Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ (35634 Views)

Buhari’s Government Pays Ex-Militants N2.63bn As Stipends In 2 Months - ICIR / Shekau: Allah Said Boko Haram Should Kill. Invites Bandits To Join Group / Coronavirus: Edo Government Pays Workers March Salaries To Cushion Effects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Elsueno: 10:34am On Oct 17, 2021
nedekid:

Did you read the part where it says the bandits are Fulani heardsmen? So you actually expect them to be bombed? Are you kidding?

If u believe the propaganda dat the army doesn't bomb or kill Fulani herdsmen cum killer bandits/terrorists, they u can also believe UGM are DSS operatives trying to paint IPOB bad. My only criticism in dis northwest issue is that, d presidency down played due to tribal sentiment & now it has blown up in all our faces. Tax payers are spending billions of naira yearly in both military equipments & millions for ransom.

Jonathan downplayed boko Haram

Buhari downplayed killer herdsmen

Obasanjo dealth with OPC, herdsmen & early boko boys( biu, gwoza mountains) with overwhelming military might
Yar'adua blessed his soul, also dealth with this killer herdsmens without any tribal sentiment not to talk of boko Haram which he unleashed the full force of the Nigerian armed forces on

1 Like

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by EjaNla19(m): 10:37am On Oct 17, 2021
What is this? So these people are actually stronger than our national defense� So scary... We should all be worried, every single Nigerian... very worried at that.

That these guys have the capacity to bring down a Presidential aircraft and have to be paid by authorities not to shouldn't be cruise to anybody. It's actually scary. Wahala tii wa o
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bigcasava1(m): 10:39am On Oct 17, 2021
stinechykee:
Oga which Southern Nigeria are you calling to come together,is it South West that always join Fulani to castigate and mock IPOB/ESN that is eve even squaring it with this Fulani Herdsmen government or South South that have allowed Fulani and Yoruba to deceive them again the way they did before Nigeria/Biafra war that Igbos are their enemy.Oga better go and pick your clothes where you kept where you took your bath and count South East out in your ustless collaboration
you can't fight alone. Look how ur brothers are dieing like chicken everyday. It must not be that they must come together but there's need to protect our territory, and that can be achieved if all areas share a common idea.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by TheStarsAlign: 10:43am On Oct 17, 2021
Hehehe… Let the cows defend this
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:48am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
What kind of Anti Aircraft Gun is in the possession of the Bandits that can threaten GMB aircraft?

I find it so hard to believe this news.

Except they have a SAM, no anti aircraft gun can take down any of the presidential jets cause of how high they do fly.

But he needs to land nearby, and has to descend to do that.

From the article:

That posed a threat to President Muhammadu Buhari, who had been planning to fly to his hometown about 80 miles away, and the government needed to buy it back.

3 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bizzibodi(m): 10:52am On Oct 17, 2021
What a shame!why did d army took an AA there in d first place?do bandits use fighter jets to warrant AA......it look like d military is donating weapons to terrorists their allies & using state funds to retrieve donated weapons thereby sharing d proceed at an agreed ratio btw terrorists & corrupt army accomplices.
Why should he care that terrorists brothers brought down his ass & plane down.

5 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by slowice(m): 10:52am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
What kind of Anti Aircraft Gun is in the possession of the Bandits that can threaten GMB aircraft?

Except they have a SAM, no anti aircraft gun can take down any of the presidential jets cause of how high they do fly.

Helicopter.... Since the talk was about him visiting daura soonest.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by slowice(m): 10:54am On Oct 17, 2021
If you can afford it, pls by all means japa
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bizzibodi(m): 10:58am On Oct 17, 2021
RiceProducers:

Wrong!!!
Presidential jets and choppers have almost fool proof protection from SAMs. There are impressive technologies against these sophisticated weapons built into the aircraft.

There is very little or NO from manual 23mm ordnance fired from weapons taken off MRAPS, IFVs or gun trucks.
Nothing like fool proof protection in a 30 yrs old presidential plane you think it is airforce 1.

3 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bizzibodi(m): 11:01am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Do you even have sense at all?

It seems some of you guys think the president is just like a random Governor, there will be soldiers patroling every nook and cranies of daura when the president is coming.

