Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,616 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun (23304 Views)

Border Closure: Smugglers Create 100 Illegal Routes To Beat Customs In The North / Photos Of Stew, Food Imported From China Seized By Customs In Nigeria / Photos Of The Exotic Cars Impounded By Customs In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 17, 2021
heendrix:

Sunday2021 is this not a sensible human who intelligently rolled out point to make everyone here learn and that includes you, Little wonder you're as senseless as ur forefathers

Thanks for the insult

In return, may God bless you and your extended and immediate family.

I honestly thought that you had an engaging and intellectual mindset that was interested in discussion and exchange of ideas. I'm sad to find out that i was wrong.

Bye. Do have a good and prosperous day anyway.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Northanstar: 9:21am On Oct 17, 2021
Only in the south you hear customs shooting and kill innocent nigerians in the name of smuggling but can hardly hear of it in the Northern borders. Is smuggling official in the the North? Free movement of cattles, rice, beans etc including humans.
Our southern leaders know of all these yet they keep quiet because of money the dash them. One day judgement will come either by man as a leader or definitely by God.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Northanstar: 9:22am On Oct 17, 2021
Only in the south you hear customs shooting and kill innocent nigerians in the name of smuggling but can hardly hear of it in the Northern borders. Is smuggling official in the the North? Free movement of[color=#990000][/color] cattles, rice, beans etc including humans.
Our southern leaders know of all these yet they keep quiet because of money the dash them. One day judgement will come either by man as a leader or definitely by God.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 17, 2021
Where is the rice Bihari claimed is being grown in Nigeria. If not for this smugglers many people would have died of hunger. Life has become very cheap under this WICKED people.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by GetMeRight: 9:59am On Oct 17, 2021
heendrix:
[s] Times are hard and there's obvious recession n hunger in the land [/s] and those asking you to curtail rice smuggling are somewhere in a better condition giving no two fvcks bout you or ur lives and instead applying wisdom and sense to make situations better, ur rather making it hard and even taking ur duty too far and they've now resolve to using arms
in desperation.

[s] no pity's given over here to the dead customs [/s]

It is indeed a pity for the people parents who gave birth to you. Those custom officers were simply doing their job. And it is people like who would quickly open your wide mouth that Nigeria is not working, yet you support criminality.

You actually think and believe that smuggling is as a result of "hard times, recession and hunger"? You need to think again! Smugglers always try to smuggle in any item that is prohibited from Nigeria to USA to China just to make profits huge profits.

Did you read part where the report said that smugglers opened fire first on the officers? Do you know how many innocent people have been killed by those smugglers, not just custom officers?
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by jamiuazeez(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2021
NCs smuggling rice more than even so called smuggler themslf.who is fooling who?
What a pity, these people loss their lives simply bcoz of Rice...
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by GetMeRight: 10:03am On Oct 17, 2021
Northanstar:
[s] Only in the south you hear customs shooting and kill innocent nigerians in the name of smuggling but can hardly hear of it in the Northern borders. Is smuggling official in the the North? Free movement of cattles, rice, beans etc including humans. [/s]

When will you guys stop all these lies? Less than two months ago, custom officers were chasing rice smugglers in one of the northern states and their vehicle rammed into the market crowd and killed multiple people.
Enforcement of ban on some items is as effective in the North as in the south.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Eraddray(m): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:
Nothing good can come out of Ogun state... Shior
Simply because you are mad
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by heendrix(m): 10:45am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Thanks for the insult

In return, may God bless you and your extended and immediate family.

I honestly thought that you had an engaging and intellectual mindset that was interested in discussion and exchange of ideas. I'm sad to find out that i was wrong.

Bye. Do have a good and prosperous day anyway.

No brotherly you got me all wrong in that comment, I wasn't referring to you. I was actually talking to that Sunday guy that I mentioned first (if you'll kindly read it again) who reply my comment on the thread with insult, so I'm calling him out and what I basically said there was for him to learn on how intelligent you gave ur point without insulting me in which I learnt something and I'm sure he'll learn to. in a nutshell I was commending the fact that you reply my nasty comment in a more matured way and also taught me.

so sorry if you felt the message was directed to you (it's really wasn't) wishing you a blissful week ahead to and happy Sunday.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Mrpojj(m): 10:46am On Oct 17, 2021
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 17, 2021
heendrix:

No brotherly you got me all wrong in that comment, I wasn't referring to you. I was actually talking to that Sunday guy that I mentioned first (if you'll kindly read it again) who reply my comment on the thread with insult, so I'm calling him out and what I basically said there was for him to learn on how intelligent you gave ur point without insulting me in which I learnt something and I'm sure he'll learn to. in a nutshell I was commending the fact that you reply my nasty comment in a more matured way and also taught me.

so sorry if you felt the message was directed to you (it's really wasn't) wishing you a blissful week ahead to and happy Sunday.

