Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? (19933 Views)

Authorized Calculators For The 2019 CFA Exams / Smash CFA Exams In 4 Months, At The Comfort Of Your Home! / Demolition: Fresh FM Staff Weeps "How Will I Take Care Of My Family Now?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
Cap!!! grin

eazzzy1:

SMH this is google bullshit, I live and work in Canada, I was doing the ACCA before I left Nigeria. The first person who told me it was a waste of time was my lecturer. ACCA and ICAN has equal levels in Canada, being that you have to convert them to CPA. No employer in Canada gives a shit about ACCA.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Taiwolee1: 2:14pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:
I just passed CFA level II grin grin. CFA is valuable and recognized in Canada. MBA is better for getting a job, CFA is cheaper, CFA is more difficult.

CFA is good if you already have a job in the industry, If you are looking at getting in, do MBA, most firms recruit directly from MBA programs. If you choose to go the MBA route, get it from a reputable institution MBA is different from MBA.

The knowledge you gain from CFA is priceless, I started CFA purely for the knowledge. After passing level 2, I may just start looking to get a job in Finance.

Go to noun nd get ur MBA oga
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 2:14pm On Oct 16, 2021
Lol. Oni iro oshi!

ThierryJay:

Guy go and sleep. This is like going back and forth with a kindergarten pupil.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2021
Taiwolee1:

Go to noun nd get ur MBA oga

Pronoun ni cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Validated: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
As an experienced insider at global and international playing field, I will advise you to focus on ACCA, not because it is more valuable than CFA, but because your brain needs to be highly charged to pass CFA. You could become frustrated in level 2 and 3. On job opportunities, you are sought after with CFA than ACCA. Simple Demand and supply law.
However, if you have such funds for CFA, why not head to LBS for MBA? More prestigious in Nigeria and you can get WES evaluated equivalence in US and Canada. Goodluck.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Crochet: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Go for MBA or an IT related course.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
Chijeep:
Oya Books and Bookers over to you...
As for me, anything apart from Business in Nigeria is a long journey to me
If you ever plan on expanding, you’d need a financial analyst cheesy
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by OvaSabi1(f): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:

Hi Oversabi, I don’t know how this pm thing works. I see the notification that you want to send me a pm, I just don’t know where to see the message. Kindly quote me on an inactive thread with your message. Thanks.

How do you get fx for CFA exam fees? Hopefully it isn't parallel rate? Is it?

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
shopwiser:
If you can afford it pls write it ..... I'm finding means towards writing SOA exams...
Please which ones is SOA
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 2:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
ThierryJay:

Guy go and sleep. This is like going back and forth with a kindergarten pupil.

In fact ICAN is better than CFA since it's also more well-rounded in the field of accounting.

At this point I think the man is just bored and want to argue, he doesn’t even know the difference between accounting and finance or what an accountant does vs what someone in finance does. I will educate him but he doesn’t look like someone willing to learn.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
RoyalBoutique:
What is the meaning of CFA?
Chartered Financial Analyst

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Taiwolee1: 2:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:

Pronoun ni cheesy

What is the distinct between NOUN and Unilag?
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
yorke1:
CFA is recognized outside the shore of this country.
I heard so but I hear that should I go to places like Canada, I’d still take another one or something
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
OvaSabi1:

How do you get fx for CFA exam fees? Hopefully it isn't parallel rate? Is it?

I am based in Canada. I don’t have the fx issue.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Bonaventura:
Please do. Depending on your career path, it's even better than Masters degree.

But be very much informed that it will cost you money and its very very hard to pass and progress to another level.

Best of luck

Bruv, I almost choked on hearing the amount but it’s needed to climb the career ladder
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Voiceofthestree: 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Johnnoah1st:
10 years old Facebook account available for sale

Nigga fb or foreign?
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
aziak2012:

The certification is cool and worth it for a lot of reasons. I can help you with level 1 and 2 materials as well as level 3 when am done with the exam by next month. If you want more info hit me on 08055234062. Have a blessed day.

How much do you sell, put it out here
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ufotty2001: 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Instead of you to use the money travel abroad and start a better life .. do you think that when you finish CFA company in Nigeria will be able to pay you..
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by TheRealestGuy(m): 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
An MBA gives you much more advantage as it helps you become a well rounded business person.

If you can get an MBA degree from a UK/US/Canadian University, it will serve you much more imo.

CFA just restricts your options which I believe isn't really good, especially since it comes with a huge financial and emotional cost.

So yea. An MBA is what I'd advise you to go for.

