Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take (1485 Views)

Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take - A Rebuttal. / 3 Men Carrying Sacrifice In Ikorodu, Forced To Eat It (Photos) / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2021
Hello everyone,

First of all, this post is not in anyway meant to attack anyone's faith. If anything, it's for us to take a deeper look at the things we believe in.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let's get back to the topic.

Human Sacrifice from my perspective is any ritual that involves the shedding of human blood to either obtain favor from a deity, appease an angry deity, or a form of Thanksgiving for the good done by the deity.

The reason for the sacrifice does not matter much in this our argument but what is most important is the process and the 'item' of sacrifice.

Sacrificing a human for a religious purpose today is seen as a bad thing and such religions are seen as demonic. This is not only true for human but for animals also.

In fact, in Africa today, any religion that sheds blood whether it be that of human or an animal is tagged a demonic religion. And so, a lot of us no longer engage in our traditional religion because most of our traditional religion requires sacrifices and sometimes the shedding of the blood of one animal or the other or a few often demand for human head.

While a lot of Africans quickly convert to Christianity and see it as the 'light' and the only true religion which is holy and blameless, some others cannot but see the many similarities between Christianity and the traditional African religion especially in terms of human Sacrifices.

The Bible clearly stated that without the shedding of blood there's no remission of sin (Heb 9:22)

As such in the old testament, the Israelites were involved in elaborate animal sacrifices.. More animals were probably sacrificed to God by the Israelites than the number of animals African traditionalist will ever offer to their deities.

But the Christians took this as nothing. In fact, they use it to preach as though it were nothing but a 'pot of roasted yam in palm oil with a few eggs at a street corner' is sacrilegious to them and a thing that inspires fears.

One of the greatest mystery in Christianity is the sacrifice of Jesus christ. Till today, Christians loathe anything that has to do with human Sacrifices but are quick to call on the blood of Jesus, a human/God supposedly sacrificed to God for the forgiveness of human sins.

If human Sacrifice is the bedrock of Christianity and the basis for the forgiveness of their sins is the blood of another man, then they probably have no right to castigate others appealing to their own gods with lesser blood from lesser animals or even a human equivalent.

Hope I didn't rumble too much. Guys what do you think about this?

4 Likes

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Lizlee: 11:35am On Oct 17, 2021
Them be cultist grin grin
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Dtruthspeaker: 12:42pm On Oct 17, 2021
Premiumwriter:
...Human Sacrifice from my perspective is any ritual that involves the shedding of human blood to either obtain favor from a deity, appease an angry deity, or a form of Thanksgiving for the good done by the deity.

The reason for the sacrifice does not matter much in this our argument but what is most important is the process and the 'item' of sacrifice.

See you craftiness and Cunning!

"The reason for the sacrifice does not matter".

How can you discuss about death/murder/crime without "mens Rea"?

Is there an act without its corresponding reason?

DID YOU MAKE THIS POST WITHOUT A REASON?

But now that you know that there are irrebutable justified reasons for an action you have now seeking to slyly delete them from the conversation.

Whereas they are Integral to the conversation

Which clearly means you are aware of the Right Fullness of Christ and God's Laws on Sacrifice but you are now endeavouring to find another Answer WHICH IS NOT TRUE!

It therefore means your thread is Biased and Imbalanced and thus Unreasonable!

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

See you craftiness and Cunning!

"The reason for the sacrifice does not matter".

How can you discuss about death/murder/crime without "mens Rea"?

Is there an act without its corresponding reason?

DID YOU MAKE THIS POST WITHOUT A REASON?

But now that you know that there are irrebutable justified reasons for an action you have now seeking to slyly delete them from the conversation.

Whereas they are Integral to the conversation

Which clearly means you are aware of the Right Fullness of Christ and God's Laws on Sacrifice but you are now endeavouring to find another Answer WHICH IS NOT TRUE!

It therefore means your thread is Biased and Imbalanced and thus Unreasonable!

First of all, you are trying too hard to make a point.

I said the reason for a sacrifice doesn't matter much because Christianity does not care about why traditionalist offer sacrifices to their gods but are most concerned about the act itself.

