Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,768 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Preserving Our Cultural Heritage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preserving Our Cultural Heritage (886 Views)

Cultural Mass In A Catholic Church In Abuja (Photos) / Bishop Kukah Joins Cultural Dance Troupe In His Home Town (Video) / Preserving Our Cultural Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2021
PRESERVING OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE

Exodus 1:8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.

The new Pharoah didn't knew about Joseph, why? Because the story of how Joseph saved Egypt and the rest of the world was not passed on to his generation. It was lost.

In the west Africa country of Nigeria for example, many of our cultural heritage are lost, why? Because the forthcoming generation are not being taught. Many can't even speak their local dialects, talk more of preparing their local dishes.

I was amused when I heard a Parent telling her 20 years old son to go and learn their local dialect. I thought, why didn't you teach him when he was younger, it would have been easier.

Now God wants us to preserve the heavenly culture and pass it on to the next generation. If we want our Children to be distinguished and morally upright, then it is our duty to pass on these virtues to them.
Genesis 18:19, Deut 11:19

:8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.

The new Pharoah didn't knew about Joseph, why? Because the story of how Joseph saved Egypt and the rest of the world was not passed on to his generation. It was lost.

In the west Africa country of Nigeria for example, many of our cultural heritage are lost, why? Because the forthcoming generation are not being taught. Many can't even speak their local dialects, talk more of preparing their local dishes.

I was amused when I heard a Parent telling her 20 years old son to go and learn their local dialect. I thought, why didn't you teach him when he was younger, it would have been easier.

Now God wants us to preserve the heavenly culture and pass it on to the next generation. If we want our Children to be distinguished and morally upright, then it is our duty to pass on these virtues to them.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by elated177: 11:40am On Oct 15, 2021
Dangerousboy:

What is this "heavenly culture"?
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 1:31pm On Oct 15, 2021
elated177:

What is this "heavenly culture"?
Firstly, what is culture? It is the way a group of people live their lives in a particular geographic location.

Heaven is a geographic location, so it's inhabitants will have a particular way of life. There is heavenly food, heavenly Music, heavenly clothes, and heavenly languages.

And this is how they behave

Galatians 5:22-23.the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by elated177: 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2021
Dangerousboy:
Firstly, what is culture? It is the way a group of people live their lives in a particular geographic location.

Heaven is a geographic location, so it's inhabitants will have a particular way of life. There is heavenly food, heavenly Music, heavenly clothes, and heavenly languages.

And this is how they behave

Galatians 5:22-23.the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Heavenly music? Have you heard it before?

The portion in bold, how do you express and transmit these virtues: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, faith, meekness, temperance?

How do you teach your children the virtues mentioned above?
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Kobojunkie: 2:41am On Oct 16, 2021
Dangerousboy:

God wants us to preserve what you call "heavenly culture" but you conveniently leave out the specifics of what exactly it is you refer to as heavenly culture so what exactly is the meaning of this writeup here? undecided

As for what we are meant to teach the world, even our children, it is nothing other than the Gospel of the Kingdom of God , the very same New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God which Jesus Christ, the embodiment of the agreement and the King Himself gave to us. That Is all we are commanded to teach to those who are in the world. undecided
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Mleeperbother: 7:36am On Oct 16, 2021
Dangerousboy:

As christians your way of life (culture) should be that of christ. Your father's culture should come last.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by SSIPON(m): 7:41am On Oct 16, 2021
Dangerousboy:
[b]PRESERVING OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE

Oga, if you actually cared about culture, you wouldn't have accepted Christianity in the first place.
Christianity originated from the middle east and it's alien to Africa.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by MRSAWEDOFF: 9:02am On Oct 16, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGeWAOklF-E

Outsiders have written many books and essays about Igbo and African religions.

A number of inaccurate and disparaging statements have been made in these publications. which has influenced many Igbo and Africans to adopt the same incorrect terminology and have the same beliefs.

Let us correct some of these inaccuracies.

African or Igbo religion is incorrectly referred to be ancestor worship.

This is incorrect because Africans do not revere their ancestors who have passed away.

It is true that long-dead relatives are said to live on and exhibit interest in their living relatives.

These families may demonstrate their faith by erecting shrines to the departed and leaving food or drink there or on their graves, as well as mentioning them in their prayers.

Also, once in a while, Igbo culture permits the celebration of Masquerade or mmanwu festivals, just like the one that happened in this video which took place in Agbgudu, Udi, Enugu state.

These expressions of reverence for the deceased, however, do not imply that they are being worshipped; rather, they demonstrate people's view that the departed of up to four or five generations should not be forgotten.

Acts of worship (such as sacrifices and prayers) are only a part of the African/Igbo religion.

A little element of a larger religious system cannot be considered whole.

Thus, it is incorrect to refer to the African/Igbo religion as "ancestor worship."
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Kobojunkie: 11:07am On Oct 16, 2021
Mleeperbother:
As christians your way of life (culture) should be that of christ. Your father's culture should come last.
I firmly believe we are in fact called to abandon culture which includes the traditions of men, rules that many attimes attempt to define for men what is good and acceptable and what is not. It is impossible to follow after such rules and follow Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 9:31am On Oct 17, 2021
SSIPON:

Oga, if you actually cared about culture, you wouldn't have accepted Christianity in the first place.
Christianity originated from the middle east and it's alien to Africa.
first of all Christianity is not the culture of the middle east. Christianity is a culture because it is life. The meaning of Christianity is Like Christ. And this culture is heavenly and not of this world. Now that won't stop me from upholding my local cultural heritage esp the good one's.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 9:33am On Oct 17, 2021
Mleeperbother:

that's true. We should shun cultural practices that are not inline with the truth of God's word.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Kobojunkie: 12:43pm On Oct 17, 2021
Dangerousboy:
that's true. We should shun cultural practices that are not inline with the truth of God's word.
And how do decide which are in line with the Truth of God and which are not without quickly becoming a hypocrite for it? undecided
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 6:28am On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
And how do decide which are in line with the Truth of God and which are not without quickly becoming a hypocrite for it? undecided
funny, Very funny grin
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Oct 20, 2021
Dangerousboy:
funny, Very funny grin
Again.... And how do decide which cultural/traditional practices are in line with the Truth of God and which are not without quickly becoming a hypocrite for it? undecided
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 8:02pm On Oct 20, 2021
[quote author=Kobojunkie post=106909736] Again.... And how do decide which cultural/traditional practices are in line with the Truth of God and which are not without quickly becoming a hypocrite for it? undecided[p/quote] i think you're just trying to start an argument.
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
Dangerousboy:

i think you're just trying to start an argument.
On the contrary, I am trying to get you to realize that Jesus Christ was not being foolish when in Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 and Mark 7 vs 1 - 23 he required that you abandon all doctrines and traditions of men in order to embrace the Truth of God, Jesus Christ. undecided

You cannot serve two masters... the cultures and traditions of men, and Jesus Christ, at the same time. It is foolishness to attempt both, and this is according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Preserving Our Cultural Heritage by Dangerousboy(m): 8:34am On Oct 23, 2021
Praise God

(1) (Reply)

Islamophobia / Jesus' Disciples Accused Of Poor Eating Hygiene / Christians: Be Careful... How I Was Almost Initiated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.