No problem. Thanks

God bless
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by AlexB300: 10:57am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

The problem with your ideology is that if the government allows a free for all at the border , we would

1.Have our local rice industry damaged....job lossses result.

2.Lose more forex...bad news for our economy.

There shouldun't be a total shutdown of imports...but smuggling should not be allowed.
wise man
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Felaak47(m): 11:38am On Oct 17, 2021
Yeye set of people as if they don't eat foreign rice in their various houses
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by 15ssDRIVE(m): 1:15pm On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:

The only western state, With 3 presidos. Namely : OBJ/ Shonekan / Abiola
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by legba1(m): 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:

Biko, where are you from... I. D. I. O. T like you are trashing a whole state thatbhad produced the likes if WOLE SOYINKA, MKO, OBJ. Pls tel me where you are from. I can actually quess anyway..
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Biggcake: 2:04pm On Oct 17, 2021
oluwaseunamos33:
If the custom officer's collected the bribe, we will condem them for collecting bribe, now as they refused to collect, it turned to something else. RIP to the officers

The bribe was not huge enough...
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Roma10: 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2021
chatinent:
How person fit escape Nigeria?
Use your village border enter the next country you're already out of Nigeria
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

Years! Is it up to a decade?
so rice production and maximisation in investment takes a century to materialise. We just have to stop fooling ourselves.

You can't continue to starve your people Cos u want a few farmers from the north to rip bountifully. Since Innoson started his car assemblage in Nigeria has your FG ever bought a car from Innoson? What happens to local patronage? I can bet my balls dat if Innoson was to be a northern business, the govt would have mandated all MDAs to buy their operational car from Innoson.

A country whr minimum wage is 30,000, and bag of rice 32k, then such govt has failed woefully
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2021
franciskaine:
so rice production and maximisation in investment takes a century to materialise. We just have to stop fooling ourselves.

You can't continue to starve your people Cos u want a few farmers from the north to rip bountifully. Since Innoson started his car assemblage in Nigeria has your FG ever bought a car from Innoson? What happens to local patronage? I can bet my balls dat if Innoson was to be a northern business, the govt would have mandated all MDAs to buy their operational car from Innoson.

A country whr minimum wage is 30,000, and bag of rice 32k, then such govt has failed woefully

Is rice farming a northern business now. What happens to the farms in Anambra, Ogun, Ebonyi and that of Lagos
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Daboomb: 5:14pm On Oct 17, 2021
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 17, 2021
Daboomb:

There are Natural Swamps in the SS and South West, why is the Nigerian Govt not encouraging the production of Rice in the South?

Ofcourse, Buhari wants the South to depend on the North for Food, so that they can use it to suffer them, when push becomes shove, as happend last year when Northerners decided to Blockade food transportation to the South, unless they prmit thier lands to be taken by force (RUGA) !

- Why is a bag Rice #32,500? GREED and EXPLOITATION
- Who is making these Killer-Profits? RICE FARMERS IN KANO AND THE WHOLE NORTH
- Who is suffering the high Cost? CONSUMERS IN SOUTHERN NIGERIA
- Why is t

Well, on a state by state basis, the largest rice producers in the country are

Kebbi
Benue
Ebonyi
Ekiti
Jigawa
Kaduna
Kano
Ogun
Niger
Cross River

29 states are involved in rice production in Nigeria. We produce 8MILLION tonnes of rice annually. That may seem a lot, but not as much as China, and India and even thailand. (17 million metric tonnes)

More on rice production in Nigeria here (Medium)

Also, as to why Southern states don't produce more rice...ask their governors. In fairness , the governors of states like Kebbi, and Ogun have really been interested in rice production. Lagos too is also another state where the state government too is interested in improving rice production as well.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Daboomb: 5:28pm On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Yeah

Brazil and Thailand have enough of the swampy region needed to produce rice in large quantity.