You can't just come out from no where to shoot down the presidential plane.
Look they have a lot of bandits recruited into d NA,it is d same Fulani soldiers they will send to secure d airport & daura.... nepotism will consume that man one day.

4 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bizzibodi(m): 11:05am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
There is something called AWACS.

AWACs will pick up the guntrucks before it will have the chance to engage a presidential jet.
Do we have AWACS? even NAF dnt have capability to monitor d airspace.

4 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by asobo1: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Buhari uses Helicopter whenever he travels to Daura. That is why his one and only project in his home state is the construction of Helipad.

5 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:22am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Be like you dey sleep when bandit shot down a fighter jet

4 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2021
Aufbauh:
Quite shameful and pathetic!
It's an open secret that so many big players and top military men are involved in this sham.

It is my candid opinion to say that insecurity in Northern Nigeria is one of the biggest medium used by politicians and the military to enrich themselves. It is their own oil money.

If u believe this news u can believe that elephant can fly!
Bandits have many AA Guns and AA is worth not upto $5000k but the report is making case for outrageous sum for just AA, so why should they pay only one group when it is obvious these people are in many groups.
Do u think President's jet can be reached by Bandit's AA?
Think again!
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by jchioma: 11:37am On Oct 17, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:
If white people refuse to sell guns to you, you will claim they are wicked and racist.

How can a bunch of probably malnourished bandits steal anti aircraft guns from the Nigerian Military?

The truth is, they are not stolen but given. They have support from the military and security agents and everyone is settled at the end of the day; including the young officer that went for the drop. I pray the people wakes up.

1 Like

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Aufbauh(m): 11:46am On Oct 17, 2021
Coronabirus:

If u believe this news u can believe that elephant can fly!
Bandits have many AA Guns and AA is worth not upto $5000k but the report is making case for outrageous sum for just AA, so why should they pay only one group when it is obvious these people are in many groups.
Do u think President's jet can be reached by Bandit's AA?
Think again!

You're very sound in your assessment. I equally don't believe the news as I perceived the story as a propaganda and blackmail.

However my comment was premised on the general observations from the whole security situation in the North, from Boko haram to kidnapping and banditry.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by RiceProducers: 11:54am On Oct 17, 2021
bizzibodi:

Nothing like fool proof protection in a 30 yrs old presidential plane you think it is airforce 1.

Yes. Aircraft manufacturers have made a lot of money selling active protection systems for Heads of State aircrafts. The world over. It is not only US President's plane that is Airforce 1.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Ykc2(m): 11:54am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

buhari don't go to kastina with private jet but with helicopter,you find it hard to believe the news so you won't offend prophet buhari make una dey deceive una selves

4 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by planetx: 12:08pm On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Most likely a threat to his helicopter not the presidential jet. If he lands at Katsina airport he has to take his helicopter to Daura or driven in a motorcade.

2 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by POTUT(m): 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Gusau is next door to Katsina. If the president is scheduled to fly to Katsina and an anti-aircraft gun is at large in Gusau...Is that how much you want to endanger the President?

The aircraft can be prime target during descent or take off from Katsina airport. I won't give you the job of guarding the President, if it were mine to give.

2 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nato008(m): 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2021
obailala:
Hmmm... this AWACS you talk of, I'm not sure I know what it is. But from a quick google search, I discovered the AWACS is a kind of massive surveillance aircraft with a powerful infrared radar system capable of picking up 'low flying' threats (not exactly ground threats). Correct me if this is wrong?

If I'm right about the AWACS, then all I can ask is ARE YOU JOKING? Are you really being serious or just taking a piss by assuming Nigeria has such capabilities?
Leave the guy.....people will just stay in there room and be typing anything the like

2 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by POTUT(m): 12:13pm On Oct 17, 2021
planetx:
Most likely a threat to his helicopter not the presidential jet. If he lands at Katsina airport he has to take his helicopter to Daura or driven in a motorcade.

Helicopter. There's a helipad in Daura.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 17, 2021
Aufbauh:

You're very sound in your assessment. I equally don't believe the news as I perceived the story as a propaganda and blackmail.

However my comment was premised on the general observations from the whole security situation in the North, from Boko haram to kidnapping and banditry.

