA-nese may God grant our request

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by KaptainAfrika: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
They came to wreck Nigeria's economy.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Picardor2: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
Next time if una hear change una go ask questions like change to where

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Makib2020(m): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
Make everybody just gettaut grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Sabssy: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
fourboys:
Onye mbuhari we are sorry forgive us embarassed embarassed, pls step down

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Authoreety: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
Chai
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by MIMOSAXY(m): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
K
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by kennyz247(m): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2021
abeg if anybody have a easy and cheaper way to leave ds country called Zoo pls don't hesitate to let me know.....
I need to japa ds nothing works well country for Buhari and his ass leaking supporters

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by treesun: 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2021
This government is full of deceit and VP is claiming ease of doing business. All their laws are archaic!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by BennyDGreat: 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2021
What's really happening?
If this rule is true, it's just outrageous...
Government needs to tread carefully in a highly tensed economy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by merits(m): 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2021
cryY
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Antoeni(m): 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
Reno Omokri vs Natasha,
Fani-Kayode vs Gov Wike,
Ganduje vs Shekarau,
Sunday Igboho vs Cotonou police, Nnamdi Kanu vs DSS.
Tonto dike Vs Jane mena
Tonto dike vs Kpokpogiri
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Commentor: 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
In theory.

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by PENNYSWAP: 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
The funniest thing is , peoples still call buhari darling daddy , people wey dey buy gas 1kg 650

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I wanted to sell one of my old fvcked up cars to make space parking space , a car that people was pricing me before 650k , my mechanic said make I no sell am less than 1.7m say cars Dom costly ....
He even brought a buyer begging me for 1.2m I was laughing ...

You see this country , it’s so fvcked up

17 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Comedian2019: 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
Ok, APC miscreants will run away from this thread

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by SyrusdeHansome(m): 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
Buhari came with a three fold missions, to steal, kill and to destroy. The man is a human Satan

18 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
This is madness

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by flokii: 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
Madam Adeosun would have faired better as Finance Minister if not for envy and hate from some quarters.

Naira has crashed yet they kept mute on Emefiele because he is their brother, but they go about writing nonsense and blackmailing people from other ethnicities over unreasonable things.

15 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘$11bn Trial In London Court To Reveal Monumental Corruption In Nigeria / Kwara Governor Hamed Was Stoned On Sallah Day. / LAK Jimoh: “O To Ge’’ - How I Originated Campaign Slogan That Dethroned Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.