Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,816 members, 7,831,657 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others (1160 Views)

June 12: US advises citizens in Nigeria ahead of Nationwide protests / FEC Approves N654 Million To Monitor Frequencies In South-east, Others / UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by blamingthedevil: 3:57pm On Oct 17, 2021
The United Kingdom (UK) says Boko Haram insurgents are likely to kidnap foreign nationals, warning its citizens against travelling to twelve states in Nigeria.

The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) announced this on Friday in a travel advisory for its nationals.

The UK government said there is a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria for ideological, financial or political gain.

“The groups have previously shown intent and capability to conduct kidnaps in Nigeria. Foreign nationals, including humanitarian workers, are likely targets for kidnap. Humanitarian hubs and humanitarian workers have been targeted during attacks in the North East, including Monguno, Borno State on 13 June 2020,” the advisory reads.

There’s a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria. Kidnaps can be motivated by criminality or terrorism and could be carried out for ideological, financial or political gain. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the risk of kidnap increases after dark.

“The security environment in the North East has deteriorated since 2018 and there is a heightened risk of kidnap. Kidnaps in the North East have included humanitarian and private sector workers. There are also reports that Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa (ISWA) are continuing to actively plan to kidnap foreigners. As well as in North-East Nigeria, extremist groups operate in some northern and middle belt states including Bauchi, Gombe, Kano, Kogi, Kaduna, Niger and Adamawa states. If you’re working or travelling in these States then you should be aware of the risk of terrorist kidnapping.”

The UK government also advised its citizens to be careful as events to mark the one year anniversary of #EndSARS protests may lead to additional protests in Lagos and Abuja.

Advertisement
The government also said the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), scheduled for October 21 may lead to protests and heightened security presence in Abuja and in the south-east.

Since 9 August, there has been an increase in protests and demonstrations in the South East region of Nigeria. Protests, including “Stay at Home” protests, are likely during October in the South East region. There have been reports of violence during Stay at Home protests previously. You should monitor local media, avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings and follow any instructions from local police and security forces,” the advisory further reads.

“There have been a number of attacks and targeted killings in the South-east and Southsouth regions of Nigeria, including in the states of Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Imo, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Edo and Ebonyi. Some of these attacks have been on isolated roads and in remote locations, but there is a chance that they could occur in metropolitan areas. There is also a heightened risk of indiscriminate attacks on police and security infrastructure, which may inadvertently affect bystanders.

“A number of states have imposed curfews. Travellers to these regions are advised to exercise caution if travelling in remote areas at night and follow local news and information outlets for further information, including on local curfews.”

https://www.thecable.ng/full-list-uk-advises-citizens-against-travelling-to-12-nigerian-states
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by baralatie(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2021
blamingthedevil:
The United Kingdom (UK) says Boko Haram insurgents are likely to kidnap foreign nationals, warning its citizens against travelling to twelve states in Nigeria.

The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) announced this on Friday in a travel advisory for its nationals.

The UK government said there is a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria for ideological, financial or political gain.

“The groups have previously shown intent and capability to conduct kidnaps in Nigeria. Foreign nationals, including humanitarian workers, are likely targets for kidnap. Humanitarian hubs and humanitarian workers have been targeted during attacks in the North East, including Monguno, Borno State on 13 June 2020,” the advisory reads.

There’s a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria. Kidnaps can be motivated by criminality or terrorism and could be carried out for ideological, financial or political gain. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the risk of kidnap increases after dark.

“The security environment in the North East has deteriorated since 2018 and there is a heightened risk of kidnap. Kidnaps in the North East have included humanitarian and private sector workers. There are also reports that Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa (ISWA) are continuing to actively plan to kidnap foreigners. As well as in North-East Nigeria, extremist groups operate in some northern and middle belt states including Bauchi, Gombe, Kano, Kogi, Kaduna, Niger and Adamawa states. If you’re working or travelling in these States then you should be aware of the risk of terrorist kidnapping.”

The UK government also advised its citizens to be careful as events to mark the one year anniversary of #EndSARS protests may lead to additional protests in Lagos and Abuja.