There are people who are known for having hands in insecurity in the North. One of them is PDP member from Zamfara state, he was part of the team that lead NSO later dissolved to NIA, DIA and DSS. He was army General and knows Nigerian security may be more than everyone. He is PDP card bearer, has gold mining company in Zamfara, he was was all over OBJ, GEJ and Yar'adua, the security of Nigeria is on the hand of that man. He so intelligent enough to leave no trace to his atrocities, if u take him to court u will just be telling govt hear-say evidence but hardly u can present concrete evidence that can prove him guilty of the case he may be charged. He may later demand huge money for defamation of character, he commands respect in PDP, they found the party and if arrested many ignorants will allege political arrest. Not only him, Nigeria is in the hands of her enemies who have no conscience nor sense of patriotism. I always pity the poor masses who are so brainwashed to only think abt ethno-religious politics.
For instance, how can the failure of PMB drag his tribe into his case?
Why the fault of Muslims or Christian leader affect the faith he belongs to?
If we really know how those people who open their dirty mouth to spread hates are sponsored to use sociocultural group to divide people we would never support them for a second.
I pity Nigerian masses, they are delusional, ill informed, dogmatic with no consciousness to ponder well abt their situation.

2 Likes

Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 17, 2021
POTUT:

Gusau is next door to Katsina. If the president is scheduled to fly to Katsina and an anti-aircraft gun is at large in Gusau...Is that how much you want to endanger the President?

The aircraft can be prime target during descent or take off from Katsina airport. I won't give you the job of guarding the President, if it were mine to give.
What is the Job of the DSS, Police, DIA etc? If Biden visit Nigeria, and he will visit Katsina, will the US Government also pay $50k or they will stop the attack from happening?

Nigerian security agencies have the capability of stopping the attack without paying.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by nedekid: 12:36pm On Oct 17, 2021
Elsueno:

If u believe the propaganda dat the army doesn't bomb or kill Fulani herdsmen cum killer bandits/terrorists, they u can also believe UGM are DSS operatives trying to paint IPOB bad. My only criticism in dis northwest issue is that, d presidency down played due to tribal sentiment & now it has blown up in all our faces. Tax payers are spending billions of naira yearly in both military equipments & millions for ransom.

Jonathan downplayed boko Haram

Buhari downplayed killer herdsmen

Obasanjo dealth with OPC, herdsmen & early boko boys( biu, gwoza mountains) with overwhelming military might
Yar'adua blessed his soul, also dealth with this killer herdsmens without any tribal sentiment not to talk of boko Haram which he unleashed the full force of the Nigerian armed forces on

Pls watch the below video with respect to Boko Haram, Jonathan and buhari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJ8GYr6P_8
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by ddeola: 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2021
This govt is just funding bandits and indulging herdsmen while celebrating boko-devils. Your days of terror are numbered, Nigeria will outlive all of you DEMONS. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by bamosagie(m): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

The theatre of operation for the bandits is his home state, they can take out his aircraft as he is about to land. Don't forget a fighter jet was shot down not too long ago at the same northwest.

However, paying them ransom so they can purchase another one is what I don't understand.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Guide777(m): 1:42pm On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

And do you think brought down the aircraft in which the chief of Army Staff died?
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 17, 2021
Guide777:
And do you think brought deown the aircraft in which the chief of Army Staff died?
The aircraft the former COAS was flying in was not shot down.
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Yankee101: 2:00pm On Oct 17, 2021
Buhari has scattered nigeria
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Guide777(m): 2:02pm On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
The aircraft the former COAS was flying in was not shot down.
So tell me, I may have been ignorant. why exactly did the plane crash?
Re: Government Pays $50,000 Ransom To Bandits To Retrieve Antiaircraft Gun - WSJ by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 17, 2021
Guide777:
So tell me, I may have been ignorant. why exactly did the plane crash?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://punchng.com/tragic-coas-10-others-dead-as-plane-crashes-in-kaduna-bad-weather/%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjktfi2wdHzAhWBAGMBHa2KDaMQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3hxMGaM5bmRP7w75cptRQ8&ampcf=1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Governorship Debate: Candidate Performace Ratings By Premium Times / Jonathan And Buhari Agree To Channels Television Debate On Feb3 / Arms: EFCC May Query Sanusi Over $2.2bn Arms Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.