Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,310 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria (23407 Views)

The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card / Top 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hold Your ATM Card In Your Hand While On Queue!! / Credit Card In Nigeria: Advantages And Disadvantages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by princelcc: 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2006
Hello folks,

Please could someone tell me how to get credit card in Nigeria? so as to use online to buy petty things like: register for domain names, web spaces etc.

Please help out!
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by nuckecy(m): 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2006
Its pretty simple, but you mustn't use it for scam or you account for yourself. Go to Ecobank at any branch in Nigeria and get an application.

You'll need to provide:
1. an International Passport
2. a company of your own or where you work that can offer a prove of your income.
3. copies of passport photo
4. minimum cash is N50,000 ($250)

The main thing are item 1 and 2. If you dont have that sorry you wont own a Mastercard. Just call the customer service on 08022701323 or 012701323.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by Afam(m): 3:54pm On Feb 15, 2006
You will get a Mastercard debit card from Ecobank or UBA. I don't know why they keep your collateral, fund your account with your funds and still call the card credit card.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:33pm On Mar 22, 2006
It's because they want to charge the more expensive credit card fees.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by mustafar1: 7:45pm On Mar 22, 2006
You will get a Mastercard debit card from Ecobank or UBA. I don't know why they keep your collateral, fund your account with your funds and still call the card credit card.

thats the same way it is in the US. just that the format is a bit different, they ask u for how much u earn per year and all that crap, get ur id number, address and the whole nine years. then depending on how credit worthy u are. they increase ur limit and if u dont pay ur bill they'll be after ur ass in a jiffy. though wat they have in naija is more like a debit mastercard cos as u spend the money is deducted from ur account(thus the reason why u need 50000naira cash to start with. and if its an actual credit card thats somewhat like a cushion in case u dont pay up. they got ur 50 grand in hand already. and NO THEY WONT LET U OWE THEM MORE THAN 50000 if u do then i guess the'll ask u to increase the amount in ur security deposit (u pay more than 50000 they initially asked for.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by allonym: 5:28pm On Mar 25, 2006
Afam:

Is the card a debit card or a credit card? There is a difference.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by jajaopobo(m): 8:52am On Mar 27, 2006
It's called a 'secured credit card' folks and you can get the same in FirstBank or Zenith. I've got one from First Bank. You've got to pay 125% of the limit you want into a dom account. This money sits there and generates interest for you as long as you pay back your debts on time. Works pretty smooth, even on the net (which some debit cards won't do), but customer service isn't great.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2006
This money sits there and generates interest for you as long as you pay back your debts on time.

The interest your money generates by "sitting there" is less than the credit card fees you'll incur, so it's silly to use this as justification of the practice. I agree that banks - like other businesses - need to make money, but please don't make it sound as if they are doing us a favor by locking down 125% of what we want to spend in a month!
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by jajaopobo(m): 4:07pm On Mar 27, 2006
The interest your money generates by "sitting there" is less than the credit card fees you'll incur, so it's silly to use this as justification of the practice. I agree that banks - like other businesses - need to make money, but please don't make it sound as if they are doing us a favor by locking down 125% of what we want to spend in a month!

Seun, while I agree with you that the interest is far below the credit card fees incurred, this was never meant to be a justification. The guy asked a question and I simply gave him an answer with a description of a service that I am familiar with. In any case, the money 'sitting there' and earning interest, no matter how small it may be, is still better than no interest at all and still having to pay the fees isn't it?

Furthermore, the banks don't "lock down" your 125% at gun point do they? No, instead you walk or drive, as the case may be, to the bank of your own volition and sign a contract and pay them the money with the understanding that it will be "locked down". So there you have it.

Finally, as you have rightly noted, the banks are out to make money and common sense demands that they protect their risks while doing so, hence the 125%.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by allonym: 3:22am On Mar 28, 2006
The credit card business is one of the few where you are rewarded for screwing the customer as much as possible and the customer is not expected to complain or given few legal resources to protect themselves.