Advertisement
The government also said the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), scheduled for October 21 may lead to protests and heightened security presence in Abuja and in the south-east.

Since 9 August, there has been an increase in protests and demonstrations in the South East region of Nigeria. Protests, including “Stay at Home” protests, are likely during October in the South East region. There have been reports of violence during Stay at Home protests previously. You should monitor local media, avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings and follow any instructions from local police and security forces,” the advisory further reads.

“There have been a number of attacks and targeted killings in the South-east and Southsouth regions of Nigeria, including in the states of Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Imo, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Edo and Ebonyi. Some of these attacks have been on isolated roads and in remote locations, but there is a chance that they could occur in metropolitan areas. There is also a heightened risk of indiscriminate attacks on police and security infrastructure, which may inadvertently affect bystanders.

“A number of states have imposed curfews. Travellers to these regions are advised to exercise caution if travelling in remote areas at night and follow local news and information outlets for further information, including on local curfews.”

https://www.thecable.ng/full-list-uk-advises-citizens-against-travelling-to-12-nigerian-states
Gradually!
South east is falling to disrepute with the aid of ipob

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2021
The UK was talking about Nigeria as a whole but this bigoted OP singled out the east just to paint it black. I blame the mods

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2021
OP, stop peddling falsehood

Lagos was mentioned in the article because of The killings that happened at Lekki toll gate on the order of Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by googlepikins: 4:02pm On Oct 17, 2021
What is UK citizens doing in Nigeria sef
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
Lagos too was mentioned
The full report was talking about Nigeria as a whole but this OP decided to display his stupidity on a public forum

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2021
baralatie:

Gradually!
Was it only south east that was mentioned in the full report. Is Lagos and Abuja in south east too? Tribalism has damaged your sense of reasoning

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:07pm On Oct 17, 2021
Fahdiga:
Was it only south east that was mentioned in the full report. Is Lagos and Abuja in south east too? Tribalism has damaged your sense of reasoning
I saw that Lagos too was mentioned because of the killings that took place at Lekki toll gate during the Endsars protest

The OP is on drugs

1 Like

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

I saw that Lagos too was mentioned because of the killed that took place at Lekki toll gate during the Endsars protest

The OP is on drugs
Everyone can now see that nairaland is anti Igbo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:13pm On Oct 17, 2021
Fahdiga:
Everyone can now see that Igbo is anti nairaland
I don fix am for u

1 Like

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nigerialabalaba:

I don fix am for u
You fixed nothing , your headline is different from the link you posted here

The headline says " Full list, UK advices citizens against traveling to 12 Nigerian state "

Lagos and Abuja among the 12 states mentioned but you decided to write south east

4 Likes

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nwaotu10(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2021
Bigoted op edited Lagos and other SW States that was mentioned in the article out. grin grin
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PentiumPro(f): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
OP, stop peddling falsehood

Lagos was mentioned in the article because of The killings that happened at Lekki toll gate on the order of Tinubu

Mention names of those killed
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by after4: 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2021
Say it without crying

baralatie:

Gradually!
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:21pm On Oct 17, 2021
FakePrinceOfLagos:

You fixed nothing , your headline is different from the link you posted here

People like you should never have access to Nairaland for the way you create hate on tribes against the other

lailai! No be me. Me I no get wahala with the ibo race, na those IPOB terrorists in the day and overseas drug pushers and criminal igbos for night wey dey give ibo bad name dey vex me. How sufferhead like you dey support dem I still never reason am well,abi you be terrorist or diaspora drug pushers too. I no think so. D only tin I know you be na impostor wey dey impersonate authentic princes from Lagos .
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by ScamHunter: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2021
If you want to feel relevant in Nigeria, just mention Igbo, the only tribe that their lives matter.
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nigerialabalaba:
lailai! No be me. Me I no get wahala with the ibo race, na those IPOB terrorists in the day and overseas drug pushers and criminal igbos for night wey dey give ibo bad name dey vex me. How sufferhead like you dey support dem I still never reason am well,abi you be terrorist or diaspora drug pushers too. I no think so.
Now I see why you had to falsely mention the south east in your bullshit

The hate is obvious

Are the Igbos the reason you're yet to progress in life ?