Take for instance, when you as a Christian see idol worshippers carrying sacrifices to the shrine, you don't stop to think that they may be carrying a sacrifice to the gods because they are happy that the gods they served has blessed them or they just want to do it as an appeal to the gods for wealth.

This is the truth. Take for instance, when you see a calabash filled with snails and feathers around the corner very early in the morning, you don't say 'well, someone is only praising his gods'. Rather you attribute it to evil and demons.

You as a Christian does not care about the reasons. All you know is that such sacrifices is evil and demonic.

Secondly, if we are to concern ourselves with reasons, then every religion has a reason to offer the sacrifices they offer to their gods. And if the God of Christianity have a reason to demand for blood with no one castigating him, then maybe Christians shouldn't castigate others obeying their own gods.

With that out of the way, what reason justifies the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sin? I ask this question to you irrespective of your religion

2 Likes

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by jesusjnr2020(m): 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2021
It's like you're seeking a way to justify ritual killings/human sacrifices but trying to pin it on Christianity.

Human sacrifices is forbidden in Christianity so your argument is dead on arrival!

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by orunto27: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2021
Christianity is neither Philology nor Philosophy. It is "THE RIGHTEOUS".THANK GOD YOU ARE DESCRIBING "HUMAN SARCRIFICE". JESUS SARCRIFICE IS "GOD SARCRIFICE". GOD IS NOT HUMAN. GOD IS THE SUPREME SPIRIT IN HEAVEN NOT ON EARTH WHERE HUMANS LIVE. ISAAC WAS HUMAN. GOD REPLACED HIM WITH A LAMB. BUT GOD CAME DOWN HIMSELF IN JESUS FORM TO SHOW BELIEVERS THE WAY UP HOME.

3 Likes

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Dtruthspeaker: 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2021
Premiumwriter:
...Take for instance, when you as a Christian see idol worshippers carrying sacrifices to the shrine, you don't stop to think that they may be carrying a sacrifice to the gods because they are happy that the gods they served has blessed them or they just want to do it as an appeal to the gods for wealth.

If it is because of he was blessed, Happiness and Joy will be on his face and countenance, therefore, we see it.

But when it is for wants and wealth, (The Major Request for everyone) we also see it.

Thus, we pity Him for we know that He shall always want!

Premiumwriter:
...And if the God of Christianity have a reason to demand for blood with no one castigating him, then maybe Christians shouldn't castigate others obeying their own gods.

Correction! God did not demand for blood, He Gave us Mercy to Escape The Punishment of Law, Which of course He has Sent Forth to Do it's Work, And it will be done.

And The Law is Eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,...life for life.

And we God Followers (infact the whole world knows especially Naturalist whom we call Traditionalist in Nigeria) know that we have taken Lives, so we must give up our own Lives.

This is where God Saves us, in that He now have us A Way to Fulfill The Law, yet we escape with our own Lives and Lose it not.

Thus, God Himself (The Law Too) DIRECTED AND PRESCRIBED what Life/Blood He would Accept in Exchange of our Guilt, that we may not lose our own life or Lives but keep it and Live.

And definitely our "Have Mercy on Us" Sacrifice, shows on our faces. So no one can reasonably complain about it.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by illicit(m): 3:17pm On Oct 17, 2021
Anytime u mention ritual

What comes to people's mind is blood money lol

Ritual just means a practise
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 4:47pm On Oct 17, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
It's like you're seeking a way to justify ritual killings/human sacrifices but trying to pin it on Christianity.

Human sacrifices is forbidden in Christianity so your argument is dead on arrival!
if I was seeking to justify human sacrifices or rituals, then I'm already late.

The Bible already justified it a long time ago. Christians justify it everyday of their lives.

Each time you speak of the blood of Jesus, you think it's not the life of a man sacrificed on the alter of a God? And if this is right and you uphold this as just and righteous, then are you not the very one justifying human Sacrifice?

Human Sacrifice is the bedrock of Christianity. It is the FOUNDATION of Christianity. It is not forbidden.

In fact, the new testament is a transition from animal blood to human blood. Am I wrong with this assertion?