Of course, prostitution is the easy other example, and not only can customers not protect themselves under the law, they are doubly screwed if they attempt to use the law to obtain restitution from unscrupulous prostitutes.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by enolase(m): 11:46am On Mar 28, 2006
To make an online payment, you can use a virtual credit card.

This is the only card that you can use without having to submit all those rigorous requirements.

If you are interested in getting one, you can contact info@epaypanel.com and make your inquiry.

Cheers
prince_lcc:

Hello folks,

Please could someone tell me how to get credit card in Nigeria? so as to use online to buy petty things like: register for domain names, web spaces etc.

Please help out!
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by forexgiude: 5:50pm On Sep 12, 2007
IF YOU MUST INVEST THEN YOU MUST LEARN

GET YOUR FOREX LESSON CDs

SIX CDS FOR ONLY 3K NAIRA (EACH CD CONTAINS ABOUT 600MEGA BYTE OF
INFORMATION). TOTALLING OVER 4HRS OF FULL AUDIO AND VIDEO LESSONS.

FULL STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO TRADE FX,HOW TO START AND HOW TO WITHDRAW YOUR EARNINGS.

TO ORDER SEND EMAIL TO :bitterstone1@yahoo.no
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by cyberjaya: 6:42am On Nov 25, 2007
Dont go for those requirements by your bank go for a visa branded virtual card that comes with your own name
visit: www.worldwide-virtual-visacards.com

You can shop with this card and get verified by paypal. It works perfectly well on all merchants sites.

If merchants dont ship to Nigeria, YOU must shop with their card and they will give u virtual office who will then redirect your order to Africa

when it comes to online shopping go for this card: www.worldwide-virtual-visacards.com

Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by NetMaster(m): 9:09am On Nov 25, 2007
The fact is that there are a lot of scams going on online. You should not just use an online company because you see it posted in a forum like this.

1. First you need to look at the site and what it depicts.

Check the competence of the company by going to google.com and typing "thedomainnameofthecompany.com" and see if the company appears in google and how many times as well as what is their credibility.

2. On Nigerian Banks, I prefer you dont use them now to make payment online. Most merchants wont accept them even if it is a master or visa card. I have had series of complaints in my office on this: Merchants wont accept the cards but the money in the cards are easily swindled by online fraudstars.

3. What is the solution: The solution is that you can own your own visa card in Nigeria, use the account it comes from to earn Fraud-Free-Money online and have your money to your savings or Current account. Above all, you use the account to set up visa cards on your own and make payment. Do not depend on someone to give you cards but be able to have your cards any time you need it.

Regards,

Henry
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by denye: 4:26pm On Nov 25, 2007
it is simple, but i still is not the best to use
credit card online, because of fraud,
you can use the virtual cards for these service.
Go to www.axlecards.com/ F.O.A,
to get more information or call
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by deetayo(m): 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2007
go to any intercontinenta bank and pick up a prepaid mastercard. it would serve ur purpose
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by tooslar: 7:50am On Nov 27, 2007
but I thought Ecobank requires minimum opening balance of $100.

Pls lets reconfirm.

Because I have personally been to a branch of Ecobank on Akin Adesola where I was told that the minimum is $100

I don't know if it has been changed.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by klarry79: 7:51am On Nov 27, 2007
DEETAYO

prepaid credit card?
is there any such thing
if it is prepaid why is it creditcard?

cheers
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by mavtrevor(m): 5:04pm On Nov 28, 2007
You can get one for free as a Nigerian, check the attachement to see more.

Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by petex: 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2008
Getting A reliable credit card in Nigeria has always been a pain the neck. although some bank offer credit card service, the problem is that most online companies do not accept credit card that originate from nigeria.

I tried it and it didn't work. you keep on seeing 'your order cannot be process". Most Nigerian now just ask their relative abroad to help make payment due to the frustration.