Just asking o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2021
FakePrinceOfLagos:

[s]Now I see why you had to falsely mention the south east in your bullshit

The hate is obvious

Just asking o[/s]
You wey be impostor dey preach too?

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2021
blamingthedevil:

Advertisement

Very good news UK now knows that Nigeria is finished and Nigerian security forces ARE finished they cannot protect the people. Ipob must capitalise on this
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nigerialabalaba:
You wey be impostor dey preach too?
I will keep bursting your lies with truth
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:30pm On Oct 17, 2021
FakePrinceOfLagos:

I will keep bursting your lies with truth

Oga, which lie? Abeg which royal family you come from for Lasgidi? Very soon, DSS go recieve petition about you impostor wey dey here dey impersonate.
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nigerialabalaba:

Oga, which lie? Abeg which royal family you come from for Lasgidi? Very soon, DSS go recieve petition about you impostor wey dey here dey impersonate.
Stop deviating and fix your lies

Why so much hate on tribe that ain't the reason you're not making money ?
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2021
FakePrinceOfLagos:

Stop deviating and fix your lies

Why so much hate on tribe that ain't the reason you're not making money ?

No worry. U still tink say na play to dey impersonate online.
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nigerialabalaba:

No worry. U still tink say na play to dey impersonate online.
Say No to drugs you no go hear word

I go dey monitor you henceforth to burst every of your fake news against an innocent tribe , the Igbos .
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Buckeyemedia1: 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2021
Fahdiga:
The UK was talking about Nigeria as a whole but this bigoted OP singled out the east just to paint it black. I blame the mods
Sure, no British Citizen should travel to The East on Monday’s sit @ home?
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:38pm On Oct 17, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Sure, no British Citizen should travel to The East on Monday’s sit @ home?
Lagos and Abuja was mentioned too or are they now in the east?
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Buckeyemedia1: 4:39pm On Oct 17, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Now I see why you had to falsely mention the south east in your bullshit

The hate is obvious

Just asking o
Keep deceiving yourself, destroying Nigeria, Useless Ipob Terrorist, you will tell Oyibo you are fighting for Biafra freedom, Boko Haram will say they are fighting for Islamic freedom?
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Nigerialabalaba: 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2021
FakePrinceOfLagos:

Say No to drugs you no go hear word

I go dey monitor you henceforth to burst every of your fake news against an innocent tribe , the Igbos .
From an impostor?

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by PrinceOfLagos: 4:41pm On Oct 17, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Keep deceiving yourself, destroying Nigeria, Useless Ipob Terrorist.
Call me whatever you like , your blog wey na only you dey patronize

Na only you dey visit your blog because it's filled with lies

Go find another work do oga
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Buckeyemedia1: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2021
Fahdiga:
Lagos and Abuja was mentioned too or are they now in the east?
Please you people should stop destroying the image of Nigeria more than it already is with all these senseless agitation playing politics with ipob & Boko Haram, the ones shouting Oduduwa are not serious.
Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Buckeyemedia1: 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Call me whatever you like , your blog wey na only you dey patronize

Na only you dey visit your blog because it's filled with lies

Go find another work do oga
Which blog? Why are you not on a biafran. forum, why come to Nairaland Nigeria to disturb us, or did you not notice the website theme is green & white? Did you see any rising sun insignia anywhere on Nairaland?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Citizens Against Travelling To South East, Others by Fahdiga(m): 4:47pm On Oct 17, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Please you people should stop destroying the image of Nigeria more than it already is with all these senseless agitation playing politics with ipob & Boko Haram, the ones shouting Oduduwa are not serious.
And don't fail to tell this discredited regime that you support on a daily basis to stop disgracing Nigeria with their monumental failures in all ramifications

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smoke Grenade Deployed At Onitsha By Unknown Gunmen / The Economy Of Anambra Is 2 Times Larger Than The Economy Of Niger Republic / FG To Pay Nnamdi Kanu 1bn For Violation Of His Right,high Court Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.