Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months (31754 Views)

Bende: I Won’t Appeal Tribunal Judgement – Labour Party’s Candidate / Duoye Diri: I've Instructed My Lawyers To Appeal Tribunal Ruling / Osun Governorship: ‘How Tinubu Influenced Composition Of Appeal Tribunal Panel' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by macrodata(m): 9:36pm On Oct 14, 2021
Rasome:
Waiting concern me with tax although I can't avoid VAT
Wait till you lose your job before you understand that tax affects you indirectly. Even if you dont have a job, some of these things you enjoy such as internet and pure water are run by companies that pay tax. Your family member could also lose their job if their company cannot pay tax and put a liability on your head. Please educate yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
See how sleeping in za oza room can get you confused grin
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by panpan(m): 9:40pm On Oct 14, 2021
Islie:
According to order 3 rule 6 of the Tax Appeal Tribunal (Procedure) rules, 2021, “for an appeal against the tax authority, the aggrieved person will pay 50% of the disputed amount into designated account by the Tribunal before hearing as security for prosecuting the appeal”.

This rule should be challenged in court.
It assumes the aggrieved person is guilty until proven otherwise.

The rule prevents fair hearing, because an amount, which in theory could even be greater than the value of the company, has to be deposited as security by the aggrieved person; but the tax authority is free from any financial obligation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by adelaja70(m): 9:41pm On Oct 14, 2021
Fake... See as them put the blame on Osinbajo without any evidence. Igbo man OP.. Try harder.. Yoruba wise pass una.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by SarkinYarki: 9:47pm On Oct 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
But we don't use dollars in Nigeria, why are they quoting the figures in dollars

Face the crux of the matter and stop talking about what currency or not they used
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 14, 2021
Theunbothered:

This why we say Buhari supporters are illiterates. The Tribunal can claim you owe any arbitrary amount in taxes and demand you deposit 50% of that amount before they hear your case.

It is written right there in the text.

It is the Tribunal that will determine the amount whether it is true or not, whether it is many times the amount you have in your account they don't care.

What is in the tat rule is different from what you quoted from the FAKENEWS media.

The tribunal can not claim you own any arbitrary amount in taxes, this job is not the tribunal job but firs.

According to the tat rule, taxpayers are to pay 50% of any disputed amount into a designated account of the TAT as security for prosecuting an appeal, prior to commencement of appeals.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by bitbillionaire: 9:49pm On Oct 14, 2021
Where are human right activists when you need them? This is a cause worth fighting for till justice is done.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Ayomi90: 9:49pm On Oct 14, 2021
humilitypays:
Take it from me, this very killer Tax law came from The VP, Prof Osinbajo because President Buhari is not learned and sound enough to make this kind of dangerous tax law.

Osinbajo maybe brilliant academically, believe me, he wont make a good President as far as Nigeria is concerned
Nobody can make a good president in Nigeria, the country is bleeped already and can't be repaired.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by barragan: 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2021
I understand that this new law is potentially dangerous but please that illustration is unreasonable, how much cash flow will a $50m coy generate for a tax body to say they owe $100m in unpaid taxes? Haba. Where will that ever happen? That scenario was only painted for effect it is quite an unrealistic one.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Theunbothered: 10:14pm On Oct 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

What is in the tat rule is different from what you quoted from the FAKENEWS media.

The tribunal can not claim you own any arbitrary amount in taxes, this job is not the tribunal job but firs.

According to the tat rule, taxpayers are to pay 50% of any disputed amount into a designated account of the TAT as security for prosecuting an appeal, prior to commencement of appeals.

This is quote of the actual law before you call it fake news

4. Mandatory payment of 50% of tax assessed
[Order 3 Rule 6]

For appeal against the service or relevant tax authority under rule one and two of this order the aggrieved person shall -

(a) Pay 50% of the disputed amount into designated account by the Tribunal before hearing as security for prosecuting the appeal

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by baralatie(m): 10:16pm On Oct 14, 2021
barragan:
I understand that this new law is potentially dangerous but please that illustration is unreasonable, how much cash flow will a $50m coy generate for a tax body to say they owe $100m in unpaid taxes? Haba. Where will that ever happen? That scenario was only painted for effect it is quite an unrealistic one.
For example the case between firs and multichoice Nigeria!