Nigeria? One of our rice producing areas in Kano was created by building a dam which created the swampy region needed artificially.

In the good old days we didn't eat rice as much as we do now.

There are Natural Swamps in the SS and South West, why is the Nigerian Govt not encouraging the production of Rice in the South?

Ofcourse, Buhari wants the South to depend on the North for Food, so that they can use it to suffer them, when push becomes shove, as happened last year when Northerners decided to Blockade food transportation to the South, unless they permit thier lands to be taken by force (RUGA) !

- Why is the Fed Govt not stepping-in to check-mate this EXPLOITATION? Because it benefits the Northerner and impoverishes the Southerners.
- Who are those destroying Southern farmers Crops? THE SAME NORTHERNERS, BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT THE SOUTH TO BE FOOD INDEPENDENT
- Who are those Staff at the Customs weaponizing this Food Shortages in Southern Nigeria? - THEY ARE NORTHERNERS THAT BUHARI POSTED TO HEAD THE CUSTOMSIN SOUTHERN AREAS
- Why are Customs so focused on Smuggling in the South, while the Borders are Open in the North? - ITS ALL PART OF BUHARI'S FULANI PLAN TO STRANGULATE SOUTHERN NIGERIANS

Southerners need to sit back and think critically.
If you think things are just happening by coincidence or these are just conspiracy theories, then you cant be more mistaken.
Starvation is a veritable tool of war
!

Ask yourself: How come the roads in the South have been left undone for the better part of the 8yrs of Buhari's administration while all the Roads in the North, even as far as a neighbouring country (including rail) have been completed?
How come all of a sudden, the Major Roads in the South, especially places like Lagos are being closed "for repair" all at the same time, causing economic hardship and stagnation?
To repair Roads is good but to use it as a weapon of of economic ruin (in the manner in which it is being executed, closing most roads at the same time, instead of spreading it out as done in the North), is UNACCEPTABLE and we know that it is a deliberate effort to cripple business in the South.

All the BMC's can rant on my post but very soon, the Truth will hit all of you in the face and it will be too late by then. undecided undecided
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 17, 2021
Daboomb:

Ofcourse, Buhari wants the South to depend on the North for Food, so that they can use it to suffer them, when push becomes shove, as happened last year when Northerners decided to Blockade food transportation to the South, unless they permit thier lands to be taken by force (RUGA) !

- Why is the Fed Govt not stepping-in to check-mate this EXPLOITATION? Because it benefits the Northerner and impoverishes the Southerners.
- Who are those Staff at the Customs weaponizing this Food Shortages in Southern Nigeria? - THEY ARE NORTHERNERS THAT BUHARI POSTED TO HEAD THE CUSTOMSIN SOUTHERN AREAS
- Why are Customs so focused on Smuggling in the South, while the Borders are Open in the North? - ITS ALL PART OF BUHARI'S FULANI PLAN TO STRANGULATE SOUTHERN NIGERIANS

Southerners need to sit back and think critically.
If you think things are just happening by coincidence or these are just conspiracy theories, then you cant be more mistaken.
Starvation is a veritable tool of war
!

Ask yourself: How come the roads in the South have been left undone for the better part of the 8yrs of Buhari's administration while all the Roads in the North, even as far as a neighbouring country (including rail) have been completed?
How come all of a sudden, the Major Roads in the South, especially places like Lagos are being closed "for repair" all at the same time, causing economic hardship and stagnation?
To repair Roads is good but to use it as a weapon of of economic ruin (in the manner in which it is being executed, closing most roads at the same time, instead of spreading it out as done in the North), is UNACCEPTABLE and we know that it is a deliberate effort to cripple business in the South.

All the BMC's can rant on my post but very soon, the Truth will hit all of you in the face and it will be too late by then. undecided undecided

Have replied to you in my previous post.

But really, state governors too need to do more. As far as I know, the states that have high rice production have had polices in place to promote rice production too.

Like Lagos and Ogun ..for example. Ebonyi state has always been a rice producer from time inmmenorial.

Importation of rice need not stop, but we should not be too reliant on imported rice, because at the end of the day that's forex going to another nation, not staying here.