Of recent a few companies in Nigeria do provide credit card service, though with problem of IP address their is still a problem. 2 months ago I stumble on a nigerian site that provide prepaid Virtual Visa card. Though the rate wasn't cheap but i think it is thew cheapest I have found arround. It tried their service and I got my Visa Card deliver in 6 day even though the promise 3 days .

They even give you a software That help you block merchant knowing you are making payment from nigeria. that alone is worth it. It also enable me to change my billing address from USA to nigeria when I choose to and ask for more discount if you can.

You may check them out at www.naijacreditcards.com and see if the could be of help to you.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by cyberjaya: 1:52am On Jun 16, 2008
I do not think its a serious web site with google adwords displaying the web page of his competitors virtually in all corners.
if they have to deliver in 6 days and with high rates, coupled with not been backed up with any bank in nigeria makes their claim suspicious.

I still prefer to get my valid VCC from renowned companies below, it does not matter where ever you are. you can buy from any where with e-gold or liberty reserve cheaply.

www.worldwide-virtual-visacards.com
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by eiete(f): 2:13am On Jun 16, 2008
In Nigeria UBA issues Credit Card. Below is a url to get to the page

http://www.ubagroup.com/products/atm.asp

Access Bank Issues Visa Credit card.

http://www.accessbankplc.com/lastminor.cfm?id=154
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by cyberjaya: 2:47am On Jun 16, 2008
Sorry man, the UBA and Access bank visa card are not anonymous card and also its a mastercard. Can only be used with the attached address, You should know the difference btwn both. whereas, you can get a virtual visa card without ID and you only spend the exact amount you have on it and it helps prevent overcharge and fraud on your card.
check the below requirements if an average nigerian can afford same:
How it Works

* Click on the ‘APPLY’ button to download our Application Forms, complete and submit with all documentations to our Customer Service Officer at your nearest UBA branch.
* Two recent Passport Photographs.
* International Passport or Driver’s license for Identification.
* Two reference forms.
* Minimum of $100 opening balance (for prepaid MasterCard)
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by phoenixy1: 11:34am On Sep 08, 2008
Hi guys, nice posts.
just a few points to note.
*Doing a google search for a website is no proof of its viability! If its online, google spider will find it and bring you the result.
*Nice virtual credit cards from abroad, but you still need a 'credit card' to pay for them,  hmmm?
*Boy! the prices! Like the are the only ones offering that service? No way I'll pay that.
*Check your backyard. look up SoftPay VCC. for the 'small' business man. They got denominations from as little as £20. which you can buy in Naira!
just follow their web link, Click Here.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by nvstaff: 3:16pm On Dec 08, 2008
The best place to get your debit card is www.NaijaVirtualShop.Com - fastest service
we also sell ALL e-ccurencies e.g , Liberty reserve, altergold, v-money, etc
thousands of nairalanders get their debit cards here

VISIT WWW.NAIJAVIRTUALSHOP.COM now
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by att9999: 1:11am On May 20, 2009
You can get anonymous virtual prepaid visa card from www.rhumsikypay.com. I tried their cards and they work perfect even for paypal. I think you should try it out.
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by franel79(m): 9:06pm On Jun 26, 2009
Get Your Virtual Visa Credit Card Here In 3 Days, Pay In Naira. Works Fine Click Here
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by goodson(m): 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2009
u can get one from DIAMOND BANK
Re: How Can I Get My Own Credit Card In Nigeria by obion: 1:38pm On Aug 26, 2009
Hey fellas, i don't know about credit card but i know about a virtual card that works like a CC too.
check www.legworkr.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aroms Aigbehi: I Came to Invest In Edo, Now They Want to Kill My Wife & Me / BUA Group To Build 200,000bpd Refinery And Petrochemical Plant / My Adventurous Trip To A Local Village Market In Delta State To Buy Yam Tubers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.