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2021
orunto27:
Christianity is neither Philology nor Philosophy. It is "THE RIGHTEOUS".THANK GOD YOU ARE DESCRIBING "HUMAN SARCRIFICE". JESUS SARCRIFICE IS "GOD SARCRIFICE". GOD IS NOT HUMAN. GOD IS THE SUPREME SPIRIT IN HEAVEN NOT ON EARTH WHERE HUMANS LIVE. ISAAC WAS HUMAN. GOD REPLACED HIM WITH A LAMB. BUT GOD CAME DOWN HIMSELF IN JESUS FORM TO SHOW BELIEVERS THE WAY UP HOME.

There's that goalpost shift again. Was he in flesh and blood? Was he given birth to? Did Mary nurse him as an infant?

Then he was as human any any other man.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

If it is because of he was blessed, Happiness and Joy will be on his face and countenance, therefore, we see it.

But when it is for wants and wealth, (The Major Request for everyone) we also see it.

Thus, we pity Him for we know that He shall always want!

Correction! God did not demand for blood, He Gave us Mercy to Escape The Punishment of Law, Which of course He has Sent Forth to Do it's Work, And it will be done.

And The Law is Eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,...life for life.

And we God Followers (infact the whole world knows especially Naturalist whom we call Traditionalist in Nigeria) know that we have taken Lives, so we must give up our own Lives.

This is where God Saves us, in that He now have us A Way to Fulfill The Law, yet we escape with our own Lives and Lose it not.

Thus, God Himself (The Law Too) DIRECTED AND PRESCRIBED what Life/Blood He would Accept in Exchange of our Guilt, that we may not lose our own life or Lives but keep it and Live.

And definitely our "Have Mercy on Us" Sacrifice, shows on our faces. So no one can reasonably complain about it.

I tried reading this but it's so painful to read I had to abandon it.

Like I said, first thing first let's call a spade a spade. If the death of Jesus was for the atonement of our sins, then it's a sacrifice involving a human life.

The reason for such a sacrifice is secondary.

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by A001: 5:48pm On Oct 17, 2021
OP, you're right. Most aspects of Christianity were copied from pagan Africans' religions, predating the birth of fictitious Jesus Christ by thousands of years.

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Dtruthspeaker: 9:17pm On Oct 17, 2021
Premiumwriter:
I tried reading this but it's so painful to read I had to abandon it.

Like I said, first thing first let's call a spade a spade. If the death of Jesus was for the atonement of our sins, then it's a sacrifice involving a human life.

The reason for such a sacrifice is secondary.

It's too painful for you to read because you Hate Truth, (Bias) exactly as I alleged at my first post and you know that there is no reasonable counter to the Truth!

Secondly, as I had put to you, THERE IS NO ACT THAT IS NOT BACKED UP BY REASON! They are Conjoined Twins!

You are not posting this shit for nothing!
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 12:08am On Oct 18, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

It's too painful for you to read because you Hate Truth, (Bias) exactly as I alleged at my first post and you know that there is no reasonable counter to the Truth!

Secondly, as I had put to you, THERE IS NO ACT THAT IS NOT BACKED UP BY REASON! They are Conjoined Twins!

You are not posting this shit for nothing!
Stop giving yourself false credit.

I didn't read it because what you wrote is utter trash. I only try to be respectful in my previous post not because you spoke any truth.

You keep saying reason, so what reason justifies the sacrifice of Jesus? Is that reason reasonable enough? Do you think other religions offering human/animal sacrifice do so without reasons?

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:17am On Oct 18, 2021
Premiumwriter:
But the Christians took this as nothing. In fact, they use it to preach as though it were nothing but a 'pot of roasted yam in palm oil with a few eggs at a street corner' is sacrilegious to them and a thing that inspires fears.

One of the greatest mystery in Christianity is the sacrifice of Jesus christ. Till today, Christians loathe anything that has to do with human Sacrifices but are quick to call on the blood of Jesus, a human/God supposedly sacrificed to God for the forgiveness of human sins.

If human Sacrifice is the bedrock of Christianity and the basis for the forgiveness of their sins is the blood of another man, then they probably have no right to castigate others appealing to their own gods with lesser blood from lesser animals or even a human equivalent.