All the best.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Validated: 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:

SMH this is google bullshit, I live and work in Canada, I was doing the ACCA before I left Nigeria. The first person who told me it was a waste of time was my lecturer. ACCA and ICAN has equal levels in Canada, being that you have to convert them to CPA. No employer in Canada gives a shit about ACCA.
You are totally wrong. ICAN is evaluted as equivalent to Higher Diploma in Canada, quote me. I have not checked recently, but as far back as 2018, ACCA, ACMA were admitted to CPA. Check link https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/member-of-accounting-body-outside-canada
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ThierryJay: 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:

At this point I think the man is just bored and want to argue, he doesn’t even know the difference between accounting and finance or what an accountant does vs what someone in finance does. I will educate him but he doesn’t look like someone willing to learn.

I don't even think he's ever worked in finance sector before else he'd know that he's seriously casting himself in public.

The dimwit doesnt even know that accounting is a subset of finance. Saying accounting is broader than finance grin
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
SamuelAnyawu:
Certified Financial Analyst.

Are you already in the Financial/ Investment/ Management Company?

Even ACA I’m scared of writing it.

I had to change my change my job career just to avoid ACA, ACCA and CFA cool
I’m in a management company and already have over 4000 work hours . The only fear I have is I’m moving from legal to finance which has always been a dream so I’m scared but not scared, as far as the certificate would give me my money’s worth back…I don’t mind .
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by The5DME(m): 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
mysticgal:

How much do you sell, put it out here
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
Iamdipson:
CFA has less than 25% pass rate and it's far more difficult and expensive than ICAN and other professional courses. Think am well oo and get ready to study hard.

Yea, I heard so too but I don’t see impossibilities.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2021
eazzzy1:
I just passed CFA level II grin grin. CFA is valuable and recognized in Canada. MBA is better for getting a job, CFA is cheaper, CFA is more difficult.

CFA is good if you already have a job in the industry, If you are looking at getting in, do MBA, most firms recruit directly from MBA programs. If you choose to go the MBA route, get it from a reputable institution MBA is different from MBA.

The knowledge you gain from CFA is priceless, I started CFA purely for the knowledge. After passing level 2, I may just start looking to get a job in Finance.

I hope you don’t mind, uhm, where did you write your exams at. Accra or where and what materials did you use
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2021
slimfit2:
Relevance, yes, in 9ja and outside.
Simple rule, to become a company CFO consider Ican/Acca, to become CIO, consider CFA.
Also, some job will require Ican/Acca whilst only req applicant to have passed only cfa level 1.
But oh boy, besides the money, a lot in your life will change if you so choose this "jealous exam", you got to put in the time and efforts. Cheers.

It’s really a jealous exam but I’m just willing to try.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
kingemaker:
It's worth it, but you need to ensure you're currently doing something along that career path. Certifications without experience isn't it at all
I am actually in a management company
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Don't waste your time and money. Go for an I.T cert instead.

Not everyone is IT inclined, every IT company needs a financial and buisness personnel

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
SIRTee15:
Is that not the exam for investment bankers?
The exam na die, I'm not even sure they have a centre in nigeria. It's also very expensive.
It's worth it provided u have the time and strength. It takes an average 4 yrs to complete the 3 level of exams.
Pls chop well b4 u commence the program. All the best.

Omo, I need it honestly

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
unclehp:
Please do... CFA is the most valued certification for a career path in Finance and Investment... It's better and classier than ICAN and ACCA

I’m not looking for classy honestly, just looking for a certification that puts me atop the ladder

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2021
Validated:

You are totally wrong. ICAN is evaluted as equivalent to Higher Diploma in Canada, quote me. I have not checked recently, but as far back as 2018, ACCA, ACMA were admitted to CPA. Check link https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/member-of-accounting-body-outside-canada

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a-cpa/international-credential-recognition/international-recognition-agreements/international-members-seeking-canadian-cpa

This is a list of recognized accounting body by CPA Canada. Neither ICAN nor ACCA are recognized. People with these certificates may be exempted from taking the prep courses but still have to take the CPA Pep exams to become a licensed in Canada.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by mysticgal(f): 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
tasceige:

Trying to learn from your post, please what do you mean with "transferrable cert"
Some certificates stay with you or stay back in Nigeria should you migrate outside Nigeria. So as a professional it’s pertinent to get certification that is globally recognized and one you can use outside Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

80% Of Employees In Banks Are Casual Workers: ASSBIFI / My Brother Was Sacked And Duped By A Company / Man Shares Hilarious Encounter With A Keke Driver In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.