Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,204 members, 7,836,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take (1554 Views)

Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take - A Rebuttal. / 3 Men Carrying Sacrifice In Ikorodu, Forced To Eat It (Photos) / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 5:14am On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
They always surprise you? undecided

For one who has been active on here for so long, you mea it never occurred to you that when we say we are servants of the Master or of God, it implies we are slaves of His, and those who willing submit to being slaves of even God cannot, by reason of common sense, be against slavery? undecided

No it surprised me that anybody is willing to identify with slavery. No Christian I have so far discussed anything relating to slavery has said they have no problem with slavery. I thought you were no different but surprise surprise.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by KillingIsFun: 11:18am On Oct 19, 2021
The concept of sacrifice as it exists in Christianity is different from how it is understood or applicable in African traditional religion.

The Christian concept of sacrifice has its roots in two ideals: submissiveness and willingness.

Jesus willingly submitted to God's salvation plan. He didn't have to sacrifice himself and He wasn't forced or compelled to do it; He willingly embraced it. As He said in John 10:18

No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

Sacrifice in African traditional religion typically does not have any of the elements associated with the Christian concept.

Premiumwriter:
Hello everyone,

First of all, this post is not in anyway meant to attack anyone's faith. If anything, it's for us to take a deeper look at the things we believe in.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let's get back to the topic.

Human Sacrifice from my perspective is any ritual that involves the shedding of human blood to either obtain favor from a deity, appease an angry deity, or a form of Thanksgiving for the good done by the deity.

The reason for the sacrifice does not matter much in this our argument but what is most important is the process and the 'item' of sacrifice.

Sacrificing a human for a religious purpose today is seen as a bad thing and such religions are seen as demonic. This is not only true for human but for animals also.

In fact, in Africa today, any religion that sheds blood whether it be that of human or an animal is tagged a demonic religion. And so, a lot of us no longer engage in our traditional religion because most of our traditional religion requires sacrifices and sometimes the shedding of the blood of one animal or the other or a few often demand for human head.

While a lot of Africans quickly convert to Christianity and see it as the 'light' and the only true religion which is holy and blameless, some others cannot but see the many similarities between Christianity and the traditional African religion especially in terms of human Sacrifices.

The Bible clearly stated that without the shedding of blood there's no remission of sin (Heb 9:22)

As such in the old testament, the Israelites were involved in elaborate animal sacrifices.. More animals were probably sacrificed to God by the Israelites than the number of animals African traditionalist will ever offer to their deities.

But the Christians took this as nothing. In fact, they use it to preach as though it were nothing but a 'pot of roasted yam in palm oil with a few eggs at a street corner' is sacrilegious to them and a thing that inspires fears.

One of the greatest mystery in Christianity is the sacrifice of Jesus christ. Till today, Christians loathe anything that has to do with human Sacrifices but are quick to call on the blood of Jesus, a human/God supposedly sacrificed to God for the forgiveness of human sins.

If human Sacrifice is the bedrock of Christianity and the basis for the forgiveness of their sins is the blood of another man, then they probably have no right to castigate others appealing to their own gods with lesser blood from lesser animals or even a human equivalent.

Hope I didn't rumble too much. Guys what do you think about this?
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2021
KillingIsFun:
The concept of sacrifice as it exists in Christianity is different from how it is understood or applicable in African traditional religion.

The Christian concept of sacrifice has its roots in two ideals: submissiveness and willingness.

Jesus willingly submitted to God's salvation plan. He didn't have to sacrifice himself and He wasn't forced or compelled to do it; He willingly embraced it. As He said in John 10:18

No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

Sacrifice in African traditional religion typically does not have any of the elements associated with the Christian concept.

The willingness of the object being sacrificed is immaterial. Do you suppose that any of the animal sacrifices made by the ancient Israelites went to their deaths willingly? They most certainly won't have and yet we still call them sacrifice.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkiee: 3:50pm On Oct 19, 2021
LordReed:
No it surprised me that anybody is willing to identify with slavery. No Christian I have so far discussed anything relating to slavery has said they have no problem with slavery. I thought you were no different but surprise surprise.
I have never here or anywhere else presented myself the typical Christian so the fault is yours assuming I must fit into that alot for you. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 3:52pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I have never here or anywhere else presented myself the typical Christian so the fault is yours assuming I must fit into that alot for you. undecided

Oh sure I accept that.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by orunto27: 5:47pm On Oct 19, 2021
Jesus was Human, Flesh and Blood.

The Three wisemen visited Him and presented Gifts. They talked to Mary and Jesus. Jesus told them He came to represent God on Earth. Christians and Islam have no problems with that because they value History. Jesus' Destiny carry CROSS and on The CRISIS Point He became The CRUCIFIED CHRIST THAT PROPELLED HIM TO HEAVEN.