Hope I didn't rumble too much. Guys what do you think about this?
There is no mystery regarding the death of Jesus Christ but instead a lack of understanding surrounding the death of Jesus Christ. undecided

Jesus Christ was not a "sacrifice" in the sense you portray. Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Old Covenant by living by it and then giving up his life, this so that those who would chose to follow Him can by adopting Him, be freed from their Old Covenant obligations. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On Oct 18, 2021
illicit:
Anytime u mention ritual
What comes to people's mind is blood money lol
Ritual just means a practise
Ok. However, Jesus Christ's death had nothing to do with a ritual either. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Oct 18, 2021
Premiumwriter:

Human Sacrifice is the bedrock of Christianity. It is the FOUNDATION of Christianity. It is not forbidden.

In fact, the new testament is a transition from animal blood to human blood. Am I wrong with this assertion?
And this is wrong because that is not what the story says of Jesus Christ's death. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 7:42am On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
There is no mystery regarding the death of Jesus Christ but instead a lack of understanding surrounding the death of Jesus Christ. undecided

Jesus Christ was not a "sacrifice" in the sense you portray. Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Old Covenant by living by it and then giving up his life, this so that those who would chose to follow Him can by adopting Him, be freed from their Old Covenant obligations. undecided

I have always been very observant of religious fellows like you and one thing I have come to understand very well is the mental gymnast that you guys are capable of plus the ability to shift goalposts from one extreme to the other without any shame.

Concerning the topic, you are lying and you know it. Every Christian knows that jesus is the replacement for the animal sacrifice in the old testament.

In fact, for most preachers, the covenant of the old testament was sealed by the blood of goats and other animals while that of the new testament by the blood of Jesus.

Saying the death of jesus is not a sacrifice contradicts everything the Bible said about the lamb which was slain for the remission of the sins of the world.

My God, no matter how glorious you try to paint the sacrifice of Jesus, it doesn't take out the basic elements of human Sacrifice:

1. A human blood was involved
2. A God was involved
3. The human was killed to meet a requirement set by the God

Are these true of his death or not?

Like I said, the reason for the death is secondary. Think of this like stealing. The problem is not why someone stole, the problem is that they STOLE. That is the offence.

The reason for killing a man for sacrifice is secondary. The problem is that he was KILLED as a sacrifice.

3 Likes

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Premiumwriter: 7:43am On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
And this is wrong because that is not what the story says of Jesus Christ's death. undecided
so what is the story?
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2021
Premiumwriter:

I have always been very observant of religious fellows like you and one thing I have come to understand very well is the mental gymnast that you guys are capable of plus the ability to shift goalposts from one extreme to the other without any shame.

Concerning the topic, you are lying and you know it. Every Christian knows that jesus is the replacement for the animal sacrifice in the old testament.

In fact, for most preachers, the covenant of the old testament was sealed by the blood of goats and other animals while that of the new testament by the blood of Jesus.

Saying the death of jesus is not a sacrifice contradicts everything the Bible said about the lamb which was slain for the remission of the sins of the world.

My God, no matter how glorious you try to paint the sacrifice of Jesus, it doesn't take out the basic elements of human Sacrifice:

1. A human blood was involved
2. A God was involved
3. The human was killed to meet a requirement set by the God

Are these true of his death or not?

Like I said, the reason for the death is secondary. Think of this like stealing. The problem is not why someone stole, the problem is that they STOLE. That is the offence.

The reason for killing a man for sacrifice is secondary. The problem is that he was KILLED as a sacrifice.
I don't adopt the doctrines and traditions of men , doctrines which you have obviously imbibed yourself. So, I am not every Christian. undecided

Jesus Christ's death was not to do away with the Old Covenant. That Covenant still lives to this day - it is eternal Covenant. So blood of goats and animals, they are still valid to this day. undecided

You mention that the Old Covenant was sealed in the blood of animals, so also was the New Covenant when Jesus Christ's blood was shed on the cross. He didn't need to die if all that wws required was His blood for the sealing of the New Covenant. When Jesus Christ announced on the cross , " it is finished", the New Covenant was sealed at that moment, while He still drew breath. undecided