Remember the insane arbitrary tax claim firs alleged was owed by multichoice

2 Likes

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Foolishbuhari: 10:17pm On Oct 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Tell us the law that says that, you are suppose to drop 50% of the amount billed before you the tribunal can listen to your case.

Did you read the article or you're being intentionally foolish on my mentions? If you have comprehension issues or can't read, may I suggest you take a breather from Buhari's ass? Perhaps you may see clearly after.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Foolishbuhari: 10:26pm On Oct 14, 2021
barragan:

Maybe unrealistic but this is Nigeria where a self-contained apartment is given ₦30k as estimated light bill. A house without even AC or pressing iron. This is a country where customs can arbitrarily re-evaluate the worth of your goods and slam anything they like on it as duty. Happened recently to a guy who bought gold-plated jewelry from China, worth ₦40k. Customs re-evaluated the cost and slammed ₦400k on the item as duty.

It's the lawlessness and abuse that can accompany that law we are mostly speaking against because we know it will be abused! With this law, the tax body can slam any arbitrary bill on you as tax and expect you to pay 50% of the amount first before coming to the table to hear your appeal. It's like being the accuser and judge of your own case. Don't also forget politics Bro! What better way to shut down a dissent's voice than over taxing his business to kill it?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Foolishbuhari: 10:34pm On Oct 14, 2021
baralatie:

For example the case between firs and multichoice Nigeria!

Remember the insane arbitrary tax claim firs alleged was owed by multichoice

Tell him! Imagine levying ₦3 trillion as tax on the company, then expecting the company to pay a deposit of 50% about ₦1.5 trillion in escrow, before the tribunal can hear them. It's an illegality that must not stand!

These buhari fools don't know this man is killing businesses and people are running away or shutting down!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by baralatie(m): 10:34pm On Oct 14, 2021
Foolishbuhari:

Maybe unrealistic but this is Nigeria where a self-contained apartment is given ₦30k as estimated light bill. A house without even AC or pressing iron. This is a country where customs can arbitrarily re-evaluate the worth of your goods and slam anything they like on it as duty. Happened recently to a guy who bought gold-plated jewelry from China, worth ₦40k. Customs re-evaluated the cost and slammed ₦400k on the item as duty.

It's the lawlessness and abuse that can accompany that law we are mostly speaking against because we know it will be abused! With this law, the tax body can slam any arbitrary bill on you as tax and expect you to pay 50% of the amount first before coming to the table to hear your appeal. It's like being the accuser and judge of your own case. Don't also forget politics Bro! What better way to shut down a dissent's voice than over taxing his business to kill it?
Exactly!
The worst is the same firs will go to the fg and with bold face say the have no or little revenue because "tied up litigation that the fg cannot trace"

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by tamdun: 10:35pm On Oct 14, 2021
humilitypays:
Take it from me, this very killer Tax law came from The VP, Prof Osinbajo because President Buhari is not learned and sound enough to make this kind of dangerous tax law.

Osinbajo maybe brilliant academically, believe me, he wont make a good President as far as Nigeria is concerned
See as this one just conclude like say him dey there when osinbajo dey make d decision
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by omojeesu(m): 10:36pm On Oct 14, 2021
kennethfranc:
My fellow JAPA-nese may God grant our request

OMOFE-JAPA look b4 you leap sha!

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by baralatie(m): 10:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
tamdun:

See as this one just conclude like say him dey there when osinbajo dey make d decision
VP osinbajo is the head of the econic team under buhari
There is no way a legal imprint would be made that the VP would be unaware!
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 14, 2021
I m not the Japa type but this article is giving me a rethink. Can't this be challenged in court?

