Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,659 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun (23307 Views)

Border Closure: Smugglers Create 100 Illegal Routes To Beat Customs In The North / Photos Of Stew, Food Imported From China Seized By Customs In Nigeria / Photos Of The Exotic Cars Impounded By Customs In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 17, 2021
palsenator:

1. I have no sympathy for the Buhari administration. I did not vote for them or support them. They are very useless in ruling nigeria.

2. I still stand by what i wrote though. Smuggling is a threat to our economic stability. It is one of the reasons, and by no means is it the only reason, why we don't have enough jobs and why we lose billions in dollars and revenue

3. Grow up.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by AlanSugar(m): 5:36am On Oct 17, 2021
oluwaseunamos33:
If the custom officer's collected the bribe, we will condem them for collecting bribe, now as they refused to collect, it turned to something else. RIP to the officers

LOL. I'm not sure it was outright refusal, I'm forced to believe it wasn't enof or up to what was demanded.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by admus14(m): 5:45am On Oct 17, 2021
chatinent:
How person fit escape Nigeria?
Go and smuggle.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Daboomb: 5:45am On Oct 17, 2021
How come it is always in the South, that all these Govt Agency do their Gra Gra?

I was in Katsina about 16Months ago and Fulanis were importing Trailers of Rice and other Goods, from Niger Republic, in broad day light and Customs is nowhere to be found but come to the South, especially South West, you will see them on the Road, every 100M, they even have the effrontery to come and break people's shop inside the Market and loot their goods, under the pretext that they are looking for smuggled Rice!

Customs has no right to forcefully Open People's shop and l am sure they have never tried such nonsense in the North.
How did the Rice cross the Border, before arriving at Shops inside Markets, were they sleeping then?

To make matters worse, these Northerner-Custom guys just shoot the people living in the Border Communities of the South West, anyhow.
I think it has got to the stage where the Indigenous Commnities are also arming themselves and defending their Lives and livelihood.
All these DOUBLE STANDARDS has to Stop.

When Buhari closed the Border, was Dangotte not exporting and importing through the Northern Borders, via Northern Cameroun or dont we have the pictures?

But all the Business activities in the South West was crippled and destroyed, because it is a Fulani that is the President,

How can a bag of Rice go from #7,000 in 2015 when this Jihadist took Power, to #32,500 as of today in 2021 and you say people should not import the Rice, which is just about #3,000 a Stone throw in Coutonou!
If not sheer manipulation of Prices and Exploitation of Southerners, by Northern RIce Farmers, tell me how any sane person should be selling a bag fo Rice for #32,500?

If we are not producing enough Rice and you claim that is what is raising the Price, then let us import Rice to bridge the gap of shortage, instead of making Northerners milk the Southerners for Rice and other food products.

But Buhari wont budge because he knows it is benefiting the Northerners.

It has got to the point that the Citizens either import food or die of Hunger.
Instead of shooting these Importers, the Govt should grow some sense, let them pay import Duty on the Rice and sell, so the price can come down.
If Customs are shooting the Youths in the SW border towns anyhow and claiming the are Smugglers, well, they can only take as much before they also respond in kind.

Federal Operations Unit (FOU) should go to the Border of Katsina, Adamawa, etc in the North, where Terrorists are smuggling Weapons into Nigeria, to engage in a Shootout, instead of disturbing Rice Smugglers in the South,

ALL LIVES MATTER

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by RPG2020(m): 6:02am On Oct 17, 2021
Ogun shocked
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by siant: 6:09am On Oct 17, 2021
Useless customs.

They keep running after RICE while AK-47, illegal weapon, arms and ammunition are being smuggled to the country on daily basis.

Abi where do bandits in North West, Boko Haram in North East,kidnappers in North Central, herdsmen and unknown gunmen in South get these weapons? Is AK 47 manufactured in Nigeria?
Buhari himself once confirmed that these weapons were entering the country from Libya.

Customs, dss and efccc are one of the govt agencies I detest in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by phorget(m): 6:19am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

The problem with your ideology is that if the government allows a free for all at the border , we would

1.Have our local rice industry damaged....job lossses result.

2.Lose more forex...bad news for our economy.