Modified...

Some details from the Medium post I put up earlier(link here)

Production constraints

In the irrigated rice schemes, production constraints include low nitrogen-use efficiency and iron toxicity, disease and pest pressure (especially birds), and low mechanization. Socioeconomic constraints include a lack of involvement of farmers in the planning and implementation of irrigation schemes, lack of access to inputs (including credit), and a loss of labor and an aging farming population because of migration to cities. Rice yield in these schemes is 3.0–3.5 t/ha compared with the potential of 7–9 t/ha.

In the rainfed lowland environment, rice cultivation is characterized by a low yield range of 1.5–3.0 t/ha vis-à-vis a potential of 3.0–6.0 t/ha, caused by suboptimal water management, inadequate weed management, low adoption of modern varieties, low mechanization, pest and disease pressure, and uncertain land tenure.

In the upland environment, rice cultivation is challenged by drought, low adoption of improved varieties, soil acidity and general soil infertility, poor weed control, limited capital investments and labor shortages, and low mechanization. Yields range from 1.0 to 1.7 t/ha compared with a potential of 2.0–4.0 t/ha.

Farmers and rice value chain actors have difficulty in accessing agro-inputs, particularly quality seed, fertilizer, and credit. Infrastructure development is lagging behind with respect to irrigation facilities, feeder/rural roads, and rice storage and processing capacity. In the past, changes in government policies in the areas of concessions and tariffs have discouraged investors.

In general, the rice value chain is characterized by yields that are far below what would be possible with improved management, improved market information and structure, and sufficient and updated rice-processing capacity
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by olusola200: 5:51pm On Oct 17, 2021
After payment at the boarder , you still want to collect the goods on The way to their destination.

Maybe one of the oga order for bags of Rice for a burial ceremony party

Take it or leave it , it's the officer that will loose and training schooling yet killed by tout with no value for life
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by olusola200: 5:52pm On Oct 17, 2021
After payment at the boarder , you still want to collect the goods on The way to their destination.

Maybe one of the oga order for bags of Rice for a burial ceremony party

Take it or leave it , it's the officer that will loose after training schooling yet killed by tout with no value for life
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Daboomb: 6:55am On Oct 18, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Have replied to you in my previous post.

But really, state governors too need to do more. As far as I know, the states that have high rice production have had polices in place to promote rice production too.

Like Lagos and Ogun ..for example. Ebonyi state has always been a rice producer from time inmmenorial.

You are not being realistic. and honest here
What can Governors do, when AK47 armed Fulani Herdsmen come calling, for a Governor that cannot even Order a battalion or Police Eregiment into action, if the IG in Abuja does not approve first?
Did the President not asked the military to mop up all weapons the farmers were using to defend themselves, yet the Fed Govt cannot defend them?
How do STATES then produce the Rice, when the Farmers cant go to the Farm, less they get raped and killed by Fulani herdsmen?
Even those that manage to sow some Crops, the Herdsmen feed it to their Cows and burn the rest or have yo not seen the Videos?
And since the States cant produce the Rice locally, why Ban the Imports or are people suppose to be eating Grass?

While Importation of food is not encouraged, People MUST EAT when hungry and as long as the food is not available locally, it MUST be imported.
How can a man work for a WHOLE MONTH and his salary cant buy a bag of Rice? shocked shocked
This is what people like you are recommending and that is very sad.

Nigerians have never been impoverished this much, since l am grown up enough to know them.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 18, 2021
Daboomb:

While Importation of food is not encouraged, People MUST EAT when hungry and as long as the food is not available locally, it MUST be imported.
How can a man work for a WHOLE MONTH and his salary cant buy a bag of Rice? shocked shocked
This is what people like you are recommending and that is very sad.

Nigerians have never been impoverished this much, since l am grown up enough to know them.

Like I have said on this thread earlier...I am not opposed to the legitimate importation of rice.

What I am opposed to is smuggling in of rice.

Smuggling is not the same thing as legitimate importation.

I also believe we need to eventually become more self sufficient because we are losing too much forex as it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South African Court Sentences Nigerian To 20 Years For Human Trafficking [pics] / Alaka, Juju Scam Kingpin, Others Arraigned For N250m Fraud, Remanded In Prison / Share Your Bitter Experiences With Nigerian Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.