But Jesus Christ had to die for His mission to serve as Ransome for the sinners of the Old Covenant to be concluded and for for New Covenant, which brought Life to begin for all. He had to give up His life, and be raised from the Dead, we all, previously dead, would be able to obtain Eternal life from Him, Jesus Christ. undecided

Understand that His Death and resurrection was essential to our awakening to the New Covenant. If Jesus Christ had instead died in old age, the entire world have had to remain as was until then for a chance at the New Covenant- His resurrection also. undecided

But what is life and Death to the one who is the embodiment of Eternal life itself? It is not even the blinking of the eye to such. So He chose to give up His life to end His original mission which was to the Lost sheep of Israel, and then rose from the dead so He could throw open the gates of the Kingdom of God and the New Covenant Law that governs it , to the whole world, that those who chose Him will have eternal life granted them by Him. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
Premiumwriter:
so what is the story?
It is written out for you in the 4 Gospels for anyone to read and learn for self. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 2:28pm On Oct 18, 2021
Simple fact is no Christian is going to want to consider that the so called sacrifice of Jesus is a human sacrifice because of how distasteful such a concept is. To me it is evidence that most of them have a stronger moral compass than the god they claim to worship.

2 Likes

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Oct 18, 2021
LordReed:
Simple fact is no Christian is going to want to consider that the so called sacrifice of Jesus is a human sacrifice because of how distasteful such a concept is. To me it is evidence that most of them have a stronger moral compass than the god they claim to worship.
I started off originally believing that Jesus Christ was just that.. a human Sacrifice - a replacement for the animal sacrifice of old.- this until I learned He never was meant as a replacement of the kind. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 2:40pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I started off originally believing that Jesus Christ was just that.. a human Sacrifice - a replacement for the animal sacrifice of old.- this until I learned He never was meant as a replacement of the kind. undecided

Like I said, you have better moral fiber than the god you claim to worship.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Oct 18, 2021
LordReed:
Like I said, you have better moral fiber than the god you claim to worship.
The God I worship has nothing to do with our human morals.... His standard is much higher than mere human morals.. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The God I worship has nothing to do with our human morals.... His standard is much higher than mere human morals.. undecided

No his standard is much lower you just pretend it is higher because how can your morality be higher than your god's own. Your god is prepared to do anything including human sacrifice which you won't do.

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2021
LordReed:
No his standard is much lower you just pretend it is higher because how can your morality be higher than your god's own. Your god is prepared to do anything including human sacrifice which you won't do.
Wrong! His standard is much higher than what we consider human morality. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! His standard is much higher than what we consider human morality. undecided

Nope it's much lower. Your god endorsed slavery for instance but you don't, how then can his standard be higher than yours? You are only pretend it is so that this illusion of a super being can continue in your mind.

1 Like

Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Oct 18, 2021
LordReed:
Nope it's much lower. Your god endorsed slavery for instance but you don't, how then can his standard be higher than yours? You are only pretend it is so that this illusion of a super being can continue in your mind.
If you are referring to the Law of Moses which was given to the Nation of Israel, that Law was a Law that indeed included moral laws. I am not of Israel. undecided
I am called according to the New Covenant which is what I refer to as a standard higher than human morals. undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 3:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
If you are referring to the Law of Moses which was given to the Nation of Israel, that Law was a Law that indeed included moral laws. I am not of Israel. undecided
I am called according to the New Covenant which is what I refer to as a standard higher than human morals. undecided

The so called new covenant does not outlaw slavery.
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
LordReed:
The so called new covenant does not outlaw slavery.
Why would a brand New Law for a Kingdom need to "outlaw" that which was never a part of it to begin with? undecided
Re: Human Sacrifice In Christianity: A Deeper Take by LordReed(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Why would a brand New Law for a Kingdom need to "outlaw" that which was never a part of it to begin with? undecided

Are you now trying to deny that your god endorsed slavery?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Maxindhouse! When Did Satan Get Rulership Of Earth? / Breaking News: Norway Will No Longer Fund Jehovah's Witnesses / When You Realise You Have Been Manipulated For 2000 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.