There shouldun't be a total shutdown of imports...but smuggling should not be allowed.

Wehdone Mr economist.
What local rice industry are you really talking about? Is it the local rice that is so expensive to buy?

5 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 17, 2021
phorget:

Wehdone Mr economist.
What local rice industry are you really talking about? Is it the local rice that is so expensive to buy?

So we should destroy our local rice industry the same way we destroyed our textile indistry by allowing unrestrained smuggling of rice?

And lose jobs and money in the process?

Right
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by EndBuhariNow(m): 6:22am On Oct 17, 2021
Custom please allow afonjas to smuggle their skull mining businesses in peace [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] tongue
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by phorget(m): 6:30am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

So we should destroy our local rice industry the same way we destroyed our textile indistry by allowing unrestrained smuggling of rice?

And lose jobs and money in the process?

Right

Then we would have to shot down textile importation too I guess. Since the shutting down kindly tell me if your local rice is even affordable for the poor masses and tell me if the people consuming your local rice are doing that with all joy. Is Mr buhari and his cohorts also consuming the beautiful local rice?

I'm not against the encouragement of local productions bro but there are ways of doing that. You don't just shut down things without bringing in a better option. Your local rice is so awful and expensive bro.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by tee4naija(m): 6:34am On Oct 17, 2021
You obviously didn't get the drift. The smugglers were supposed to have been stopped right at the borders. The custom officers at the borders have apparently compromised for the goods to have entered the Nigerian territory. The use of brute force should have been at the borders where near zero civilian casuality would have been recorded.

anorexicmuster

post=106803542:

The problem with your ideology is that if the government allows a free for all at the border , we would

There shouldun't be a total shutdown of imports...but smuggling should not be allowed.

4 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 17, 2021
tee4naija:
You obviously didn't get the drift. The smugglers were supposed to have been stopped right at the borders. The custom officers at the borders have apparently compromised for the goods to have entered the Nigerian territory. The use of brute force should have been at the borders where near zero civilian casuality would have been recorded.

The borders too have large populations and some of the border passes in the midst of settlements

Which is where some smugglers choose to operate.

Also customs in other parts of the world don't just operate at the border per se.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 17, 2021
phorget:

Then we would have to shot down textile importation too I guess. Since the shutting down kindly tell me if your local rice is even affordable for the poor masses and tell me if the people consuming your local rice are doing that with all joy. Is Mr buhari and his cohorts also consuming the beautiful local rice?

I'm not against the encouragement of local productions bro but there are ways of doing that. You don't just shut down things without bringing in a better option. Your local rice is so awful and expensive bro.

Well it isn't the goverment's job to make every thing cheaper for you at the expense of Nigerian jobs.

Americans enjoy a lot of cheap stuff at the expense of having most manufacturing in china. This has the effect of america essentially becoming too dependent on china. Just like us in Nigeria. If we become dependent on imported rice, we would end up becoming dependent on the countries that sell us rice, and these countries are not necessarily acting in our interest.

Plus the rice development did not just start under Buhari. It started in the previous administration . For once, it is a good thing that some programmes are continued.

We cannot just allow unrestrained importation. We lose forex and jobs, and this has knock on effects on our economy making a bad situation worse

Like how we lost our textile industry because smuggled textiles were cheap, and we had to help poor Nigerians. A lot of our textile industry was located in the North. That's a lot of lost jobs, meaning more idle hands, meaning more crisis.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by OhiOfIhima: 6:47am On Oct 17, 2021
bularuz:
Customs don move border come inside town

Very useless set of people
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by raphy(m): 6:50am On Oct 17, 2021
If it was a politician of government official carrying tht smuggle rice or other things u will see as he will be allowed to pass with full speed.this country is rule with curruption everywhere .

From sport to the bank n to the security they all are living the poor to suffer but it won't be better for them aswerugad .

Good morning everyone.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by skybeauty(f): 6:53am On Oct 17, 2021
The smugglers are saints compared to the current terrorist Nigeria customs.

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Born2conquer: 6:57am On Oct 17, 2021
[quote author=palsenator post=106803769][/quote]
Lol, na local rice dem dey chop for North though

Na una south dey always chop Foreign rice
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

The Government have been supporting local rice farmers for years, they should be able to compete by now.