EAST OR WEST, YOYO OR NOT, HOME IS THE BEST. THE RESURRECTION IS THE GLORIFYING SALVATION FOR ALL CRISIS.

GLORY TO GOD.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by orunto27: 6:33am On Oct 22, 2021
Premiumwriter:

There's that goalpost shift again. Was he in flesh and blood? Was he given birth to? Did Mary nurse him as an infant?

Then he was as human as any other man.

You want JUSTIFICATION to KILL? NO. ONLY GOD CAN KILL, BE JEALOUS AND BE COVETOUS. HE CREATED ALL THINGS IN HIS OWN WAY AND ONLY HE CAN DESTROY ALL HE HAS CREATED. GOD IS ENGLISH NOT HEBREW AND NOT NIGERIAN. HE IS OMNICAPABLE BECAUSE HE IS THE SUPREME SPIRIT. THAT IS ENGLISH NOT ARABIC AND NOT SHIFTING GOALPOST.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 9:37am On Oct 23, 2021
orunto27:

You want JUSTIFICATION to KILL? NO. ONLY GOD CAN KILL, BE JEALOUS AND BE COVETOUS. HE CREATED ALL THINGS IN HIS OWN WAY AND ONLY HE CAN DESTROY ALL HE HAS CREATED. GOD IS ENGLISH NOT HEBREW AND NOT NIGERIAN. HE IS OMNICAPABLE BECAUSE HE IS THE SUPREME SPIRIT. THAT IS ENGLISH NOT ARABIC AND NOT SHIFTING GOALPOST.

It's so hard to argue with religious folks.

First of all, do you realize that just as you believe that God created all things and has the right to kill, so do the worshippers of Baal believe that Baal created all things and he should be offered whatever pleases him?

If we are to reason that because you believe that your God created all things and all things belong to him, then what makes you think we should not grant every other religion/gods the same rights?

This is why I say, REASON for the sacrifice is secondary. What is most important is that THE ACT OF HUMAN SACRIFICE WAS CARRIED OUT and justified every day by every Christians.

Concerning the justification for killing, I do not seek for any justification for murder, rather I'll appeal that you look into your post and you'll see that all the things you said are meant to JUSTIFY HOW PERFECTLY RIGHT IT IS FOR A HUMAN TO HE SACRIFICED TO A GOD.

I am only questioning WHY a man must be killed, you are the one JUSTIFYING why and how perfectly right it is for the man to be killed.

But trying to pin it on me (that goalpost shift again)
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by orunto27: 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2021
Premiumwriter:

It's so hard to argue with religious folks.

First of all, do you realize that just as you believe that God created all things and has the right to kill, so do the worshippers of Baal believe that Baal created all things and he should be offered whatever pleases him?

If we are to reason that because you believe that your God created all things and all things belong to him, then what makes you think we should not grant every other religion/gods the same rights?

This is why I say, REASON for the sacrifice is secondary. What is most important is that THE ACT OF HUMAN SACRIFICE WAS CARRIED OUT and justified every day by every Christians.

Concerning the justification for killing, I do not seek for any justification for murder, rather I'll appeal that you look into your post and you'll see that all the things you said are meant to JUSTIFY HOW PERFECTLY RIGHT IT IS FOR A HUMAN TO HE SACRIFICED TO A GOD.

I am only questioning WHY a man must be killed, you are the one JUSTIFYING why and how perfectly right it is for the man to be killed.

But trying to pin it on me (that goalpost shift again)

Jesus was a camouflaged human. His death was The HANDIWORK of Heavenly Plan to show Humans The Way of His Kingdom.

This is JESUS described in EXCELSIS:-

LORD JESUS CHRIST, ONLY SON OF THE FATHER,

LORD GOD, LAMB OF GOD,

YOU TAKE AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD;

HAVE MERCY ON US;

YOU ARE SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER;

RECEIVE OUR PRAYER;

FOR YOU ALONE ARE THE HOLY ONE,

YOU ALONE ARE THE LORD,

YOU ALONE ARE THE MOST HIGH,

JESUS CHRIST,

WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT,

IN THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER.

AMEN.

As for Baal, leave that and The Holy Spirit Christian God to fight Their Supremacy Struggle.

Here is a Bible Commentary:-

Abraham's Father was a Manufacturer of Baal's Idols. His son, Abraham always carry the Idols to sell. One day, Abraham challenged the Idols to speak and defend themselves. And when they couldn't, Abraham destroyed them and enjoined his Father to worship with him GOD, THE SUPREME SPIRIT IN HEAVEN.

From Orisa37
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Truvelisback(m): 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2021
Human Ritualist spotted

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Few Things I Dislike About Christians / What If You Renege On A Promise You Made To God? / Death Of Pastors Rampant Because Of Sin - Babarinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.