Let God arise and wicked politicians be scattered.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by berryPee(m): 10:50pm On Oct 14, 2021
Amen like thunder!!!!
kennethfranc:
My fellow JAPA-nese may God grant our request
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Switch07(m): 10:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
PENNYSWAP:
The funniest thing is , peoples still call buhari darling daddy , people wey dey buy gas 1kg 650

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I wanted to sell one of my old fvcked up cars to make space parking space , a car that people was pricing me before 650k , my mechanic said make I no sell am less than 1.7m say cars Dom costly ....
He even brought a buyer begging me for 1.2m I was laughing ...

You see this country , it’s so fvcked up

1kg is 800 now
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by drealcivilceno(m): 10:57pm On Oct 14, 2021
Buhari is an Executive... To execute what ever is given... UNA DEY SHOUT BUHARI... Everything Buhari, You guys for the country dey off me!
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by temielects(m): 10:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
Makib2020:
Make everybody just gettaut grin grin
plus including the OP sef grin
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by FakeUnity: 11:07pm On Oct 14, 2021
flokii:
Madam Adeosun would have faired better as Finance Minister if not for envy and hate from some quarters.

Naira has crashed yet they kept mute on Emefiele because he is their brother, but they go about writing nonsense and blackmailing people from other ethnicities over unreasonable things.

yoruba man and diversionary tactic. They will tell you that fulani run DSS is actually dominates by Ibo because an Ibo man peter afunaya is their spokesperson. grin grin

yorubas can call the Devil himself God just to have a bite at an apple. No morals, no conscience, total propaganda, childish emotives and tantrums. Tufia!
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by kennethfranc(m): 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2021
omojeesu:

OMOFE-JAPA look b4 you leap sha!
Oluwa dey involved bro
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by GsNigeriaTech(m): 11:23pm On Oct 14, 2021
humilitypays:

This shows your lack of common sense, since when did the vice-president start becoming responsible for making laws in Nigerian? Thinking must be hard for you

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by chaloskyx: 11:24pm On Oct 14, 2021
ONE NIGERIANS HOPE YOUR COUNTRY IS REPPING YOU WELL KEEPS DISHING OUT ONE NEW POLICY OR THE NEXT TO MAKE YOUR LIVES BETTER WELL LETS SEE HOW LONG THIS YOUR MARRIAGE GO LAST
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by Blackdisciple(m): 11:36pm On Oct 14, 2021
expertman:
Why is this government looking for a way to suffer the masses and collect almost all the proceed from our daily hustle?

This government wicked oooo

That's just the only thing they know best...
Sufferings
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by comodo: 11:51pm On Oct 14, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

You think, does it make sense.

Where in this world, do you drop 50% of a claim before they hear your case, legally, it does not make sense.

The writers of the articles are misleading people
Be like u dey come back from moon. Nigeria is a different country from the rest of the world. Here we say short knicker. Bending corner. Extreme end. Etc. Even our legal documents no dey legal. Enter courtroom, you go carry hand for head dey come out.
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:52pm On Oct 14, 2021
expertman:
Why is this government looking for a way to suffer the masses and collect almost all the proceed from our daily hustle?

This government wicked oooo
You go put Aboki for power. Wetin you expect?
Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by zanshi: 12:35am On Oct 15, 2021
Foolishbuhari:

It's the issue of estimated taxation.

I could remeber when i went to go get fuel in Ogun state and some Tax officials came harrasing a fruit seller that she owes this much tax, i further challenged them by aksing if they knew how much they made before giving her estimated tax telling her she owes this or that. They taught i was some uneducated riff raff but when i challenged them further, they were embarassed.

1 Like

Re: Tax Appeal Tribunal Could Kill Your Business In 6 Months by BreakingNews21: 12:47am On Oct 15, 2021
NL mumus, believe any unsubstantiated fancy, twisted, financial English. Gullible AF.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El-Rufai, Oshiomole, Mattawale & Lalong Meets With Tinubu In Abuja / Sunday Asefon: NANS President Is On His Own, June 12 Protest Holds - Students / Buruji Kashamu And His 6-Year-Old Granddaughter At His 59th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.