Price of rice skyrocket since the boarder was closed, so rice farmers in Nigeria have make enough money and should be able to compete by now.

3 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

What happens to local production? Are you enabling or killing local farmers?
The Government have been supporting local rice farmers for years, they should be able to compete by now.

Price of rice skyrocket since the boarder was closed, so rice farmers in Nigeria have make enough money and should be able to compete by now.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Years! Is it up to a decade?
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by SALIMAN(m): 7:05am On Oct 17, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:
You need no food nor money right now, what you really need now is ....

Better things has been com8ng out..
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by joyandfaith: 7:06am On Oct 17, 2021
tola1006:
Can't the government engage foreign investors from Thailand, China and USA to come in and bring in rice at an agreed tarriff and quality,then require them to set up local production with tax incentives in a 5-7 years Rice development plan.......a kind of backward integration policy like what Dangote and BUA are enjoying on sugar.

It surely can be done only if we set our minds to it

That is best approach. Outright ban on food items is meaningless in a country that cannot feed itself. Beside, Nigeria has no comparative advantage to
produce rice. Even China imports food items.

3 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by yusluvad(m): 7:07am On Oct 17, 2021
This is terrible and saddening. Rip to the lost souls...
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Even then, and note that I don't support the end of importation of rice, just curbs on smuggling...we should not throw away forex in the name of cheap rice.

I would rather we depend on local rice, expensive as it is, so that we can have jobs and more jobs, because we cannot afford to be too dependent on foreign rice.

After all, we are in essence benefiting Thailand and Brazil;s economy at our expense.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by joyandfaith: 7:09am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Nigeria farmers cannot produce enough rice for the population. Rice is not our our local food in real sense.

3 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Born2conquer: 7:09am On Oct 17, 2021
phorget:

Wehdone Mr economist.
A mudu is 1100
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by oluwaseunamos33(m): 7:14am On Oct 17, 2021
AlanSugar:

LOL. I'm not sure it was outright refusal, I'm forced to believe it wasn't enof or up to what was demanded.
lol
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by stinechykee: 7:15am On Oct 17, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/seven-feared-dead-as-smugglers-engage-customs-in-gun-duel-in-ogun/
South West is as peaceful and quiet as grave yard while South East will turn to next Afganistan so sayeth the Yorubas.Back to the main topic:what is wrong with this hypocrital Buhari and his government?? He banned foreign rice and asked local farmers to go to farming so that our local rice and economy only for him to send his Fulani Herdsmen to kill thesame Nigerians he asked to go to farming and now famine is biting almost every Nigerians except him and those in government but resident zombies and BMC will still cheer him up

1 Like

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 17, 2021
joyandfaith:

Nigeria farmers cannot produce enough rice for the population. Rice not our our local food in real sense.

Yeah

Brazil and Thailand have enough of the swampy region needed to produce rice in large quantity.

Nigeria? One of our rice producing areas in Kano was created by building a dam which created the swampy region needed artificially.

In the good old days we didn't eat rice as much as we do now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Even then, and note that I don't support the end of importation of rice, just curbs on smuggling...we should not throw away forex in the name of cheap rice.

I would rather we depend on local rice, expensive as it is, so that we can have jobs and more jobs, because we cannot afford to be too dependent on foreign rice.

After all, we are in essence benefiting Thailand and Brazil;s economy at our expense.
Bro, the price of 50kg is about 25-27k, the national minimum wage is 33k, does that make sense?

We are not self sufficient yet months after the boarders have been close

Rice in Nigeria is one of the most expensive in the world. We can't be self sufficient in everything.

The Government should let people import rice but still support local rice farmers. The Government have to balance everything.

Countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran etc still import rice. There is nothing wrong in importing with the way things dey go in Nigeria.

If Rice farmers in Nigeria can't still compete after all this years, whose fault is that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alaka, Juju Scam Kingpin, Others Arraigned For N250m Fraud, Remanded In Prison / Share Your Bitter Experiences With Nigerian Soldiers / Groups Smuggling Indian Hemp And Other Illegal Goods Busted In Lagos. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.